Square Enix' Luminous Productions working on a new AAA Title for PS5 (That's right, PlayStation 5)

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
With Squares track record i wouldn't be surprised if this was actually intended for the PS4, but they know they're going to breeze past this generation again *cough* FFXIV *cough* :geek:

Could be looking at a launch title tho? AAA titles are creeping up to 4 years dev time... so who knows.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It sounds like Luminous Productions recently started full production of the new AAA title for PS5, from what I understand of them cancelling several DLC episodes for FFXV to better focus their resources.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/final-f...pisode-lunafreya-and-episode-noctis-cancelled

Final Fantasy XV was in full production for three years after Hajime Tabata (no longer at Square Enix) took over. That said, I think it's reasonable to expect we won't see this new AAA title released until 2021/2022.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, we know isn't really being prioritized by Tetsuya Nomura until Kingdom Hearts III releases in January (or when the game goes gold a month earlier). Maybe it will release in 2020.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
It sounds like Luminous Productions recently started full production of the new AAA title for PS5, from what I understand of them cancelling several DLC episodes for FFXV to better focus their resources.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/final-f...pisode-lunafreya-and-episode-noctis-cancelled

Final Fantasy XV was in full production for three years after Hajime Tabata (no longer at Square Enix) took over. That said, I think it's reasonable to expect we won't see this new AAA title released until 2021/2022.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, we know isn't really being prioritized by Tetsuya Nomura until Kingdom Hearts III releases in January (or when the game goes gold a month earlier). Maybe it will release in 2020.
FFVII:R at this rate is probably going to end up being a next gen release. Only time will tell. It will be interesting what this new IP is though.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I think they might of just put PS5 because they know for sure the next game is a next generation release which they probably thought it was going to release this generation.

FF7 Remake likely next generation. I hope this does end up being a new JPRG IP and I do hope they can come up with something new and interesting.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I was going to say medieval fantasy but I think Dragon Quest XI will scratch that itch for now.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I quite enjoyed Dragon Quest XI from what i've played of it. I got stuck on a boss then Sen IV arrived so been playing that. Square need to focus a lot more on world building when it comes to JRPGs.