The Manchester United Thread

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]Typical Manc but.. but.. but.. Torres dived once as well... Pathetic why steer the conversation onto another player to protect Ronaldo.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Typical Scouser, sais everyone else is wrong, but nothing can touch Liverpool. The fact is your moaning about Ronaldo doing those things yet your players do the same thing.

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Typical Scouser, sais everyone else is wrong, but nothing can touch Liverpool. The fact is your moaning about Ronaldo doing those things yet your players do the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Zing!

EVILPS3, it's fair to criticise a team or a player, but you've got t be willing t accept other peoples opinions about the same team/player or about your beloved torres.

Fernando9

Superior Member
Dec 25, 2007
Dubai
in every match we see a new diver but the best dive until know is the one made by Sergio Ramos yesterday and whats make it more funnier that torue got a yellow a card without touching or even put his leg. (cogida Madrid)

Danny2304

Master Poster
Feb 13, 2008
Liverpool, England
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Typical Scouser, sais everyone else is wrong, but nothing can touch Liverpool. The fact is your moaning about Ronaldo doing those things yet your players do the same thing.[/quote]

and :p

Nearly every player dives = FACT!

It's how the game has become!

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Yes i know, but you still persist on singling out a single person.[/quote]
Because he has a reputation and is still continuing to dive and act like a spoilt kid, you trying to compare Torres diving to Ronaldo is laughable at best, he has been kicked left,right and centre by every centre back in the league and watch him alot of the time he will get taken down in the box then pull himself back up and keep the ball, if anything Torres is the opposite to Ronaldo. I can single out Drogba as well but Drogba and Ronaldo are the worst and the sooner this **** ends the better it's destroying our game.

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]Because he has a reputation and is still continuing to dive and act like a spoilt kid, you trying to compare Torres diving to Ronaldo is laughable at best, he has been kicked left,right and centre by every centre back in the league and watch him alot of the time he will get taken down in the box then pull himself back up and keep the ball, if anything Torres is the opposite to Ronaldo. I can single out Drogba as well but Drogba and Ronaldo are the worst and the sooner this **** ends the better it's what's been happening for years.[/quote]

Fix'd.

If you look back at football post 80's, diving has been around for ages and hasn't changed much.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Sam_From_Space, post: 0]Fix'd.

If you look back at football post 80's, diving has been around for ages and hasn't changed much.[/quote]
Mate back off will you seem to be harrasing me, questioning and dictating my every single post.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
FFS, go post in your own Liverpool thread if posting here is that much of a problem, and so harassing and 'stressful'.

Ronaldo has dived, everyone knows that. And who else has dived? Torres. Gerrard. Drogba. Joe Cole. Robert Pires. Deco. Gilardino. EVERYONE does it. Even Jurgen Klinsmann dived!

So why single out Ronaldo? I think it's a jealousy thing. Sure, he's an arrogant w*nker, but when you're the best in the league and play for one of the most arrogant sides on the planet, and playing the best football of your career, you are bound to feel on top of the world. It's a human thing. Just as it's very human to be jealous or envious, and indeed bitter towards others. Fergie bought Ronaldo, and Rafa bought... Jermaine Pennant, Harry Kewell and Mark Gonzalez.

Why are you so ticked off by Ronaldo? Just because this is a Man United thread, and you're bitter that you haven't come close to winning a title in 20 years? If you feel the need to vent, this isn't the place.

Pool vs Blackburn, did you see how blatant Gerrard's dive was towards the end?

Torres. Hmph. Do you not recall that his reputation in Spain is not whiter than white either, and just because he has moved to a new league, that it won't follow him?

And as for the comparisons : Torres has scored 32 goals, Ronaldo has 40. Minus the 5 penalties he's taken, that's 35 goals. Ronaldo has scored 30 in the league. Torres has scored 23. Adebayor has 24. Am I rubbishing Torres? No. I am just pointing out that Ronaldo is not as rubbish as you would make him out to be. Ronaldo yes, has only 7 assists this season, but considering that he does more than just score (occupies defenders, drags them out of position, can play on the wing, inside left or right, centre forward, withdrawn striker, target man) what is there to complain about? As for Messi, he's a winger, pure and simple. A brilliant world class player, no doubt. But they influence the game in slightly different ways and are slightly different players. Would you want me to say that Gerrard is rubbish because he can't dribble like Ronnie, or run as fast as he does?

And please, all attacking players get done in by defenders. Just because Ronaldo is on the field, you think defenders won't kick the sh*t out of Rooney or Tevez? Likewise, with Torres on the field, you think they won't try and 'do' Kuyt, Crouch or Gerrard?

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
[QUOTE="Artanoma, post: 0]FFS, go post in your own Liverpool thread if posting here is that much of a problem, and so harassing and 'stressful'.

Ronaldo has dived, everyone knows that. And who else has dived? Torres. Gerrard. Drogba. Joe Cole. Robert Pires. Deco. Gilardino. EVERYONE does it. Even Jurgen Klinsmann dived!

So why single out Ronaldo? I think it's a jealousy thing. Sure, he's an arrogant w*nker, but when you're the best in the league and play for one of the most arrogant sides on the planet, and playing the best football of your career, you are bound to feel on top of the world. It's a human thing. Just as it's very human to be jealous or envious, and indeed bitter towards others. Fergie bought Ronaldo, and Rafa bought... Jermaine Pennant, Harry Kewell and Mark Gonzalez.

Why are you so ticked off by Ronaldo? Just because this is a Man United thread, and you're bitter that you haven't come close to winning a title in 20 years? If you feel the need to vent, this isn't the place.

Torres. Hmph. Do you not recall that his reputation in Spain is not whiter than white either, and just because he has moved to a new league, that it won't follow him?

And as for the comparisons : Torres has scored 32 goals, Ronaldo has 40. Minus the 5 penalties he's taken, that's 35 goals. Ronaldo has scored 30 in the league. Torres has scored 23. Adebayor has 24. Am I rubbishing Torres? No. I am just pointing out that Ronaldo is not as rubbish as you would make him out to be. Ronaldo yes, has only 7 assists this season, but considering that he does more than just score (occupies defenders, drags them out of position, can play on the wing, inside left or right, centre forward, withdrawn striker, target man) what is there to complain about? As for Messi, he's a winger, pure and simple. A brilliant world class player, no doubt. But they influence the game in slightly different ways and are slightly different players. Would you want me to say that Gerrard is rubbish because he can't dribble like Ronnie, or run as fast as he does?

And please, all attacking players get done in by defenders. Just because Ronaldo is on the field, you think defenders won't kick the sh*t out of Rooney or Tevez? Likewise, with Torres on the field, you think they won't try and 'do' Kuyt, Crouch or Gerrard?[/quote]
Have some rep!

A great way of wording it.

Nov 11, 2007
Bournemouth
Alright guys calm down calm down.

I'm glad I support a **** club, just sit back and watch the arguments and if you wanna call my team **** fair play cos I know they are it's just my hometown and that's what matters at the end of the day, well to me anyway.

So who will win the prem next year? Who is your ups & downs.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Artanoma, post: 0]FFS, go post in your own Liverpool thread if posting here is that much of a problem, and so harassing and 'stressful'.

And please, all attacking players get done in by defenders. Just because Ronaldo is on the field, you think defenders won't kick the sh*t out of Rooney or Tevez? Likewise, with Torres on the field, you think they won't try and 'do' Kuyt, Crouch or Gerrard?[/quote]
1.Your wrong Rafa did not sign Kewell
2.I did not for one minute suggest Ronaldo is rubbish just that I prefer Messi.
3.Did you see when Samba pushed Gerrard over from behind in the box against Blackburn?...
Finally no I'm not bitter or jealous at all Man United have had a solid team for years and always more money. Where as Rafa is steadily building a team and we are improving each year.

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
[QUOTE="stoneyps3, post: 0]Alright guys calm down calm down.

I'm glad I support a **** club, just sit back and watch the arguments and if you wanna call my team **** fair play cos I know they are it's just my hometown and that's what matters at the end of the day, well to me anyway.

So who will win the prem next year? Who is your ups & downs.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea about the ups and downs, but to win, Newcastle fo' sho' :p

Chelsea, I think

Nov 11, 2007
Bournemouth
Stoke will do a Derby,

Bet365 put them as favourites to go down and the Stoke chairmen owns Bet365 lol.
I cant see Chelski winning it unless they spend a lot of money which wouldn't surprise me.

Feb 20, 2008
smouch.net
[QUOTE="stoneyps3, post: 0]Stoke will do a Derby,

Bet365 put them as favourites to go down and the Stoke chairmen owns Bet365 lol.
I cant see Chelski winning it unless they spend a lot of money which wouldn't surprise me.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. Richest backer in the whole league means some astronomical bids.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="stoneyps3, post: 0]Alright guys calm down calm down.

So who will win the prem next year? Who is your ups & downs.[/QUOTE]

Again it's between Us and Chelsea I think, however if Liverpool buy and sell correctly, and keep a little consistency instead of all this rotation ******** then there is no reason they can't challenge. Arsenal are loosing players left, right and centre, they've already lost 2 of their most influencial players this season so they need to concentrate on bringing in top class replacements, they can't afford to be stingy with their money.

If United sort out a Striker that can score goals for a fun, and possibly a right back for cover then I think we will be sorted.

Good targets for teams I think are:

United - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Phillip Lahm or Bosingwa
Liverpool - Quaresma (you need a proper winger)
Arsenal - David Villa, David Silva, Ben Arfa

Not that I want those players going to Arse and Pool mind you, but I think they would benefit the clubs greatly.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]1.Your wrong Rafa did not sign Kewell
2.I did not for one minute suggest Ronaldo is rubbish just that I prefer Messi.
3.Did you see when Samba pushed Gerrard over from behind in the box against Blackburn?...
Finally no I'm not bitter or jealous at all Man United have had a solid team for years and always more money. Where as Rafa is steadily building a team and we are improving each year.[/quote]

I wasn't actually referring to your post, mate, but fair's fair.

1. My bad on Kewell.

2. I was responding to Fernando9, considering that some of his comments included saying that ronaldo did diddly squat against Barca, when in fact he won one penalty, was blatantly denied a second one, and led the line quite well, considering he doesn't play centre forward very often.

3.My response to this :
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/vwN0TxjnuRA&hl=en[/embed]
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/CXlXYl2p7Xw&hl=en[/embed]

And as for Torres :
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/N1-kCvKNVX0&hl=en[/embed]
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/kZpapsRcQgk&hl=en[/embed]

Sorted.

And before any 'pudlians get all upset, yes, I have already acknowledged Ronaldo dives. But to pretend that no one on your team does it, is just wilful ignorance, and delusional.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Absolutely spot on Artanoma.

But interestingly, I know it's Wiki so it's pretty stupid but, someone put on there that United have agreed a fee with Ajax for Huntelaar lol.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Artanoma, post: 0]I wasn't actually referring to your post, mate, but fair's fair.

1. My bad on Kewell.

2. I was responding to EVILPS3, considering that some of his comments included saying that ronaldo did diddly squat against Barca, when in fact he won one penalty, was blatantly denied a second one, and led the lien quite well, considering he doesn't play centre forward very often.

3.My response to this :
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/vwN0TxjnuRA&hl=en[/embed]
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/CXlXYl2p7Xw&hl=en[/embed]

And as for Torres :
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/N1-kCvKNVX0&hl=en[/embed]
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/kZpapsRcQgk&hl=en[/embed]

Sorted.

And before any 'pudlians get all upset, yes, I have already acknowledged Ronaldo dives. But to pretend that no one on your team does it, is just wilful ignorance, and delusional.[/quote]
I think you will find that I never denied that any Liverpool players dived, I just stated it was laughable to compare Torres diving to Ronaldos diving.
I would embed some ronaldo diving videos but it would stretch the bandwidth on this site.:lol:
Every team has its divers some prolific some not so but Ronaldo takes the biscuit for whinging and generally cheating every game.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 0]I think you will find that I never denied that any Liverpool players dived, I just stated it was laughable to compare Torres diving to Ronaldos diving.
I would embed some ronaldo diving videos but it would stretch the bandwidth on this site.:lol:
Every team has its divers some prolific some not so but Ronaldo takes the biscuit for whinging and generally cheating every game.[/quote]

Again, I was not responding to you specifically, but feel free to defend the honour of your club. Why don't you try and defend their actions, instead of attacking other teams?

When Ronaldo first arrived on English shores, yes, he was a diving git that showboated more than he did anything useful on the pitch. A bit like Nani now. Now, he is getting fouled more than ever, and does not get the protection that he merits, because, as we all know, reputations are hard to shake off.

Does he still dive? *Starts to sound like Wenger* I haven't studied the tapes up close with a magnifying glass, so I can't say for sure. But I haven't seen one in the past 5 or 6 games (can't recall the other off the top of my head).

Trust me, you'd be complaining as well if you were getting kicked every game.

But you know what? He's still a wonderful world class player, with bags of pace, every trick in the book, two footed dribbling and shooting ability, good header of the ball, and never changes the way he plays, no matter how many times he ends up on the deck after being floored by 'tackles' and 'challenges', real or otherwise.

I hate diving as much as the next guy (unless he happens to be Italian, or worse still, his name is Alberto Gilardino), but if you notice in that Torres video, there are two outrageous dives that are just as bad if not worse than anything Ronaldo has done.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Absolutely spot on Artanoma.

But interestingly, I know it's Wiki so it's pretty stupid but, someone put on there that United have agreed a fee with Ajax for Huntelaar lol.[/quote]

Until it comes out on either soccernet.com or football365.com, I wouldn't put much stock into it. I mean come on, it's WIKI. hehe.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
I know, but it's coming to the months were Transfer Muppetry is at a high :D, and even a sentance on Wiki that is probably 90% fake get's you excited :lol:

Nov 11, 2007
Bournemouth
He would be a good player for you and with the midfield and Rooney & Tevez along with Klass upfront. He is your missing Van Nistlerooy or however you spell his bloody name.

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
I does sadden me to see a player like Gerrard resorting to diving, but when Ronaldo first joined united he took the biscuit and the tin when it came to cheating, but I think Fergie has had a stern word and thankfully its become less frequent, I think at the moment its Drogba thats the worst, hes not even weedy like Ronaldo or Torres but he goes down like hes been shot, its sad to see good players diving, in my book Ronaldo wont be a 'great' player till he cuts out this sort of crap.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
Maradona dived too, btw. Even till the end of his career. (= Haha.

Zidane had his famous temper, right up to the last (sent off in WC'98 for stamping on an opponent, sent off in WC06 for headbutting, you know that one, and did put in the odd rake-down-the-achilles 'trick' as well as stepovers and magical skill)

And George Best was a selfish-on-the-pitch womanising-drunkard-off-it nutjob.

Yet we still consider them great players. It's a subjective thing, Xelis, and one that requires us to forgive a person's flaws to truly appreciate any greatness that might be forthcoming.

About Klas : - I've read that he doesn't have a lot of pace, and United's main attacking strength is the speed of the movement, as well as very incisive interplay. I'm not too sold on the idea, I would prefer David Villa, or Sammy Eto'o. We're a lot likelier to get those two, instead of Karim Benzema, who just oozes class, and has two great feet. But Seriously, if United will pay 27 million for Rooney, then 25 is not a stretch for Benzema. Likewise, I'm not sold on United getting Berba either (lack of pace, and he's already 28).

I'd like to see Manucho given a big chance in the first team. And man, I want Phillipe Lahm at Man United! While we're at it, how about Hatem Ben Arfa as well? Since Giggsy is going to retire soon.

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Artanoma, post: 0]Maradona dived too, btw. Even till the end of his career. (= Haha.

Zidane had his famous temper, right up to the last (sent off in WC'98 for stamping on an opponent, sent off in WC06 for headbutting, you know that one, and did put in the odd rake-down-the-achilles 'trick' as well as stepovers and magical skill)

And George Best was a selfish-on-the-pitch womanising-drunkard-off-it nutjob.

Yet we still consider them great players. It's a subjective thing, Xelis, and one that requires us to forgive a person's flaws to truly appreciate any greatness that might be forthcoming.

About Klas : - I've read that he doesn't have a lot of pace, and United's main attacking strength is the speed of the movement, as well as very incisive interplay. I'm not too sold on the idea, I would prefer David Villa, or Sammy Eto'o. We're a lot likelier to get those two, instead of Karim Benzema, who just oozes class, and has two great feet. But Seriously, if United will pay 27 million for Rooney, then 25 is not a stretch for Benzema. Likewise, I'm not sold on United getting Berba either (lack of pace, and he's already 28).

I'd like to see Manucho given a big chance in the first team. And man, I want Phillipe Lahm at Man United! While we're at it, how about Hatem Ben Arfa as well? Since Giggsy is going to retire soon.[/quote]
I think Berbatov is absolute class and would be great for United because at the moment if United are chasing a game they have got no one that can keep the ball and pose an ariel threat up front as well as him. Berbatov does not need pace if you watch him he can slow the game down to his own pace and is unique, the only player I can think of similar to him is Ibrahimivic.

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
[QUOTE="EVILPS3, post: 2817520]I think Berbatov is absolute class and would be great for United because at the moment if United are chasing a game they have got no one that can keep the ball and pose an ariel threat up front as well as him. Berbatov does not need pace if you watch him he can slow the game down to his own pace and is unique, the only player I can think of similar to him is Ibrahimivic.[/quote]

Great player, no doubt, wonderful first touch, and a very good finisher. But as I mentioned, United play at pace as Plan A, with Plan B to slow it down and what not, for Europe. Berba would be fantastic in europe, no doubt. But he would play half of the games in the Premiership, compared to how many games he could play for Spurs, since there is no substitute for the dynamism of a front three constituting Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo.

My heart says yes, get him, but his age is against him (probably another 3 or 4 years, tops). Considering that of the United squad regulars now, Scholesy, Van Der Sar, Giggsy, The Neviller aside, Ferdinand is the oldest at 29 (coming to 30 this year, I believe), with another 5 years in him (defenders age much better than attackers, don't they? Just ask Maldini). Then there would be Hargreaves at 27 (great athleticism, will definitely last till his mid-30s), with Wes Brown, also 27. Vidic is 26, Evra, 25, Ben Foster is 25. But how about that attack!

Ronaldo, 22.
Rooney, 23.
Anderson 19.
Nani 21.
Tevez 23.
Carrick is a bit older at 26, but I think he has the legs to go at least another 7 years. Fletcher is 24 (my age). Park Ji-Sung is 27, but again, he obviously has a very good engine, that can last a long time (never stops running, the little ******, much like Fletcher).

Saha is pushing 30, and I think will be let go.

So the pressing need there is obvious. One more striker (Villa? Berba? Huntelaar?), an attacking right back (Lahm! Dani Alves?), and maybe another striker as back-up (Manucho?).

I miss the days of having 4 top strikers ('99-01), with Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer and Sheringham.

EDIT : I'd take Ibrahimovic in a heartbeat. He's got pace too, which suits the United way. :D But no way in hell Inter would let him go, not after just winning the Scudetto.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
But if you look at this season, with all those players you've mentioned above we are not lacking in pace upfront, what we are lacking is somebody with clinical finishing, who can put away the 1-on-1's, because this season we've been abysmal at this but fortunatly Ronaldo has come up with the goods.

Huntelaar is probably the best forward i've seen for getting goals in any situation, and no he doesn't have the pace of Ronaldo but he does have about as much pace as Rooney.

Another beneficial factor is how cheap he would be, he would cost around £16 million minimum and he's only 24/25.

IF though we don't end up signing a striker this season, then to me this is a clear indication that we will try for Benzema in another season or 2, because if we do buy a striker now then we are unlikely to go for Benzema because we won't need him and when we do he will be too old.

I think as long as we don't focus on getting all our goals from Huntelaar he would be the missing piece of the puzzle, when we are counter-attacking the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Anderson and Nani will be breaking forward, it will mean Huntelaar won't have to have break neck pace. Oh and i forgot to mention, he is probably the best player i''ve seen for bicycle kicks, and he has a great aerial game.

Huntelaar is the missing piece upfront! :D.

Sell Saha >_>, i'm fed up of us having to pay his medical bills constantly.

Berbatov: Will probably cost too much, thought I think just as much as Huntelaar he would be perfect for us, he's getting too old and I think he's too moody.

Villa: Would be another class signing, but he turned us down for Valencia when he first joined them, if he comes to the prem i'd see him going to Arsenal or Chelsea.

We've been linked to Huntelaar for a few seasons, if we were ever interested in him then now is the season to get him, because if we don't go in for an offer he will be gone to most likely Real Madrid, but Huntelaar's agent claims he wants to join us.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/10/Eredivisie-Huntelaar-agent-on-Man-Utd/

Artanoma

Superior Member
Feb 28, 2008
He's just as quick as Rooney? Then previous reports I have read of his running speed are a bit off the mark then. I know that Dutch strikers always have very good technical ability, and when a good one shows up, he is REALLY good. (Van Basten, then it was Bergkamp, Kluivert (hit or miss), Ruud Van Nistelrooj, and now the current buzz around Huntelaar). No, Kuyt does not count. >.<

I would still take Benzema if he was available, but Lyon stuck a 35 million pound price tag on him, which is obscene (Berba has that price over his head as well, if an English club enquires, Spurs will sell him for 25 mil to European clubs).

However, right now, United basically have only Rooney and Tevez as a first choice pairing (with the occasional cameo from Ronnie), and you've all seen how toothless we can get when one of them isn't playing. Cover is needed. Throw in Huntelaar, the picture brightens up a bit. But what about a plan B with say, Huntelaar and Benzema? Awesome stuff, if it were to ever come true.

The problem with Huntelaar is that I do not want United to revert back to United 02-06, because we relied way too much on RVN to score, and we never had a proper plan B except to throw on as many strikers/wingers on as possible, thereby upsetting the balance, and we didn't win as much as we should have during that time. That is the danger of signing an accomplished 'fox in the box' and finisher such as Huntelaar.

In another season, perhaps United will try for Benzema. And in another season, (2009 start) he would still only be 22. Make no mistake about it though, to get him then, we'd probably have to pay something close to Zidane-like figures (we're talking in excess of 40 million quid here), IF he has another really good season. (so pray he plays like sh*te then in 08/09).

16 million though... Sounds like a good piece of business if it can be done. However, the Daily Mail (yes that bastion of journalistic integrity) reckons there's the option of Luis Fabiano for 7 million as well.

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8671_3545942,00.html

But I do think we will stand a better chance of landing Benzema if we win the Champions League.