Steam and download sizes.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Just a question for anyone who's aware or not.

When you install a game on steam it states what amount of hard disk space is required. I'm curious if this is the same size as they download or not? I'm assuming there is at least a little bit of compression with Steam's package installers.

If it is a smaller size is there a way to see how large it is?

Thanks.

ps. I hate bandwidth caps and/or sharing bandwidth with roommates.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I'm assuming the size it first shows (right before you download it) is just the download size, and I'm sure there's at least some light packaging involved. The fact that once you start downloading it shows the percentage out of that original size helps reaffirm that, I'd say.

... Unless I misunderstood you?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
View>> downloads
IT shows all you need to know. I dont think there is any compression because they dont install after being downloaded you can play the games as soon as its finished downloading.
The programmers are working on a new content delivery system so the patches wont be as big in future.

Last edited:

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
I've just signd upto STEAM because I had to in order to activate Fallout New Vegas jesus crist its a right pain just to get the game to install if I new about the STEAM client I wouldn't have bothered right now it's validating a new vegas file but seems to be downloading something????? I had at first problems with my CD-Key as the letters where printed stupidly turns out (I's) dont always always represent I as they could be an L or 1 what the hell it is downloading the set-up hasnt even begun yet from the CD.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Right now the servers are rammed due to all the sales so downloading is slow Ive been downloadign mass effect 2 since about 2am last night and its just finished.

CD key being printed bad isnt a steam problem.

Its downloading the game.

Chances are if its a Steamworks game (which it sounds like it is) you install about 50% from the DVD and the rest you download from the steam servers which makes it almost pointless buying the retail DVD to begin with. ( I found this out after buying Brink on DVD)

I have been using it since 2003 so used to all this stuff by now its like water off a ducks back all these "problems" newbies bring up.

Last edited:

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah. I bought Brink retail but just put the key in and downloaded the full thing from Steam. Did the same with The Orange Box and Left 4 Dead games.

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
I'm currently downloading EVE demo. At first it told me that it requires 5 GB, but after installing the downloading tools, it showed that I'm downloading around 7GB.

Therefore, your theory of compression might be true.

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5603693]Right now the servers are rammed due to all the sales so downloading is slow Ive been downloadign mass effect 2 since about 2am last night and its just finished.

CD key being printed bad isnt a steam problem.

Its downloading the game.

Chances are if its a Steamworks game (which it sounds like it is) you install about 50% from the DVD and the rest you download from the steam servers which makes it almost pointless buying the retail DVD to begin with. ( I found this out after buying Brink on DVD)

I have been using it since 2003 so used to all this stuff by now its like water off a ducks back all these "problems" newbies bring up.[/QUOTE]

I did a work around and installed it completely off the disc took a while but got it donw in the end because though I followed the requirments it still wanted to download the files, I removed STEAM reinstalled and it started to install off disc, pitty I got bored of NEW VEGAS within 30mins watse of money prefer F3 with its dlc