The 2 newest racing games

wesmore24

Forum Elder
Sep 9, 2010
@the bball court
So what do you guys think about Gran Tourismo 5 and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. I havent played GT5 but i plyed hot pursuit. So i just wnat to see what your opinion on these 2 games are.

VintageElise

Still NOT Better Than Cuguy
Oct 30, 2007
Super place called Wales.
I have both but will keep NFS till Christmas.

GT5 so far is a solid game. I'm not one to care about slight screen tearing and most of the standard cars are fine. Only annoying thing is trying to find a non-premium car. The one I need is never for sale at the used place.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Gran Turismo 5 is the pinnacle of racing simulation. Polyphony Digital has out done themselves again.

NFS: Hot Pursuit is a really fun racing game as well. It takes the series back to it's roots.

Nov 26, 2007
GT5 isn't perfect, but it's as good as console racing/driving sims get. As a far as NFSHP2 goes, I tried the demo and couldn't get past how poorly and boat-like the cars handled. I was quite thoroughly unimpressed.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Haven't yet played NFS:HP.

Gran Turismo 5. Definitely has it's fair share of issues and I'm yet to be convinced it's the best of the series.

But. Like it's predecessors; it IS a damn good game. I'd recommend it.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
NFS is a good game. GT5 is a good game. Like both of them but I enjoy GT5 more. But as someone else said, it they are different games but they both have their strong points. You will definitely spend much more time playing GT5 if you enjoy it.

Noryl

Superior Member
Aug 2, 2006
GT5 for sure. If you want a pick me up and play game I would suggest hot pursuit. If you want a game that challenges your driving skill and your ability to tweak cars the right way to get the maximum performance out of them then I suggest GT5.

F.C.U.M.

Superior Member
Apr 22, 2007
Manchester, UK.
[QUOTE="Noryl, post: 5317644]GT5 for sure. If you want a pick me up and play game I would suggest hot pursuit. If you want a game that challenges your driving skill and your ability to tweak cars the right way to get the maximum performance out of them then I suggest GT5.[/QUOTE]

Dont jump on me, as this is a truly genuine question, but at what stage in the game do I need to tweak the cars and actually be skillful, as all Ive done so far is buy cars that are better than everyone else. Its only if I intentionally buy a rubbish car that I actually have a challenge.

Noryl

Superior Member
Aug 2, 2006
[QUOTE="F.C.U.M., post: 5317652]Dont jump on me, as this is a truly genuine question, but at what stage in the game do I need to tweak the cars and actually be skillful, as all Ive done so far is buy cars that are better than everyone else. Its only if I intentionally buy a rubbish car that I actually have a challenge.[/QUOTE]

No thats a good question. You could simply buy a really expensive car that has good stock performance and never need to tweak. That is GT5 way of allowing casual players to enjoy the game without the need to figure out the in's and out of a car. However, what happens if me and you both buy a Nissan GTR and the car stock gear ratio is set to accelerate slowly but have a higher maximum MPH. Now with my Nissan I customize my transmission/drivetrain to allow my Nissan gear ratios to make my car have a faster acceleration but give up maximum MPH. Why would I do that instead of keeping the already nice stock performance you ask? Well because if me and you are playing a map with lots of curves my version of the Nissian will likely beat yours because I can accelerate faster after I break then you can cause I tweaked my car. Now that is just 1 tweak, there is a lot more 1 can do.

So what I am saying is you can just buy expensive cars with good stock performance but if you want to separate your cars from others who have the same car as you, or take that rubbish car and beat someone with a elite car you will need to learn the ends and outs of how each car works. That's why GT5 is not really a pick me up and play style like hot pursuit. And that why GT5 requires knowledge and skill to be consider the best of the best.

Last edited:

Juntao52

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2009
[QUOTE="F.C.U.M., post: 5317652]Dont jump on me, as this is a truly genuine question, but at what stage in the game do I need to tweak the cars and actually be skillful, as all Ive done so far is buy cars that are better than everyone else. Its only if I intentionally buy a rubbish car that I actually have a challenge.[/QUOTE]

When you get to expert and extreme, you will need to get technical.

bigCman123

Dedicated Member
Jan 30, 2009
I think I'm going to wait and buy Motorstorm Apocalypse ( I might trade MS1 and 2 on it)... That game looks spectacular, speeding through a city as it crumbles in to debris, dodging (or squishing) PMC's and random bystanders, and other crazy stuff. Plus the full customization, coop, upgrades, perks, actual story, sick soundtrack, custom soundtrack, etc will be awesome. I also heard there will be things like floods and tornadoes occurring in some of the tracks. Sounds like the perfect racing game for me.

woodsy85

Apprentice
Jun 25, 2007
[QUOTE="F.C.U.M., post: 5317390]GT5 is the same as all the old ones just with better graphics. Youll be bored after half an hour.[/QUOTE]

That there is why GT5 is such a brilliant game.
Polyphony Digital made a simulation racing game not a pick up and play game.
GT5 is like marmalade that looks like honey. The game looks great but the gameplay is deffinatly for the hardcore fans.
I know people that will play it for days and spend hours doing a single endurance race.
But i know alot more people who will play if for 5 minutes and turn it off and play a game like NFS.HP for the fun pick up and play style.

mcav

Elite Guru
Jan 12, 2007
[QUOTE="F.C.U.M., post: 5317390]GT5 is the same as all the old ones just with better graphics. Youll be bored after half an hour.[/QUOTE]

This is BS and you know it is.

Stop spreading it.

F.C.U.M.

Superior Member
Apr 22, 2007
Manchester, UK.
[QUOTE="mcav, post: 5317928]This is BS and you know it is.

Stop spreading it.[/QUOTE]

Well I do apologise for having an opinion.

Im sorry, but it is exactly the same as the old ones!! And I know lots of die hard GT fans that will agree with that statement, the game has not moved on at all.

Some people will be happy with that, some wont. I for one, arent. I expected so much more for this game. Im not saying it for the sake of causing an argument.
The damage is a joke, the tunnelled roads dont belong in this gen, the weather effects are dreadful, the inconsistent cars are just confusing, and the game feels half-ar5ed. After 5 years, it still feels unfinished.

Do I hate it? No. Im still playing it, and last night I had some online races with some of the guys in the GT5 Tournament, and it was the most fun Id had online for ages.
So stop being so defensive everytime someone dare say anything negative about it, and realise that not everyone will think that the sun shines out of its ar5e.

Thanks to everyone else for the constructive replies.

Kyaw

Master Sage
Jul 30, 2008
People keep saying GT5 is just a rehash of older GT games with HD graphics... etc etc.

Well, it is true... because Gran Turismo doesnt need to change its physics, doesnt need to change anything else, the presentation of the game is classy and cars are treated as love objects. You maintain and tune your car to perfection and you can enjoy each moment of it.
AI is also fine if you use a equal car as the opponents. It obviously does become balls when you are using overpowered cars than AI. Go and do the Super GT race with non modded Super GT car. You will have a hard time getting gold.

Also people expected too much from GT5 because it took 5 years to develop. But remember, there is GTpsp and Prologue in between. The team worked on those titles and that is the best part of 2 years or maybe more. And PD is a small team compared to others like Turn10. Turn10 outsource their modelling work and they have 300+ employees thus being able to have develop the game faster, but the quality differs greatly by having 3rd party modellers. PD models ALL of their own cars and they do this with great passion and detail as you can see from premium cars. And weather and damage in GT5 is probably something that is implemented very late in the development process from my guess.

Noryl

Superior Member
Aug 2, 2006
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 5318664]People keep saying GT5 is just a rehash of older GT games with HD graphics... etc etc.

Well, it is true... because Gran Turismo doesnt need to change its physics, doesnt need to change anything else, the presentation of the game is classy and cars are treated as love objects. You maintain and tune your car to perfection and you can enjoy each moment of it.
AI is also fine if you use a equal car as the opponents. It obviously does become balls when you are using overpowered cars than AI. Go and do the Super GT race with non modded Super GT car. You will have a hard time getting gold.

Also people expected too much from GT5 because it took 5 years to develop. But remember, there is GTpsp and Prologue in between. The team worked on those titles and that is the best part of 2 years or maybe more. And PD is a small team compared to others like Turn10. Turn10 outsource their modelling work and they have 300+ employees thus being able to have develop the game faster, but the quality differs greatly by having 3rd party modellers. PD models ALL of their own cars and they do this with great passion and detail as you can see from premium cars. And weather and damage in GT5 is probably something that is implemented very late in the development process from my guess.[/QUOTE]

You said it best my friend. Don't know why people keep saying this game is weak and it has all these problems. Well guess what..... The majority of people don't think so, just read the metacritics. The majority truly enjoy the game and that's coming from review sites as well as user reviews. The only knock on the game is the lack of damage. But guess what, they are coming out with a patch to show mechanical damage among other fixes. So not only did they release the realist racing game in the world, they are making a afford to improve it with patches.

Evoking1230

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2008
Ive only played the demo for NFS:HP, it was ok, very Burnout-esque, my son wants it for sure so probably be picking it up for him for xmas. Ive always been a GT fan so I have GT5 naturally and although I just started, its friggin awesome!!! cant wait to really get into the nitty gritty stuff :D