Sony's Yoshida: We Don't Know if We Can Ever Change PSN IDs

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Changing your PSN ID might not ever be possible.

Talking to fans via PlayStation France's official Twitter account, PlayStation boss Shuhei Yoshida admitted that though the company knows such a feature would be welcomed, he's unsure if it can even be done.

When asked if the feature would ever come to PSN, Yoshida said in a video response: "I wish I know! We are aware lots of people are asking for the feature, and our engineers have been looking into what they can do.

"As soon as we know, you know, we will let you know, but as of today, we don't even know if we can ever do it. Hopefully, we will be able to provide that feature in the future."
Why don't they just ask Microsoft :snicker

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
To be honest it's not a feature that bothers me either but it is a highly requested feature, I would be very surprised if they couldn't implement anything at all......

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
It is possible.
Instead of giving us stupid communities that are pretty stupid on PS4, just give us damn ID change -.-

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
The thing is it's not quite as simple as changing one's name, it can affect every online game out there and cause network crashes. I'm not sure how others have been doing their netcode or how Sony have been doing it, but if they've been doing it all based on the username then they've properly shot themselves in the foot, if there was an ID based system then it's simple.

However if they are using the ID system yet their API only provides game developers the username then this is where the issue stands and, like Shu has said, could literally mean that it's not possible unless they update their API and all of the game devs start changing their netcode. That in itself is a ridiculously large project to undertake.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6484787]It is possible.
Instead of giving us stupid communities that are pretty stupid on PS4, just give us damn ID change -.-[/QUOTE]
Communities on PS4 are perfect for games you own and socially active on them. People should've chose usernames more wisely, it's not like the change username option has been removed, people new it wasn't possible when they created their initial ID.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6484792]Communities on PS4 are perfect for games you own and socially active on them. People should've chose usernames more wisely, it's not like the change username option has been removed, people new it wasn't possible when they created their initial ID.[/QUOTE]
I agree. And the community page has been very handy for putting together Destiny raids. I've made alot of new friends that way as well. Its a great feature. I would rather see friend notifications than name changes.