The PS3 is poised for a successful 2008: What's looking good for us on the horizon

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
Heh heh...that blog entry really made me chuckle. Before anyone assumes, this isn't the insecure raving and ranting of an individual with something to prove, but rather the calculated retaliation against a fool up against the ropes. A bitter, embattled, beaten fool who's come out swinging in a flurry of reckless punches as a last hurrah.

Now, I'll admit, 2007 wasn't that great to start out. We had Resistance in the beginning, Motorstorm a little later, and that was about it for a while. Noted and accepted.

Sales and reviews are a very weak argument. Remember, this isn't about insecurity folks, so I won't go there.

Anyway, let's take another look back. In the beginning, and for a while afterwards, we were bombarded with trolls, negative press, rotten blog posts, and a slew of armageddon declarations thrown in Sony's direction. Thing was, at the time, a lot of what was being said held a fair degree of water. We didn't have games...sales weren't spectacular(compared to the Wii, anyway), prices were high, we lost some 3rd party exclusives, we had no rumble, our PSN SUCKED from a content standpoint, and we didn't really know what was in the pipeline.

On top of all of that, we heard a lot, and I mean TONS of unsubstantiated bullcrap tossed left, right, and center.

"Blu-Ray will have horrible read speeds, load times will be atrocious!"

"Developers don't want, need, and will never use the space on BD!"

"The Cell wasn't built for games!"

"Your install base will never be profitable!"

"The RSX was a tacked on, weak GPU!"

"You'll NEVER get rumble back!"

"Your mutliplatform titles will always be inferior!"

"Your network is devoid of features!"

"Your network will cost money someday!"

"Your online games will all be a laggy mess!"

"There's no games!"

If anyone can think of anymore, please, be my guest, some of the things that have been said were pure comedy. We could practically make a thread collecting these priceless gems.

Fast forward to now...how often do we hear stuff like this anymore? :crickets: I rest my case...

With each announcement Sony made though, we'd see less and less of this tripe. Why? People were impressed and pleased with the offerings made, that's why. I remember hearing less FUD after the LBP and Home announcements. Less FUD after the Ratchet reveal. Less FUD after the Killzone reveal...GT5P, Infamous, The Agency, PSP connectivity, MGS5, PSEye, UT3, FFXIII, Motorstorm 2... take your pick ladies and gentlemen, but my point is, that as time passed, and things were put in the pipeline that people were looking forward to, suddenly this "Sony sucks" bandwagon began to fall by the wayside.

Let's not forget about our lineup becoming more robust throughout the year. Let's not forget about the plethora of trailers, demos, and features that have come with each passing firmware and PSN update. The momentum is definitely shifting for the PS3, and everyone, whether they like the thing or not, is taking notice.

What does all of this really mean? Basically that these doom and gloom stories are all grasping at straws if they're showing up now. This "Sony fails in 2007" one in particular, because what's the topic about? The past...:?...that's right, the past. Apparently, the future doesn't exist anymore for Sony. Home isn't coming out anymore, no more free online gaming, no more MGS4, Killzone 2, and the rest of the heavy hitters of next year, none of that. They've dropped their packs and quit. That's when we know that the trolls and naysayers are truly running out of things to say, folks. Had it been a simple synopsis it would be a different story, but failure was declared...Dreamcast comparisons were brought up, and exiting the territory is seemingly the most likely course of action.

I say all of this because there seems to be a lot of bitterness surrounding this sort of thing even now. Like I said, when people have to pull up the irrelevant past(much like how trolls used to try and use the PS2 launch as ammo to attack the PS3 launch:lol:), then you know they've run out of relevant, pertinent points to make. What does any of this have to do with right now and the future? Sales are continuously picking up, features are steadily being worked on and sent to the community, the Store becomes more and more robust with each passing week, online gaming is only growing and consistently remaining as stable as it always has been(sans CoD4 atm :lol:), and we've got several diverse, high profile titles in the pipeline.

I'm just hoping that with this everyone can see how laughable these smear campaigns are, particularly when they have to resort to stuff like this. To put this into perspective, using this logic would have said that Gilbert Arenas never would have become the franchise player of the Wizards. Tom Brady(I believe a 6th round pick) should have quit before he won 3 Super Bowls(I hate the Patriots btw).

A rocky start that continues to be rocky is one thing...but I think we can all agree that the rocky days are behind us, so anymore allusions to the past = moot point. The future is looking quite grand, and there isn't much I can think of that can stand in the way of it. Cheers folks, get ready to ring in the new year with a bang, as this sort of thing makes it all the sweeter if you ask me.

HiX

Dedicated Member
Sep 22, 2005
Fun read. Makes the PS3 owner inside of me feeling warm and fuzzy. hahaha +rep

Nov 13, 2004
Yeah, that's true. (Wow, I can't believe I actually read all that, lol.) I don't know if you came up with those quotes off the top of your head but that's a lot of them.

What I also noticed is that every time Xbox gets a game, it gets praised. But when we get a game on the PS3 which is equal to the Xbox game. It gets looked down upon. Or there is no hype or anything surrounding it. There should be hype surrounded by Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank.

I blame the media. They're the ones that influence people to think like that unconsciencely. Every where you go, you see the writer having something against the PS3. Finding big time writer (that works for IGN, Gamespot, etc.) that isn't biased is rare.

The PS3 is like the PS2 to me (at launch). Except instead of shortages, the PS3 just had another way to gain momentum in mind. Its price was a big factor. Games don't really matter much when you get a new system. There aren't that many games to start out with no doubt. Having Resistance as a launch title was people getting lucky when they first got their system.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
I came up with all of them off the top of my head, and mainly because I thought they were just as ridiculous then as they are now. Thing is, when people were saying them, we couldn't really prove them wrong. Not that they could prove that tripe correct, but it helped that fallacious mindset that goes something like "If you can't prove me wrong then I must be correct!"

They're eating crow now, and I think it's hilarious. Remember GTHD?

"The game won't look that good! There's only one car on the track!"

Enter GT5P with 16 cars @ 1080p and what do you hear?

...look at that tree! :lol:

See what I mean? The folks with the dumb agendas to push are all a bunch of comedians, they just don't know it yet. By the time this video game generation is in it's 4th or so year, trolls won't much a voice, as the rest of us will be far too satisfied with our content, features, and line-ups to give a crap. Thats speaking on behalf of all three crowds by the way...as there's no such thing as good troll in my eyes.

Dorfdad

Super Elite
Sep 8, 2005
The only thing standing in the way right now is the price point still.. The PS3 in its basic form the 40 gig is still 399.99 compared to the $247.00 XBOX 360.

Microsoft has garnered some serious support and developers jumped on board in 2007 seeing the sales numbers. So for the next 2 years the 360 will have some great games coming out which have been in development now for some time..

Now I do feel myself PS3 is the year we will see if it can become dominate again. There are some great PS3 titles en-route but with Microsoft a price drop to 200.00 is coming this year and I expect the premium to be 250.00 this year as well sometime.

Microsoft will use the Price point to counter anything Sony does, as Microsoft is now I believe making money on each 360.. I could be wrong on that but I think they do now..

terminator12259

Dedicated Member
Sep 11, 2007
the ps3 domination begins in 2008. and at dorfdad the 360's base price it cheaper but if u want the same features, such as wireless and hi-def player, ps3 then it costs more.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Enter GT5P with 16 cars @ 1080p and what do you hear?

...look at that tree! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I honestly still think GT5's trees aren't up to snuff.

They're using the same models from the PS2.

But everything else is pretty awesome.

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
Microsoft will use the Price point to counter anything Sony does, as Microsoft is now I believe making money on each 360.. I could be wrong on that but I think they do now..
So far I think they are still behind, they have said on record that it's still not at the price point they wanted on manufacturing. just looking at the finacial reports pretty much says it all, the last quarter they only made about $170M after getting $300M off Halo 3. The other thing is that they aren't so keen on price drops since they are still paying the debt off of the original Xbox and 360 launch, price drops will be only done when absolutely necessary .

oas

Superior Member
Aug 4, 2006
With the PS3 its always good stuff on the horizon, but there are never any good stuff at its location.

Gruul

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2007
[QUOTE="oas, post: 0]With the PS3 its always good stuff on the horizon, but there are never any good stuff at its location.[/quote]
Yup.

I just wish people would wait for the stuff to come out before they hype them before belief. For all we know we could have a bunch of Lairs in our hands. The "our console is the best because it has games coming out that seem to be good" stuff is getting old. Until it delivers its just best to shut up. The first year should've taught people this.

To.Ken

Superior Member
Sep 6, 2007
[QUOTE="oas, post: 0]With the PS3 its always good stuff on the horizon, but there are never any good stuff at its location.[/quote]

Maybe not at your location but I've got Resistance, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted and Motorstorm at my location. All pretty good stuff IMHO.

luis123

Apprentice
Apr 5, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Heh heh...that blog entry really made me chuckle. Before anyone assumes, this isn't the insecure raving and ranting of an individual with something to prove, but rather the calculated retaliation against a fool up against the ropes. A bitter, embattled, beaten fool who's come out swinging in a flurry of reckless punches as a last hurrah.

Now, I'll admit, 2007 wasn't that great to start out. We had Resistance in the beginning, Motorstorm a little later, and that was about it for a while. Noted and accepted.

Sales and reviews are a very weak argument. Remember, this isn't about insecurity folks, so I won't go there.

Anyway, let's take another look back. In the beginning, and for a while afterwards, we were bombarded with trolls, negative press, rotten blog posts, and a slew of armageddon declarations thrown in Sony's direction. Thing was, at the time, a lot of what was being said held a fair degree of water. We didn't have games...sales weren't spectacular(compared to the Wii, anyway), prices were high, we lost some 3rd party exclusives, we had no rumble, our PSN SUCKED from a content standpoint, and we didn't really know what was in the pipeline.

On top of all of that, we heard a lot, and I mean TONS of unsubstantiated bullcrap tossed left, right, and center.

"There's no games!"

If anyone can think of anymore, please, be my guest, some of the things that have been said were pure comedy. We could practically make a thread collecting these priceless gems.

Fast forward to now...how often do we hear stuff like this anymore? :crickets: I rest my case...

With each announcement Sony made though, we'd see less and less of this tripe. Why? People were impressed and pleased with the offerings made, that's why. I remember hearing less FUD after the LBP and Home announcements. Less FUD after the Ratchet reveal. Less FUD after the Killzone reveal...GT5P, Infamous, The Agency, PSP connectivity, MGS5, PSEye, UT3, FFXIII, Motorstorm 2... take your pick ladies and gentlemen, but my point is, that as time passed, and things were put in the pipeline that people were looking forward to, suddenly this "Sony sucks" bandwagon began to fall by the wayside.

Let's not forget about our lineup becoming more robust throughout the year. Let's not forget about the plethora of trailers, demos, and features that have come with each passing firmware and PSN update. The momentum is definitely shifting for the PS3, and everyone, whether they like the thing or not, is taking notice.

What does all of this really mean? Basically that these doom and gloom stories are all grasping at straws if they're showing up now. This "Sony fails in 2007" one in particular, because what's the topic about? The past...:?...that's right, the past. Apparently, the future doesn't exist anymore for Sony. Home isn't coming out anymore, no more free online gaming, no more MGS4, Killzone 2, and the rest of the heavy hitters of next year, none of that. They've dropped their packs and quit. That's when we know that the trolls and naysayers are truly running out of things to say, folks. Had it been a simple synopsis it would be a different story, but failure was declared...Dreamcast comparisons were brought up, and exiting the territory is seemingly the most likely course of action.

I say all of this because there seems to be a lot of bitterness surrounding this sort of thing even now. Like I said, when people have to pull up the irrelevant past(much like how trolls used to try and use the PS2 launch as ammo to attack the PS3 launch:lol:), then you know they've run out of relevant, pertinent points to make. What does any of this have to do with right now and the future? Sales are continuously picking up, features are steadily being worked on and sent to the community, the Store becomes more and more robust with each passing week, online gaming is only growing and consistently remaining as stable as it always has been(sans CoD4 atm :lol:), and we've got several diverse, high profile titles in the pipeline.

I'm just hoping that with this everyone can see how laughable these smear campaigns are, particularly when they have to resort to stuff like this. To put this into perspective, using this logic would have said that Gilbert Arenas never would have become the franchise player of the Wizards. Tom Brady(I believe a 6th round pick) should have quit before he won 3 Super Bowls(I hate the Patriots btw).

A rocky start that continues to be rocky is one thing...but I think we can all agree that the rocky days are behind us, so anymore allusions to the past = moot point. The future is looking quite grand, and there isn't much I can think of that can stand in the way of it. Cheers folks, get ready to ring in the new year with a bang, as this sort of thing makes it all the sweeter if you ask me.[/quote]
True to that I completely agree 2008+ is ours

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I honestly still think GT5's trees aren't up to snuff.

But everything else is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
I agree, and personally I think there's more they could work on than that, but my point was that the trolls run out of so much to say that they eventually begin to grasp at straws.

Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Heh heh...that blog entry really made me chuckle. Before anyone assumes, this isn't the insecure raving and ranting of an individual with something to prove, but rather the calculated retaliation against a fool up against the ropes. A bitter, embattled, beaten fool who's come out swinging in a flurry of reckless punches as a last hurrah.

"There's no games!"

A rocky start that continues to be rocky is one thing...but I think we can all agree that the rocky days are behind us, so anymore allusions to the past = moot point. The future is looking quite grand, and there isn't much I can think of that can stand in the way of it. Cheers folks, get ready to ring in the new year with a bang, as this sort of thing makes it all the sweeter if you ask me.[/quote]
Great post, especially the whole armageddon thing, it was like they were all waiting for the moment when Sony would fold up shop and admit defeat.

Vampirtc

Super Elite
Jan 24, 2006
Depends what you have in mind with successful. Comparing to PS2 I doubt PS3 is or will be labeled as successful. PS3 is already out for a year and has yet to show any signs in following PS2 success. Its being dominated iby Wii in Japan and Xbox 360 in US. Many praised/hyped/1st party games have already been released and its price has been cut again and again. Yet sales are not near what you would expect.
I think at some point Sony fans should accept that Sony lost a lot of its last generation market share and that competition isn't going anywhere.

Smog282

Super Elite
Aug 9, 2007
Playstation 3 is the only system with major games announced (well, with more than one announced) and there are more Huge exclusive games than ever before. MGS4, Killzone 2, SOCOM 4, Resistance 2, God of War 3, FFXIII, and Little Big Planet. lets not forget Home. 360 has Halo Wars and Ninja Gaiden. no idea what the wii has. looks like Sony is poised to pwn '08

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Vampirtc, post: 0]Depends what you have in mind with successful. Comparing to PS2 I doubt PS3 is or will be labeled as successful. PS3 is already out for a year and has yet to show any signs in following PS2 success. Its being dominated iby Wii in Japan and Xbox 360 in US. Many praised/hyped/1st party games have already been released and its price has been cut again and again. Yet sales are not near what you would expect.
I think at some point Sony fans should accept that Sony lost a lot of its last generation market share and that competition isn't going anywhere.[/QUOTE]
Nobody said the competition was going anywhere. As a Sony fan myself, sure, I think the market share will be a bit more evenly distributed this time around...but that doesn't mean Sony isn't successful. Not reaching the staggering sales of it's predecessors doesn't equate to defeat or failure. Not in the least.

Besides, I'm not particularly talking about the business side of things, but rather what's to benefit us gamers within the community.

As far as being dominated goes, what do you expect will happen when the PS3 and the Wii are both sitting pretty at $125.00? I'm not suggesting anything..that's a serious inquiry.

Anyway, my point was that failure is a ludicrous argument when improvements have been made and continue to be made. The outlook is very positive. Maybe not PS2 positive, but I don't need that.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
Before I say anything, I would like to point out that that was a very interesting and enjoyable read. I will rep you, and nominate you for member of the week, as well as thread of the week for thread obviously. :)
--

"There's no games!"

You forgot these:

"teh PS3 is teh sux0rz zomg"

" STFU noob xboxz 360 gots teh bettur games"

"J0o are teh suxo0rz"
:lol:

What does all of this really mean? Basically that these doom and gloom stories are all grasping at straws if they're showing up now. This "Sony fails in 2007" one in particular, because what's the topic about? The past...:???:...that's right, the past. Apparently, the future doesn't exist anymore for Sony. Home isn't coming out anymore, no more free online gaming, no more MGS4, Killzone 2, and the rest of the heavy hitters of next year, none of that. They've dropped their packs and quit. That's when we know that the trolls and naysayers are truly running out of things to say, folks. Had it been a simple synopsis it would be a different story, but failure was declared...Dreamcast comparisons were brought up, and exiting the territory is seemingly the most likely course of action.
Seroiusly, the Dreamcast comparisons have to stop, lol. I still hear people comparing the two, and I think that it is stupid. Anyways, I agree with everything that you wrote. It seems as if people were forgetting that the PS3 actually have a future, and that the XBox360 didn't really have the greatest games during their launch [in my opinion], so it's unfair to do that to the PS3. Now, people are slowly (but surely) realizing that Sony is improving with every aspect of the system, and that it is only going to be better within the immediate future.

I would also like to state tha the PS3 from now on will be better than the XBox360 (at least until the library of PS3 games catch up to the 360s). I mean, Aside from Ninja Gaiden 2 and Halo Wars and Gears of War 2, I can't think of anyother XBox360 games (that were announced) that are releasing in the future. Same thing for the Wii.

Ziggarat

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
No one, and I mean not a living soul, buys a current gen console without considering the potential and future of the console. I say current gen, because people obviously buy previous gen consoles knowing full well there probably won't be any new developments with the console ever again. But with current gen consoles, there are established games which do sell the console, and games that have yet to come. Even with established games, there's only the potential for a truly satisfying and entertaining experience to look forward to because until a person goes out, buys a console, gets the game, sits down and finally plays it- until all of that, no one can be 100% sure if a review is hyped, biased, or accurate.

The PS3 has the greatest potential of all the consoles. It's all any PS3 owner can really say to the other fanboys. We've got a console that uses higher capacity media as a standard for it's games and one day, that extra space will be used to do something games on DVD can't. We've got Cell, a powerful processor, and eventually there will be games that not only look beautiful, but are entirely interactive and realistic physics. They're coming, just you wait and see- it's the only argument PS3 owners have.

I'll say this, I love my PS3 more for what it can do than what it currently does. But the games that will come out can easily disappoint because there's so much emphasis placed on them. I look most forward to the original IPs, the games no one expected but will be looked upon as one of the best one day. So what if the PS3 is behind the Xbox 360 or the Wii in sales? If the PS3 is selling well, it's enough. If the developers have pledged a good game to my console, it's enough. Did anyone buy a PS2 because it was the "best" console last gen? Did anyone NOT buy a Gamecube because no one else was buying it? I doubt what anyone else was doing had anything to do with what console they bought. The reason I got my PS3 is because it has the games I'll want to play. But suppose the 360 gets those games too? Well, that's fine, but while all the prophets out there predict the PS3's end, I see a future for the PS3- one that takes advantage of last gen's titles and developers, and brings the PS2 owners back into Sony's corner. The developers responsible for the best games on the PS2 haven't abandoned the PS3 and it's funny that people seem to forget that.

Sony's got a good console. I think it's the best on the market. And whether everyone agrees with me or not isn't worth my time. I expect great things from Sony and those high expectations seem to be universal. I think it was Cameron who said to Foreman- You'll never get everything right, but you'll never get everything wrong. Sony's got the whole world baring down on it's shoulders, but there's bound to be greatness from all this.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Blu-Ray, post: 0]Before I say anything, I would like to point out that that was a very interesting and enjoyable read. I will rep you, and nominate you for member of the week, as well as thread of the week for thread obviously. :)
--

You forgot these:

"teh PS3 is teh sux0rz zomg"

" STFU noob xboxz 360 gots teh bettur games"

"J0o are teh suxo0rz"
:lol:

Seroiusly, the Dreamcast comparisons have to stop, lol. I still hear people comparing the two, and I think that it is stupid. Anyways, I agree with everything that you wrote. It seems as if people were forgetting that the PS3 actually have a future, and that the XBox360 didn't really have the greatest games during their launch [in my opinion], so it's unfair to do that to the PS3. Now, people are slowly (but surely) realizing that Sony is improving with every aspect of the system, and that it is only going to be better within the immediate future.

I would also like to state tha the PS3 from now on will be better than the XBox360 (at least until the library of PS3 games catch up to the 360s). I mean, Aside from Ninja Gaiden 2 and Halo Wars and Gears of War 2, I can't think of anyother XBox360 games (that were announced) that are releasing in the future. Same thing for the Wii.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. When improvements are being made...the past doesn't mean more than just that...the past. You can't attribute that to someone or something unless it continues to be that way, and in this case, that isn't the case. We're on the rise, and since there's little to say now, might as well dig up the same tired arguments from yesteryear, right? Wrong.

I really do find it all funnier and funnier as the weeks go by though. The smart trolls have already up and left. Anyone else notice that? The ones who were in it just for a quick laugh or two(as stupid as it still was) cut their losses and quit. They got what they wanted(aggravate some Sony fans), had enough common sense to realize that a momentum shift would take place invalidating their foolishness, and just went on about their business.

The ones that are a real laugh riot are the persistent, obsessive trolls that refuse to stop perpetuating the BS. It's all good though, because like I said, they become more and more incorrect as the weeks go by. Eventually, when we're all enjoying our games and massive libraries(and I mean all three crowds here), these sort of character are gonna receive the most epic burns imaginable when they try to spew forth their tripe again.

It's the persistent ones that haven't learned, and they're the ones that are gonna get it hard. Their foolish arguments will completely cease to fool and affect ANYONE, and then EVERYONE will rally against them. I'll stand by on the sidelines LMAO while I decide whether I should pick up a contemporary classic or wait a week or two for an upcoming blockbuster.

We've got a bright future indeed, and watching some clowns make fools of themselves is icing on the cake.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I honestly still think GT5's trees aren't up to snuff.

But everything else is pretty awesome.[/quote]

You actually paid attention to the tree's? Aren't they a healthy distance away from the tracks the have shown in GT5 prologue? Why would you want to scrutinize the game that much?

Nov 6, 2005
NA
ths was a good post...and again i am sorry for posting that tripe...but i had to...because i thought it was more bs than anything i seen latley...out of all the things that happened this year...i would ahve to say...

The Cell wasn't built for games
EA:
Football is an extremely challenging sport to replicate because of the number of people on the field, their interaction, and the scope of the environments. As you can see, every company making a football game this year made a decision that the best experience for the Xbox 360 included 60fps whereas the best experience for the PS3 was 30fps.
Ubi:
First, they say that Conviction being exclusive allows them to accomplish things on the 360 that couldn't be done if the title was multiplatform. They even go so far to say that if the title was a PS3 exclusive, they still would not be able to achieve some of these feats. Ouch ... coming from a well respected developer like Ubisoft, that's gotta hurt.
these pissed me off the most...and guess what happened...the truth was revealed...and we all noted in all these cases...that the cell was not used properly...

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]You actually paid attention to the tree's? Aren't they a healthy distance away from the tracks the have shown in GT5 prologue? Why would you want to scrutinize the game that much?[/QUOTE]

The reason I scrutinize it so much is because I love the GT series and I want GT5 to be nothing short of pure amazingness. The fact that they're still using PS2 assets annoys me a little bit. You have these amazingly rendered cars, but the trees look like paper.

Granted....if you keep your eyes set on the track the whole race then the trees look photorealistic, but this is a series that is known for one-upping eveyone in terms of graphics so you'll want to check out the scenery.

And another thing.....I'm sorry I have to make a noobish game list (sorry PXG S3), but I don't think people know exactly what the 360 has in store next year:

Ninja Gaiden II
Banjo & Kazooie 3
Fable II
Project Offset
Halo Wars
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Alan Wake

Now bear in mind....that still doesn't quite compare to the PS3's 2008 line-up, but if you add that to the 360's already healthy library.....I think it's safe to say the 360 will still be around.

The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :(

TH3 GAM3

The King Of Kings
Oct 1, 2007
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]The reason I scrutinize it so much is because I love the GT series and I want GT5 to be nothing short of pure amazingness. The fact that they're still using PS2 assets annoys me a little bit. You have these amazingly rendered cars, but the trees look like paper.

Granted....if you keep your eyes set on the track the whole race then the trees look photorealistic, but this is a series that is known for one-upping eveyone in terms of graphics so you'll want to check out the scenery.

And another thing.....I'm sorry I have to make a noobish game list (sorry PXG S3), but I don't think people know exactly what the 360 has in store next year:

Ninja Gaiden II
Banjo & Kazooie 3
Fable II
Project Offset
Halo Wars
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Alan Wake

Now bear in mind....that still doesn't quite compare to the PS3's 2008 line-up, but if you add that to the 360's already healthy library.....I think it's safe to say the 360 will still be around.

The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :([/quote]
The PS3 is the only console to have a good looking 2008 & 2009 gaming lineup.

XxScarfacexX

Dedicated Member
Jul 10, 2005
[QUOTE="TH3 GAM3, post: 0]The PS3 is the only console to have a good looking 2008 & 2009 gaming lineup.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The Xbox 360 has a decent (very good actually) 2008 lineup. 2009 going to be very good, too, because of games like Gears of War 2, etc.

Nov 10, 2006
I think that any console with MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, a new Jak and Daxter game, Team Ico game, LittleBigPlanet, FFXIII(possibly,) White Knight Story, GT5 and many other games is going to do some serious business.

I doubt PS3 will outsell the Wii worldwide, but my guess is that it will outsell the 360 worldwide in the last half of 2008 or even possibly the whole year, but not in the US.

Edit: I know even if the PS3 doesn't start catching up, I won't even care at all. I can't wait to play all these games.

T

TzarChasm

Thank you for being literate. It's kind of nice to be able to read a long post without having to recoil in horror at a torrent of grammatical atrocities. It goes a long way with some of us.

I happen to agree with your points, as well.

king05

Apprentice
Aug 18, 2007
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]The reason I scrutinize it so much is because I love the GT series and I want GT5 to be nothing short of pure amazingness. The fact that they're still using PS2 assets annoys me a little bit. You have these amazingly rendered cars, but the trees look like paper.

Ninja Gaiden II
Banjo & Kazooie 3
Fable II
Project Offset
Halo Wars
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Alan Wake

The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :([/quote]
Lost odyssey has already been trashed by people who have played it hands on, IGN called it a ps2 type game. Too Human also isn't expected to do much either. Cross those 2 off the list.

Revenger92

Superior Member
Dec 3, 2007

"There's no games!"

A rocky start that continues to be rocky is one thing...but I think we can all agree that the rocky days are behind us, so anymore allusions to the past = moot point. The future is looking quite grand, and there isn't much I can think of that can stand in the way of it. Cheers folks, get ready to ring in the new year with a bang, as this sort of thing makes it all the sweeter if you ask me.[/quote] Made me feel good about owning a PS3(even though i have 360 as well)! Its a good post for the 360 fanboys too read and get jeleaous hehe!

B

bigjonny

people have been saying that sony is going to dominate the market since it first came out...first it was sony is going to take over the market in 06..then it was 07...now people are saying the same thing about next year...ill believe it when i see it.