[SPOILERS] Star Wars : The Force Awakens Discussion

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Kylo and Ren are ten years apart. What Kylo did is ancient history in terms of the story, if you go by Adam Drivers age (32), and how long it appears Luke has been missing, and how long Han and Leia have been apart, Kylo did this stuff as a teenager.

It could be its is Rey's presence that triggers R2's reboot for sure. She would have been with Luke when he did the force thing in R2.

As for not remebering, Luke either suppressed those memories with the force, or they were too traumatic for her and she suppressed them herself.

I have no doubt she was there and witnessed the slaughter, Luke doing what he did to R2, and him dropping her of in someones care on Jakuu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Therein lies another problem with similarities to previous movies. If you do that it's practically the exact same thing Obi Wan did with Luke and Leia. That's why I don't know of it will play out like that. Because if the movie did get any negative feedback it was the similarities to New Hope. They are setting themselves up for more criticism for basically using the same scenario as before. I think with Rian Johnson writing it will be more elaborate than that.

Because my train of thought is if someone can easily figure out what happens next it's not well written and too predictable. I think it's just one of those worm holes they want to let you down to broadside you with something you didn't expect. Like Finn being portrayed as the Jedi but it turns out to be Rey. I could be wrong, but I just think the obvious answer isn't going to be the right one.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Wll it makes little sense otherwise.
Its always the map that doesn't make any sense to me in this movie and this is the only way it works.

1/ Luke created the map, no one else could have.

2/ Luke IS waiting for someone.

3/ We see Luke program R2 with the force.

4/ Only Luke could have kept the one peice of the map away from R2 and give it to someone else.

5/ Pure co-incidence that someone is seen holding Rey's hand and telling her to behave?

6/ Why else was Ren so interested in this "girl" he force grabs that officer and explicitly says "tell me about this girl".

I need to see it again, but I dont ever recall Ren being surprised that Rey had the fore.

Remember she was originally called Kira?

Last edited:

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6499169]Wll it makes little sense otherwise.
Its always the map that doesn't make any sense to me in this movie and this is the only way it works.

1/ Luke created the map, no one else could have.

2/ Luke IS waiting for someone.

3/ We see Luke program R2 with the force.

4/ Only Luke could have kept the one peice of the map away from R2 and give it to someone else.

5/ Pure co-incidence that someone is seen holding Rey's hand and telling her to behave?

6/ Why else was Ren so interested in this "girl" he force grabs that officer and explicitly says "tell me about this girl".

I need to see it again, but I dont ever recall Ren being surprised that Rey had the fore.

Remember she was originally called Kira?[/QUOTE]

You could see the shock when he is trying to interrogate her and she fights back.

Or perhaps it was at that point he came to the realization who she was.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Don't get me wrong mynd, I'm not trying tip shoot down your theory. Because from the most basic outlook i agree. I just think that's the easy route/most obvious route and i think they'll try to mix it up. But i initially had the exact same thought. I just think they will go a bit more elaborate with the story too try and throw everyone off the scent. I'm not saying you are downright wrong in the slightest. I'm just trying to grasp at straws.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
I really liked the films. I'm not biggest star wars fan either, but i liked it.

Don't get how Finn was able to hold his own with a lightsaber duel with Ren. Yes, Ren was heavily injured, but he still has the use of force powers etc. Maybe arrogance on his part? I mean, even saying that these new Stormtroopers are better trained/less incompetent than previous years, still weird that Finn lasted that long.

Also, is the above the reason why people think Finn is force-sensitive? To justify why he was able to do the above?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I paid specific attention to Finns light-saber skills on the 2nd viewing, and really, he doesn't actually do a lot more than swing then block the shit out of Rens attacks.
He certainly wasn't fighting.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
Admartian I think you're right about Ren. It's his arrogance and attitude of 'I don't need the force I can whoop this chump saber to saber.'

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Oh yeah his pride was hurting, not to mention the hole in his gut, by that stage he was probably not really thinking much at all, he did just kill his dad after all.

His force powers seem to be pretty limited he know how to force freeze. but he was really trying hard to get the lightsaber to come to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kwes

Unbound Mercenary
Mar 30, 2009
Finn had lots of weapon training and was described as one of the best in his unit, a natural talent. So its not completely out of the question for him to pick up the basics pretty quick.

Now, a lot of what we are seeing is that Ren was pretty messed up. I hope we don't have that next time. I want to see a straight up fight between two master jedi.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Seen the film and surprisingly enjoy this new entry despite all the hype. Loved Rey a lot as a character even though first time she uses the lightsaber she mindlessly beats the crap out of Kylo Ren.