Tech: Ask a Question

Jan 27, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1041854]Sorry about the double post im super ultra multi tasking at the moment and didnt even notice. Sorry...

When you set the HDMI Audio, do you use Auto or Manual?[/QUOTE]
I used auto and it selected PCM Linear 2 ch. 44.1 khz and PCM Linear 2ch 48khz but the voices are still quiet. In manual there are many options and I don't know if maybe the ps3 just picks the basic on auto and you have to fix it yourself on manual for good sound performance?
Thanks

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Commandermick, post: 1042487]I used auto and it selected PCM Linear 2 ch. 44.1 khz and PCM Linear 2ch 48khz but the voices are still quiet. In manual there are many options and I don't know if maybe the ps3 just picks the basic on auto and you have to fix it yourself on manual for good sound performance?
Thanks[/quote]

Yeah it tries to tell what its going to be used for and sends it out, basically it sends out the signals, detects what is going to happen with them and keeps it that way. I dont know if there is anything else you can do, in the future I would reccomend getting a reciever for your set up but until then I have no clue what else to do. Sorry.

[QUOTE="Cyrann, post: 1042420]What do you do for a living REFLEX?[/quote]

Im a musician and Ive made a lot of investments into hedge funds and other such things. Capital Management my friend, ofcourse I saved up a lot of money too, for soon I will be a student again. Ive done a lot of things.

Jan 27, 2007
Thanks for trying to help reflex.
Hey if its not too much trouble could you answer this question for me, I'm thinking about buying a surround sound system for my t.v since the speakers are mediocre on them. I have 2 HDMI inputs on the t.v so i dunno if that helps. Do you have any good recommendations for a surround sound system? or what should i be looking for when i'm buying one because i don't know too much about them and I really don't want to spend too much money either. Thanks alot

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]Im a musician and Ive made a lot of investments into hedge funds and other such things. Capital Management my friend, ofcourse I saved up a lot of money too, for soon I will be a student again. Ive done a lot of things.[/quote]

I was just curious, and that is great that you do what you like...

What genere of music do you make?

I too have a portfolio with a close friend of mine at Merrill Lynch, so I have learned at an early age (17 to be exact) the earlier you get started the better of it gets later... doubles every so many year, woot!

[QUOTE="Commandermick, post: 1045191]Thanks for trying to help reflex.
Hey if its not too much trouble could you answer this question for me, I'm thinking about buying a surround sound system for my t.v since the speakers are mediocre on them. I have 2 HDMI inputs on the t.v so i dunno if that helps. Do you have any good recommendations for a surround sound system? or what should i be looking for when i'm buying one because i don't know too much about them and I really don't want to spend too much money either. Thanks alot[/quote]

I know not to buy a Sony reciever, but its always good to put a price range so that REFLEX doesn't blow your bank account to a million pieces :)!

Dec 14, 2006
hi i am in the uk,
and have a ps3 (lucky me)
i am looking for a good source to buy my blue ray dvd's
as they are quite expensive in the UK.
can anyone advise a good store, good prices, that ship overseas ??

thanks

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Commandermick, post: 1045191]Thanks for trying to help reflex.
Hey if its not too much trouble could you answer this question for me, I'm thinking about buying a surround sound system for my t.v since the speakers are mediocre on them. I have 2 HDMI inputs on the t.v so i dunno if that helps. Do you have any good recommendations for a surround sound system? or what should i be looking for when i'm buying one because i don't know too much about them and I really don't want to spend too much money either. Thanks alot[/quote]

Well, if you dont want to spend a lot of money then you have a few more choices.... you can go three ways, you can get an HDMI receiver that handles TrueHD or other Lossless Audio off of the PS3/Blu-ray, you can get an HDMI receiver that DOES NOT (cheaper), or you can just get a receiver with no HDMI input.

The ones with HDMI input that deal with higher quality sound are more expensive, the ones with HDMI that do not as less, and the ones with no HDMI are even less.

All of them will give you surround sound, but to varying degrees and some other factors.

If you gave us a # on the amount of money youd like to spend we can help you make a good choice. Or atleast point you in the right direction.

[QUOTE="dundeebat, post: 1045538]hi i am in the uk,

thanks[/quote]

Hmmm try looking at amazon.com or buy.com, I cant think of anything else.... I dont even know if those ship over seas or not as I have not even bought from them myself yet.

[QUOTE="Cyrann, post: 1045221]I was just curious, and that is great that you do what you like...

What genere of music do you make?

I too have a portfolio with a close friend of mine at Merrill Lynch, so I have learned at an early age (17 to be exact) the earlier you get started the better of it gets later... doubles every so many year, woot!

I know not to buy a Sony reciever, but its always good to put a price range so that REFLEX doesn't blow your bank account to a million pieces :)![/quote]

Trust me..... its a good feeling to do what you want when you want and get payed for it. But its not all fun and games, and later this year I start going back to school again and then I go back full time as a student in 1 year.... ugh... I really am not looking forward to that.

Jan 14, 2007
[QUOTE="dundeebat, post: 1045538]hi i am in the uk,

[/quote]

From what I've read, aren't the Blu-Ray DVDs region specific? I know that Region 1 for the US will work in Japan, but I thought Europe was Region 2 and won't be compatible. I'll try to find the link where I saw the map and regions.

Jan 27, 2007
Sorry for not stating a price range.
I was thinking around $500 CAD max if possible for a fairly decent surround sound system. Also anything thats available in Ontario would be great too. Thanks for the help really appreciate it.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Commandermick, post: 1046760]Sorry for not stating a price range.
I was thinking around $500 CAD max if possible for a fairly decent surround sound system. Also anything thats available in Ontario would be great too. Thanks for the help really appreciate it.[/quote]

Hey, well I think you should look for a good receiver with optical capabilities (all of them), shop around on the internet, give us a few links of something you were looking for and post them here and I, or someone else can give you a heads up about what is good or bad! :cool:

Jan 15, 2007
When it comes to optical recievers...again, almost everything now, if you shop around you can find some great deals on Yamaha models. And judging from personal experience it won't let you down....they make a great product. But again, you will have to do so searching for a good price.
As far as ones I can suggest to avoid.
H/K (Harmon/Kardon) I don't believe the hype. A Big box, not always with alot of power, and THD levels that are nothing to be impressed with. Don't be sucked in by the kool glowing volume nob.. lol

Just my two cents
Cheers

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1049481]Harmon Kardon is alright, but I think a lot of their stuff isnt as good as they let on.[/quote]

Then what would your top three recievers be?

Jan 15, 2007
I would go for

1.Yamaha
2.Denon
3. There are lots of other good brands...

This is all subjective to how much you want to spend...as most people know the sky is the limit

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="Sticks4Legs, post: 0]I would go for

1.Yamaha
2.Denon
3. There are lots of other good brands...

This is all subjective to how much you want to spend...as most people know the sky is the limit[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you on the price point, I was just wondering his TOP three...

ElmntDark

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2006
Hey all, i just got a new TV , its a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD 1080p. (Model : LC-52D62U).
I also bought a MONSTER HDMI cable and i plugged my ps3 in to the tv. But when i went to reset the display settings, the highest i can go is 1080i. when i check mark the 1080p box, it tests the display if it works, . on the top right corner i can see INPUT, HDMI, 1080p. but then the whole screen is white/fuzzy for 30 seconds. and i cant stay on 1080p, only 1080i. can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot.
!! ive been trying to figure this out for a day or two now. None of my family friends know. Thanks a lot. hope u guys help out

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="ElmntDark, post: 1056375]Hey all, i just got a new TV , its a Sharp Aquos 52" LCD 1080p. (Model : LC-52D62U).
I also bought a MONSTER HDMI cable and i plugged my ps3 in to the tv. But when i went to reset the display settings, the highest i can go is 1080i. when i check mark the 1080p box, it tests the display if it works, . on the top right corner i can see INPUT, HDMI, 1080p. but then the whole screen is white/fuzzy for 30 seconds. and i cant stay on 1080p, only 1080i. can anyone help me out? Thanks a lot.
!! ive been trying to figure this out for a day or two now. None of my family friends know. Thanks a lot. hope u guys help out[/quote]

You asked this somewhere else, but ill post the answer here too... or well.... kind of the answer, are you sure your TV accepts 1080p signals? Not all 1080p HDTVs can accept 1080p. You can stay on 1080i through HDMI right? Well to me it sounds like your HDTV won't accept 1080p, only 1080i.. we will check...

ElmntDark

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2006
i dont understand. some 1080p HDTV's cant support 1080p? ?? X_x .. another note. i checked th eforums for this exact TV. and one guy said 1080p was beaitiful on the ps3.. trying to contact that guy for further help but nothing as of now ><

R

REFLEX

Some HDTVs that are 1080p, accept only 1080i and weave the image back together into a progressive image making it 1080p on the display. But they won't accept 1080p. If you can its just simpler to get a 1080p that accepts that resolution as well.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
ok here is a question. i just got a new lcd tv,
it does 720 and 1080i if i play a blu-ray moive.
will the PS3 down scale it down to 480.
or will the moive play in 720??
and also will sony ever fix this if the PS3 does down scale the moive to 480

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 0]ok here is a question. i just got a new lcd tv,
it does 720 and 1080i if i play a blu-ray moive.
will the PS3 down scale it down to 480.
or will the moive play in 720??
and also will sony ever fix this if the PS3 does down scale the moive to 480[/quote]

there will be no problems as long as your HDTV accepts 720p signals, because some games are in 720p have to be output in that resolution, so if your HDTV cannot accept them, then it outputs 480. But LCDs by nature are progressive so it should be able to accept 720p.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 1059507]thanks REFLEX yes my tv does accepts 720p signals and 10801[/quote]

Well you should be fine then, I see no reason why there would be an issue.

Jan 15, 2007
hey REFLEX:

I am looking at the Denon avr 4306. What are your thoughts on it for the PS3 and surround sound? Other considerations I am looking at is Yamaha but havent found one that is just as good yet or I liked.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 0]hey REFLEX:

I am looking at the Denon avr 4306. What are your thoughts on it for the PS3 and surround sound? Other considerations I am looking at is Yamaha but havent found one that is just as good yet or I liked.[/quote]

I have to go to work like... RIGHT NOW, but ill look into it when I get home later for you! I dont know all the Denon units, but for now check out the Yamaha 1700 and the 2700.... both are top class.

But I will check out that Denon 4306 you mentioned and see whats going on there and let you know.

EDIT: I checked the Cnet reviews and a few other sites and its a great receiver just as I thought. It should do you well, you can buy ones pretty much just as good for less, but this is an excellent unit and I would never tell anyone not to get it if they were wanting it. It passes 1080p, up converts non-hd material to 720p or 1080i, ofcourse this is a good feature for anyone with a HDTV, the only downside that Cnet.com gave this unit was that its a bit expensive for what it does compared to some of the other Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo units. But its good stuff.

B

Benzin

Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I was at a Super Bowl party last night and my friend had a Samsung 27'' LCD TV. I had brought my PS3 and I hooked in the HDMI cable for it. Now, when whenever we put a Blu Ray movie in, it wouldn't play in HD. It looked like it would play in 480i or 480p at best. It just looked absolutely awful. The TV supports both 720p and 1080i. At first I had it in 1080i then changed it to 720p to see if that would help. But it didn't make a difference at all. It was still being downscaled. Can anyone help me? Because I'm planning on buying the 32'' LCD from Samsung and I don't want this problem.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Benzin, post: 1060616]Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me.

I was at a Super Bowl party last night and my friend had a Samsung 27'' LCD TV. I had brought my PS3 and I hooked in the HDMI cable for it. Now, when whenever we put a Blu Ray movie in, it wouldn't play in HD. It looked like it would play in 480i or 480p at best. It just looked absolutely awful. The TV supports both 720p and 1080i. At first I had it in 1080i then changed it to 720p to see if that would help. But it didn't make a difference at all. It was still being downscaled. Can anyone help me? Because I'm planning on buying the 32'' LCD from Samsung and I don't want this problem.[/quote]

So first off, are you sure it supports 720p and 1080i? It probably does, but Id make sure to ask first off. Secondly can you confirm what signal it was getting? You should easily be able to access on the TV remote somehow to show you what signal the TV is getting. Do that and report back.

gcubed

Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2005
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1060514]I have to go to work like... RIGHT NOW, but ill look into it when I get home later for you! I dont know all the Denon units, but for now check out the Yamaha 1700 and the 2700.... both are top class.

But I will check out that Denon 4306 you mentioned and see whats going on there and let you know.

EDIT: I checked the Cnet reviews and a few other sites and its a great receiver just as I thought. It should do you well, you can buy ones pretty much just as good for less, but this is an excellent unit and I would never tell anyone not to get it if they were wanting it. It passes 1080p, up converts non-hd material to 720p or 1080i, ofcourse this is a good feature for anyone with a HDTV, the only downside that Cnet.com gave this unit was that its a bit expensive for what it does compared to some of the other Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo units. But its good stuff.[/QUOTE]

i have been doing a lot of research and finally bought a Denon this morning, and i will echo what Reflex said. It depends what you are looking for. If you want something a little cheaper you can definitely save some money and get a reciever that is still future proof. I just bought the AVR987/2807 (same exact reciever) and this can be had from J&R (authorized seller, so you get a full warranty) for $799 shipped to your door. But again, its not as feature rich, it doesnt have a network connection, etc. It all depends on what you want and what you have to spend. You cant go wrong with the 4306, its the bigger brother of what i just bought :). If you want to comparison shop, you can look into the Yamaha 2700 as it has roughly the same features, with a network connection as well.

B

bluefoxtoo

Hello! This is my first ever post. I need to find out one piece of Ps3/Blu-Ray/HD info that (as I am based in the UK and therefore don't have a PS3 yet) I can't check for myself!

Playing Blu-Ray DVDs on the PS3 will result in a HD 1080p signal? What happens if your TV is not capable of 1080p (the TV I was thinking of getting: http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z408d8xxeu.asp?page=Specifications supports only 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p)?

Does the PS3 downscale the resolution to 1080i?

As a "side" question...does the same thing happen with games.

Forgive me if this seems a stupid question but I haven't even seen a PS3, PS3 game, Blu-Ray of HD TV yet so it's all a bit confusing!

PS Great FAQ guide REFLEX...if it wasn't for that, this post would be a hell of a lot longer!!

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="bluefoxtoo, post: 1062041]Hello! This is my first ever post. I need to find out one piece of Ps3/Blu-Ray/HD info that (as I am based in the UK and therefore don't have a PS3 yet) I can't check for myself!

Playing Blu-Ray DVDs on the PS3 will result in a HD 1080p signal? What happens if your TV is not capable of 1080p (the TV I was thinking of getting: http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z408d8xxeu.asp?page=Specifications supports only 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p)?

Does the PS3 downscale the resolution to 1080i?

As a "side" question...does the same thing happen with games.

Forgive me if this seems a stupid question but I haven't even seen a PS3, PS3 game, Blu-Ray of HD TV yet so it's all a bit confusing!

PS Great FAQ guide REFLEX...if it wasn't for that, this post would be a hell of a lot longer!![/quote]

No problem. And welcome.

First of all, if the HDTV you seek supports 720p and 1080i, then your set. Whatever the HDTV does for native resolution won't matter too much in this case as long as it supports both those HD formats. You can output Blu-ray in 1080i. Even if your HDTV is 720p then it will work on 1080i. Same with games, if a game is 1080p it will output at a lower resolution, if a game is 1080i it will output 1080i, it a game is 720p it will do the same, depending on what your TV actually is for resolution it will work with these and display them.

For instance, my 1080p HDTV tell me (by hitting INFO on the remote) that when I play Resistance fall of Man on my PS3 that iam getting a 720p signal, since I have a 1080p HDTV the PS3 will output the native resolution of the game any my TV will take that resolution and process it to look good on the screen. IN this case RFOM is 720p, my HDTV does extra work and processed the image to make it look proper. Same with 1080i. 1080p basically goes (almost) straight in.

Replace my TV with yours and you get the idea, just things might be a bit more mixed up because yours it not 1080p. If that the TV you want, and you know for sure (from that site) it can support 1080i and 720p, then your set!