The Official I got a PS3 Slim topic!

Daggers21

Super Elite
Jul 24, 2008
Canada, Newfoundland
[QUOTE="adzzz man, post: 0]my ps3 just died and if sony ask me to pay £150 for a replacement i might go for this. can someone tell me the diffrences please[/quote]
i would get it fixed, i am is a game stuck in it, because mine is only reason for getting it fixed(plus i only paid half)

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
ttech10 congrats on your new slim. it looks a lot nice then the pics.
i wonder what would have happened if u did not have fw 2.76??
iam so temped to buy a slim its not even funny

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 0]It's a rumor about Sony using cheap BR drives in the Slim. However, I don't personally think that to be true because it doesn't make sense...they could've put cheap BR drives in the older versions to save money back when they really did need to save...so why now?

Things are finally looking up for Sony to go with quality so why would they throw that away now?

But still, I'm just curious.[/quote]

It is possible cheap means cheaper in terms of price and not quality or/and reliability. We cannot rule that out. I guess we will find out in a year from now...

Edit* And for those people who like the SLIM design I knew it would happen, people just need to get used to the new design; it happens on almost anything new.

May 29, 2009
I ordered one today for my niece. I'm such a good uncle :p

[QUOTE="Loudninja, post: 0]I see alot of people got there PS3 Slims today ;)
[/quote]

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 0]It is possible cheap means cheaper in terms of price and not quality or/and reliability. We cannot rule that out. I guess we will find out in a year from now...

Edit* And for those people who like the SLIM design I knew it would happen, people just need to get used to the new design; it happens on almost anything new.[/quote]
Oh that's what I thought too at first. But then the rumor is from that same guy who had 95% of the now-found to be accurate information. He specifically said that the drives will be cheap (as in, not as good quality) and he went on to say that we will see the same result that we did from other competitors, meaning, failures.

But then again, he did mention that FW 3.0 will have party chat...which turned out to be false so maybe this is as well.

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
I just listed my PS3 on Craig'sList, once someone buys that I will be buying the Slim. Damn I sure am helping Sony out, this will be my 3rd PS3 I bought....

Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Metal Militia, post: 0]Seeing them side by side like that, I think the slim looks pretty cool. I still think the OG PS3 looks nicer but I thought the slim was, frankly, horrible when I first saw it. Glad to say that there it does look pretty smart.

Wha'!? Why did you even accept that? That's ****ing outrageous![/quote]
Well after the hole Gamestop credit card system jam fiasco, I decided to go with BB because they gave me an ETA of the 24th. I wanted all of my stuff bundled together so I stupidly accepted it. It shipped before I canceled because the slim was suddenly on backorder. So it was my fault and if I had bought instore that's another $20 PSN card, not to mention shipping. I got the slim at a GS retail store though.

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
I'm seriously thinking of getting the new PS3 Slim but I'd have to try and sell my 40GB and my 80GB to get it which I'm not to sure about.

A

aphxtwinin

got me a new slim today, but i noticed a minor problem, im not getting any key tone as i scroll throughout the xmb, i get game sound and movie sound but no keytone! any other new slim owners notice this?

adzzz man

Forum Elder
Apr 16, 2008
[QUOTE="the_End, post: 0]I'm seriously thinking of getting the new PS3 Slim but I'd have to try and sell my 40GB and my 80GB to get it which I'm not to sure about.[/quote]

i think thats a bad idea

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 0]ttech10 congrats on your new slim. it looks a lot nice then the pics.
i wonder what would have happened if u did not have fw 2.76??
iam so temped to buy a slim its not even funny[/quote]

Well it was 2.76 or later. I had just finished formatting a new HDD for another PS3 so luckily I already had it on a flash drive. But yea, I was curious as to whether or not the default FW actually was 2.76, since it would be odd that they didn't already have 2.80 installed on it. But yea, whatever.

Been playing Batman at about 3-4 hours now and it's still not too hot or gotten any more louder than it was (which isn't very).

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
[QUOTE="adzzz man, post: 0]i think thats a bad idea[/quote]

I know, but I really do like the Slim. Besides my 40GB has a dead Blu-ray drive so I want to get rid of that anyways.

Oct 2, 2006
ttech10, if you can, can you please confirm that the Slim bitstreams Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD-MA?

Either way, +rep for the photos and other comments.

Mar 4, 2009
Check out my unboxing video with first impressions, etc

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY_k6FffUA"]YouTube - Unboxing the new PS3 Slim[/ame]

acekat

Superior Member
Apr 15, 2007
[QUOTE="aphxtwinin, post: 0]got me a new slim today, but i noticed a minor problem, im not getting any key tone as i scroll throughout the xmb, i get game sound and movie sound but no keytone! any other new slim owners notice this?[/quote]

There's an option to enable/disable the key tone. Look through all the settings.

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
[QUOTE="RAiDeN-209, post: 0]im buying a ps3 but i dont know which one to get, slim or 60gb?[/quote]

Well since Sony no longer produces 60GB I would probably go with the Slim. Nothing wrong with going with the Slim, smaller, cooler, ect. Only thing is that it wont play PS2 games, if you can live with that then your golden...

Nov 16, 2008
don't mean to get off topic, but to whoever got the slim already, were you able to use the "use existing account" thingy when signing up for PSN again? sorry for the noobness of the question but im getting a slim when i get the cash & i dont want to loose my downloads & stuff

davin_g

Superior Member
Apr 18, 2006
I have 3 PS3s and you should have no problem with your account. I have the same account on all my PS3s and re-downloaded all my games to them all.

I am also interested in the BD playback. Do you notice any differences. Slower loading....etc.

A

aphxtwinin

[QUOTE="acekat, post: 0]There's an option to enable/disable the key tone. Look through all the settings.[/quote]
thats the first thing i did, i cant find anything that could be causing it to not make the keytone. i even reset my receiver and nothing

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 0]Oh that's what I thought too at first. But then the rumor is from that same guy who had 95% of the now-found to be accurate information. He specifically said that the drives will be cheap (as in, not as good quality) and he went on to say that we will see the same result that we did from other competitors, meaning, failures.

But then again, he did mention that FW 3.0 will have party chat...which turned out to be false so maybe this is as well.[/quote]

You may now know already now this but the BD drive is confirmed as a Sony proprietary one.

Edit* Is it me or do the icons on the XMB load that little bit faster? It is amazing that the shiny area resists finger prints; I wonder if they could have applied that to the whole system...and why if they could they did not. Maybe sometime in the future. Loving the LED lights just above the Metallic Grey buttons and the White PS Logo.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="dviper0800, post: 0]don't mean to get off topic, but to whoever got the slim already, were you able to use the "use existing account" thingy when signing up for PSN again? sorry for the noobness of the question but im getting a slim when i get the cash & i dont want to loose my downloads & stuff[/quote]

There should be no problem with it, as I've done it before on other PS3's that didn't have my account already tied to it.

I haven't been able to do anything with the PSN account today though because of the PSN being down, but once it's up I'll confirm it for you.

EDIT: Alright, yes it works fine.

Aug 12, 2009
UPS dropped off my games about 2 hours ago and i played MGS4 for about 2 hours lol. The front does not get hot at all! It actually feels like as if the PS3 weren't on. The back part (especially at the PSU) is where things get upper warmish. It's not a problem and not surprising, that's were the PSU is and all the hot air gets blown out through the back. The console is very quiet but not 100% silent. You wouldn't notice it unless it was silent and even then I dunno. Oh and mine shipped with a firmware pre 2.80.

Feb 26, 2009
I got mine! I pre-ordered it from GameStop. The lady there said they only got 3 in, 2 were pre-ordered and the other was sold before 1pm, when I picked mine up. People are going to try and get it on the 1st, the official street date, and they're gonna be sold out already, haha, that sucks.

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
[QUOTE="waytansea27, post: 0]I got mine! I pre-ordered it from GameStop. The lady there said they only got 3 in, 2 were pre-ordered and the other was sold before 1pm, when I picked mine up. People are going to try and get it on the 1st, the official street date, and they're gonna be sold out already, haha, that sucks.[/quote]

Not necessary, by that time they most likely have a new shipment.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Wow seeing those pics makes me wanna get a ps3 slim now i hope my little brother gets one so i can play him and cus it looks cool