The Evil Within

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
So who else got this? So far....I hate this game, I mean I regret buying it so much. The letterbox sucks, the camera angle ir horrific, and the mobs. I mean hey I play the Souls series I am all in favor of mobs having the advantage, but to one shot you in normal mode? Even Souls game do not do that (mostly). This is def not remotely as scary as advertised. I am at the first gun battle fight where waves of mobs come at you and your guy is just so slow, bullets do not do much dmg, and yes they are upgraded. Dying for 15 min straight is not my idea of fun. Am I just playing this game wrong? I run shot, run shoot, and yes old RE games did that but the mobs where not crazy powerful on reg mode.

Locomotive

Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2012
Wow....wasn't this the game made by the Pacific Rim guy? I know his name just can't spell it.

Thought it would have been better than that.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Locomotive, post: 6389463]Wow....wasn't this the game made by the Pacific Rim guy? I know his name just can't spell it.

Thought it would have been better than that.[/QUOTE]
No that's silent hills, this is from shinji the guy who made resident evil.

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 6389457]So who else got this? So far....I hate this game, I mean I regret buying it so much. The letterbox sucks, the camera angle ir horrific, and the mobs. I mean hey I play the Souls series I am all in favor of mobs having the advantage, but to one shot you in normal mode? Even Souls game do not do that (mostly). This is def not remotely as scary as advertised. I am at the first gun battle fight where waves of mobs come at you and your guy is just so slow, bullets do not do much dmg, and yes they are upgraded. Dying for 15 min straight is not my idea of fun. Am I just playing this game wrong? I run shot, run shoot, and yes old RE games did that but the mobs where not crazy powerful on reg mode.[/QUOTE]

Didn't get it yet but dying every 2 minutes on normal mode not being my cup of tea, I will pass. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
hmmmm, ive had it since monday, yet to play it, reviews a bit like alien seem hit or miss, most love it, few hate it, might send it back and rent.....i still got high hopes, or get my money back

Vaas

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2014
Belgium
I've been interested in this game for a long time because RE4 is my favorite Resident Evil, and I like cinematic games.

Indeed, the movement of your character is a bit stiff. It's frustrating when there are enemies around you, but you can't kill them because you can't position yourself and the camera... Also, the story is a little bit weird. You have to look in a mirror to go to an alternate universe? wtf. Hope the story will be explained when I progress in the game.

I haven't played this game a lot (only for about 2 hours now) but overall I still like it though. I especially like the cinematic interface, the focus on surviving instead of action and the great atmosphere. Gonna lower the difficulty from 'surviving' to 'casual' though, because I die all the time lol

This would be my pros and cons:

+ cinematic design
+ Focus on surviving
+ atmosphere

- Frustrating controls
- Story is still 'meh'

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
The letterbox shit is driving me crazy. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am enjoying the game outside of that though. It is challenging and eerie as hell.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6389553]I hope you guys that hate the letterbox dont plan on getting The Order: 1886 because that game has it as well.[/QUOTE]
Yeah after this I don't plan to till its 30. I mean dragons dogma was letterbox but not this bad.

I sucked it up and changed difficulty. The difference is night and day.

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6389553]I hope you guys that hate the letterbox dont plan on getting The Order: 1886 because that game has it as well.[/QUOTE]

Even when I had a below 27" CRT tv I use to always purchase letterbox versions of movies. It's a little more upsetting with 16x9 format TVs now but it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions. The constant dying however (and it happens to me a lot even on easy games) is a major factor.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 6389672]So why is no one complaining about letterboxed movies?![/QUOTE]

Movies and video games are not the same and should be treated accordingly.

If a movie is shot in letter box ratio then was adjusted to fill a 16:9 screen then the viewer would miss things on the left and right sides that would be off screen. The movie "They Live" is full of messages on the edges of the screen which if the movie was adjusted to fill 4:3 or 16:9 screens then those messages would not be on screen.

A video game isn't a stuck camera point of view, you are in control of the camera so can point it anywhere and see the whole scene another thing is the black bars can easily be removed to fill the whole screen without having to zoom or stretch anything, the engine is just told to add those bars to the top and bottom.

Last edited:

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6389675]Movies and video games are not the same and should be treated accordingly.

If a movie is shot in letter box ratio then was adjusted to fill a 16:9 screen then the viewer would miss things on the left and right sides that would be off screen. The movie "They Live" is full of messages on the edges of the screen which if the movie was adjusted to fill 4:3 or 16:9 screens then those messages would not be on screen.

A video game isn't a stuck camera point of view, you are in control so you can move it to where you see the whole scene.[/QUOTE]

That's the point though. Not all video games want you to freely move the camera.

Shinji Mikami employed this very same technique with Resident Evil 4 when it was released in a 16:9 aspect ratio even though most displays were just 4:3 at the time.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
yeh I am enjoying it more now. I learned fuck upgrading anything but revolver at first for those instakill percent headshot.

Merchant

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2006
I'm in chapter 5 and didn't even notice the letter boxing lol.
Also at this point in the game I have only used a gun to kill about 3 enemies. It's all about the sneak attack and utilizing enemy traps to your advantage. I didn't even shoot the guy with the chainsaw.

I'm looking forward to unlocking higher difficulties. I'm always full on nearly all my supplies. Like the hardest mode on The Last of US, rarity of supplies is a good tension builder, and so far I'm not experiencing that at all.

My only real complaint is how dumb the AI is. But I guess they are supposed to be shambling brainless monsters for the most part.

Last edited:

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I've been watching a bit of playthrough, and to me, this game looks like so much fun. It's actually exactly what I was anticipating. The control aspect could have been a bit better, but it's nothing majorly bad. Graphics are really nice, especially lighting. Atleast on PS4 (Xbox One looks like PS2 with lack of lighting and horrible textures and effetcs =s).

I'll definitely get this game soon.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Merchant, post: 6389818]I'm in chapter 5 and didn't even notice the letter boxing lol.[/QUOTE]

I call bullshit! That was the very first thing I noticed as it is impossible not to notice that a quarter of your screen is black.

Merchant

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6389842]I call bull$#@!! That was the very first thing I noticed as it is impossible not to notice that a quarter of your screen is black.[/QUOTE]

I seriously didn't lol. But I just loaded it up a couple minutes ago to see if my screen was set up wrong. Maybe I had it zoomed in oddly. But no, the letterbox is there and tv set up normally.

And since you guys pointed it out, it is now the only thing I can focus on. It is suddenly very distracting when I hadn't even noticed it before. lol

Vaas

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2014
Belgium
I'm just going to say it: The Evil Within is hard.
Turned difficulty down to 'casual' (lowest difficulty), but still, I just spent almost over an hour killing a chainsaw guy...

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6389956]You can turn off the letterbox in the PC version.[/QUOTE]

But it is not recommended.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Wrath, post: 6390256]But it is not recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

They say that to cover their asses in case it crashes the game or worse their computer etc.
Some clever people have created mods to fix the aspect ratio and FOV so it looks how it should at full screen.

[video=youtube;WaG8xplgjic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG8xplgjic[/video]

Last edited: