Sony: Vita Sells 1.2 Million Worldwide

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, today announced that the sales of the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system reached over 1.2 million units worldwide as of February 26, 2012. PS Vita experienced an initial burst of momentum when it launched on December 17, 2011 in Japan followed by Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. Newly launched in North and Latin America, Europe and PAL territories as well as in Singapore on February 22, 2012, sales have exceeded expectations surpassing over 1.2 million units worldwide, firmly establishing PS Vita as the must-have portable entertainment device across the world. Software sales across the globe have surpassed 2.0 million units at both retail and on PlayStation®Network.

“PS Vita was designed to deliver the ultimate portable entertainment experience, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with the reaction we’re seeing from consumers and the pace at which PS Vita is selling,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “The market has responded and there is clear demand for a mobile device capable of providing a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. To sustain momentum, we’re working closely with 3rd party developers and publishers to ensure the best games and franchises possible will be available on PS Vita, and our software line up for the remainder of 2012 will have something for everyone across the globe.”

PS Vita introduces new ways to play, delivering deep and immersive gameplay experiences that have never been offered on any other handheld gaming device. Equipped with dual analog sticks, a vibrant 5-inch high definition OLED multi-touch screen, powerful quad core processor, six-axis motion sensing system, built in microphone, and front and rear cameras, PS Vita is the ultimate portable entertainment system. In addition to the ultimate portable gaming experience, by having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for users to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with friends wherever they are.

With more than 25 titles currently available in North and Latin America, Europe and the PAL territories and Japan* respectively including EA SPORTS FIFA Football, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom®3 from Capcom, UNCHARTEDTM: Golden Abyss, WipEout® 2048 and Escape Plan from SCE Worldwide Studios, as well as over 70 titles in development, PS Vita is poised to drive continued momentum across the globe.
Sony have just released that press statement.

Pretty nice going!

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
wow. Thats actually pretty impressive. i figured right off the bat world wide sales would reach around the 800K mark with the NA and EU launch, but 1.2 million was a lot more than i couldve thought. Nice job Sony.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I figured around 1.2 million actually, on another forum. :)

I can't find the press release though, but I have found several references to it, just like this thread.

I saw the news on Neogaf, but it's cropping up all over the show. like here:

http://www.gamepur.com/news/7199-sony-playstation-vita-sells-over-12-million-units-worldwide.html

Do Sony only release these statements to like a dedicated PR site which the average joe does not have access too. Or do they do what like retailers do in this country and actually just release this statement to the press in say a email?

Edit:

Does anyone know if when they 'sell' do they actually mean shipped. Because if so, that puts a whole different light on it imo.

Last edited:

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5779857]Does anyone know if when they 'sell' do they actually mean shipped. Because if so, that puts a whole different light on it imo.[/QUOTE]

All sales figures released by Sony (or MS for that matter) are shipped to retailer numbers. Since retailers aren't required to report numbers sold, it is impossible to accurately say how many are in people's hands.

All I can say is nice numbers for the first week... now, let's see if NA holds strong unlike Japan!

I am waiting for a price drop to get mine, simply because I can't really afford to run out and pay this higher price, but it is a pretty cool piece of tech.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5779868]So going off the Japan sales figures not too long ago it's safe to assume this kind of split:

Japan - 578,000
Other territories - 622,000[/QUOTE]

I would say so :)

Hope I didn't come across wrong, I think these are good sales.. but in Japan they went from nearly 80K to under 18K in the first week and are now below 13K... not bad sales, but a sharp drop off after 1st adopters.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="EatSleepAndPlay, post: 5779880]Once the price drops...[/QUOTE]

yeah.. as of Jan, Eurogamer is saying the 3DS has sold 6.7 Million world wide, with over 4 Million in the US alone. Spurred mostly by the price cut.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5779857]I saw the news on Neogaf, but it's cropping up all over the show. like here:

http://www.gamepur.com/news/7199-sony-playstation-vita-sells-over-12-million-units-worldwide.html

Do Sony only release these statements to like a dedicated PR site which the average joe does not have access too. Or do they do what like retailers do in this country and actually just release this statement to the press in say a email?

Edit:

Does anyone know if when they 'sell' do they actually mean shipped. Because if so, that puts a whole different light on it imo.[/QUOTE]
I read elsewhere, showing the same "release", that it's actually SOLD numbers, and not shipped.
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5779862]Can the Vita surpass the 3Ds tho? I think so.[/QUOTE]
You're very optimistic... I doubt it'll pass the 3ds. It will need a massive price drop. Is Sony willing to do that? I doubt it. Every month we have this large price discrepancy, the 3ds will pull away even further. If the numbers drop sharply like they did after the JPN launch, that will seal the deal, and Sony will have to price drop it within a couple of months.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5779912]I read elsewhere, showing the same "release", that it's actually SOLD numbers, and not shipped.
[/QUOTE]

We got the press release in email.. it doesn't specify. So going on past statistics, I say it is safe to assume these are shipped (sold) to retailers.

Doesn't matter how many make it into consumers hands, Sony has already been paid for the number they shipped. It is then up to the retailer to make their money :)

So, yes, Sony sold 1.2Mil Vitas... but how many are being held in hand right now? Best guess scenarios will have to come into play.

S

Soldier 95B

Japan sold 500k in the first week, yet the US only sold 600k? Less than I expected. The population is 127 million vs. 311 million. This tells me that per capita, this will be much more successful in Japan than here in the U.S. It also tells me that a sales drop will be needed. Sony has stated they are happy with the sales and the price. If that is the case, then it must be on the way to being successful, similar to the way the PS3 has been.

Last edited:

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
Yeah 1.2m isn't very impressive, when factoring in Japan/HK/etc sales in there

600k for EU/US seems low

But hey, you'd imagine most of those 1.2m Vitas would have had a [cash grabbing] memory card sold alongside it, so at least Sony's got to be making some profit on these things

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
I think there are shitloads of Vita owners-to be. People holding off for financial reasons or for more software. I'm confident of Vitas success. When the assassins creeds, bioshocks, cods etc come, sales will sail.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5780074]I just think the masses are done paying $250+ for a handheld...[/QUOTE]

And the sales are backing that observation up.

I really think sales would be tons higher at 199.99 and 249.99.. i know it isn't the biggest difference in price, but it is all perception in advertising. 299 sounds like a lot more than 249

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Welp, just bought a wi-fi model off Amazon brand new for 200 bucks, so I'm really excited. That extra fifty that I didn't want to spend can now go towards a card and game. :lol:

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5780074]I just think the masses are done paying $250+ for a handheld...[/QUOTE]

The prices for the memory cards certainly don't help either.

Jun 4, 2007
I still haven't seen where that ad money has went other than taco bell.

I want a vita but I'm definitely not paying more for it than I paid for my ps3 but check this...a ps3 + psvita uncharted bundle(all the uncharted games) for $400 next year. Sony needs to start thinking outside the box. Give a little, make a lot back from software sales and those fucked up memory card prices.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5780119]I still haven't seen where that ad money has went other than taco bell. I want a vita but I'm definitely not paying more for it than I paid for my ps3 but check this...a ps3 + psvita uncharted bundle(all the uncharted games) for $400 next year. Sony needs to start thinking outside the box. Give a little, make a lot back from software sales and those fucked up memory card prices.[/QUOTE] Actually I've been seeing 3 different Vita commercials being played alot on certain channels. Especially when wrestling is on both with TNA and WWE.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 5780131]Actually I've been seeing 3 different Vita commercials being played alot on certain channels. Especially when wrestling is on both with TNA and WWE.[/QUOTE]

Yeh I've seen adverts in between sports as well, I noticed one came on after the football when I was in the pub saturday.

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
Software sales currently number around 2 million, Sony states, meaning that each purchaser has bought (almost) two games each on average.
Thats because of the promotion. DUH. lol.