Tales Studio Near Bankruptcy – Tales Series Doomed?

Jan 13, 2006
United States
Tales Studio, the Namco Bandai subsidiary responsible for the long running Tales series of RPGs, has been revealed to be in dire financial straits.
The company is 100% privately held by Namco Bandai, so its public reporting of accounts is limited, but what it has published recently is none too promising:

These figures essentially show an annual loss of 1 million dollars and an accumulated debt of 21 million dollars, exceeding their total assets – the company will either go bankrupt, “restructure,” or go cap in hand to Bandai bosses begging for more cash based on promises of future success – which may be problematic considering the size of the loss they are dealing with themselves.
An alternative might be a re-absorption into Namco Bandai, although this would not guarantee any success in actually tackling the decline of the franchise.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/20/tales-studio-near-bankruptcy-tales-series-doomed/

Not looking too good for the future of this franchise. I guess 360 timed exclusiveness didn't pay off at all.

Shame really.

Last edited:
YAY lets all come in and talk about how it would have sold so much more on the playstation and its their own fault, without knowing how much it cost to port eternal sonata or if they even made a dime back on it, for the ps3 version.

Theres a reason their games didnt come to the ps3 sooner. If they are guaranteed sales on vesperia ps3 it would be out in america already

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5065766]And this, people, is why JRPGs need to be on the PlayStation, especially when ToV year later PS3 port outsells brand new Tales game on Wii.[/QUOTE]

We need to mimic the 90's. For the survival of the industry.

Cloudie

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2005
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 5065576]YAY lets all come in and talk about how it would have sold so much more on the playstation and its their own fault, without knowing how much it cost to port eternal sonata or if they even made a dime back on it, for the ps3 version.

Theres a reason their games didnt come to the ps3 sooner. If they are guaranteed sales on vesperia ps3 it would be out in america already[/QUOTE]

Yeah because jrpgs sales more on the 360 in NA. Just look at the millions of ppl who bought The Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, and Infinate Undiscovered for the 360...oh wait!

TOV took 4 days to sale 33k copies on the 360 in NA and is considered the best game noone ever played for the system. I guess that was a big success for namco.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="lordAlucard, post: 5065562]Well if they hadn't made it a 360 exclusive they would've gained more cash and wouldn't even be in the boardroom.[/QUOTE]

Bul**** excuse. It's far more than that. Tales games have been on and off bullguarded from the west for a long time. If they had not selectively localized like they did then I'm sure their debt would not be nearly as high, if not non-existent.

[QUOTE="jubeininja69, post: 5065563]i hope MS helps them out. lol[/QUOTE]

again... stop and look at just how many Tales of games there are, please? Microsoft had a timed exclusivity deal for ONE of around 30 titles released since the original Tales of Phantasia. This series has been whored out across more platforms than Final Fantasy.

The problem is NOT whether not the games are made on playstation. The only instance that theory can be accurately applied to is ToV's poor NA sales. Japans poor sales were attributed to the horrid install base at the time. The issue is that they refuse to localize half of the entries to the series, therefore; cutting out a massive potential market.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="arfi-gorgona-O, post: 5065769]Das its not like a secret that the PS brand was always the home of Jrpgs.This is the reason i bought PS2 and PS3 actually.[/QUOTE]

You really have to wonder what are these publishers thinking. The western publishers sell to their audience, but the eastern publishers try to sell to the western audience.

Crazy world we live in.

Last edited:

Aizen-Sama

Master Poster
Jan 16, 2009
[QUOTE="geostar, post: 5066011]And yet they give up on basically free money with Vesperia on the PS3 in the west. How stupid is Namco?[/QUOTE]

Yup... I want to play Vesperia so badly but it seems like they have no intention of releasing it now. Namco can crash & burn for all I care and hopefully a more competent publisher such as Atlus acquire the Tales studio.

Sieghardt

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
Aug 19, 2008
posted this on another forum but I'll post it here as well:

It's a crying shame, they've released some of the best tales games ever recently but screwed them up through bad management.

Vesperia, Hearts and Graces should have been surefire successes based on their content, however Hearts wasted a ****load of cash on a CG version which sold less than 10k copies. But wait Sieggy, you say, surely the CG version was made in a stupid attempt to appeal to the west? I'd have thought so too, but the game was never released in the west.

Vesperia was another great game, but initially making it 360 exclusive hurt its sales in japan, then the release in europe was delayed nearly a full year, by which time everyone knew about the PS3 version and many people in europe, myself included, opted to wait for a PS3 version they never decided to release, despite having it 80 percent translated already, damaging european sales on 360 and getting zero western sales on ps3

Finally Graces, another great little game, but again no western release and the profits they made from the japanese release were quickly ****ed away when they had to replace every copy of the game due to bugs

Finally and most damningly is the fact that it's nigh on impossible to be a dedicated tales fan these days, even if you wanted to buy every game they release you'd need to buy a DS, PSP, Wii and 360 or PS3, not everyone has the money or the will to do so, it just makes maintaining a fanbase more difficult than it needs to be

LegendaryAim

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2008
It's a factor of things. One of them being that they don't localize a lot of their games for the west. Another one is that they've largely ignored the PS3 fanbase. Putting ToV exclusively did more harm than good. This was shown when the port to PS3 outsold the Tales games on Wii/DS/PSP/Xbox 360. Then they choose not to localize it and capture the momentum of the PS3. They could capitalized on the Summer drought. It did wonders for Arkham Asylum and it could do Wonders for ToV.

geostar

Super Elite
Nov 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Aizen-Sama, post: 5066163]Yup... I want to play Vesperia so badly but it seems like they have no intention of releasing it now. Namco can crash & burn for all I care and hopefully a more competent publisher such as Atlus acquire the Tales studio.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'd probably buy two copies, but right now Namco is on my most hated list.

soulz

Superior Member
Nov 21, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I would like my English ToV now, please.
I looked at the releases of the Tales series and they are basically just Japan only and take ages to bring it to the West, I think this is one of their main problems.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
Aw, that means no, US Tales of Vesperia for the PS3? D;

My favorite ones of all time is, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia. I love those games and I'm sure I'll love, Vesperia also. I should of taken, Japanese lessons back then so I can import it >_<

It's true that they whored the, Tales name and started making a great number of them for all consoles. Shame really. =\

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Yea I'm still confused why we were given Tales of Symphonia 2 in NA, but not Vesperia. I mean... wow. With Symphonia 2 they had to make all the VA, with vesperia they would have been able to take the 360's track. Quite honestly I wouldn't have cared that much if they didn't even bother with re-recording all the new audio they put in either.

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="FonFahbre, post: 5067150]Aw, that means no, US Tales of Vesperia for the PS3? D;

My favorite ones of all time is, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia. I love those games and I'm sure I'll love, Vesperia also. I should of taken, Japanese lessons back then so I can import it >_<

It's true that they whored the, Tales name and started making a great number of them for all consoles. Shame really. =\[/QUOTE]

What's up with your commas?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="The Praiseworthy, post: 5067556]Oh No!!

very bad news :(

well, I wonder if this has anything to do with not releasing TOV on the PS3 in the west?[/QUOTE]
That and all the other Tales of Games they've refused to release in the west.

Talking about the PS2, GBA, GC, DS, PSP, and Wii games.

Mar 23, 2009
Well thank god I got Vesperia on the 360...=| It's a great game and a shame that they didn't release it for the PS3 for the West.

But it's expected since the last game they localized...Eternal Sonata for the PS3 did very poorly...and ES was a ****ing great game too!

Jul 28, 2008
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 5065576]YAY lets all come in and talk about how it would have sold so much more on the playstation and its their own fault, without knowing how much it cost to port eternal sonata or if they even made a dime back on it, for the ps3 version.

Theres a reason their games didnt come to the ps3 sooner. If they are guaranteed sales on vesperia ps3 it would be out in america already[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Tales studio did not make Eternal Sonata and it was Tri-Crescendo. You are talking about Namco's bad choice of porting Eternal Sonata to the PS3, which is your opinion, and it has nothing to do with the Tales studio. I for one think that porting Eternal Sonata to the PS3 was a great choice because that's the only way I could enjoy that great game.

So if I'm correct, then you are wrong about using the porting of Eternal Sonata as one of the reason for the Tales studio's current financial status because it has nothing to do with them.