The Linux Thread

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
If there has been a thread like this before could a MOD please merge the thread.

I have made this thread to talk about all thing's Linux, distro's, new versions, updates etc. This thread is basically a hub to talk Linux.

So a shorty story from me:

Ubuntu I have installed on my system so many time's but it now seems that Ubuntu is slowly creeping adverts in the OS for example an Amazon app (surely that's against the terms of the GPL.). Bearing this in mind I think soon I will switch to Fedora.

Russia Today also have a video of Richard Stallman discussing what "free" software is and also goes into to the in's and out's of what "free" software actually means.

[video=youtube;uFMMXRoSxnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA[/video]

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6521296]I forgot Linux was a thing..[/QUOTE]

I feel the complete opposite...

Got Linux Mint MATE on my crappy little notebook the other day and the thing feels fast. Not that I really need "fast" as I only use it in bed mostly for basic web stuff, music, and solitaire, but it's faster than any other OS I've tried (other than boring Xubuntu/Xfce). Only downside is no hotcorners like eOS and Ubuntu, so no quickly switching between windows.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Got a 13" laptop I'm thinking of installing Mint on. Also thinking of picking up a couple of Raspberry Pi's for my nephews and dabble into a little coding.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6521936]Got a 13" laptop I'm thinking of installing Mint on. Also thinking of picking up a couple of Raspberry Pi's for my nephews and dabble into a little coding.[/QUOTE]
Your more ambitious than me, I cannot get my head around the different terminal commands.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6521980]Your more ambitious than me, I cannot get my head around the different terminal commands.[/QUOTE]
Over ambitious maybe. But I'm very enthusiastic about adopting to Linux.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Posting this on a Lubuntu flavor netbook. Actually installed this time. First time ever owning a linux or "linux" computer! Yeah!

(I'm not that ventured about the details around the different camps).

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Installed steam and seemingly it only shows Linux executable apps. I'm not sure what I can run on this 6 years old netbook though.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Yet the home computing market it's very poor. Why is this?

Currently posting from my android phone whilst watching movies on a raspberry pi running openelec.

Last edited:
T

thegroup

Hey everyone, I'm really new to Linux, and this is just some advice for anyone else who is just starting out. Linux is really different imo from all other operating system, so it's good to have an understanding of what makes it special and what makes it kind of annoying. There's so much info online but some of it is super confusing, but I did find this article here when I was searching and that was a good starting point for me.

I've now been using Linux for a few months and I'm really enjoying it. I actually only use Linux for personal browsing and work. I play a lot of PC games and I have a Windows system especially for that. But I'm really starting to appreciate it now. It's not fancy but it is secure and works very smoothly and intuitively.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
So I've been using a Linux distro called Deepin Linux which has a GUI similar to Mac OS, it is very nice on the eye and as it is open source it is very customisable.

If you want a Linux distro that is just like a Mac then this distro is just for you !...(and it's free :D)

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Sorry for the double post but had to bump the thread some how, I have got round to installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my laptop.

This release of Ubuntu is as smooth as butter to run I would highly recommend it

Oh and you can use Spotify on this version

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I have an ElementaryOS install on a Virtual Machine. Pretty decent, but not gunna lie, having Windows literally right behind the Hyperv window really drives home the chasm between Linux and Windows (or even MacOS).

The only real benefit i've seen with linux is the terminal... but powershell ain't exactly useless tho.

Pretty nice looking OS though.

Terminal in this distro is nice to as well.