SPOILERS...they don't bother me.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
I can't think of another human being I know that isn't bothered by spoilers. I'm either the last of a dying breed or an anomaly within humankind. Alright, so getting to the point...

Spoilers don't, nor have they ever, p*ssed me off, bothered me, or omg totally ruined the movie/story/experience for me!

Regardless of how I feel, I completely respect the views of others(we're all different) and I won't spoil a movie or story for someone. I still can't wrap my head around the idea that gaining knowledge of a twist or ending ruins the experience to the point of it being worthless. Really, how many of you can honestly say that every time a movie or story has ever been spoiled for you, you just didn't bother to watch it, lost all curiosity and interest, and it suddenly didn't matter anymore?

I really do have trouble relating to that, and I'll explain why. A good story fascinates me, period. I'm not fascinated by a good ending, or a good twist, as my imagination is captured by the entire journey itself. Whatever happened to that mentality anyway? It's about the journey, not the end, right? Anyway, whenever people tell me about a movie that interests me, often times I ask "what happens at the end?" or if the elect to tell me, I won't stop them. An entire synopsis doesn't intimidate or discourage me, it actually fuels my desire to watch the movie. Like I said, a good flick or game captures my imagination, so my time is well spent as I marvel at the cinematography and of course become engrossed in the story, even though I may know the outcome.

For those of you that also dislike spoilers then tell me...why on earth do you watch movies based on books, games, and stories and remakes that you already know? Is a good story only a good story once? Every movie I own(that I like) I've watched more than once. Any good game with an engrossing and deep story(FF7, Xenosaga, Tales of the Abyss, God of War) I've played more than once, if for nothing else then the story alone.

About capturing my imagination, a good story will never fail to do that. Whether I've seen it once or a hundred times, I'll always love it. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie, and it reels me in every time. I know the movie inside out, but it's always entertaining, always suspenseful, always a thrill ride, always hilarious, and always a visual splendor among other things. Some movies are even better as I watch them several times. Personally, I'd put movies like the Matrix, L.A. Confidential, The Usual Suspects, Friday, and Dawn of the Dead(2004) in that category, as they've seemed progressively better with each successive viewing for me.

I know I may seemed to have digress from my point, but this is all in support of my view on spoilers. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION saying a spoiler ruins a movie or story to the point where it either can't be watched, or can't be watched without some lingering chip on your shoulder is nonsensical, because that's like saying you can't ever watch something more than once.

I know some may say, 'well it ruins the surprise of a good ending', and to that I say, well there's about 98% more to a story than an ending, and even if you know that story, it's well worth experiencing again if it was good in the first place.

Anyway, although it may not seem that way, I'm not tryign to convince anyone to change their point of view, I just thought that I'd share mine. Hate spoilers? Good for you, keep on hating them, because I come in peace.:-D

So Arklon's question of the day is... Do spoilers bother you? Why or why not?

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
Think about Titanic, everyone know the ending, yet it is one of the most watched movies of all time. All time.

I agree to a point. I don't think spoilers ruin anything, but at the same time IMO it is better to not know.

I still watch Usual Suspects and Sixth Sense whenever I see them because the movies are so good, but the first time was still the best.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="grcswoosh, post: 0]Think about Titanic, everyone know the ending, yet it is one of the most watched movies of all time. All time.

I agree to a point. I don't think spoilers ruin anything, but at the same time IMO it is better to not know.

I still watch Usual Suspects and Sixth Sense whenever I see them because the movies are so good, but the first time was still the best.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. For me personally though, a lot of movies are better with subsequent viewings, even those with twist endings.

daevv

The Mega Man
May 28, 2007
Newfoundland!
I tend to avoid reading anything about a game/movie/book if it has *Contains Spoilers* in the heading. I don't get to bent out of shape if I do read or hear a spoiler though.

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Fair enough. For me personally though, a lot of movies are better with subsequent viewings, even those with twist endings.[/quote]

No doubt, Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction are awesome examples of that because you pick up new intricacies every time you watch them again (until you've seen them 50 times).

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
If it's a newer movie or game I'll try to keep myself from finding out about the story, if only because I find watching it more enjoyable that way. However, if it's something older I won't mind hearing about it. Weird, eh?

[QUOTE="grcswoosh, post: 0]No doubt, Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction are awesome examples of that because you pick up new intricacies every time you watch them again (until you've seen them 50 times).[/quote]

I've watched Pulp Fiction a few times, to say the least. It ain't my favorite movie for nothin'. :DD

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I voted sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Spoilers don't bother me but what does annoy me is when movies have a narrator at the start and end of a movie... not really for the spoiler side of it but I think it just limits the film and takes away part of the experience.

EG. Young Guns 2... awesome movie but i don't want to see Billy the Kid at the beginning of the film as an old man, i mean cmon! Also it killed all hope for a trilogy.

roosters93

Moderhater
Apr 27, 2006
pushingpixels.net
I don't really mind spoilers.
Like when I read threads here and at NeoGAF about TV shows, I normally end up reading a synopsis of an episode that hasn't yet screened in Australia yet but I don't really care.

Also, when the latest Harry Potter book came out, I read the first few chapters on the net but it didn't ruin the experience at all.

But for most movies I watch, they tend to get a little bit more boring each time.
(Unless it's been a while and I've forgotten what happens in it. :snicker)
Although the really great movies I can watch over and over again.

A

An_Ocean_Between_Us

In a movie like the Simpsons or South Park, it doesnt bother me, because there is no point to what happens. But in a movie that has some huge twist and ****, that might bother me.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
What does everyone think about a spoiler in the form of dramatic irony? That one actually kind of bugs me if it's not done well(like any aspect of a movie, really). Sometimes it serves as a garbage way to cop out of providing clever story telling and audience deception, so I guess that's not necessarily having a grudge with the spoiler aspect of it, but rather the artistic direction. Thoughts anyone?

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Scott64, post: 0]With gaming, it only bothers me if it will affect the way I play the game.[/QUOTE]
Can you give an example? From what I gather, the only thing that can affect the way you play is yourself.

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Can you give an example? From what I gather, the only thing that can affect the way you play is yourself.[/quote]

Probably an RPG with multiple endings. I guess he means if someone told him "you do x and y happens, but if you do a then b happens" it might affect how he approaches key decisions in the game trying to get the "best" ending rather than just going with the flow and finding out for himself.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Probably an RPG with multiple endings. I guess he means if someone told him "you do x and y happens, but if you do a then b happens" it might affect how he approaches key decisions in the game trying to get the "best" ending rather than just going with the flow and finding out for himself.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha, makes sense, didn't think about that.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It really is contextual to the plot of said movie/game and how it's played out in the story.

If for example, I was told that Aeris is going to die the first time I played through Final Fantasy VII, I would have been depressed up until the point she died... wait... I was given the guide for my birthday and read ahead and was depressed from the point I left Midgar onward... ****, bad example.

OKAY!

Any game/movie with a huge plot twist... take Saw for example. If I was told that the dead guy with the gun was actually John that would have just ruined the whole movie for me. I mean I'd still watch it but it'd be like "eh...".

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Frag0Lution, post: 0]I hate spoilers, but sometimes I just HAVE to know what is going to happen. :|[/QUOTE]
LoL I've always thought that was funny. Thing is, I've known people like that, and I can't help but laugh when they get agitated about being told a spoiler that they wouldn't stop nagging someone for. :lol: