[SPOILERS] Star Wars : The Force Awakens Discussion

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
There were some interesting cameos. In person and in objects. Simon pegg, Daniel Craig and apparently Bill Hader helped do sounds for BB-8. Also the original training sphere Luke used in The first one can be seen in the falcon at one point.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6494965]Pod...a man of many words. Or maybe that's all he could get out due to his mind not working because it's blown![/QUOTE]
There wasn't a jar jar binks in sight so that's pretty good.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Ren being unmasked. I thought that he was going to be another Vader. Not getting unmasked, at least not for a while, and just be an evil character, a real villain. I didn't like it at first. But then that scene went on, Rey read his mind and exposed a flaw. It made Ren human and not a brain washed killing machine.

I don't have a problem with Ren freezing a blaster shot. This is not Lucas and they are going to make some changes. New director means a new direction and I'm fine with this. I for one do not want this to be a remake of the original trilogy. I want to remember these movies for what they are, not as 'Wow what a great trilogy remake!' I think this trilogy will stand on its own two feet.

I agree the part about destroying the death star (not what it's called but I don't remember the name) was rushed.

I had this feeling and one thought going through my head as the movie went on. This must be how people felt seeing A New Hope for the first time. That felt awesome.

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Starkiller 1 was the death star like thing. But honestly I loved the fact Ren got out his mask. Like you said, it showed the human and not a war machine. I fucking love how voice. I know I sound like a Ren fanboy but I'm really turning that way. Lol I will likely do the same with Rey. Just need to know more about her. Also I'm sure most of you have noticed the correlation with their names? Ren and Rey. They are very similar. I doubt it's by chance. I just want to know what Kylo Ren's name means!!! It's really close to Ben Solo just reversed and everyone kept eluding t0 has name being of note. Of course it wasn't his really make but there has to be some underlying meaning.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
They like three letter names with an E in the middle. Think, what character already exists in the SW universe who is important, and has a three letter name with an E in the middle. :snicker

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
I want to give a shout out to those excellent animatronics and puppets. The various creatures we saw around the movie was probably my favorite aspect. And they all felt so much more real than the prequel creatures.

[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6494984]Ren makes an awesome villain because he is flawed.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side, this is why I didn't think Rey was a good character. She has a cool physical design and a mysterious background, but she was too flawless and just wasn't very likable.

It seemed like overconfidence was supposed to be her flaw, but it wasn't explored that much besides shooting that gun incorrectly the first time.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
I'm was wondering something just now. Why is Starkiller planet sized? It's an interesting concept that you hollow out a planet and then absorb energy directly from a star but why is that necessary?

The Deathstar, both of them, had enough fire power to destroy a planet so I can't imagine why Starkiller is so huge and absorbs energy the way it does. Talk about overkill.

I don't remember how the Deathstar works but I'm certain it isn't power up the way Starkiller does.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6495318]I want to give a shout out to those excellent animatronics and puppets. The various creatures we saw around the movie was probably my favorite aspect. And they all felt so much more real than the prequel creatures.

On the flip side, this is why I didn't think Rey was a good character. She has a cool physical design and a mysterious background, but she was too flawless and just wasn't very likable.

It seemed like overconfidence was supposed to be her flaw, but it wasn't explored that much besides shooting that gun incorrectly the first time.[/QUOTE]

Rey was majorly flawed, she's mentally fucked up, she was waiting for her family even though she knew they weren't coming back. She clung to Han like a father figure in about 5 seconds, she's not mechanically or intellectually naive but emotionally shes a wreck.

She didn't hug Fin cause she likes him, she doesn't even see that aspect at all, she hugged him because he's the first person ever to come back for her.

Shes about emotionally traumatized as you can get.

Luke's got a lot on his hands there.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
holy shit. I've never scrolled to the bottom of a thread so fast in my life. Going to Star Wars on Christmas Day with my sons. Dammit! I so want to be a part of this thread!

all you can fuck off until I see this movie. THREAD CLOSED!*

:p * kidding

Last edited:

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6495326]Rey was majorly flawed, she's mentally fucked up, she was waiting for her family even though she knew they weren't coming back. She clung to Han like a father figure in about 5 seconds, she's not mechanically or intellectually naive but emotionally shes a wreck.

She didn't hug Fin cause she likes him, she doesn't even see that aspect at all, she hugged him because he's the first person ever to come back for her.

Shes about emotionally traumatized as you can get.

Luke's got a lot on his hands there.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to watch those scenes more closely next time. What stuck out to me was how confident and capable she was already, to the point where she kept reminding the other characters not to help her. So when it came to the action scenes, I just didn't see much reason to root for her.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6495464]I'll have to watch those scenes more closely next time. What stuck out to me was how confident and capable she was already, to the point where she kept reminding the other characters not to help her. So when it came to the action scenes, I just didn't see much reason to root for her.[/QUOTE]

She seemed confident in her abilities, but unsure of herself in relation to the people around her. She clung to people like mynd said, but was usually better in every sense then they were. She could fight better then Finn and showed herself to be an amazing pilot so much that it impressed Han.

When I watch it again, thats some of the stuff I'm gonna look more closely at.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6494940]I still don't understand the whole Canon non canon concept. I'll get my cousin too explain it when he comes. It's like they pick and choose certain things. I was under the impression all the post OG Trilogy material was fair game. Just not before.[/QUOTE]

The movies are definitely canon, mostly the originals and some of the prequels. It's just all the books, graphic novels, games and comic books that are not canon to Star Wars anymore. But apparently some really small shit is canon and they'll pick and choose, but it'll be super subtle stuff like character inspirations or what a lightsaber is made from.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6495487]The movies are definitely canon, mostly the originals and some of the prequels.[/QUOTE]

Wait, the prequels aren't entirely canon anymore?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6495464]I'll have to watch those scenes more closely next time. What stuck out to me was how confident and capable she was already, to the point where she kept reminding the other characters not to help her. So when it came to the action scenes, I just didn't see much reason to root for her.[/QUOTE]

She has major trust issues, she doesn't want anyones help because all she has ever known is that you have to do it for yourself. She is fiercely independant, but look at why. She was left to fend for herself and it was sink or swim and she became a damn fine swimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6495489]She has major trust issues, she doesn't want anyones help because all she has ever known is that you have to do it for yourself. She is fiercely independant, but look at why. She was left to fend for herself and it was sink or swim and she became a damn fine swimmer. [/QUOTE]

And yet we never saw the consequences of her distrust. She never made a mistake because of it. As you said, it made her strong and therefore she was in control and pretty much kicked ass the whole movie.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6495488]Wait, the prequels aren't entirely canon anymore?[/QUOTE]

Only the good parts and of course the main story arc I would imagine. They mention Clones in this movie, so I think the prequels are safe. It was mostly anything non-movie related was written off iirc.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6495546]You win this time, Mynd.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I can see issues with her and luke in training.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I was not impressed. Too many franchises are focused on nostalgia, rather than being their own thing. I'll expand on this later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6495553]I was not impressed. Too many franchises are focused on nostalgia, rather than being their own thing. I'll expand on this later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Banned.

:snicker.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6495553]I was not impressed. Too many franchises are focused on nostalgia, rather than being their own thing. I'll expand on this later.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well counter to that i would say is the fact that it. Tried too seperate itself with the prequel trilogy and failed so this was getting it back on solid ground. Imo.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
It was interesting how closely this movie mirrored A New Hope. They didn't even try to hide it. As of now, it's definitely the biggest flaw of the movie, but I wonder if there's a greater reason for it. Perhaps there will be some type of plot thread about the cycle of life in the universe. Or maybe this movie stuck to the formula so that the next movie can break away drastically to greater effect.

Or maybe Disney just wanted to play it safe.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Oh definatly.

Robot contains vital data-check
Tryincal super weapon that wipes out planets destroyed-check
Recently found mentor dies confronting a past relationship gone wrong-check.

Weapon handed down to new student-check.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I completely agree. It didn't really bother me much because honestly it's a byproduct of wanting it to get back to its roots. Is that the right route. Depends on what you were wanting. But that didn't really bother me a whole hell of a lot. Like you said Ixion, they were going the safe route which i also agree with.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
These just don't make great standalone movies, it's just a rehash rather than expanding on the universe. Mad max did it right.

It also gave too many questions without giving enough content or background. I just felt frustrated rather than intrigued.

Other things i hated: Kyle Reno wasn't established as a bad ass, he was rather pathetic and overly dramatic. The lightsaber duel wasn't that impressive. There was no real character development or enough background. The weapon was taken down too easily.

Things I liked : the look, the spaceship scenes ,bb8, the humour.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I've seen all the Kylo Ren complaints and I don't get it. He's not supposed to be a complete bad as s yet. Snoke still said he needs to complete his training. That means he's still raw. But I thought he was a bit of a bad ass when he was pounding blood from his chest from a Bowcaster shot. Not to mention he was badly wounded for that fight. I think he's a bit of a bad ass considering how he's not completely trained.