The Gamer of PS is Back!

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
Well I'm technically back, on my 2 week vacation at the moment and its quite enjoyable. Thought I pop in for a sec and see whats up with my fellow ps3land/portalers?

Rock on,
Kevin

May 29, 2005
Well what's been going on here at PS3forums isn't all good news. I have not been posting very much for some reason and the Admins said we are switching from phpBB to VB!! :evil: :( . I hope they don't do it.

If you weren't here for E3, the PS3 costs a huge amount of money (it's worth it though) and PS3forums did not break any records like 95% of the forum users thought. I voted "No" in that poll and was right. Other then that, everything is the same. Welcome back.

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
Haha hover, I knew the price since way back in feb. I also have a disgression against the VB boards! I'd rather wait till PHPBB3 comes around instead of moving to the hard to code, and extremely buggy VB system.

Nov 13, 2004
Hey welcome back, and vB is better than phpBB. So don't worry about it. You'll like it. I hated it at first then I got it.

And I'm pretty sure you didn't miss anything since you are a journalist for PS3Land.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
PS Gamer said:
Haha hover, I knew the price since way back in feb. I also have a disgression against the VB boards! I'd rather wait till PHPBB3 comes around instead of moving to the hard to code, and extremely buggy VB system.
Extrememly buggy vB boards? Like 3 years ago, yeah. :? You have no idea how many bugs there have been with phpBB.

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
phpBB 2 I can see, but what Im hearing about PHPBB3...going to be a lot better then the vB boards imo. But hey its not my decison, so do whatever you want with it :eek:

T

Tribunal

janenba352 said:
Truly Id perfer Invision Power Boards myself over all of them.
I've seen many large Invision Power Board sites get hacked as of late. Something I'd steer clear of for awhile. Heck one of the sites has been down for alittle over a week now... :cry:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
PS Gamer said:
phpBB 2 I can see, but what Im hearing about PHPBB3...going to be a lot better then the vB boards imo. But hey its not my decison, so do whatever you want with it :eek:
Um...you're comparing something of the future to something that is current. If you're going to compare phpBB3 to something, compare it to vBulletin 3.6.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186803

Even some of the current vB features are far and beyond phpBB.

May 29, 2005
PS Gamer said:
I'm glad we agree on this. It's not going to be something good when it does happen. Another reason I don't like VB is because of the longer loading times. That drives me up the wall and through the roof!!

Even some of the current vB features are far and beyond phpBB.
I personally don't care about new features since I don't like VB at all. I rather have no new features then VB.

I've seen many large Invision Power Board sites get hacked as of late. Something I'd steer clear of for awhile. Heck one of the sites has been down for alittle over a week now...
Oh yes, I know what your talking about. Invision Power Board is weak against hacking. Even I could do it if I wanted too, and that's saying something.

Hey welcome back, and vB is better than phpBB. So don't worry about it. You'll like it. I hated it at first then I got it.
I don't see how that's possible!! I can't stand those boards.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Will you guys at least give it a chance? We're trying to make it as much like it currently is as possible. The last thing we want to do is ruin the forums.

Another reason I don't like VB is because of the longer loading times.
That has to do with the servers.

JordanL

Elite Guru
Sep 29, 2005
Let me clear up some FUD here... I typed out a response to PS gamer I'd like to paste:

I've had the distinct displeasure of "integrating" phpbb with several other programs several times.

Pain in the *expletive deleted*.

It's terribly commented and documented code; they broke many of the main functions and code into many pieces and spread it across several files. It's apparent that they coded it without any regard to where the fuctions went or what was going on each page, or the structure of how things are processed and built.

The code is pieced together, impressively insecure, and an absolute nightmare.
I've hand coded my own forums as well in two different languages. phpBB is absolute crap, especially compared to software like IPB or VB. phpBB3 is adding stuff that should have been fundamental to the concept of forum from the getgo, but hey, they're open source, right? :roll:

VB is a good switch, and the people at VB are thoroughly experienced with migrating message boards with minimal disruptance or loss of data. I would not be worried about it, especially when VB will provide a much better board.

Hey, great to see you back here, if only for two short weeks. It's better than nothing, I suppose :p.
PS Gamer said:
Haha hover, I knew the price since way back in feb.
They had it finalized way back in Feb, eh? Hmm, that's quite interesting. I wonder what else Sony haven't spilled yet (probably a lot, like the RSX).

What about the Gyro controller? Was that actually a last minute addition?

Angelcurio

Forum Elder
Oct 20, 2005
www.neogaf.com
The_One said:
Hey, great to see you back here, if only for two short weeks. It's better than nothing, I suppose :p.
PS Gamer said:
Haha hover, I knew the price since way back in feb.
They had it finalized way back in Feb, eh? Hmm, that's quite interesting. I wonder what else Sony haven't spilled yet (probably a lot, like the RSX).

What about the Gyro controller? Was that actually a last minute addition?
So, he knew the price as early as February, when important thir party developers like Koji Igarashi just learned about the price in the E3 conference? :roll:

Sorry, but i dont think that as early as february, the PS3 final price was already set in stone.

May 29, 2005
PeanutButterMunky said:
Will you guys at least give it a chance? We're trying to make it as much like it currently is as possible. The last thing we want to do is ruin the forums.
Let's hope that it isn't horrible when it does happen. I'm very worried about this because it can make or break PS3forums.

PeanutButterMunky said:
Another reason I don't like VB is because of the longer loading times.
That has to do with the servers.
I've been on 3 or more and the loading is slower then on phpBB boards overall. I don't think it's the servers. Unless they change something in the code or something it's going to be slower then phpBB IMO.

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
I've been on 3 or more and the loading is slower then on phpBB boards overall. I don't think it's the servers. Unless they change something in the code or something it's going to be slower then phpBB IMO.
probably is i think in fact it is, but after you go to the site often it loads faster. also the admin probably can fix it.
Let's hope that it isn't horrible when it does happen. I'm very worried about this because it can make or break PS3forums.
actuelly someone stated that our forums are in a slump and need a jolt if you ask me this is whats needed. the site is going to look a ton more atractive, and drag people in to it. its going to look clean cut and on top of that its going to have a ton to offer more than just posting. also the SMC and Mods are talking about a certain classified idea that i know for sure all members will love.

proof

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2005
I actually cant get onto any VB threads. People keep posting them and i cant see anything. If this happens to ps3foruns, im going to be devistated.

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
That has nothing to do with vBulletin being an issue. That's either your browser, your computer, or something wrong with their site.

T

Tribunal

Sure House I'll show yo... ohhhh you're tricky my friend tricky tricky, you almost fooled me into showing you. :lol:

PBM

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
the house said:
does that mean steroyed is going to loose all of his stars ? :lol:
No. Everyone will have the same amount of stars.

and also can you show us the new skin?
You'll just have to wait like everyone else. Sorry. *pat pat*