State of Decay 2 Reviews ... The State of Current Xbox Exclusives

May 20, 2008
I don't even know why MS bothers about developing these games. I want to think this is due to a past strategy and best things will start to see the light in the future. The One X is a Masterpiece of hardware... MS needs GOW level 1st Parties.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/state-of-decay-2/critic-reviews
If you’re saying they need more story driven games, I agree. State of Decay was not a bad game though. This one seems to be pretty much the same with a few additions here and there. Theses types of games (multiplayer/co-op) will always be a part of Microsoft because Xbox live is such a huge success for them. Frankly, I think both ms and Sony could learn a lot from each other when it comes to stuff like this. MS exclusive single player games could be better and Sony could improve more on the multiplayer exclusive side. Bringing back games like SOCOM would help. I loved that series. It never got outstanding reviews but I thought the multiplayer was fun.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
You guys need to stop calling others liars for having different opinions. I agree, Sony could improve in terms of multiplayer, but MS is also sucking at it lately...

I really, really hope this E3 brings back the hype for the X.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007

Classic jank. It's SOD charm. Lol I'm seeing all sorts of silly excuses being made by fans.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008

Classic jank. It's SOD charm. Lol I'm seeing all sorts of silly excuses being made by fans.
I don’t see anyone here making excuses. Its not a “masterpiece”nor was it expected to get great reviews from every reviewer. It’s just like any other game. Some are always going to like or dislike it more than others. I have game pass so I’ll be playing it for sure. I expect the game will do ok despite some bad reviews.

Oh, and don’t think I didn’t notice you edited out your response to my post above,proving you do read my posts...lol

Jun 4, 2007
Repetitive task, A.I is dumb. Vehicle physics are terrible. Mission/task breaking bugs. Runs poorly on the xbone X :eek::ROFLMAO:. Building layouts are repetitive.

Another case of biting off more than you can chew; developing more than you can properly handle due to budget. It just weird when it comes to MS and budgets. I might make a thread talking about the subject.

It'll be interesting to see if SOD2 brings in more fans than the first title. I guess there's SOD3 if it doesn't. Then again, MS may not fund another sequel. You never know.

Anyway, I’m sure the rumored day one patch will improve the game.
Are you still sure?

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Repetitive task, A.I is dumb. Vehicle physics are terrible. Mission/task breaking bugs. Runs poorly on the xbone X :eek::ROFLMAO:. Building layouts are repetitive.

Another case of biting off more than you can chew; developing more than you can properly handle due to budget. It just weird when it comes to MS and budgets. I might make a thread talking about the subject.

It'll be interesting to see if SOD2 brings in more fans than the first title. I guess there's SOD3 if it doesn't. Then again, MS may not fund another sequel. You never know.
. that will be interesting since you or no one else here knows any details about this games budget. It will be all speculation but go right ahead. There are already about 7 or 8 threads about State of Decay. I think we can get a few more of those too while you’re at it...that is if you’re reading this post, right..lol

Jun 4, 2007
The first State of Decay game was in Steam Early Access for a very long time. How come the gestation period between the second game and the first game has been so short?

The first game used CryEngine, which was fine for an XBox Live Arcade title, but was not going to scale up to the full AAA title that State of Decay 2 is going to be. We needed a more robust and a more mature engine, so we pivoted to Unreal Engine 4, and that involved us having to start very close to ground zero in terms of the technical infrastructure for the game.
Straight from the horse's mouth. AAA funded title that needed a new engine.
So is State of Decay a first-party Microsoft title now?

Yeah, it is. We are an independent studio. But in terms of the development process, it is a first-party title.
Interesting. So MS stood and watched? Keep reading.

Was any of the first game ported across to Unreal Engine 4, in terms of assets and stuff, from CryEngine?

The simulation technology was something that we built in-house, that sits on top of CryEngine. And a lot of that has come over. Some of it had to be rewritten or refactored. But the fundamental principles and fundamental algorithms that drove the first game all were able to come over.
And this is why it runs like shit too.

Now that the game is a first-party title and Microsoft’s reputation rests upon it to an extent, how much pressure are you under to deliver – not only on the original State of Decay promise and to appease the original fans, but to also to live up to Microsoft’s quality control standards?

It’s a good, mutual partnership because they have full confidence in us to make a great State of Decay game. We did it the first time. We know the fans. We know what they’re looking for. We have the vision. We’re the vision holders for the game. Building that experience is something we know how to do and they trust us to do it.

On the other hand, Microsoft as the owners of the XBox platform, have very high standards for visual fidelity, for polish, and for overall quality. And they push us hard on that, and they should push us hard on that. And that’s something that has wound up being a good, mutual partnership. They bring the resources and the mandate that we take that to the next level in terms of the visual fidelity and the polish of the game. And we’re bringing the expertise and knowledge on how to make a compelling experience that players engage with and stay engaged with over time. It’s not a one-off title that’s used to characterize what console games were like years ago where you enjoyed your 30 hours and then you were done with it. So it’s really bringing together our mutual strengths to make an experience that fans are going to love.
I saved the best for last. Microsoft sure did a great job with quality control.

Source

Phil needs to fire someone. All these fuck ups can't be all on him.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008

And this is why it runs like shit too. I'm starting to think it wasn't a budget problem but a lazy or lack of talent problem.

I saved the best for last

Source

Lol... so what’s your point ? All I see is some questions being answered.

Jun 4, 2007
Lol... so what’s your point ? All I see is some questions being answered.
Comprehend those answers. Let me help you.

State of Decay 2 is AAA. MS quality control team failed at their jobs based on how the end product turned out. These are facts.

There you go(y)

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Comprehend those answers. Let me help you.

State of Decay 2 is AAA. MS quality control team failed at their jobs based on how the end product turned out. These are facts.

There you go(y)

Lol.. this isn’t the first time a game has launched with bugs. This doesn’t just happen with MS games, you know. I could see if it was totally unplayable but that’s not the case. You could put some in of the blame on MS but like I said this happens with Sony as well. Sony has launched a buggy game, as well. Did Sony fail at their job when pSN was hacked or having PSnow now living up to what they promised? I think those qualify as failing at your job as well.

I don’t think anyone said the game was going to launch without bugs or get 9s and 10s. Nope, that’s just you trying to make it seem like we did.

H

Hedon

Loving the game so far, and looks awesome in 4K HDR. It's so damn addicting, and I haven't had any bugs or issues other than the occasional clipping that I see in every game. I can't wait to get done with work to continue my zombie slaughter. Co-op is a great addition too.

May 20, 2008
Loving the game so far, and looks awesome in 4K HDR. It's so damn addicting, and I haven't had any bugs or issues other than the occasional clipping that I see in every game. I can't wait to get done with work to continue my zombie slaughter. Co-op is a great addition too.
Shhhhh! You’re not supposed to enjoy the game because of budget issues and lack of talent.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. I plan on killing some zombies soon.?

Jun 4, 2007
I haven't had any bugs or issues other than the occasional clipping that I see in every game.
There's nothing wrong with you loving the game. That's not what's in question.

You must have a copy of sod2 that even the developers don't have. The damage controlling is at an all time high when you make claims such as no bugs or issues lol. This game is full of them. All the reviews and videos showing them must be false, right? And bugs become more of an issue in coop.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008

You must have a copy of sod2 that even the developers don't have. The damage controlling is at an all time high when you make claims such as no bugs or issues lol. This game is full of them. All the reviews and videos showing them must be false, right? And bugs become more of an issue in coop.
or perhaps it’s just disagreement. It sounds like Hedon just started playing the beginning stages of the game. Don’t fret though, Two. Hedon may come back and say this game is crap after putting in more time with it. Or maybe it could be that some people will like this game because it’s fun. Maybe you should go and play the game and come back and give us your opinion instead of the usual hating.

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
We Xbox fans (yeah I'm still an Xbox fan) want A1 games on the level of God of War. I've struggled finished the campaign of Gears of War 4 and I did it just because I like the series, but it was boring and predictable as hell. Halo was better but not nearly at this level (also, I'm honestly tired of shooters)...

I hope MS just stop producing titles like these or Sea of Thieves. It's a waste of resources and money. I'm a living proof that a game can sell consoles. All my Xbox mates (5 of them) have bought PS4s just because of God of War. I was the first one and encouraged them all to buy it as well. They of course are now playing other PS exclusives. They will probably always prefer their Xbox but now they're also PS users and they will be able to play anything worth playing from Sony's Studios. That's a hell of a strategy to me.

Jun 4, 2007
We Xbox fans (yeah I'm still an Xbox fan) want A1 games on the level of God of War. I've struggled finished the campaign of Gears of War 4 and I did it just because I like the series, but it was boring and predictable as hell. Halo was better but not nearly at this level (also, I'm honestly tired of shooters)...

I hope MS just stop producing titles like these or Sea of Thieves. It's a waste of resources and money. I'm a living proof that a game can sell consoles. All my Xbox mates (5 of them) have bought PS4s just because of God of War. I was the first one and encouraged them all to buy it as well. They of course are now playing other PS exclusives. They will probably always prefer their Xbox but now they're also PS users and they will be able to play anything worth playing from Sony's Studios. That's a hell of a strategy to me.
What do you feel is the problem with MS game division? Do you feel that Phil has been in position long enough to fix these issues? He was Don's 2nd hand and knew exactly what was going on. How do you feel about Phil blaming hardware/services/backwards compatibility, as if game developers were the ones working on those areas, for the reason why they don't have industry shaking exclusives anymore?

We know that hardware, services, blu ray, backwards compatibility and pricing aren't issues. Earlier you said that you feel they're using an old strategy. I feel that they have no strategy at all based on a few things. I'll speak more on that if you want me to. I just want to hear your take on all of this.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
What do you feel is the problem with MS game division? Do you feel that Phil has been in position long enough to fix these issues? He was Don's 2nd hand and knew exactly what was going on. How do you feel about Phil blaming hardware/services/backwards compatibility, as if game developers were the ones working on those areas, for the reason why they don't have industry shaking exclusives anymore?

We know that hardware, services, blu ray, backwards compatibility and pricing aren't issues. Earlier you said that you feel they're using an old strategy. I feel that they have no strategy at all based on a few things. I'll speak more on that if you want me to. I just want to hear your take on all of this.
I'm not that connected to the Industry anymore but if you ask me, Xbox lost the north years ago with the creation of that monster called Xbox One. They thought hardcore gaming was a thing of the past and focused on stupid things like Kinect. Sony was smarter and sticked with the hardcores and took advantage of Microsoft's derailing. Lets keep in mind that this affected both Nintendo and Microsoft, offering things that the market just didn't want (Wii U, Kinect) and based on something that they thought was a trend and ended up being just a fad. Another thing I'm happy they're not focusing on anymore is making the console an Entertainment center. That never happened and probably will never happen. With Smart TVs offering more and more streaming capabilities and smartphones/tablets taking over, this looks like a thing of the past for Microsoft.

Thing meant about 5-8 years of Microsoft losing focus and Sony perfecting and growing on games and it looks like they just woke up about 2 years ago. I don't think Phil has "blammed" hardware and other things they've done well with the One X, but I'd say he's saying that they needed to have all that in place in order to release triple A titles for the core gamers. Keep in mind that the first time God of War was announced was in E3 2016... that's 2 years ago... and the game has just been released. That talks about a game that has been 4-5 years in development (and doesn't have multiplayer) Same goes for The Last of US 2 first announced in December 2016... launched in 2019.

Said this, I don't expect to see any Triple A games of this level until at least 2019 or 2020. I think the Hardware has been a great milestone (it's far beyond the PS4 Pro, and it's also much smaller and prettier if you ask me) We're still well on timing for games of the level of quality we're all anticipating, we just need to be patient. MS has lost A LOT of time and it will be very hard to catch up. It's not about money but also talent and experience. Things you just can't buy.

So all in all, I'm very sure MS has a solid strategy for the long term, it just will take time and will possibly need more than 1 iteration to master developement.

PS: I hope they straight CANCEL Crackdown 3. I haven't seen a less appealing game in any platform in years. That game will do more damage than good to the brand.

Last edited:
H

Hedon

Huh? I never questioned anyone as to whether it was ok for me to love the game. That is kind of an odd reply.

I have the same copy as developers. Note that I said I haven't had any bugs or issues other than clipping. I haven't finished the game yet, I am in the early stages. False? What do you mean by false? Not sure why you are posting such a reply?

Shhhhh! You’re not supposed to enjoy the game because of budget issues and lack of talent.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. I plan on killing some zombies soon.?
Yeah, the game is a ton of enjoyment. I had just finished my personal GOTY (so far), God of War and moved to Ghost Recon Wildlands until this game came out. And now I have been working on this game throughout the weekend. It's so fun and funny too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not that connected to the Industry anymore but if you ask me, Xbox lost the north years ago with the creation of that monster called Xbox One. They thought hardcore gaming was a thing of the past and focused on stupid things like Kinect. Sony was smarter and sticked with the hardcores and took advantage of Microsoft's derailing. Lets keep in mind that this affected both Nintendo and Microsoft, offering things that the market just didn't want (Wii U, Kinect) and based on something that they thought was a trend and ended up being just a fad. Another thing I'm happy they're not focusing on anymore is making the console an Entertainment center. That never happened and probably will never happen. With Smart TVs offering more and more streaming capabilities and smartphones/tablets taking over, this looks like a thing of the past for Microsoft.

Thing meant about 5-8 years of Microsoft losing focus and Sony perfecting and growing on games and it looks like they just woke up about 2 years ago. I don't think Phil has "blammed" hardware and other things they've done well with the One X, but I'd say he's saying that they needed to have all that in place in order to release triple A titles for the core gamers. Keep in mind that the first time God of War was announced was in E3 2016... that's 2 years ago... and the game has just been released. That talks about a game that has been 4-5 years in development (and doesn't have multiplayer) Same goes for The Last of US 2 first announced in December 2016... launched in 2019.

Said this, I don't expect to see any Triple A games of this level until at least 2019 or 2020. I think the Hardware has been a great milestone (it's far beyond the PS4 Pro, and it's also much smaller and prettier if you ask me) We're still well on timing for games of the level of quality we're all anticipating, we just need to be patient. MS has lost A LOT of time and it will be very hard to catch up. It's not about money but also talent and experience. Things you just can't buy.

So all in all, I'm very sure MS has a solid strategy for the long term, it just will take time and will possibly need more than 1 iteration to master developement.

PS: I hope they straight CANCEL Crackdown 3. I haven't seen a less appealing game in any platform in years. That game will do more damage than good to the brand.
I guess you could say Xbox is in a state of decay.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
SOD is certainly not Triple A, its budget isn't triple, the team size isn't triple A, th emoney they ask fo rthe game isnt Triple A.

Source

If its was triple AAA funded it wouldn't be $30 fucking dollars.

Not an excuse for the game bugs at all. But there is no way it was triple A funded.

Shannon Loftis is the one who needs to be scrutinized.

She was the driving force behinfd things like Phantom Dust.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I tell you, Shannon Loftis head should roll.
If she doesn't deliver something that doesn't feel like a copy past product moved to a third party dev, she should be fired.

Just to be clear guys the line up is this.

Bonnie Ross (343 Industries)
Shannon Loftis (Microsoft Global Publishing)
Alan Hartman (Turn 10)
Rod Ferguson (The Coalition),
Craig Duncan (Rare)

So out side of Forza, Gears , Rare games and Halo, Lofits is in charge of everything else.
She brings out titles like ReCore, State of Decay and every othe title they do.

They all report now to Matt Booty, who was just appointed Vice President of Entertainment in January.

Hopefull he has the balls to cut what needs to be chopped.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
I tell you, Shannon Loftis head should roll.
If she doesn't deliver something that doesn't feel like a copy past product moved to a third party dev, she should be fired.

Just to be clear guys the line up is this.

Bonnie Ross (343 Industries)
Shannon Loftis (Microsoft Global Publishing)
Alan Hartman (Turn 10)
Rod Ferguson (The Coalition),
Craig Duncan (Rare)

So out side of Forza, Gears , Rare games and Halo, Lofits is in charge of everything else.
She brings out titles like ReCore, State of Decay and every othe title they do.

They all report now to Matt Booty, who was just appointed Vice President of Entertainment in January.

Hopefull he has the balls to cut what needs to be chopped.
So basically MS is fucked until she's gone? It's like she's mishandling the budgets. She's expecting more than what she's willing to pay for. That was the case with the phatom dust remake before it got canceled.

Huh? I never questioned anyone as to whether it was ok for me to love the game. That is kind of an odd reply.
I was saying that I wasn't questioning you about loving the game before I went into the later part of my post about bugs.

I have the same copy as developers. Note that I said I haven't had any bugs or issues other than clipping. I haven't finished the game yet, I am in the early stages. False? What do you mean by false? Not sure why you are posting such a reply?
I'm basically saying you're full of crap by saying you only have clipping bugs when everyone else has all sorts of issues.

Why am I making such a reply to you? Are you really that clueless? I'm making the reply because people like you that damage control don't help anything. You're basically telling them it's ok to release buggy titles that should have been classed as early access.

Last edited:
H

Hedon

So basically MS is fucked until she's gone? It's like she's mishandling the budgets. She's expecting more than what she's willing to pay for. That was the case with the phatom dust remake before it got canceled.

I was saying that I wasn't questioning you about loving the game before I went into the later part of my post about bugs.

I'm basically saying you're full of crap by saying you only have clipping bugs when everyone else has all sorts of issues.

Why am I making such a reply to you? Are you really that clueless? I'm making the reply because people like you that damage control don't help anything. You're basically telling them it's ok to release buggy titles that should have been classed as early access.
I just mentioned my experience in the game so far. No reason to read into it. I never said that other bugs did not exist.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
If you’re saying they need more story driven games, I agree.
Not only that... Technically, GOW sweeps the floor with this one. Sure not every game can be A1 in all aspects but State of Decay 2 looks extremely poor on the technical side. They have the best hardware and release a game that performs horribly using an old engine (UE4) that everyone should've mastered by now.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006

Hopefully he has the balls to cut what needs to be chopped.
*chortle* Mr. Booty...

No, but seriously, the rest of your post is an interesting insight into Xbox; I had no idea Shannon Loftis was the one who brought out their newer, less popular IPs. I assumed most decisions were handled by Phil Spencer.

May 20, 2008
Not only that... Technically, GOW sweeps the floor with this one. Sure not every game can be A1 in all aspects but State of Decay 2 looks extremely poor on the technical side. They have the best hardware and release a game that performs horribly using an old engine (UE4) that everyone should've mastered by now.
Neither SOD game was graphically impressive to me and comparing it to a game GOW is like night and day. I just like the exploration and killing zombies.

That’s not to say Xbox doesn’t have any impressive looking games because they do. Forza, F. Horizon, Quantum Break, Gears 4, Halo 5 and Ryse are quite impressive graphically. Especially Ryse. That game still looks incredible today and probably would of been more successful if MS would of had the right dev handling the gameplay aspects of it. Gamers have been asking for a sequel but I don’t expect It will happen but it’s definitely a genre Microsoft needs to be doing more in.