The problem with FF Tactics.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
I love this game. So much stuff to do, what with the Jobs idea taking
up so much of my time. That's the problem though. I can't bring myself
to play the story, because I'm so hell bent on leveling up and adding
new abilities. This is one of the reasons I love the genre though.

I guess most who love the RPG genre, love endless leveling up. It
just seems with this game, it's a step further.

Does anyone else find this to be almost frustrating, the very thing that
you enjoy about the game. Odd.

Also, FFI and II came out recently, how am I going to finish all these!!!

Arg!!

Thorondir

Superior Member
Sep 6, 2007
I think i'm the other way around as i play RPGs mstly for the story and really don't like to grind lvls, but that has put me in positions where i must grind because i have tendensie of being underlevled:(.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
I completely agree with you, OP.

The way I think of it.....it's that the job system and all the customizing/leveling are just so deep and intricate (and fun), that everything requires so much preparation and thinking that it's hard to fully enjoy the game.

So basically for me, I can't fully enjoy the game because it takes a lot of thinking and preparation. But at the same time, that's what makes it so engaging and fun.

And this also makes it a tough choice for a good portable experience since most of the fights can take up to 20 minutes and the preparation before those battles also adds to the time.

I'd also like to add that this is the first RPG that has me hooked on the battle system and not the story, because it's the story that makes me play RPGs, like Thorondir.

Beodude123

Electronic Warrior
Feb 9, 2007
[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]I love this game. So much stuff to do, what with the Jobs idea taking
up so much of my time. That's the problem though. I can't bring myself
to play the story, because I'm so hell bent on leveling up and adding
new abilities. This is one of the reasons I love the genre though.

I guess most who love the RPG genre, love endless leveling up. It
just seems with this game, it's a step further.

Does anyone else find this to be almost frustrating, the very thing that
you enjoy about the game. Odd.[/quote]

If you think Tactics is bad, give Disgaea a try. I've spent like 60 hours on it, and I'm only on the 5th chapter. I don't know how many there are total, but I can't imagine I'm very far at all.

Thorondir

Superior Member
Sep 6, 2007
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I completely agree with you, OP.

The way I think of it.....it's that the job system and all the customizing/leveling are just so deep and intricate (and fun), that everything requires so much preparation and thinking that it's hard to fully enjoy the game.

So basically for me, I can't fully enjoy the game because it takes a lot of thinking and preparation. But at the same time, that's what makes it so engaging and fun.

And this also makes it a tough choice for a good portable experience since most of the fights can take up to 20 minutes and the preparation before those battles also adds to the time.

I'd also like to add that this is the first RPG that has me hooked on the battle system and not the story, because it's the story that makes me play RPGs, like Thorondir.[/quote]

Well it will be interesting to see if i react the same way you did Ixion as i haven't played Tactics yet, but will soon.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I completely agree with you, OP.

I'd also like to add that this is the first RPG that has me hooked on the battle system and not the story, because it's the story that makes me play RPGs, like Thorondir.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head. The battles are really good. What makes it even worse though,
is keeping bad guys alive to get the stuff off their dead comrades.

I must admit, I kind of wish it wasn't a portable game, as a battle at work on my
lunch break can take up most of it.

I really must find a proper jobs list. I mean, say I set a job too Samurai, how the
hell do I know what those abilities mean. Am I missing something here? Is there
like a help menu which describes the abilities and what they do. The back of the
manual isn't nearly comprehensive enough.

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
When I played the game way back on the PS1 I made an effort to level my main combat team to pretty much max. I can recall having every one of the main character's skills except the spell that you have to survive in combat to acquire. That means I had every available job with all the skills. I can recall using the weapon duplicator glitch to give all my main combat team the best weapons. Then I went and played the final level, I was expecting a challenge but less than 3 rounds later the main boss was dead. I have the game for the PSP, but I'm playing Jean D'arc first. Well until Patapon and later Chains of Olympus distract me. I had planned to get FF2, but SE has pulled the existing editions of FF1 and FF2 and won't have the games back out again till sometime in August.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]I really must find a proper jobs list. I mean, say I set a job too Samurai, how the hell do I know what those abilities mean. Am I missing something here? Is there like a help menu which describes the abilities and what they do. The back of the
manual isn't nearly comprehensive enough.[/QUOTE]

Press the "Select" button on the ability. I think that tells you what it does.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
It took me a while to finish the game, many stuff to do and the fights are addictive. It took me 75hrs to finish it and i will still level up some characters like Cloud.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]Press the "Select" button on the ability. I think that tells you what it does.[/QUOTE]

Cheers. Shows you how much I've read the manual. I'll be having a big
Tactics session tonight.

Nunalho said:
It took me a while to finish the game, many stuff to do and the fights are addictive. It took me 75hrs to finish it and i will still level up some characters like Cloud.
Cloud you say? Awesome.

gusgus

Superior Member
Dec 20, 2007
The main problem that I have with that game is, I'm generally not good at it. So, every time a guy goes down, I'm running over to get him back up, getting killed the whole way over. By the end of a fight, there's just a bunch of bodies in a pile. Just.. not.. good..

I'm going back to driving games...

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="gusgus, post: 0]The main problem that I have with that game is, I'm generally not good at it. So, every time a guy goes down, I'm running over to get him back up, getting killed the whole way over. By the end of a fight, there's just a bunch of bodies in a pile. Just.. not.. good..

I'm going back to driving games...[/QUOTE]

It's a VERY hard game and that's why everyone spends so much time with it, because of all the leveling. Although, like I said, the difficulty isn't perfect for a portable experience.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]It's a VERY hard game and that's why everyone spends so much time with it, because of all the leveling. Although, like I said, the difficulty isn't perfect for a portable experience.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Once you've got to grips with the turn based system, it's easier.

In the beginning make sure Ramza has basic chemist abilities and
is a knight, you have at least 1 chemist to back you up and a archer
equipped with a bow. Not a crossbow. I found that a mastered
white mage proves extremely useful. What with Holy pretty much
killing most in one hit, except bosses. < and even some bosses.

I find that having a time mage proves pretty useful, and monks are
kickass. I can see Samurai as a main ability and monk as a secondary
for Ramza being a really sweet combination, due to the healing
powers and doom inflicting attack. Let alone all the other perks of
the Samurais abilities.

ToonAssassin

!! Watch Your Step !!
Oct 26, 2007
Watching YOUR step !
i have spent around 70 hours on this so far and i know i'm nowhere near the end, not even close, i love this game though.

I find having a Monk, a white mage and a Summoner who also uses black magic to be invaluable, i swap and change the rest of the team to suit the battle but these three are pretty much a constant part of the team.

I've also completed Disgaea, this is another awesome game that just eats your spare time up, can last for ever in item dungeon mode.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
The monk is where it was at.

I realise now you have to sacrifice swords to use the Samurias abilities.
What a bummer. All that money on katanas.

How many guys do you have that are at full fighting strength compared
to Ramza?

I'm glad you can field a squad without Ramza though.

Mar 30, 2007
I think I am at about 40-45 hours into this game just trying to get the dark knight for my main character. It takes absolutely forever. I am hoping the last chapter has some good story to it. How many chapters are there in the game?? I think I am at the end of the third one right now and am hoping for at least 2-3 more but I don't think I am going to get that. Very solid game though

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
@jjjeser

Dark Knight is worth it becasue it gives you one of the Fallen Knight abilites where you can cure yourself while damaging enemies. You still won't be as stong as Orlandeu but it's the next best thing.

To the OP, I think it's the same thing with FFXII. I didn't really care much about the story, certainly not as much as the stories in FF10 or FF7, but the gameplay is what keeps me playing it. I think that's the magic of Matsuno, the creator for FFXII and FF tactics. I'm really looking forward to his new project on the wii.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Sino, post: 0]@jjjeser

Dark Knight is worth it becasue it gives you one of the Fallen Knight abilites where you can cure yourself while damaging enemies. You still won't be as stong as Orlandeu but it's the next best thing.

To the OP, I think it's the same thing with FFXII. I didn't really care much about the story, certainly not as much as the stories in FF10 or FF7, but the gameplay is what keeps me playing it. I think that's the magic of Matsuno, the creator for FFXII and FF tactics. I'm really looking forward to his new project on the wii.[/QUOTE]

Now what is that project exactly? I've been wondering what he's been doing since he left prematurely from FFXII development.

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]Now what is that project exactly? I've been wondering what he's been doing since he left prematurely from FFXII development.[/QUOTE]

Actually the project is still unknown to the public. My guess is that since Nintendo bought Monolith Soft there is a team there for Matsuno to work with under the same background in RPG.

Feb 26, 2008
I love the Tactics game and yes the battle system and class/job system is what keeps me hook. I started on GBA's Ogre Battle Tactics, then FF Tactics for GBA. Both are amazing games. If you are a fan of tactics on PSP, you definitely need to try those two on GBA, they are even worth purchasing a GBA if you haven't already.

Dorfdad

Super Elite
Sep 8, 2005
I prefer Jeanne Darc over Tactics graphics, storyline and length I hate 40+ hour games I never finish them...

Endless needless grinding for the loss.

Aug 14, 2007
I got tactics a few weeks ago, but watched for hours as friends played it in college on the PS1. Jeanne D'Arc is very similar to tactics in the way the game is structured. Battles are very similar, the big difference being that Jeanne has much fewer character options. So, it's much simpler, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. The graphics really blow tactics out of the water. There's cut scenes like in the PSP tactics, but it's the in-game graphics that are so much better. Each person is so much more detailed and probably twice as big on the screen as in tactics, and the scenery is also much more detailed and beautiful. Also, the sound on Jeanne is really good, I love the music.

I think tactics is superior for it's gameplay and options, but Jeanne is nice for a more casual TRPG with great graphics and story. Both are definitely worth getting.

I'm looking into Disgaea and Brave Story: New Traveler, plus Wild Arms XF is coming out in March as well, plus Crisis Core of course (though it looks like CC will be an action RPG, most unfortunately). Man, the PSP is just fantastic for RPG fans!

-Nate