Switching Discs are a Pain?

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
Ok. I am pre ordered my copy of ME2 along time ago. I was confident in this great game and then I saw the Ars review which made stop and think.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/01/mass-effect-2-review.ars/2

Please insert disc 2

Yes, the game comes on two discs, and when you travel to certain planets you'll have to switch between them. Yes, this is a pain in the ***.
I know this subject has been discussed in many different ways, but this time instead of just an abstract talking point about switching discs in general. Lets get to specifics.

At which point would you as a gamer, find switching disc's unacceptable?

B

bachlab99

[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]At which point would you as a gamer, find switching disc's unacceptable?[/quote]

The day I become too lazy to walk 6ft. (i.e. never)

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]
At which point would you as a gamer, find switching disc's unacceptable?[/quote]

I think this is a tough question, because there are so many ways to look at it...but here is my take...

It becomes unacceptable, when the same game is offered on a different platform where I don't have to swap discs (looking at you FF13!)...

While I think this all stems back to MS wanting to get the 360 out the door ASAP, and I truly believe they would have preferred to be able to use HD-DVD as their optical media, I don't necissarily have a problem with ME2 having swapping because its not like i can go anywhere else (on consoles...yet...) and get the same game without the swapping...FF13 on the other hand is a different story...

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
Hmmmm... It depends. You can just install the second disc though, right? This would drive me nuts if I had to switch every few planets. I already was annoyed last game with the long loading times. But can't you just install the second disc?

Aug 26, 2005
It's only a problem if you have to switch disks multiple times.
Old FF titles like VIII and IX would prompt you to insert a new disk only once, and all areas could be re-explored without having to switch back to a previous disk.

If something like Star Ocean asks you multiple times to insert different disks so you can go back in the game, that's either bad programming or really annoying

S

SnowHawk

[QUOTE="skulpt, post: 0]Hmmmm... It depends. You can just install the second disc though, right? This would drive me nuts if I had to switch every few planets. I already was annoyed last game with the long loading times. But can't you just install the second disc?[/quote]

you still need the disk in so you have to keep switching.

psp&me

Dedicated Member
Mar 27, 2006
Well I can say that the PS3 version of Final Fantasy 13 will be version I pick up.. simply because it will be on one disc compared to the 360 version. ( That is my opinion so don't call me a fanboy )

Lethalmind

Fister Roboto
Mar 13, 2008
ISIS HQ
[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]It's only a problem if you have to switch disks multiple times.
Old FF titles like VIII and IX would prompt you to insert a new disk only once, and all areas could be re-explored without having to switch back to a previous disk.[/quote]
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Why isn't this the case in ME2? It's bound to get annoying after a while.

Shrinnan

Forum Guru
May 24, 2005
No, it's never been a pain for me. The only time it ever IS a pain is when the case containing the multiple disks holds them in poorly (I'm looking at you Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey!).

That's when I start to care.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="SnowHawk, post: 0]you still need the disk in so you have to keep switching.[/quote]

I wonder why. Wouldn't having the first disc in the console mean that you owned the game?

When Ben mention's the situation in the article, I had assumed he was smart enough to try to install the games and that it wasn't a complaint about getting up once to switch a disc. Because that would be silly.

Edit: Picked my copy up, I am not worried because of so many great reviews. I just didn't make it to level 60 in the original. I stoped at 53 or something. Does anyone know the bonuses for starting ME2 with a level 60 character?

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
Thats unacceptable. For the love of god why do you make people switch when exploring on an RPG. Its SO4 all over. its more anoying than you think. If it was simple as just inserting disc to continue story that fine, but exploring? No. trust me if you dont use a guide and you go to planet x, switch disc and find planet x dosent have what you need so you go to planet y, switch disc...get the point.

Shrinnan

Forum Guru
May 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 0]Thats unacceptable. For the love of god why do you make people switch when exploring on an RPG. Its SO4 all over. its more anoying than you think. If it was simple as just inserting disc to continue story that fine, but exploring? No. trust me if you dont use a guide and you go to planet x, switch disc and find planet x dosent have what you need so you go to planet y, switch disc...get the point.[/quote]

Except....that's not how it works for ME2.

ME2 is divided like this:

Linear progression (Disk 1)
Non-linear progression (Disk 2 - this is where you can explore to your liking without any worry about switching disks)
Linear Progression (Disk 1)

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Shrinnan, post: 0]Except....that's not how it works for ME2.

ME2 is divided like this:

Linear progression (Disk 1)
Non-linear progression (Disk 2 - this is where you can explore to your liking without any worry about switching disks)
Linear Progression (Disk 1)[/quote]

ahh so its like forza

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
We had a thread about this didn't we, the whole ME2 thing
everyone said said you only have to switch once, and the whole SO4 thing was a one off
but what is this?

Shrinnan

Forum Guru
May 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 0]ahh so its like forza[/quote]

Not exactly. From what I know about Forza (2), you can download the second disk so that no disk swapping is required.

However, one will have to swap disks twice in ME2 (disk 1 to disk 2 to disk 1) but it won't require constant swapping because of going to planet X and then to planet Y - a total of 2 times is required, no more and no less. Think of ME2 as a three disk game and then you'll get the idea.

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
is there not an option to install to the HDD and play off one disc then?

i bloody hope so, and if there isnt, can it be done through a software update?

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="Pez_555, post: 0]is there not an option to install to the HDD and play off one disc then?

i bloody hope so, and if there isnt, can it be done through a software update?[/quote]

Nope you can install both discs but ya still need the discs to play & you still need to swap discs too

Shrinnan

Forum Guru
May 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Pez_555, post: 0]is there not an option to install to the HDD and play off one disc then?[/quote]

You can install the game to the HDD but the disks still need to be in the system for a security check (thus disk swapping will still be required).

i bloody hope so, and if there isnt, can it be done through a software update?
From what I understand, that is not possible right now. It's a different thing altogether than Forza 2 (where content was on disk 2 while the actual game was on disk 1 - you downloaded disk 2 to the HDD so disk 2 was essentially DLC that came with the game). In ME2's case, disk 1 and 2 both have parts of the essential game on each disk.

What could eventually happen is if Microsoft released ME2 as a Games on Demand title. This would allow someone to buy and download the whole game on their hard drive which would in turn prevent disk swapping altogether (while wasting a lot of memory). That is the only software solution that I see happening.

To.Ken

Superior Member
Sep 6, 2007
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]Nope you can install both discs but ya still need the discs to play & you still need to swap discs too[/quote]

Thats pretty dumb IMHO. If you own disk one, you obvious have to own disk two. Microsoft should fix this.

[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]Nope you can install both discs but ya still need the discs to play & you still need to swap discs too[/quote]

are you sure of this? im sure i have all the disks for lost odyssey installed and i only need disk 1 in to play the game. got a link to confirm? if lost odyssey can do it i dont get how mass effect 2 cant. serious over sight on Biowares behalf

i stand corrected just tested my Lost odyssey and you cant do it, dont know why i thought you could

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]We had a thread about this didn't we, the whole ME2 thing
everyone said said you only have to switch once, and the whole SO4 thing was a one off
but what is this?[/quote]
I was also under the impression that you would have to switch discs only once.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Shrinnan, post: 0]Not exactly. From what I know about Forza (2), you can download the second disk so that no disk swapping is required.

However, one will have to swap disks twice in ME2 (disk 1 to disk 2 to disk 1) but it won't require constant swapping because of going to planet X and then to planet Y - a total of 2 times is required, no more and no less. Think of ME2 as a three disk game and then you'll get the idea.[/quote]

Um... I don't.

If it is linear to exploration, then I don't understand why ben would even mention it. People will have to backtrack? Or are you saying they can grab everything on the first disc, in one go?

[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]are you sure of this? im sure i have all the disks for lost odyssey installed and i only need disk 1 in to play the game. got a link to confirm? if lost odyssey can do it i dont get how mass effect 2 cant. serious over sight on Biowares behalf[/quote]

If ME2 can do that I don't see any reason to complain.

[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]Um... I don't.

If it is linear to exploration, then I don't understand why ben would even mention it. People will have to backtrack? Or are you saying they can grab everything on the first disc, in one go?

If ME2 can do that I don't see any reason to complain.[/quote]

my apologies i am wrong, you cant do it in lost odyssey i just tested, i dot know why i thought i was doing it all this time

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]my apologies i am wrong, you cant do it in lost odyssey i just tested, i dot know why i thought i was doing it all this time[/quote]

It's ok because I got to the last disk of LO..... and it took hours.

I didn't mind those swaps. If it takes you hours to get there then it is not noticable at all.

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
damn that sucks. there must be a way. if you can download disc 2 onto the HDD then surely it would be ok? i mean the only reason you would need disc 2 in the tray was for security check - but there must be a way around this if you have disc 1?

if only you could somehow put both discs in at the beginning for the security check then that disc gets tied to that 1 console (if you are planning on installing it), but at the same time you can use the discs normally (if you dont want to install).

Shrinnan

Forum Guru
May 24, 2005
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]Um... I don't.

If it is linear to exploration, then I don't understand why ben would even mention it. People will have to backtrack? Or are you saying they can grab everything on the first disc, in one go?[/quote]

Disk 1 is the linear opening (exploration is possible in the current map but not to the extent of disk 2) and then you get to the switch disk part into disk 2 (which opens up the exploration). However, as soon as you progress towards the end (the cut off point for going back) then you have to insert disk 1 again which will take you to the linear ending (no exploration possible besides the map you are currently on). You are essentially playing a 3 disk game, but with disk 1 acting as both disk 1 and disk 3.

Because of the way it's set up, it's very likely that disk 2 contains a lot more content than disk 1 (it's just that the last part of ME2 couldn't fit on the second disk so it probably had to be put on the first disk). This doesn't matter in the long run because you will never run into the problem of SO4 with the way it is set up (linear-exploration-linear).