The eternal question: Flash or HDD?

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
I bought a Creative Zen Neeon HDD mp3 player (6GB) in November last year, and had to return it to the store, and later on to the company for repairs only after one month of purchasing it.

Why? Obviously, it had caused me problems. First it kept on freezing, and then the audio/headphone jack had broken. Not necessarily broken, but to produce a 'normal' sound, application of pressure to the base of the jack was necessary. That's not exactly convenient.. I then waited another 2 months for Creative to eventually replace it due to incompetent service in reapiring the unit. The unit I was given is now dead; it's frozen, will not work, after 6 days of owning it.

Anyways, the reason for starting this topic was to get your opinion on this subject - Flash or HDD? I know that A LOT of problems could be fixed if I buy a flash-memory mp3 player, but the larger-capacity of a HDD player is the main factor in determining the player I want.

I DO NOT want to experience this problem again, so I would like to ask your opinion on what mp3 players to buy to minimise the risk of this happening again.

Feb 16, 2005
If you move around alot, and go jogging or exercising with your MP3 player, flash is the way to go.

I'd reccomend the ipod nano 4gb.

Its pretty delicate when you abuse it. But because it has no hard drive, its immune to shock damage.

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
I have read many negative reviews about the nano, and read many complaints on other forums from customers who have bought one, it broke, and now can't claim a refund/replacement under their warranty.

I was thinking of the new SandDisk Sansa e200. It's got 6GB of flash memory, and it has room for an additional 2GB of removable flash memory. It's coming out about march, I think I migjht go for that one.

Nov 24, 2005
www.myspace.com
well my mp3 player is hdd, and id dont skip even if you jump up and down and do the hula, if ya wanna cheap player that wont skip get flash, if you want an expensive player get hdd but check out the specs on how much you can "shake"it before it skips if ya know what i mean
then again hdd's are more prone to break if dropped outside kinda thing