[SPOILERS] Star Wars : The Force Awakens Discussion

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Consider this thread a place to come AFTER you have seen the movie and have a discussion about it. You have been warned.
I'm gonna blank a few lines cause I know taptalk just doesn't respect spoiler tags.

I'm gonna quickly go over the positives a minus's of the movie in general first from a production point of view...

POSITIVES
-Harrison Ford was fantastic, he was Han Solo to the core in this movie.
-Rey is by far the best new character, smart clever and capable
-BB8 is too adorable.
-Fin was well fleshed out.
-Kylo Ren is a good bad guy, hes not a great bad guy but the movie is at pains to say, hes not supposed to be.
-Everything else.

NEGATIVES
-The pacing. The movie suffers from trying to do so much at times, I felt the entire Phasma/Shields plot scenes was (whilst a key element to the actual movie) very much rushed.
-Phasma- speaking of which, did anyone clock her screen time? Did it get beyond 2 minutes?
-Some plot elements felt re-used form the original trilogy.
-Poe Dameron, Poe's story is just missing, he bookends the movie, for a character so important, a couple of scenes detailing his escape from Jakuu would be appreciated, and would have broken up the Fin/Rey/Solo rollercoaster.
-My biggest gripe and it happens so early in the movie I really was fearing the worst, was the frozen blaster shot.
That's never happened in Star Wars, nor has it ever been hinted at. Is it too powerfull? Hell yes, we are talking about freezing time here folks. Deflect, yup we've seen the force deflect blaster bolts, we've even seen the force grab stuff out of mid air and throw it away, but always when being wielded by someone. Kyloe appears to thorw a "Force Pause" out there at an object then snap his finger to hit resume on it.
Get rid of it, delete it please JJ it doesn't need to be there.

Ok some plot discussion/questions...

-It appears the "resistance" is the military arm of the republic. Why the name change? Why not just stick with the new republic?

-I loved Kylo's real name, such a homage.

-Rey is awesome, she is a strong female character that simply gets on with things.

-Who the fuck IS Snoake? Dam, he is looks awesome , but I need to know more!

-Who the fuck IS Rey? Kylo seemed to know of her, why was he so interested that he dragged that imperial captain across the room by the throat? I hope we see more of her origins in the next movie.

-Phasma MUST get more screen time next movie, both her and Kylo are being set up for major roles.

-The map needs explaining, if you think about it its actually the key plot driver for the whole movie and yet we have no idea how it came into being? Who gave a bits of it to R2, and who gave bits to the guy on Jakuu? If Luke cant explain this map in the next movie, then well fuck me I'm going to have to point out that the new trilogy is stupid.

-The New Order just destroyed the republic senate, and from the sounds of it most of the fleet. That certainly sets them up for a more even fight

-Should it really be that easy to sneak in and out of an imperial base?

- Is this the first Star Wars movie to use a flash back?

-Was that Courascant they blew up?

-Han, Han Han, we finally got to see the legendary smuggler and Rouge in action, this was a wet dream for most Star Wars fans, we all know his background and it was always hinted at that he was a legendary smuggler, but to see it on screen? That was awesome stuff.

-Smart of Han to have a tracker on the Falcon, as soon she fired up he was on his way.

-It took Han this long to finally decide to try Chewie's bow-caster? LOL.

-The Falcon oh baby you don't get the love you deserve. I've never seen the Falcon get so badly treated.
She takes a lickin but still keeps ticken.

-Last but not least..
R.I.P. You will be missed but your light shone bright as it ever did in this movie. ( I dont think it was really a surprise that it was going to happen)

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I had a whole fucki n g boom written of my impressions and my tablet crashed. Once I come down off this rage I'll post again. Because one fuck up by this thing and I'll have no more tablet. I'm fuck livid right now. It's getting beatings as I type!!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
OK back to try this again. I waiting to come in here because I wanted to let my emotions die down before posting my impressions. So here they are.

SPOILERS!!!!! DO NOT LOOK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!

Positives

A movie that actually pays respect to what the franchise is about! Thank you JJ

Lets talk a few characters:

Kylo Ren. Awesome new villain. His desperation to be as dark as possible and fight the light side is very intriguing. Everything about him is awesome. His mask is fucking sweet! Ready to hear why he abandoned Luke to turn evil. I also like how unstable he is.

Rey. Oh man this is my favorite new character. She has that Jason Bourne element to her. She's discovering all these new talents that she is very good with. She is by far the most intriguing of the new roster.

Finn. His character is very fun on screen. A nice spiceup to have someone who isn't Han cracking the jokes and making me laugh

Poe. I like Oscar a Isaac a lot so I'm looking forward to him and his story. Unfortunately now we just know, be might possibly be the best pilot Star Wars had ever seen.

Moving on.

The on screen magic is back! The dog fights aren't thrown in the beginning and forgotten, characters are enjoyable, story keeps you guessing, and the action is plentiful while not taking away from the characters. They nailed it.

Starkiller 1! Are you shitting me?! A Death star that absorbs Sun energy and can destroy 5 planets at once?!

The First Order feels more fractional now compared to the previous dictator Star Wars regimes. Like when General Hux calls out Ren to Snoke. Before that would get you throat crushed.

The Han death although many of us likely saw it coming from a mile away was not cheesy and had purpose. Ren is striving to be as Dark as possible. Not to mention the while killing your father to become dark was very apparent in OG.

Comedy. Man, i laughed legitimately a few times in this. Odd before because it was usually only Han .

It honestly just shows us... we didn't need those prequels. :(

Redesign of the TIE Fighter is sweet looking.

The mystery. This goes hand in hand with one of my negatives. But the mystery makes the movie that much more intriguing.

The Trailers were done superbly. I was mostly pleasantly surprised by the fact that Rey, not Finn, turned out to be the al l New bad as s Jedi. Props for they way they edited them and left out any traces of hints to that. I was most surprised by that.

I'll say this before my negatives. No movie is perfect but imo we really couldn't have asked for a much better SW movie. So I still stand by my 10/10.

Negatives

Abrams as well as he said bringing back the magic played it too safe with the story. More could have been revealed and possibly opened more possibilities in the future

Basically a New Hope remake. But honestly isn't that mostly what we were looking for. Lol

Some characters were just not introduced enough. Like Poe, Phasma, and Hux. You can tell these are likely going to be plot characters so why not bring them up more.

Snoke hologram was just fucking Cheesy. I really hope he isn't that big because that's going to really bum me out. I'm just hoping that was just some big ass elaborate hologram room for no reason. Although it would be funny if he's yodas size. Lol

Too many questions! Damn you Abrams.

Cliff Hanger ending isn't SW style but it's not a huge deal

Finn's ability with a lightsaber. I'm willing to forgive Rey's until I know more but he was well about a beginner's level with it for picking up for the first time.

I'll post more negs and posi when I watch it again.

Questions

Who was the old ally in the beginning?

Rey. Holy shit what a mynd fuck of a character she is. Everything about her is mysterious.

Finn's family?

Does everyone know what Rey is but is keeping it from her?

Are there more Jedi's coming into Bloodlines? 30+ years is a long time.

Why find Ren leave Luke and turn dark?

What does Kylo Ren's name mean?

Speculations

Rey and Ren were training under Luke at one point together. Could explain a bunch of scenes. Her amazing ability to use the force, her lightsaber skills, her knowledge of mind control. Rey has been trained for sure. Think that was why Ren might have turned to the dark because he knew he wasn't as strong as her with the force which is also apparent. Does she remember? But I feel for certain she was Luke's apprentice and not his daughter like many think. Personally I think she might be Obi-wans granddaughter.

This is prior knowledge from my cousin. But minor spoilers if you don't want to know. Wouldn't really change change much.
Poe and Ren are Step brothers of sorts. Leia raised him along side Ren.
Just heard that's been heavily implied

This is popular internet speculation but Snoke is Darth Plagius, Palpatine's master. Don't know though.

R2 awoke due to Rey's presence

Han isn't really dead... oh forgot this isn't a wish list.

It's been a thought provoking 24 hours and my mind still hasn't recovered. I'm just ready for my more grounded second viewing with my nephew next week. Also I'll be able to catch more since I'm not overcome with joy. But consider me one happy star wars fan!

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Positive:

Story, new characters, old characters, cross guard lightsaber, new force powers, bb8, chewie, empire and stormtroopers are not as incompetent as in the original trilogy but rather scary and badass. Millenium Falcon, Kylo Ren not being like Darth Maul and only being given a few minutes of screen time and a crappy death. Sweet.

Negative:

Awkward ending. That shot should have been cut shorter. It makes sense, but it's just awkward. Music didn't have as much of an effect on me like in the original trilogy. But there's still two movies left and I'm sure it'll grow on me. Lots of scenes that feel like parallels to A New Hope. I think this was relying just a tad much on fan service. Starkiller base gets blown up too easily. The point of building it is to AVOID the same mistakes your predecessors made in the previous war. I'm just hoping they have something even bigger in the next two movies, cause this is gonna be a pretty tall order to surpass.

Speculation:

I honestly don't think Kylo Ren or Snoke are Siths. They use the dark side and its powers, but they really don't act like a traditional sith. They're more military strength and think like the Empire than the Dark Side. Even Snoke is more understanding to Kylo Ren's failures during this movie. He doesn't seem like a prick like Palpatine was. And that giant hologram of him I think is just for theatrics, to appear really intimidating. If you remember, the first appearance of the Emporer in Empire Strikes Back; he was a hologram, but looked like a big hologram. I think Snoke is tall, but no giant. And he's a creature. He's another race. I wonder if he's some ancient being. Maybe he's actually a God. But I'm very interested in his story.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
Positives
There were a few for me. The characters and how they interact was one of the biggest though. The prequels had characters interacting like robots, barely emoting at all. But the way Finn and Poe or Finn and Rey made it feel like real characters genuinely interacting with each other. Joking, mocking and talking the way they did in the original trilogy, which is what made the character so likable. Because they felt human. I had a fear that Ford would just be playing Ford. But I could hear Han Solo, when he called "Cmon Chewie!", I got goosebumps, he hadn't lost his touch at all and I loved it.

The effects. Thank God JJ was a fan of practical effects and action. Cause the action in this movie was just amazing. The flying battles and ground battles looked phenomenal. The characters looked great with CGI used some but not to excess, relying mostly on practical effects brought back the feeling and look of the originals.

The lightsaber battle. While there was not a lot, which is no problem, what there was, was great. The fighting was gritty and brutal, you could see and feel the force behind the blows. They were hitting with force instead of just tapping each others lightsabers. And there was none of this crap.

When Finn started his fight, you could feel the raw emotion. He wasn't there to defend himself, he was there to kill Ren and save Rey. Then he gets beat and Rey picks up. First there was hesitation, but then she started feeling it. The mystery as to how she bested Ren will be hopefully shown in the next movie.

Negatives
Not many, but still noteworthy.

Destroying Courescant. Done correctly with the new trilogy, Courescant could have been one of the coolest places to see. I just didn't like them destroying it in the first movie.

Inconsistant. Kylo Ren goes from being a force user of such amazing skill that he can't hold a laser shot in the air without even seeing where it was coming from. That's like, unbelievably powerful. But then he can't overpower Rey's mind and can't beat Finn in a lightsaber fight? If it comes to be that Rey is a powerful force user that was just keeping a low profile, I'll forgive that. But Finn is no exception. Finn shouldn't have been able to inflict damage to such a powerful character.

Captain Phasma, at least show her overpower Chewie for a second or do something cool. At least for a second. I understand she will play a bigger part in the next movie. But at least give us a tease to be excited for.

The pace in the movie felt...off, at times. Not to a serious degree, but still noticeable.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah I think destroying Coruscant was a bit unnecessary. Not to mention it didn't really get much attention. But it just goes to show how much they distanced themselves from the prequels. It was almost like their symbolism of fuck you prequels! We kill you with fire! Fuck your Senate meetings. But it is a cool world but honestly, i think the prequels burnt me out on that. I just want to see the first Jedi Temple. They eluded to the fact that Ren has been collecting ancient Sith artifacts and that was one of the places be visited. I wonder if maybe that's how he met Snoke...

This is going to be a long 18 months!!!

You guys think we could discuss without spoilers from here on? There are plenty of warnings in here. We could make a No Spoiler Tags past this point.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6494906]
Yeah I think destroying Coruscant was a bit unnecessary. Not to mention it didn't really get much attention. But it just goes to show how much they distanced themselves from the prequels. It was almost like their symbolism of $#@! you prequels! We kill you with fire! $#@! your Senate meetings. But it is a cool world but honestly, i think the prequels burnt me out on that. I just want to see the first Jedi Temple. They eluded to the fact that Ren has been collecting ancient Sith artifacts and that was one of the places be visited. I wonder if maybe that's how he met Snoke...

This is going to be a long 18 months!!!

You guys think we could discuss without spoilers from here on? There are plenty of warnings in here. We could make a No Spoiler Tags past this point.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But then again, the title of the thread says there will be spoilers.

What I think they should have done was save the planet destruction till the next movie for a planet that held more weight to the new trilogy. Its stated that the new republic was on Coruscant, but we never even see a scene to show it. There was barely even a reaction to it being blown up.

I actually think it would be kinda cool to keep with the pattern of the original, but feel like they were playing it easy with the first to get people acclimated to the new characters. Then they will move to a different plot going into the next movies because they'll be able to take some serious chances.

Are Finn and Rey both force sensitive with Rey being the obviously more powerful. Or is Rey the only force sensitive one?

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Yeah, but the fact that the TITLE says there's spoilers doesn't mean we should actually USE the spoiler tag...
Unless people are blind and don't actually read the title and realise there's a topic filled with spoilers.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Thats why I honestly think Rey is the only one. Did anyone ever really mention anything about Finn having the force? I don't recall but Maz did to Rey. He just picked up a lightsaber. Nothing really set off alarms that he is force capable. Just the trailers lead you to believe that which was great IMO.

Yeah it really was a waste. Especially considering like you said, a New Republic had been formed and then bam. We never heard anything about it except from the Crawl. But it did have a tactical advantage to it. Just felt premature. But it could set the table for something else.

Also, everyone notice all the Nazi overtones? They are very strong in this one.

I'm all for no tags. I hate typing them out.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
FROM THIS POINT ON NO SPOILER TAGS WILL BE USED IN REGARDS TO THE MOVIE. Do not continue if you haven't seen it. But you really shouldn't have made it this far in the first place.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I don't know about you guys, but when I sat there and was watching this movie, I had a LOT of moments where I had goosebumps all over.
I LOVED this movie, I really did.
I set myself up the past 2 years to NOT be jumping aboard any hype train or read out anything about movies or games that come out, and so I did not do that.
Yes, I saw some trailers and commercials but it's hard to miss that shit these days...
So yeah.
I went to watch it and oh my god I was pleasantly surprised. Véry pleasantly surprised!
I hoped it'd be alright and not like the first trilogy but this movie went above and beyond that and went back to its roots in my opinion, as it felt to me like this was quite alike the original Star Wars.

When I saw the intro, even though I didn't have any clue at this point if it was going to be a good movie or not, I cannot deny sitting there and thinking 'this is gonna be awesome'.
I am honest if I say I was a fan of the movies but I was very disappointed in the first 3 of the saga.
After seeing this movie I genuinely want to start collecting more items of Star Wars! I wasn't planning on doing so at first as I prefer to put my gaming collection before the movie collection but god DAMN I want myself some damn Star Wars items!

Alright, about the movie now!
Loved it.
The feeling I had was the same feeling when watching the original Star Wars for the first time which is only a positive thing.
Come on, let's admit, who didn't fucking had a smile on his face when Han and Chewie came back aboard the Millenium Falcon? Indeed they were home again and fuck that was good to see!

To do it in the way you guys did it;

POSITIVE

+
Han was THE Han we loved, Chewie with his awesome random commentary was fun to hear as always.
+ Rey, Finn and Poe. Three new people to the light side and I genuinely enjoyed meeting them all 3, they did a splendid job in the movie and really are proper additions to the series.
+ Kylo Ren. Had a good part in the movie and even though we don't know his full story (yet) and I really liked this. A very interesting character and not cheesy alike Darth Maul! Like Freak said, really good to see him struggle a bit with himself concerning dark/light side.
+ Snoke. While it may've been a hologram we saw in this movie, I still feel like this character has got quite some interesting story behind him and I hope we find out more in the next movie. It looked intriguing, let's hope it is this way as well.
+ Right amount of dialogue and action, not too much gibberish about politic shit or such or some random thing alike the first trilogy had (way too much)
+ Humor. Completely fitting in the movie, something I didn't actually expect besides maybe a quick joke here or there from Han. But it's really good to see that there was a bit of humor all around and it fitted perfectly!
+ TNO feels like a more interesting enemy compared to the empire from the past movies honestly.
+ The goosebumps moment when the Falcon came back into play with the badass move from Rey while Finn shot the last following Tie Fighter. Awwww yis!
+ The TIE fighter screams when they fly by... God it's music to my ears!
+ The same feeling as the original trilogy had which is a big bless.
+ Starkiller. At first I felt it was going to be Death Star 3.0 but it's better, bigger and it was a nice homage to the original Death Star and the Death Star scene (where they destroy it that is). Didn't think they'd be able to pull it off.
+ Han's death wasn't cheesy shit like Darth Maul's death. A proper death and though expected, it was still a moment that got me on the edge of my seat.
+ That soundtrack.

NEGATIVE

-
The frozen shot from the blaster in the beginning was pointless. He should've dodged it with his saber or such. There's NO moment in the movie besides this one where it happens, he even gets shot/hurt by a blaster so I prefer to call it an error if you will.
-
Poe's background. While he was a big part of the movie, it's a shame there wasn't more shown or told about him. Hope this happens the upcoming movies, it would've been nice if he had a bit of a story so we knew more on who he was and what he was doing.
- Phasma. While it was looking like an interesting character, it was a little bit disappointing that we barely knew anything about her and that she disappeared quite fast as well.
- The force doesn't completely seem to be special anymore. Both Rey and Finn barely did any training and botrh were able to use the Force (at least a little bit) ? While it was stunning to see this all, it was still a bit disappointing that they were not trained.
- Starkiller was destroyed a little bit easy, alike the Death Star. Seems they didn't learn too much out of their previous building errors.
- Carrie Fisher's (Leia) performance was a bit... Sloppy I guess. I didn't feel she was into it 100% honestly. Not that she was bad but it clearly wasn't spot on to me.
- Ending should've been a little bit shorter. I didn't feel bad about it or disliked it, infact I LOVED that we got to see at least a LITTLE of Luke but an awkard silence for that long is just TOO awkward. Even for Jedi.

Those are the positive and negative points I could come up with for now. Might be more there but it'll be a while before I'll see it again I'm afraid.

DISCUSSION

I noticed 2 errors in the movie, more than 2 actually but I only remembered these 2;
1. In the beginning when the Falcon comes into play, the gun of the Falcon goes through the floor sometimes. At least that's what I think I saw.
2. When Kylo's beaten down by Rey, the shot shown is that they're quite close together and seeing he just got hit it's logical too, yet the next shot we see 's the ground breaking apart with a big cliff in between them. Dafuq?

Concerning the movie/story itself;

* What happened to Maz after she gave the lightsaber and her café/castle was destroyed?
* While I think it's not possible, I still want to bring up that I do wonder somewhere if Kylo managed to escape or not.. Yes, the planet turned into a star after the energy from the sun exploded inside the planet itself. But think about it, Rey didn't KILL him and he was still consious.. So could there have been an escape involved?
* Anybody else noticed that there's footage in the teasers and trailers that has NOT been used in the movie in cinema's? Quite a bit if you actually pay attention.. I'm hoping to see a nice batch of deleted scenes and an extended edition ASAP when the bluray's out! (steelbook please!)

DID YOU KNOW?

* The stormtrooper who was in the room with Rey, where she used a Jedi Mind trick for the first time; Daniel Craig. Yep. It's Daniel Craig. Fun cameo perhaps for his fans but I hope he's got no bigger role in any of the upcoming movies though.
* Not a complete 'DYK' but for those who didn't notice; Andy Serkis did the voice of Snoke.
* The blown up planet we saw was NOT Coruscant but Hosnian Prime.

SPECULATION

* Did R2 come out of low power mode because of Rey? He's in LPM the whole time since Luke left, but then Rey came aboard and he was there popping up again with the rest of the map. So we can speculate that Rey is Luke's daughter... Let that sink in for a bit.
* Is Capt. Phasma Rey's sister...? If you remember, Rey remembered that she was left on Jakku by her family and there was a little blond girl with her... Actor who plays Phasma's blond too, random detail perhaps but could it be? I'm saying no but you never know..
* Was that a gravestone at the end near Luke..? If so, who was buried there? Food for thoughts..

I think this is it for now.
I had more on my mind but I forgot it dammit! :snicker

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Nice details in the review Wax.

As for your speculation about Rey being Luke's daughter I'm still not sold. My logic behind R2 awakening was in deed the fact that he felt Rey but i think it was because of the feeling of a major source of the Force. I feel very confident that I'm right that Rey is a trained Jedi with amnesia. Hence not remembering who dropped her off. And the count down of days she was on Jakuu. She is too well acclimated to the force. Especially the mind control set me off to this. But i do believe Luke trained her but she has no recollection of it.

You might be on to something with Phasma. Tire just simply isn't enough but it's possible for sure and something i hadn't considered.

I didn't see the gravestone but I'll be on the look out when i watch it again Friday.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Keep in mind this is completely new and there's no reference of the Expanded Universe in these new movies. They made the EU non-canon. Rey is someone else's daughter, I highly doubt it's Luke. In the EU, Han Solo had TWO kids with Leia. One guy, one girl. One turned to the dark side, the other was good.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6494934]Nice details in the review Wax.

As for your speculation about Rey being Luke's daughter I'm still not sold. My logic behind R2 awakening was in deed the fact that he felt Rey but i think it was because of the feeling of a major source of the Force. I feel very confident that I'm right that Rey is a trained Jedi with amnesia. Hence not remembering who dropped her off. And the count down of days she was on Jakuu. She is too well acclimated to the force. Especially the mind control set me off to this. But i do believe Luke trained her but she has no recollection of it.

You might be on to something with Phasma. Tire just simply isn't enough but it's possible for sure and something i hadn't considered.

I didn't see the gravestone but I'll be on the look out when i watch it again Friday.[/QUOTE]
Well, I understand your thought about the speculation!
Though.. If you take a gander at it, R2D2 is 'just' a robot and has never had anything to do with the force. The only thing is that he's a robot that works for the LIGHT side and not the dark side, but there was never any force in or around him.
I see where you go to but that's my counter attack! :snicker
I think Rey's Luke's daughter because if she was an apprentice in the past, wouldn't she know more about Luke instead of being surprised Luke Skywalker is a myth? That's what she said in the movie isn't it? So how would it be a thing that he trained her?
I think she got abandoned for her own safety as to not be killed off or captured by the dark side and that her story is a going a bit from there.
But hey, we'll see more in 2017 innit? :snicker

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I still don't understand the whole Canon non canon concept. I'll get my cousin too explain it when he comes. It's like they pick and choose certain things. I was under the impression all the post OG Trilogy material was fair game. Just not before.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6494936]Keep in mind this is completely new and there's no reference of the Expanded Universe in these new movies. They made the EU non-canon. Rey is someone else's daughter, I highly doubt it's Luke. In the EU, Han Solo had TWO kids with Leia. One guy, one girl. One turned to the dark side, the other was good.[/QUOTE]

Well, Ren seemed highly interested in Rey, so maybe there is a connection of some sort.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6494939]Well, I understand your thought about the speculation!
Though.. If you take a gander at it, R2D2 is 'just' a robot and has never had anything to do with the force. The only thing is that he's a robot that works for the LIGHT side and not the dark side, but there was never any force in or around him.
I see where you go to but that's my counter attack! :snicker
I think Rey's Luke's daughter because if she was an apprentice in the past, wouldn't she know more about Luke instead of being surprised Luke Skywalker is a myth? That's what she said in the movie isn't it? So how would it be a thing that he trained her?
I think she got abandoned for her own safety as to not be killed off or captured by the dark side and that her story is a going a bit from there.
But hey, we'll see more in 2017 innit? :snicker[/QUOTE]

I believe she was abandoned for her safety for sure. Likely to become old enough too challenge Ren. But for the whole no force thing. I only say that because of the fact that 3PO says in Empire, R2 cannot sense master Luke. So he can sense him but how. Maybe you're right. He sensed Luke's life force. I just think the whole Rey being his daughter is just too easy. Imo if you're writing a script that everyone thinks one thing and out turns out right that just isn't crafty enough. I think with their universe they have such a broad universe to pull from. Not too mention no one thought Luke was Vader's son.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6494936]Keep in mind this is completely new and there's no reference of the Expanded Universe in these new movies. They made the EU non-canon. Rey is someone else's daughter, I highly doubt it's Luke. In the EU, Han Solo had TWO kids with Leia. One guy, one girl. One turned to the dark side, the other was good.[/QUOTE]

Err three kids actually. Anakin, Jacen and Jania.
BUt any way that all scrapped.

I don't think Rey is Luke's child.
I don't think we will ever find out who Snoke is, or exactly what happened with Ben Solo. Not in the movies at least.
I'm not sure I want to either upon reflection.
Remember we all wanted to know more about the Emperor and how Anakin turned to the dakr side?
Yeah a little bit of mystery is fine by me :)

Yeah Im not sure it was Courscant it didn't exactly look like it. And it did appear to be relativly close to where Hand/Rey/Fin were in the galaxy.

I too noticed the footage missing from the movie that was in the early trailers.
That and the whole Fin is a jedi switch was why I said it was misleading Freak.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
What about the dialogue that sounded like Lupito. The whole why are you here bit when Rey was searching the Star Destroyer in the trailer. I don't ever remember hearing that.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
After one day of reeling from The Force Awakens, I'm back on Terra Firma. It's a solid 8.5/10 at this point. I'm surprised it didn't leave a longer lasting impression on me. I'll have to see it one more time.

Edit: When will we have the extended 3.5 hour Blu-ray? /wishful thinking

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
For me I'm the opposite. I'm still 48 hours out and I'm still running everything through my head and see if I can catch something from my memory. I can get where you're coming from because of the fact that we didn't get enough brain food to digest. Still so many questions.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Surprised about Kylo Ren turn of events and anxiously awaiting more villainy.

On the other side, it seems so obvious that they're doing polar opposite plot choices with the new trilogy opposed to empire.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
See. I think Ren makes an awesome villain because he is flawed. That's honestly is something that really, of course when comparing prequel it's not really fair, bothered me with Anakin. He was pro light then pro dark to killing kids 30 mins later. How fucking weak minded can you be! There should be a struggle and flaws. No person should just be as evil as cam be right out the gate. He has good in his heart and he's trying to turn it dark. I was pumped hard on Ren before so I really wanted him to be good. But he has his flaws and personally I think that's what makes him a heat villain. He succumbs to his anger and fear. Because those are the biggest feed of the dark side. I think that's why he throws his tantrums. Lol he's letting go of his anger. Which is what succumbing to the dark side takes.

He's like a polar opposite of Luke. Raw and still learning while trying to win a battle between light and dark. He chose dark. IMO his character is very well written for how the force and light and dark sides work. I think he is Snokes toy though. Taking advantage too get what he wants and will discard him like Palpatine did with Vader. Which I think you are eluding to which is a very great point.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
One thing of note, some force power was stumbled on by Ren. He refers, no hell he begs the ghost of Darth Vader to show him more power.
Its like he's learned one dark side power but know no others. And he really seems to think Vader showed him how to do it.
Snoke tricking him?

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Like i said, I think he is snokes pawn. But i like everything about him. He has a personality. Hasn't really been a star wars villain like that. Vader was awesome but he let the emperor rule his thinking. Ren is wreckless. He lets his personal journey to become dark rule him. That's where i think Snoke is taking advantage of him and he doesn't mean anything to him. Which is apparent by letting Hux have a voice. You could tell Palpatine trusted Vader. Same cannot be said for snoke.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I know it's killing me because I want to give more impressions but I can't. My mind is simply blocked from joy while watching it. I might go see it two more times. Once for sure with nephew but also with my cousin who is a star fanatic. He puts me to shame. 3 showings would give me a definitely clear view.