Sony's Internal development tool creation framework is going open source.

Demi_God

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2013
Icy hot of the north
Got this off of neogaf with a supported link. http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828358

Authoring Tools Framework (ATF) is a set of C#/.NET components for making game development tools on Windows. ATF has been in development for over 8 years and has been used to make many custom tools such as Naughty Dog's level editor and shader editor for The Last of Us, Guerrilla Game's sequence editor for Killzone: Shadow Fall, an animation blending tool at Santa Monica Studios, a level editor at Bend Studio, a visual state machine editor for Quantic Dream, and many others. After many years of proprietary releases, ATF is now being released as an open source project on GitHub.

Takeaway

This talk will introduce the open source project and demonstrate some of the many components ATF offers to streamline tool development. The extensible framework and efficient, well-tested components provide everything from common tasks like property editing and windows docking to higher-level functionality like circuit and timeline editing.
I didn't know where to put this, hmmmm. hopefully this is fine.

Julz

Apprentice
Dec 6, 2007
[QUOTE="IshTing, post: 6316833]Anyone care to dumb it down?[/QUOTE]

Its quicker, easier and cheaper for third parties to create dev tools and game engines.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Julz, post: 6316838]Its quicker, easier and cheaper for third parties to create dev tools and game engines.[/QUOTE] Yep, pretty awesome.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6317358]pfft.....c\c++ fanboy.

:p[/QUOTE]

There is something about .net that screams "code bloat"..oh wait it's MS code....thaaats why.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6317360]There is something about .net that screams "code bloat"..oh wait it's MS code....thaaats why.[/QUOTE]

There is some bloat. But is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. I've decompiled some of the assemblies. The newer stuff is pretty good code which is why I rail at my developers who still use stuff like data table objects (old, bloated shit) instead of generic lists (newer, better).

Either way, there are a ton of game companies that are using .Net for tools and interfaces.

Julz

Apprentice
Dec 6, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6317357]I don't code in C#, thats all.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, this is aimed at high quality professional coders working on actual games, tools, engines not hobbyists that like to talk big online.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Julz, post: 6317896]Don't worry, this is aimed at high quality professional coders working on actual games, tools, engines not hobbyists that like to talk big online.[/QUOTE]

<--- Is what I'm actually doing right now

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
[QUOTE="Julz, post: 6317896]Don't worry, this is aimed at high quality professional coders working on actual games, tools, engines not hobbyists that like to talk big online.[/QUOTE]

Well damn, that escalated quickly

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under

Lol, tools fine, actual games, nobody professional uses c#.

Surprised a pro sony site would have so many defenders of a Microsoft framework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julz

Apprentice
Dec 6, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6317974]Lol, tools fine, actual games, nobody professional uses c#.

Surprised a pro sony site would have so many defenders of a Microsoft framework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone will believe you one day.

Read my post again, comprehend that games use engines and tools. Coders working on games create engines and tools it requires - these tools and engines are then modified by the coders working on games as and when the game requires such throughout development. Some coders work for middleware companies where they just make tools, or engines.

This framework is aimed at them. But i suppose they are all amateurs compared to... I'm sorry what game do you work on again?

Not hobbyists.

I'm suprised a microsoft fan would spend 8 years stalking a playstation forum a constant stream of negativity. Quite bizarre, really.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Julz, post: 6318120]

Maybe someone will believe you one day. [/quote]
Oh plenty of people believe me, I actually have done some engine work myself. You mor ethan welcome to see my early work at www.myndspy.com.
The code is coming up 9 years old so it's not my most recent work.

Read my post again, comprehend that games use engines and tools. Coders working on games create engines and tools it requires
And I am telling you no professional engine runs in c#, you don't have the fine granular memory control you really require.

Yes there are layers it can be used for, just like people use python, LUA etc for their scripting.
- these tools and engines are then modified by the coders working on games as and when the game requires such throughout development. Some coders work for middleware companies where they just make tools, or engines.

This framework is aimed at them. But i suppose they are all amateurs compared to... I'm sorry what game do you work on again?

Not hobbyists.
I owned a company and did this for a living for a period of time, thanks.
Yes, several c# tools and and ancillary programmers can work in c# and be modified into producing data that will run in you engine. UDK from memory uses some c# for scripting.
I'm suprised a microsoft fan would spend 8 years stalking a playstation forum a constant stream of negativity. Quite bizarre, really.
<sighs>

Really, all this cause I said I don't program in c#?
Oversensitive much.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Gotta admit, Mynd. I'm not a programmer (haven't done real programming since I was about 12 years old, anyhow) but I am kind of surprised by the C# and .net thing, too. Why on earth would they use proprietary MS stuff to make PS3 / PS4 games? The confirmation from you about how much they suck (which I kind of guessed, especially .net) just adds to that confusion.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
guerrilla-games[/URL] use .Net and C# for a variety of reasons including tools and server software

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that Sony would use Microsoft technology. I believe Visual Studio is the IDE they are using to program their games.

edit: when I say it is inadequate, I'm talking about games that require high levels of performance. You can create a game on an iPhone or Android just fine using C# and Monotouch.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
As Christopher says, its a certain tool for a certain task, fast prototyping of windows apps etc, its ideal.
There is nothing particularly wrong with C# for that sort of work at all.

Last edited:

skinny_jr

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2007
Montréal
That shows how little you know mynd since most of the dev use c and c++. It's just that they are not using the Visual studio compiler.... Sigh!!

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="skinny_jr, post: 6319702]I do, so thank you SONY!!!![/QUOTE]

You may want to check these out as well:

http://www.deltaengine.net/

[QUOTE="skinny_jr, post: 6319714]That shows how little you know mynd since most of the dev use c and c++. It's just that they are not using the Visual studio compiler.... Sigh!![/QUOTE]

Umm, most use Visual Studio, hell its even the defacto programing tool for PS4:

The development environment coders will use is based on Windows 7 and fully integrated with Visual Studio 2010 and 2012, allowing developers to debug PS4 code just like PC code. Tools will include C and C++ front ends that are largely compatible with most standard compilers, and various binary utilities, including CPU and GPU analyzers that can run in real time alongside games. Development houses will also be able to distribute tool and version updates to multiple dev kits more easily through a tool integrated into Windows Explorer.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...4s-hardware-power-controller-features-at-gdc/

Me personally, I've just updated to VS2013.

Last edited:

skinny_jr

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2007
Montréal

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="skinny_jr, post: 6319728]It is the defacto for PS4, but not for the entire industry. I'm coding on my phone in c++ but i'm not using visual...[/QUOTE]

Oh there are other IDE/compilers out there for sure.