Tech: Ask a Question

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="gcubed, post: 1061589]i have been doing a lot of research and finally bought a Denon this morning, and i will echo what Reflex said. It depends what you are looking for. If you want something a little cheaper you can definitely save some money and get a reciever that is still future proof. I just bought the AVR987/2807 (same exact reciever) and this can be had from J&R (authorized seller, so you get a full warranty) for $799 shipped to your door. But again, its not as feature rich, it doesnt have a network connection, etc. It all depends on what you want and what you have to spend. You cant go wrong with the 4306, its the bigger brother of what i just bought :). If you want to comparison shop, you can look into the Yamaha 2700 as it has roughly the same features, with a network connection as well.[/quote]

Thanks Reflex. I noticed the Yamaha 1700 is almost just as good as the 2700 that you mentioned about before.

gcubed: Yea I noticed that the Yamaha 2700 is similar to 4306. I know that Yamaha has very good sound if one of the best. I will look at the 2807 also and make comparisions as well as the price.

Anyway next question,

After getting a reciever, is there anything I should know about what kind of speakers and subwoofer to look for? Brand, specs, etc? (7.1 ch)

Feb 6, 2007
I registered for this forum just to get the answer to this question that's been killin me for weeks.

I understand BLU-RAY movies are in 1080P, same goes for HD-DVDs.

My tv only supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

When I'm watching a BD movie, through components cables from my PS3...
am I seeing the movie in 1080i? 720p? or is it just playing it in 480p like a regular dvd?

and

since my tv doesn't support 1080p, should i even bother getting HDMI cables? Considering my tv has HDMI and optical out. Though my surround sound system doesn't have HDMI just optical.

Please end my frustration. I can't read another post looking for the answer. Everything is always just beating around the bush to my answer.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
As soon as REFLEX signs on your question will be answerd. I just wanted to tell you that b/c it might not be till tonight, but you will have your answer within the next 12-24 hours...

Welcome to the forums!

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=33467)[/URL]

The higher number of characters typed + quality of post nets you more points then lets say a 5 word post...

The main rules to keep in mind are (these are the most commonly broken):

1.) You must have 5 words per post, or you can recieve infractions...
2.) You must have 25 characters in post, or you can recieve infractions...
3.) Try to be nice to your fellow memebers...

The rest are here: http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=337

Feb 6, 2007
can you point me in the direction of the thread that will help me get like a million points in a short time. ;) or some free discussion one. i'll look around.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="sleeper26, post: 1063636]can you point me in the direction of the thread that will help me get like a million points in a short time. ;) or some free discussion one. i'll look around.[/quote]

Head to the General Chit Chat section and look for:

What song are you looking for?
What are you doing?
Ban the persona above you...

And threads like that can get your post count up but net you ZERO skill points!

You need to post in worthwhile threads to get good point totals! Just be honest and constructive, but not trolling and you will be up there in no time. It is easy to get 200 points a day! (I get more than that ;))

Feb 6, 2007
zero skill points? man. You guys aren't makin this easy, are ye.

well while i'm in this thread i might as well mention that I'm hopin the entire matrix trilogy comes to BD soon. as well as Final Fantasy Advent Children. the latter only makes sense being that its one of sony's babies.

R

REFLEX

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/986053_osusr/DSC_0205%20forum.JPG[/URL]
They are for adding juice to your system, they power it basically..... LOUD. ;) Home Theaters with larger speakers usually have atleast something like this, otherwise the digital receiever they are using cannot power the speakers fully, which can result is a speaker blowing or basically just not being loud enough for the speakers you bought. I dont have one because I dont live in a place that I can have all large speakers. Yet. Haha.

[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 1062499]Thanks Reflex. I noticed the Yamaha 1700 is almost just as good as the 2700 that you mentioned about before.

gcubed: Yea I noticed that the Yamaha 2700 is similar to 4306. I know that Yamaha has very good sound if one of the best. I will look at the 2807 also and make comparisions as well as the price.

Anyway next question,

After getting a reciever, is there anything I should know about what kind of speakers and subwoofer to look for? Brand, specs, etc? (7.1 ch)[/quote]

Well, it depends, this is a big question, do you want BIG speakers or smaller ones? Small ones can be a big bigger, some people think of just those REALLY small ones that fit in the palm of your hand or something, SMALL basically means that they don't really output that much bass, so they could be decently sized. So size is a factor, like with most things.... so its up to you on that one, after you know that, (because its expensive too!) we can move forward, there are many brands of speaker that are acceptable for different levels of home theater or set ups. If your getting a true 7.1 capable receiver then I would reccoment a 7.1 set up for sure. You won't regret it.

[QUOTE="danijel252, post: 0]What do you think about this Receiver Sony STR-DG700 and InFocus IN76 projector?[/quote]

I will have to look into that for you later tonight. Check back tomorrow or much later tonight when I can look into both for you.

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]

Well, it depends, this is a big question, do you want BIG speakers or smaller ones? Small ones can be a big bigger, some people think of just those REALLY small ones that fit in the palm of your hand or something, SMALL basically means that they don't really output that much bass, so they could be decently sized. So size is a factor, like with most things.... so its up to you on that one, after you know that, (because its expensive too!) we can move forward, there are many brands of speaker that are acceptable for different levels of home theater or set ups. If your getting a true 7.1 capable receiver then I would reccoment a 7.1 set up for sure. You won't regret it.
[/quote]

Thats exactly what I am looking for which is why i asked about the speaker setup. I guess I am looking for very good- to almost amazing sound all around set up. I dont want it to be too expensive here. Obviously I dont want only small speakers around the room. Some big and medium would be nice. Thats all I can up with cause seriously I have no idea about speaker selections.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 0]Thats exactly what I am looking for which is why i asked about the speaker setup. I guess I am looking for very good- to almost amazing sound all around set up. I dont want it to be too expensive here. Obviously I dont want only small speakers around the room. Some big and medium would be nice. Thats all I can up with cause seriously I have no idea about speaker selections.[/quote]

Well if its not too rude to ask, what is your budget for JUST the speakers?

B

Benzin

[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1061564]So first off, are you sure it supports 720p and 1080i? It probably does, but Id make sure to ask first off. Secondly can you confirm what signal it was getting? You should easily be able to access on the TV remote somehow to show you what signal the TV is getting. Do that and report back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does do both 720 and 1080i for sure. Secondly, we did check the resolution and it showed it at 480p. All the blu-ray movies looked very grainy and awful. What can I do to fix it?

Nov 18, 2006
North Carolina
[QUOTE="Benzin, post: 1064628]Yeah, it does do both 720 and 1080i for sure. Secondly, we did check the resolution and it showed it at 480p. All the blu-ray movies looked very grainy and awful. What can I do to fix it?[/quote]
Sorry if you already answered this, but what type of connection is it hooked up to?

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 0]Well if its not too rude to ask, what is your budget for JUST the speakers?[/quote]

I guess I would say $1000 to $1500. Is that too low or just right. $1000 would be best for me but I am willing to push it a little higher. :) Just trying to see some different options here.

Feb 6, 2007
thanks reflex. the thought of watching blu-ray movies in 480p was killing me. i'm finally satisfied. I currently have a Samsung TX-R2678WH hdtv and a HT-P38 home theater system. Nothing too fancy, but it all comes together nicely. I've seen other hdtv's that will show what kind of siganl the input is receiving, ie: 720p or 1080i, but I haven't seen anything that would display the current resolution at any given time on my tv. So you see where I got the headache.:) :) :)

Feb 7, 2007
I have an HDMI question, I just got a 37" Vizio LCD. It has 2 hdmi inputs and I've tried to connect the ps3 through either one and they don't work. My component cables work and I've gone to display settings and changed it to hdmi and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2007
which is better 1080i or 720p ? i have asked before about a insignia 27" flatscreen with 1080i, but now i am considering the 19 inch samsung LCD HDTV which is 720p i believe

minnis

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2007
quick question i have a samsung lcd 32 " flat widescren tv its highest resolution is 1080i ,now how much am i not getting without 1080p? i paid 1500 bucks for this tv about A year ago and dont want to upgrade unless its worth it .has anyone ever put a true 1080i tv up to a 1080p tv and noticed the difference?my tv is great and im really impressed with blu ray and how much clearer and more crisp the picture is,i just want to know that this tv is going to hold its own thru the hd era?

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="ftnssn, post: 0]I have an HDMI question, I just got a 37" Vizio LCD. It has 2 hdmi inputs and I've tried to connect the ps3 through either one and they don't work. My component cables work and I've gone to display settings and changed it to hdmi and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

We will have to see if its an HDCP issue... the screen just goes black?

[QUOTE="minnis, post: 1064905]quick question i have a samsung lcd 32 " flat widescren tv its highest resolution is 1080i ,now how much am i not getting without 1080p? i paid 1500 bucks for this tv about A year ago and dont want to upgrade unless its worth it .has anyone ever put a true 1080i tv up to a 1080p tv and noticed the difference?my tv is great and im really impressed with blu ray and how much clearer and more crisp the picture is,i just want to know that this tv is going to hold its own thru the hd era?[/quote]

If your TV accepts 720p as well as 1080i, then you should be happy. If not, you may want to upgrade for playing games, because the youll want to be able to play 720p game in 720p. So.... if it handles it fine, then sure!

gcubed

Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2005
[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 1064667]I guess I would say $1000 to $1500. Is that too low or just right. $1000 would be best for me but I am willing to push it a little higher. :) Just trying to see some different options here.[/QUOTE]

if you have the space, and you have a pretty decent budget for just speakers, i would get the floorstanding speakers for fronts, then get some nice bookshelf rears. As far as which kinds, you would need to go to your local hifi house, like Tweeter, or other stores that cater to high end market and listen. There are a few brands that are pretty equivalent, but ultimately it comes down to what YOU want in the sound. And remember, when you bring those bad boys home... if you are away for most of the day and no one is home, run noise through them. Better quality speakers need to break in before you get their real sound. I outlayed the money about 6 years ago for good speakers, so i havent been keeping up much with the market, Reflex can probably help you out more.

As far as the monster stuff, thats Monster Power I believe? Its power conditioning, etc. If you spend the money on a nice home theatre system, TV, reciever, etc, you should NEVER forgot to spend a few hundred on a power conditioner/batter backup. Getting clean power to all your components not only helps with interference, it helps prolong the life of your components. That being said, newer TVs, especially projections that use bulbs, dont take kindly to power outages and/or power dropouts... both will ultimately reduce the life of your bulb. A battery backup gives you enough time to start shutting everything down in case of a power failure.

On a side note... i know i talked to Reflex breifly about this, but I got my Denon AVR987 (2807 in disguise) in from J&R last night. Installed it, and popped in Crank. I almost cried. The sound is amazing in comparsion to my old reciever (Onkyo 575x), not only the ability to listen to Multichannel PCM, but even just on TV, the sound is noticably different. Auto Setup is great too, it got me almost perfect with the sound, just a little tweaking required.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
Thank you once again REFLEX...

What kind of speakers are we talking about -- pricerange/type -- that would need to utilize the Monster Power equipment?