Tales Studio Near Bankruptcy – Tales Series Doomed?

B

BringIT

business is business... they made some terrible decision to put it on xbox when Japanese market was dominated by ps3.

and i thought the game was terrible anyway

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
hmmm, I wonder if Sony would buy that company then since they are going down the crapper at the moment. i wonder if that would be a good move.

Mar 16, 2008
Wait, this means we may never see Vesperia 2! :( I'm still waiting on that fan translation of Tales of Innocence though. If anything, the fan translations should show Namco/Tales Studio how much of a market they have in the US...

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 5068733]hmmm, I wonder if Sony would buy that company then since they are going down the crapper at the moment. i wonder if that would be a good move.[/QUOTE]

Well the Tales Studio is owned by Namco, but operates through financial independence. Sony can't legally buy them without going through Namco.

rykomatsu

Forum Elder
Sep 24, 2007
jpn-games.blogspot.com
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5067516]with vesperia they would have been able to take the 360's track. Quite honestly I wouldn't have cared that much if they didn't even bother with re-recording all the new audio they put in either.[/QUOTE]

a) Script length is quite a bit longer than the 360 version. PS3 had quite a few scenes that were also rescripted due to Patty and Flynn playing a much larger role, even if said scenes existed in the 360 version.

b) Doesn't Sony actually have an issue with stuff like that, ie. half-assed localizations for disc based releases?

Kxizm

Superior Member
Mar 16, 2010
One game being a timed exclusive didnt bankrupt the company. I'll be sad if they go under, but theres a reason they didnt sell tons of games. JRPGs are a niche thing anyway, esp the Tales games imo.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 5069870]The money is on the Playstation when it comes to RPG's. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's on the DS/PSP more than anything. Mostly DS.

geostar

Super Elite
Nov 24, 2008
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5069880]Actually it's on the DS/PSP more than anything. Mostly DS.[/QUOTE]

Actually PS3 and PSP are the top systems for the Tales series this gen. DS tales games haven't done very well. Vesperia PS3 did much better in sales than Graces and is the highest selling recent tales game.

I would still buy it this fall as JRPGs are pretty lean on consoles. Atelier Rorona is it for the fall so far. I still hope they bring it.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="geostar, post: 5069888]Actually PS3 and PSP are the top systems for the Tales series this gen. DS tales games haven't done very well. Vesperia PS3 did much better in sales than Graces and is the highest selling recent tales game.

I would still buy it this fall as JRPGs are pretty lean on consoles. Atelier Rorona is it for the fall so far. I still hope they bring it.[/QUOTE]
I was replying to his comment about RPGs in general.

Traditionally all the major tales of games have been on consoles. This gen and past.

Sieghardt

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
Aug 19, 2008
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5069880]Actually it's on the DS/PSP more than anything. Mostly DS.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all, dont confuse the large number of RPGs on those platforms for particularly good sales. In like-for-like comparisons the handhelds fare quite poorly

b) Doesn't Sony actually have an issue with stuff like that, ie. half-assed localizations for disc based releases?
not really, just look at Yakuza 3 :p

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Sieghardt, post: 5069965]Not true at all, dont confuse the large number of RPGs on those platforms for particularly good sales. In like-for-like comparisons the handhelds fare quite poorly

not really, just look at Yakuza 3 :p[/QUOTE]

I was replying to "The money is on the Playstation when it comes to RPG's. Simple as that.".

Whether or not the mass amount of DS RPGs sell well or not is beside the point. The fact that they keep being made shows there is profit being made. If there was no profit being made then they would not be developed in such excess.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Even if the Tales Studio goes under Namco still owns the IP. I doubt the series would just disappear. The direction the series takes would be a huge turn though.