[SPOILERS] Star Wars : The Force Awakens Discussion

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Right, who is rey and how does she get so good with the force so quick? is she lukes kid? did han and leia have another child? Han and Ren defo recognised her
How can she almost kill Kylo?! With literally a few hours force use?!
Why is he an emo and like the way he is? Is his real name Ben Solo?
Who is snoake and im assuming that dent in his head is from luke?
Why does the ginger general hold NO fear to Rylo?
Why is luke in hiding?
When are the rest of Rylos crew?
How did lukes sabre get to be where it was?
Does finn have any force or is he the new han solo?

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Seeing this again tomorrow night, but in a D-BOX theater. I've never been to one and it feels like this movie is very appropriate for the motion chairs as it has a lot of great action scenes. I hope I won't be disappointed as I used up my scene points for the ticket.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6495692]Right, who is rey and how does she get so good with the force so quick? is she lukes kid? did han and leia have another child? Han and Ren defo recognised her
Why is luke in hiding?
Does finn have any force or is he the new han solo?[/QUOTE]

I think that's the question that is being over looked by many because of how Rey becomes the focal point. I think it might be intriguing what they do with him. JJ Abrams said his mind is blown by the script Johnson has made and wishes he was involved with it.

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6495702]I think that's the question that is being over looked by many because of how Rey becomes the focal point. I think it might be intriguing what they do with him. JJ Abrams said his mind is blown by the script Johnson has made and wishes he was involved with it.[/QUOTE]

That got me even more excited for the next movie. JJ rarely expresses regret over movie decisions. So it had to be fantastic.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Only my opinion of course... but...
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6495692]Right, who is rey and how does she get so good with the force so quick? is she lukes kid? did han and leia have another child? Han and Ren defo recognised her[/quote]
Ren did for sure. Not sure about Han. Her family was torn away form her by the empire so I would insinuate by that that her family was force sensitive.
Huh? She never almost killed him?
Chewie nearly killed him, not Ray.
Yes, cause he is clealry a fairly spoiled kid. And yes he is Ben Solo.
Because Snoake holds the leash on both of them. As for who he is, we all want to know.
Why is luke in hiding?
Shit went down, he felt bad..blamed himself...decided not to train any more.
Frankly I say fix what you fucked up Luke.
Does finn have any force or is he the new han solo?
No, Fin is breed and raised by the first order, he shows zero force sensitivity as far as I can tell.
His biggest accomplishment is that he was a bit of a coward who had to front up.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I just feel there is much more to Finn than just using him to mislead the trailers. I think he is force sensitive but it's just dormant like Luke was.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I would check Screen junkies' review. I'm too lazy to post the link - I'm just expecting you to trust me that it's worth watching.

The guys that made news calling Rey a Mary Sue.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Saw it again with my nephew tonight. He loved it. One thing I missed that Ren says to Rey when he's trying to interrogate her. He mentions Dreaming about that island. Possibly the island Luke was on? Also something else that Ren said. After killing Han, when he meets Rey in the forest he says Han Solo isn't here to protect you anymore, it's just you and me now. I could be reading too much into that but it could possibly be something.

Also, what will they do about his mask? It was in Starkiller Base when it blew up. It was marked up quite a bit so I would think its the only one of its kind. I wonder if he will go without a mask or make a new one. Personally I love the mask.

I just can't wait to find out Rey's story I've got many theories. One of my wildest is she is ancient and Luke discovered her in the original Jedi temple under some kind of stasis. I know it's out there. Lol

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I hope they can conjure up an even better mask, to coincide with his Sith training. His mask in this movie is basically a stormtroopers mask up side down.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6495954]I hope they can conjure up a even better mask, to coincide with his Sith training. His mask in this movie is basically a stormtroopers mask up side down.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of upside down. You ever seen the blaster for the Clone troopers up close? Lol

Yep that would be a blaster barrel upside down with a different stock on the back. This passed into the movie. Just goes to show the shit show that was the prequels. Basically they used all OG trilogy heavy rifle barrel and blaster stock and turned it upside down for time saving just to give an idea. That's what made it into AotC. Lol

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
So the D-BOX experience was alright. 6.5-7/10 overall because it kinda takes you out of the movie and the max level of motion is not enough. I wish it was even more motion. But the action scenes made it very memorable. Definitely worth trying out at least once, but with an action-heavy movie and Star Wars seemed perfect. I felt like I was in the Falcon at times or getting hit by Kylo's lightsaber.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6496027]I felt like I was in the Falcon at times or getting hit by Kylo's lightsaber.[/QUOTE]

Oh you dont need to pay for that Leb, we'll happily line up to beat you up for free.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6496036]Oh you dont need to pay for that Leb, we'll happily line up to beat you up for free.[/QUOTE]

oi m8 u got a problem with me?! let's take it to new zealand ya fakkin kiwi sonofabitch

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6496168]oi m8 u got a problem with me?! let's take it to new zealand ya fakkin kiwi sonofa$#@![/QUOTE]

And the academy award for worst aussie accent goes to...

:snicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6496171]And the academy award for worst aussie accent goes to...

:snicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That's the idea.

[QUOTE="Kwes, post: 6496186]So what do you guys think the focus of the VIII will be?[/QUOTE]

No doubt it'll be the First Order trying to come up with better ways to build a weapon that doesn't have an obvious weak spot. Rey getting trained by Luke in the ways of the Force, hopefully Luke explaining why he just stayed at the Jedi Temple while his friends were getting slaughtered. More on Snoke I hope and more of Captain Phasma actually doing something in the movie other than just being there. Kylo Ren being trained by Snoke to be full evil sith.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Kwes, post: 6496186]So what do you guys think the focus of the VIII will be?[/QUOTE]

Not a lot of answering the burning questions. Just a couple. Lol

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6496220]
No doubt it'll be the First Order trying to come up with better ways to build a weapon that doesn't have an obvious weak spot. Rey getting trained by Luke in the ways of the Force, hopefully Luke explaining why he just stayed at the Jedi Temple while his friends were getting slaughtered. More on Snoke I hope and more of Captain Phasma actually doing something in the movie other than just being there. Kylo Ren being trained by Snoke to be full evil sith.[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty good to me.

I'm going to assume that there will be a few splits. Poe and Finn will be doing stuff in relation to the first order. Rey will be training with Luke while Ren trains with Snoke. While both learn as audience surrogates about the light and dark side philosophies respectively. Then I'd say that it follows a trend of the second movie ending with a somewhat despairing end. I'd bet its Luke being killed before he could complete Rey's training.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Kwes, post: 6496231]That sounds pretty good to me.

I'm going to assume that there will be a few splits. Poe and Finn will be doing stuff in relation to the first order. Rey will be training with Luke while Ren trains with Snoke. While both learn as audience surrogates about the light and dark side philosophies respectively. Then I'd say that it follows a trend of the second movie ending with a somewhat despairing end. I'd bet its Luke being killed before he could complete Rey's training.[/QUOTE]

See I could see the Luke death happening but I don't see it. Then it's just insulting how much its like the OG trilogy. There are already too man similarities but the old Jedi dying while teaching the new breed. Too close for my taste. I hope to see some more discerning next time around. I globally think that's why they just went the safe route too get a solid foundation then branch out a bit. That's why I have my theory of Rey being an ancient of some sort. Could help them branch that stupid canon non canon shit they did. Could allow them to explore early periods in the future. But I don't know of they're willing to go back. I think they simply want to move forward which would kill that theory.

I simply say that because of the fact of Ren mentioning dreaming of that island. Yet the only island that is shown is an ancient island that once housed the first Jedi academy. Maybe could have been frozen in carbonite in the temple? I know it's far fetched but they are being very coy with her. They are embracing the mystery. I think making her some previous jedi's blood relation is just too easy. Because everyone keeps guessing that because the OG trilogy taught us that. I expect the reveal moment to be holy shit not oh man I knew it!

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Finally got a chance to see the movie. While I really enjoyed the movie, especially the new characters, I was a bit disappointed that the story was really just a rehash of the original Star Wars. While watching it, I kept wondering if that planet was some kind of Death Star and then once it was made known it was, I just kinda groaned as I knew exactly what would happen. It's just so typical in any kind of action movie for the bad guy place to blow up in the end, but of course all the main baddies miraculously make it out on time when it was already beginning to implode.

Other than that small gripe, I really like Finn and Darth Tantrums. They both ended up much different than I would've expected and left a lot of room for growth in the next movie. I like the directions both characters are moving in, as long as Finn isn't in a coma or whatever for most of the next movie. I really like how flawed Darth Angst was set up. Not every villain has to be vastly superior and cocky, which is typical for a villain and then they have to be beat in some silly way. He got beat, and beat soundly. I believe it sets up for the sequel to be a really good movie where I hope there is some kind of Rey and Ren confrontation.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Glad to see more people getting behind Ren. I think everyone must had this base model for bad ass villains and if they don't fit it they aren't happy. Not to say either is right or wrong but I like the fact that he's not the knight of badassdom. When you do that from the start you really limit the character from the start. It seems like the antagonist is awesome maxed at the start and the protagonist has to reach that level. Really kind of changes the whole landscape and plot possibilities.

Many have run him through the ringer but I think many expected him to be Darth Vader 2.0 which oddly enough is what most are calling the movie out for. Basically the movie is New Hope 2.0 and I agree it feels that way. But it seems people wanted another Vader clone. But I like the way he channels his inner darkness by beating the shit out of a console with his saber. Have to basically let your anger out for the dark side. I'd say he's doing that well. Lol

But there is now am Emo Kylo Ren Account on twitter. So I guess that's a lot of people's view on him. But honestly Darth was a big winny pussy when he was that age too. Lol

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
He's nowhere near as emo and whiny as Hayden Christensen. Don't even compare Adam Driver to that noob. He's got anger issues, sure, but he's not awkward or whiny. I went hoping he wouldn't be like Darth Maul and get killed off in the first movie with barely any screentime. And it didn't happen and I'm so happy about that. Kylo Ren, if written and directed properly, could become as popular, or even better than Darth Vader.

I still wanna see the force pushed to its peak like in The Force Unleashed game. Starkiller in that game take down a fucking star destroyer ship!!!! I wanna see that level of awesome in this new trilogy. Don't show it all the time, but just have one scene where they really push themselves to the limit to win a battle or stop an attack as a last man standing act.

This is what makes me excited about this new trilogy, the potential to see the Force at its highest peak ever. We've already seen new force powers, so I've got a good feeling about this.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
That's what I liked about Ren, he was trying to be the next Darth Vader and wore a helmet to look as menacing as possible. People kept saying not to hide behind the mask, and of course he gets slashed right in the face at the end. When he is trying to invade Rey's mind, that scene is what made him for me.

He is kinda just a punk imitating Darth Vader. He obviously has skill in the force with his abilities, but lacks that nature of Vader. When they had first revealed the saber in the trailer I had thought it was just some gimmick, like Maul or Dooku with their sabers. But it actually fits his character. The saber is janky and improperly put together, but it really fits him. I think Adam Driver was a great choice to pull this character off. I hope they do not pull any Hayden Christensen ghost BS in the next movie talking to him or anything like that.

As freak said, it's nice to see the protagonist and antagonist on the same level basically. Rather than seeing the baddie beat up everyone, grow complacent, and then the good guys rise above in the end to win. I also think that Supreme Leader Snoke is going to be some Wizard of Oz type situation, where he's a giant pansy in reality. Maybe everything he does is all smoke and mirrors.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Luke being killed off? Why would they kill off the most powerful and popular Jedi now? Luke should be a like a god. Near indestructible.

Nah. Not liking Adam driver. Fucking ugly ass big nose poor mans Adam sandler emo!

Where is yoda FYI?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6496288]Luke being killed off? Why would they kill off the most powerful and popular Jedi now? Luke should be a like a god. Near indestructible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Luke is far from indestructible. We have not seen him in action and have no idea the power that snoke possesses. Something seriously bad is going to happen in the second. Like, a major blow to the main characters of the movie. The third will begin with the despair and ride that to the victory at the end yay. Finn will be han solo, Rey will be Luke and Poe will be around, doing cool shit.