Tech: Ask a Question

Jan 15, 2007
How good are axiom speakers?

http://canada.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi_175main.html#

Here is what I am looking at but the price range seems to be a little over especially with a 7.1 sound setup :). I can downscale the cost of getting a high end reciever such as Yamaha 2700 to 1700 for example :). I am trying to get the most dollar for sound here.

Or how about this setup?

http://canada.axiomaudio.com/wizardv2_results_disp.php?A1and2=D&A4=M&A3=E&A5=M&A6=8&A7=C&A8=-17

From what I have been reading is that its better to have a bigger budget on the speakers than on a reciever. So would the recievers Yamaha 1700 and Denon 2807 handle those setups? What about the speaker selections themselves, are they good? From the look of it the second choice setup is better than the first.

Jan 22, 2007
[QUOTE="sleeper26, post: 1064895]i've worked at best buy. dont get an insignia.[/quote]

ok plus the insignia is 4:3 ratio

gcubed

Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2005
[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 1065974]How good are axiom speakers?

http://canada.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi_175main.html#

Here is what I am looking at but the price range seems to be a little over especially with a 7.1 sound setup :). I can downscale the cost of getting a high end reciever such as Yamaha 2700 to 1700 for example :). I am trying to get the most dollar for sound here.

Or how about this setup?

http://canada.axiomaudio.com/wizardv2_results_disp.php?A1and2=D&A4=M&A3=E&A5=M&A6=8&A7=C&A8=-17

From what I have been reading is that its better to have a bigger budget on the speakers than on a reciever. So would the recievers Yamaha 1700 and Denon 2807 handle those setups? What about the speaker selections themselves, are they good? From the look of it the second choice setup is better than the first.[/QUOTE]

yes, you did a good job in picking a brand. Axiom are very good. You can get a 1700 or 987 (roughly equivalent) and they will power them just fine if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to syphon more money into your speakers :) . When you go to the next step up you are talking about a little more power and some more features, like networking/internet radio/music sharing, etc.

A good set of speakers will last you a lot longer then a good reciever, so you can look at it as more of an investment then your reciever is. Reciever technologies change, but a great set of speakers can last your for a LONG time as long as you take care of them

Cyrann... Monster Power is just monsters version of a power conditioner and UPS. Speakers dont go through there, but your reciever, TV, etc will. What i said earlier about getting clean reliable power helps in interference and lengthens the life of your equipment because it removes peaks and valleys that are often found in standard electricity and feeds an almost perfect wave of power. APC has a home theater version of their UPS's (look prettier) that do the same as the monster power, and are probably a little cheaper. If you have a rather expensive TV and a nice reciever, you should probably run some kind of power conditioner at the very least, with a power conditioner/UPS reccommended.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Benzin, post: 1067251]So do you have a solution Reflex?[/quote]

So strange, ... sorry to say it - but it sounds like the TV won't accept the Blu-ray output for some reason, if it accept 1080i and 720p then there is no reason I can think of why it wouldn't display the discs in HD. Can you give a specific model # of TV perhaps? I can't think of anything off hand that would make it do this.

AND A WORD ABOUT POWER CLEANERS OR CONDITIONERS....

Im not the final word on this by a long shot, just a guy who likes his HT (home theater) stuff a lot, I Think that in most cases its a good idea to get some sort of unit to clean your power for your stuff in your set up. It can help the communication between devices and help them last longer, this was mentioned above so I will not get into it much, I just wanted to say that I reccomend them as well.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Benzin, post: 1068033]This is the one right here.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5031322[/quote]

Well just as you said, it supports both 720p and 1080i, so strange that it won't accept the HD signals from Blu-ray.... if you have tried outputting the movie at both 720p and 1080i, through component or HDMI and it won't work then there is some issue here I cannot forsee..... its very strange indeed. Im thinking something must have been done wrong, but its very simple to do right... so I dunno.

Jan 15, 2007
Benzin: Make sure your PS3 XMB is set at 1080i resolution. I am guessing your XMB might be set at 720p. With my tv, if the XMB is set at 720p, blu ray will play at 480p. So I leave it at 1080i all the time.

Also check your general PS3 video output as well as Blu ray video output settings as well.

gcubed

Dedicated Member
Aug 3, 2005
[QUOTE="polskaforever, post: 1068183]Benzin: Make sure your PS3 XMB is set at 1080i resolution. I am guessing your XMB might be set at 720p. With my tv, if the XMB is set at 720p, blu ray will play at 480p. So I leave it at 1080i all the time.

Also check your general PS3 video output as well as Blu ray video output settings as well.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was gonna say the same, not sure if it was covered already. If your ps3 is set to 720p and not 1080i, blurays will show in 480p and look like garbage. I tried it at 720p cause thats my TV's native resolution, and while for games its fine, blurays dont work. I just leave my 1080i box marked now, not like i can really see a difference between 720p native and my tv outputting 1080i.

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1068011]AND A WORD ABOUT POWER CLEANERS OR CONDITIONERS....

Im not the final word on this by a long shot, just a guy who likes his HT (home theater) stuff a lot, I Think that in most cases its a good idea to get some sort of unit to clean your power for your stuff in your set up. It can help the communication between devices and help them last longer, this was mentioned above so I will not get into it much, I just wanted to say that I reccomend them as well.[/quote]

I have this for my set up:

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=49A5D26D057B4FC0B049FDC6B4B78FAD&ProductID=12392

Does that count?

dmac

Superior Member
Feb 23, 2006
[QUOTE="sleeper26, post: 1064895]i've worked at best buy. dont get an insignia.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yea me too. It's best buy's brand. They are cheap but probably worse than even a westinghouse

Jan 17, 2007
Thank you REFLEX, i'm waiting for your to tell me what you think.
I am buying a SONY KDL-32U2000 LCD tomorrow, so you don't need to bother with a projector.

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="danijel252, post: 1069340]Thank you REFLEX, i'm waiting for your to tell me what you think.
I am buying a SONY KDL-32U2000 LCD tomorrow, so you don't need to bother with a projector.[/quote]

It has a low contrast ratio, but in this case I wouldn't worry too much, to be honest iam confident you will be happy with this TV.

Jan 29, 2007
Why can't you have sound going out of th HDMI and Optical at the same time. I use HDMI with my Sony 46' XBR2 and use the Optical with my Receiver. I have to keep going into settings and choosing one or the other but it won't let you choose both settings or outputs at the same time.

By the way, PS3 is awsome on the on the XBR2!

R

REFLEX

[QUOTE="Rando, post: 1069929]Why can't you have sound going out of th HDMI and Optical at the same time. I use HDMI with my Sony 46' XBR2 and use the Optical with my Receiver. I have to keep going into settings and choosing one or the other but it won't let you choose both settings or outputs at the same time.

By the way, PS3 is awsome on the on the XBR2![/quote]

Why do you want both? I guess they only wanted you to use ONE output. Unless your receiver is hooked up to something less than stereo sound (who does that?!) then why would you want to use HDMI sound for your TV?

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1070130]Why do you want both? I guess they only wanted you to use ONE output. Unless your receiver is hooked up to something less than stereo sound (who does that?!) then why would you want to use HDMI sound for your TV?[/quote]

My guess is that when its later at night or something he doesn't want gaming noise coming through his home theater. But daytime or movie watching he will want that additional sound volume...

R

REFLEX

Just turn it down then! Its way easier than switching between the two all the time for some strange reason.

dmac

Superior Member
Feb 23, 2006
Has anybody listened to the Kef kht-3005. I'm really thinkin about getting them because I've heard good things about them and they would look sooo sexy with the ps3 (they have the same exact black glossy look). I don't have room for my big jbl's anymore and these looked like a good alternative, but I would like some more imput before I shell out the bucks.

Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="REFLEX, post: 1070130]Why do you want both? I guess they only wanted you to use ONE output. Unless your receiver is hooked up to something less than stereo sound (who does that?!) then why would you want to use HDMI sound for your TV?[/quote]

I don't want to have to use my stereo just to play a round of golf or madden but want to use the steroe for DVDs. What would by the problem or difficulty in designing both outputs to work at the same time. DirecTv receivers and standard DVD players work that way.

It's not a real problem but I was wondering if there was a setting tat I was missing or doing something wrong. I 'm just looking for a comfirmation that the PS3 simply isn't designed to do it.