Tell me if this is a good trade: Alienware X51 R2 question

Jun 25, 2013
I was browsing craigslist and came across a guy wanting to trade a pristine Alienware X51 R2. The specs are i5 cpu, GTX 760Ti gpu, 8gb DDR3, 1Tb HDD with alienware mouse and kb, and Alienware monitor running Windows 7. Basically he's wanting a console, so I offered my PS4, 2 controllers, charging dock and 5 games and he agreed to trade. So I guess what I'm asking is this a steal on my part? I've wanted to jump into PC gaming ever since the new consoles hit, since I'm not at all impressed with this generation of consoles and what's under the hood. That and PC games are dirt cheap, and Steam sales are crazy cheap. That and this is an R2 that can accomodate a GTX 970 or 980, so I should have a decently beastly gaming computer for awhile. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I wouldn't call it a steal, but you're getting a good deal. What's the wattage on the power supply?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Not a bad rig, but I would immediately change the cpu and gpu in that thing.

Jun 25, 2013
The power supply is the 330w version. Since it's an R2, I can slap a 970 or 980 in it no problem with that power supply. I will probably roll with it as is until summer, then go to an i7, 970, grab windows 8 and bump the ram to 16gb. I've been told that for just gaming, an i5 is fine and the i7 is overkill though I'm sure an i5 or i7 will bottleneck the 970 and 980 in cpu intensive games. Hopefully not too bad though.

I can't say that I'm not a little intimidated by going to PC, as I've been a console gamer for 30+ years. Does anyone know if you can hook this to a tv via HDMI? If so, does it require a regular HDMI cable or something special? I'm gonna be lost with this thing for awhile I've got a feeling.....I've got about $625 in my PS4 with games and stuff. Been told this X51 retailed for almost $1200.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I agree with Lethal about the GPU. In a year, it will be next to obsolete. PS4 can carry itself on it's design, ie. the VRAM can be adjusted to the devs needs. 1,2, 3, 6GB VRAM...that card is stuck at 2GB forever.

Wouldn't be too fussed about the i5 though. GPU's are the bottleneck in modern systems unless you're playing at 720p. CPU's are somewhat irrelevant performance-wise at the higher end. The dual core Anniversary Pentium can perform better than an i7 in certain games.

If you can upgrade with that PC definitely go for it. Game prices on console are extravagant if im being perfectly honest. And a straight trade (assuming everything is on the up and up) wouldn't be too shabby ;)

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
If you can indeed get a 970/980 in it then definitely trade it up. You wont be disappointed. For now the 760Ti is performing slightly better than the PS4 so you'll be getting OK performance for now and then when you drop a 970 in there, be blown away.

edit:

Regarding TV, just use the HDMI on the 760ti and hook it up to your TV and it will do both sound and picture through to your TV, just like a PS4. Don't be intimidated, PC gaming really isn't that hard and certainly not as hard as you're thinking it will be, you'll do fine ;)

This might interest you, gives you a bit more of a console experience....
[video=youtube;uVYbwin_2FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYbwin_2FQ[/video]

Slightly out of date as it's two years old and Big Picture Mode has come a long way but it makes using Steam with a gamepad much easier.

Last edited:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6411066]The power supply is the 330w version. Since it's an R2, I can slap a 970 or 980 in it no problem with that power supply.[/QUOTE]

A 760Ti sure, but a GTX 970/980? I'm not sure. I would have thought that the bare minimum you would need is a 450W PSU as the GTX 970/980 are considerably more powerful cards than the 760Ti. You're fine for everything else though. The system is currently selling for £700 on the Dell UK site so $625 is actually pretty good considering. I would say grab a 500W PSU and a GTX 980 and you'll be sorted playing everything at max for a couple years at 1080P.

Bhindi_Bhajji

Superior Member
Jun 5, 2006
I had an R! X51 which I upgraded to an AMD R9 270x , i7 3770K and 16GB RAM.

The thing was VERY loud under load due to minimal airflow so I moved all the components into a different case (excluding PSU of course as that's an external brick).

If you can put up with the noise go for it, but maybe think about transferring the components like I did if it gets too annoying!!

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Aah it's an external PSU? That would explain its size then and I'd assume that a riser is being used to set the GPU sideways?

Jun 25, 2013
The R2 power board supposedly boosts power so Dell has confirmed that a 970 or 980 will work with the 330w power supply. The 970 actually uses less power than the 760ti as I've read on the Alienware forums and nVidias site. I guess what intimidates is messing with drivers, especially if I switch from Nvidia to say AMD. Probably gonna stick with Nvidia anyway, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6411063]I was browsing craigslist and came across a guy wanting to trade a pristine Alienware X51 R2. The specs are i5 cpu, GTX 760Ti gpu, 8gb DDR3, 1Tb HDD with alienware mouse and kb, and Alienware monitor running Windows 7. Basically he's wanting a console, so I offered my PS4, 2 controllers, charging dock and 5 games and he agreed to trade. So I guess what I'm asking is this a steal on my part? I've wanted to jump into PC gaming ever since the new consoles hit, since I'm not at all impressed with this generation of consoles and what's under the hood. That and PC games are dirt cheap, and Steam sales are crazy cheap. That and this is an R2 that can accomodate a GTX 970 or 980, so I should have a decently beastly gaming computer for awhile. What do you guys think?
[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at the Alienware website to see how much it is brand new for that particular spec? In the UK Alienware minimum price is between £800-£900. No doubt in The USA it is cheaper. How good a nick is it in? TBH If i was you I'd sell the PS4 to him. Then with the money from that sale have a go at building your own PC which is considerably cheaper.

Jun 25, 2013
Been messing with this thing all day, and so far I really like it. I downloaded Steam and Origin so I could play BF4, and have quite a few games in my cart on Steam. Gamestop.com is running some good sales on PC downloads. Got BF4 for 5 bucks, Bully, and the ME Trilogy. I have horrendously slow DSL 6mb, so gonna take awhile to download all these. Might be worth paying more and just buying stuff on disc until we move and can get cable internet again.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6411211]Have you looked at the Alienware website to see how much it is brand new for that particular spec? In the UK Alienware minimum price is between £800-£900. No doubt in The USA it is cheaper. How good a nick is it in? TBH If i was you I'd sell the PS4 to him. Then with the money from that sale have a go at building your own PC which is considerably cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, more than half that price is for having the privilege of having the name slapped on to what would otherwise be a generic PC. This is why I will NEVER buy pre-built PCs; even to trade to give away a console.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6411233]For one with a lower end card than this is right around $1100. Same ram and i5.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that he is also paying for the name. Alienware probably charges an extra $500 just to sport the name lol

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6411063]I was browsing craigslist and came across a guy wanting to trade a pristine Alienware X51 R2. The specs are i5 cpu, GTX 760Ti gpu, 8gb DDR3, 1Tb HDD with alienware mouse and kb, and Alienware monitor running Windows 7. Basically he's wanting a console, so I offered my PS4, 2 controllers, charging dock and 5 games and he agreed to trade. So I guess what I'm asking is this a steal on my part? I've wanted to jump into PC gaming ever since the new consoles hit, since I'm not at all impressed with this generation of consoles and what's under the hood. That and PC games are dirt cheap, and Steam sales are crazy cheap. That and this is an R2 that can accomodate a GTX 970 or 980, so I should have a decently beastly gaming computer for awhile. What do you guys think? [/QUOTE]

I personally think you could've built yours for about the same price as your PS4 with two controllers, a charging dock, and five games, it would've been so much more beastly. I do game on the PC, I also game on the PS4 and soon the WiiU *crosses fingers*. I personally think that the other guy got the better deal compared to you, but that's obviously my opinion. Basically, that guy was "bestbuy" and you walked into his store. You don't really get a good deal at bestbuy most of the time unless it's black friday.

If you are done with console gaming and traded in your PS4 because you just didn't like the system, then I think you may have gotten a deal on this trade, but the problem I'm seeing here is you'll probably want to put in a new GPU in that PC, you not only did you trade in that bundle to him, but on top of that you are forking over money for a new GPU.

I'm pondering and getting wishy washy as this moment because I don't think it was a good deal, but if you're done with the PS4 and wouldn't use it anymore, then it was a deal. At the same time you could've built a PC that is much better, but again you would use money out of your pocket and still keeping the PS4 that you probably wouldn't play.

I honestly couldn't say at this point. I will say that Alienware use to have a name for itself once upon a time, but that isn't the case anymore.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="N0REGARD4LIFE, post: 6411066]The power supply is the 330w version. too bad though.[/QUOTE]
Wow ... that is garbage. :/

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
The GTX 900 series are very power efficient cards.

Don't quote me or anything, but isn't the 970 in the same ballpark as the old 660 cards in regard to power draw?