The PS3 is poised for a successful 2008: What's looking good for us on the horizon

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="bigjonny, post: 0]people have been saying that sony is going to dominate the market since it first came out...first it was sony is going to take over the market in 06..then it was 07...now people are saying the same thing about next year...ill believe it when i see it.[/QUOTE]
Nowhere did I say a thing about dominating squat. In fact, I tried to lean away from perpetuating the whole "war" idea this generation. I was simply stating that the FUD continues to be disproven and/or become less relevant, and that '08 is looking good for us gamers.

Competition is of no consequence to good old fashioned fun. I have no idea where you got that from...

Oct 20, 2006
When Gran Turismo 5 will be out, XBOX360's racing games will be a case of bye bye.

Gran Turismo 5 will show what's the difference between PS3 and X360.

Dr.Drake

Superior Member
Aug 28, 2007
Bravo on your articuality and good spelling. It's nice to see a well-formatted sentence, it's great to see dozens of them. I agree completely.

Naboomagnoli

Master Poster
Dec 17, 2005
[QUOTE="Dr.Drake, post: 0]Bravo on your articuality and good spelling. It's nice to see a well-formatted sentence, it's great to see dozens of them. I agree completely.[/QUOTE]

'Articulacy' :p

I'm looking to indulge my rekindled interest in gaming by getting a PS3 this Xmas; it's pieces like this (and the equivalents for the other consoles) that really help for those of us who have fallen out of the loop by simply not caring about next-gen consoles for a while. I've been seriously tempted by the other options - if I felt the Wii would definitely still offer me the cinematic, more serious experience I often want from gaming over the next 5 years I would have picked one up already. At the other end of the spectrum, I have an X360 loaned from a friend's shop under my desk right now, but even knowing that Alan Wake is still to come on that system I can't help but feel disinterested by just how unsubtle, generic, sci-fi and western the games line-up seems (to me). I can't get myself to like Halo 3 at all - however much people celebrate the 360 pad as better than the Dual Shock, it's still not a patch on KB/Mouse. I recall a review saying that Medal of Honor on the Wii had top notch controls if you took the time to tweak them to your own ideal settings - here's hoping that, once the MS and Sony descendants of the Wiimote inevitably take form, the sofa becomes as accurate a position to shoot Nazis from as the desk.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed exclusively at the moment, and it's a crying shame that they couldn't put more variety into the investigation gameplay because I simply can't get tired of the wonderful combat.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]The reason I scrutinize it so much is because I love the GT series and I want GT5 to be nothing short of pure amazingness. The fact that they're still using PS2 assets annoys me a little bit. You have these amazingly rendered cars, but the trees look like paper.

Granted....if you keep your eyes set on the track the whole race then the trees look photorealistic, but this is a series that is known for one-upping eveyone in terms of graphics so you'll want to check out the scenery.

And another thing.....I'm sorry I have to make a noobish game list (sorry PXG S3), but I don't think people know exactly what the 360 has in store next year:

Ninja Gaiden II
Banjo & Kazooie 3
Fable II
Project Offset
Halo Wars
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Alan Wake

Now bear in mind....that still doesn't quite compare to the PS3's 2008 line-up, but if you add that to the 360's already healthy library.....I think it's safe to say the 360 will still be around.

The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :([/quote]

Ohh yea! I am personally wating for conviction, wake, and offset . I would like to hear more about fable, NG 2 and too human. The rest of the list doesn't interest me. After getting an eyefull of odessys gameplay I am taking a pass on that one.

Sep 2, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]The reason I scrutinize it so much is because I love the GT series and I want GT5 to be nothing short of pure amazingness. The fact that they're still using PS2 assets annoys me a little bit. You have these amazingly rendered cars, but the trees look like paper.

Granted....if you keep your eyes set on the track the whole race then the trees look photorealistic, but this is a series that is known for one-upping eveyone in terms of graphics so you'll want to check out the scenery.

And another thing.....I'm sorry I have to make a noobish game list (sorry PXG S3), but I don't think people know exactly what the 360 has in store next year:

Ninja Gaiden II
Banjo & Kazooie 3
Fable II
Project Offset
Halo Wars
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Alan Wake

Now bear in mind....that still doesn't quite compare to the PS3's 2008 line-up, but if you add that to the 360's already healthy library.....I think it's safe to say the 360 will still be around.

The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :([/quote]

Hehe. Its all good. Don't worry about it. :lol:

[QUOTE="TH3 GAM3, post: 0]The PS3 is the only console to have a good looking 2008 & 2009 gaming lineup.[/quote]

False. All three consoles have good games coming out next year. Good games are not exclusive to one console. People need to shake that notion out of their skulls.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
PS3 has an amazing line up for 2008. 360 has already put out its big games and really has pretty much nothing for 08 as far as big AAA exclusives go.

XxScarfacexX

Dedicated Member
Jul 10, 2005
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 2248051]PS3 has an amazing line up for 2008. 360 has already put out its big games and really has pretty much nothing for 08 as far as big AAA exclusives go.[/QUOTE]

I think it does. It may not be like 2007, but the Xbox 360 doesn't need a lot of big AAA exclusives for 2008 since its 2007 lineup was so great. Games like Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Alan Wake, Too Human, and possibly Banjo-Kazooie 3 is good.

-=*7*=-

XxScarfacexX[/URL]
Nothing special about any of those games coming out for 360 in 2008. The multi-platform games are now leading on the PS3, so games like Dirt (anything using the Neon Engine, including Operation Flashpoint2, etc) Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry 4 (which even 1UP says looks way better than Ninja Gaiden 2 and they say the PS3 version of the DMC4 is better.) and I could go on and on with the multi-platform games alone. As for true platform exclusives, the Xbox 360 doesn't have jack, that can compare with the likes of MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, WarDevil, GT-5, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, White Knight Story, Resistance 2, Heavy Rain, Coded Arms Assault, 8 Days, The Getaway PS3, Kingdom Hearts PS3, and that's not the complete list and isn't including HAZE as a Platform timed exclusive!

2007 May have been claimed the year of Wii and certainly the Xbox 360 had the games in shear numbers alone. But this thread is about the PS3 doing in it's second year what the PS2 and the PS1 have done before it. Hit the market with more class triple A titles than both the competitors combined. I know you don't see it that way, but whole rest of the world will know it!!! ;)

B

Bust Nak

Objection!

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The Cell wasn't built for games - it's general purpose, and hard to program.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

Network is devoid of features compared to xbl, not that I am complaining about this one since the only thing I care is free online play.

Nov 6, 2005
NA
[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0]Objection!

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

Network is devoid of features compared to xbl, not that I am complaining about this one since the only thing I care is free online play.[/quote]

how about this...since you want to be ignorant...how about show some links to your claim...because from what i know...cell is good for eror handling when programming...it might take longer to do because you have to input when to use and not use the spu's...but as i said before it reduces the error handeling...and so far from what i know the cell+rsx is better than what the 360 can output...look at uncharted...it does not even use 2/3 of the cell+rsx power...and look at the outcome...and don't let me even mention R&C...

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

Network is devoid of features compared to xbl, not that I am complaining about this one since the only thing I care is free online play.[/quote]

Objection!

9MB/sec may be slow but it's not much worse than what 360 is doing (8-12MB/s).

Cell wasn't built directly for games but it does a fine job are running them, just like how the Pentium 3 was designed to do Business apps but was one of the best gaming CPU's around for it's era. Also Cell would be considered less general purpose than most processors, it is much more specialized in it's functionality and speed.

RSX is not much weaker than Xenos, compared to Pc GPU's it is weak but compared to 360 the difference is next to nothing. (a few percent in most areas).

Network is devoid of features slightly but like you said, you can't beat free. ;)

TH3 GAM3

The King Of Kings
Oct 1, 2007

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

The games speak for its self.
The RSX is a weak GPU. (Little sentence correction)
That comment should go on the list of dumb things in 2007.

Sep 26, 2006
[QUOTE="TH3 GAM3, post: 0]The games speak for its self.
The RSX is a weak GPU. (Little sentence correction)
That comment should go on the list of dumb things in 2007.

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

[/quote] [/quote]

Haha, seriously how can people still manage to take swipes at the hardware. It have been proven by now that the PS3 is good at teh graphics. :lol:

Network is devoid of features compared to xbl, not that I am complaining about this one since the only thing I care is free online play.
There is enough functionality for those of us, who, ya know have other things to do besides playing games. It is chugging behind, but more stuff is on the way though.

And your going to have to ask EPIC, why we get UT3 as a timed exclusive with full mod capability. Wait does Microshaft allow mods? Hmm... .

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

I guess you haven't played Uncharted with it's almost non-existant framerate issues (what game DOESNT have one now and then on ANY system?). Awesome graphics and load times that don't annoy you?

Not that I'm advocating the game and claiming it to be the gift from god fanboys claim it as., just saying it proves you wrong.

M

MEMEROOT

I fail to see how any of those comments are outright refuted as of now, I can see that in 2008 things will change but in sumary

"Blu-Ray will have horrible read speeds, load times will be atrocious!"
well load times are longer, though this is reduced by replication

"Developers don't want, need, and will never use the space on BD!"
this was never realy true, FF will undoubtably use it for CGI, more importantly however see above.

"The Cell wasn't built for games!"
Nope it was built for graphics but wasn't good enough to compete directly hence the RSX

"Your install base will never be profitable!"
not at the present rate of growth or losses....

"The RSX was a tacked on, weak GPU!"
Given it came out a year after the 360 and is considered weaker than that shouldn't you expect more?

"You'll NEVER get rumble back!"
You havent yet

"Your mutliplatform titles will always be inferior!"
Most of them still are, in some cases they are begining to reach parity

"Your network is devoid of features!"
it is

"Your network will cost money someday!"
Fair enough

"Your online games will all be a laggy mess!"
Warhawk

"There's no games!"
name one exclusive with 90% + on gamesrankings.

I accept that 2008 much of this will change but as of now, sorry PS3 is still far behind where we all wanted it so much to be.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0]Objection![/quote]

Overruled, Mr. Gambini....

[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0] Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow. [/quote] Compared to what? The fluctuating read speeds of another console? :lol: ok... I won't try to pitch a fanboy rant and say that it's fast...but I will say that it's adequate, particularly when we can cache from the HDD.

[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0] The Cell wasn't built for games - it's general purpose, and hard to program. [/quote]

Semantics...you could say that about any processor. It's doing an admirable job though, so this point = moot.

[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0]The RSX IS weak GPU. [/quote]

Games released now and on the horizon would suggest otherwise.

[QUOTE="Bust Nak, post: 0] Network is devoid of features compared to xbl, not that I am complaining about this one since the only thing I care is free online play.[/quote]

Indeed it is...but it's getting better, and we all know that.

Like I said...all of that tripe that was spouted before holds no water.

DayWalker

The Heisman
May 9, 2006
[QUOTE="MEMEROOT, post: 0]I fail to see how any of those comments are outright refuted as of now, I can see that in 2008 things will change but in sumary

"Blu-Ray will have horrible read speeds, load times will be atrocious!"
well load times are longer, though this is reduced by replication

"Developers don't want, need, and will never use the space on BD!"
this was never realy true, FF will undoubtably use it for CGI, more importantly however see above.

"The Cell wasn't built for games!"
Nope it was built for graphics but wasn't good enough to compete directly hence the RSX

"Your install base will never be profitable!"
not at the present rate of growth or losses....

"The RSX was a tacked on, weak GPU!"
Given it came out a year after the 360 and is considered weaker than that shouldn't you expect more?

"You'll NEVER get rumble back!"
You havent yet

"Your mutliplatform titles will always be inferior!"
Most of them still are, in some cases they are begining to reach parity

"Your network is devoid of features!"
it is

"Your network will cost money someday!"
Fair enough

"Your online games will all be a laggy mess!"
Warhawk

"There's no games!"
name one exclusive with 90% + on gamesrankings.

I accept that 2008 much of this will change but as of now, sorry PS3 is still far behind where we all wanted it so much to be.[/QUOTE]

pretty good point to point...

but Warhawk runs fine... not sure what you're talking about there :?

A

arthur56k

both systems are going to be fine, we are all to opinionated to go on and give whichever side we dont like a great mention, happened this year, will happen next year, if you get both systems like i plan to, youll be fine

-=*7*=-

Blu-ray's 9MB/s IS slow.

The RSX IS weak GPU.

Wrong on all three counts!

My version of Myth Busters!!!

These are the facts in respect to read speed and it does vary depending 1x ratio of speed. Find tables here! Ref:
http://www.emedialive.com/articles/readarticle.aspx?articleid=11632

"Which is Faster? BluRay or DVD?"
http://www.ps3blog.net/2007/05/30/which-is-faster-blu-ray-or-dvd/

The read speed difference between HD-DVD and BluRay are almost the same within a few kb of each other at 1X read speed. HD-DVD 4.36 mgs/s and Bluray 4.29 mgs/s! ...or Xbox 360 only reads the majority of discs (as most or dual layer) at 8x speeds which is equivalent to 1.2 times BD or HD-DVD equivalent of 2x. The difference is not that great, by any means and we are talking in the milliseconds!!! So what difference does anything under a second matter anyway? It only matters to fools trying to 1up each other in this ridiculous set of arguments made to keep people like you confused on the truth!

Next "The Cell wasn't built for games..."???
....it wasn't? I suppose the "Emotion Engine" wasn't built for games either. Who do you think the Cell chip was originally thought up by? ...or do you know? It wasn't a whole group of people all at once. It was the brainchild of one "Ken Kutaragi"!

So what do you think? ...you don't think he was thinking of the Playstation Game Console, when the idea occurred to him? What do you think he was thinking of, if it wasn't for gaming? ....."oh gee the Cell processor would make a great science processor for Mercury Computers or server setup for IBM. Why don't I just tell them and then we can maybe think of something else for the Playstation 3!"

Yeah Right! ...but then again after all the publicity and notoriety, you might still not know that the Cell is the brainchild of this one man, Ken Kutaragi! NOT IBM, NOT Toshiba, NOT even Sony!

Read this: The lead up to Ken Kutaragi receiving Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" award. On the site it also speaks of Ken's idea of "Cell" processor for PS3!
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,994014,00.html

One of many articles attributing the idea of the Cell BE processor to Ken Kutaragi. ":
http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html

If you need more referrences, let me know. There are links on IBM's website that also attribute the idea to Ken Kutaragi!

***If the Cell BE processor wasn't about gaming, what's this say?
Kutaragi, known for the bold stroke and the grand vision, swung for the fences from the get-go. "We want to do something that has never been done before," he told Davari and a group of IBMers at their first meeting. "Let's work together to change the world." The movie The Matrix had just come out, and Kutaragi relished its premise of a world that is actually a giant computer simulation. "Think about creating a crude version of that world," he said, "where millions of people can play in a realistically rendered virtual Tokyo or New York City as if they are really living there." Creating that magical realm, Kutaragi told the team, would require a chip 1,000 times as powerful as the one in the PlayStation 2. The IBMers tried not to roll their eyes. They tended to like all that Matrix stuff, but when it came to 1,000-fold chip boosts, they thought Kutaragi was out of his mind.
Link:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/06/01/8263444/index.htm

Now for your ridiculous claim that the RSX is WEAK!

Oh my god so you are one of those, after seeing what the Cell/RSX combination is doing in games (like running 8 channel sound, volumetric everything that is only supposed to run on DX10 cards) like "Uncharted" and MGS4 that still believes the RSX "Can't do textures", "isn't capable of Ray Tracing" (like Nvidia 8800's) and that "Sony has already released the specs of the RSX and it's just a 7600 or 7800 chip"!!!

If Sony has Officially released any information on just what the RSX is, then you better find the link to back it up! ....any and everything that's been said about the RSX and it's capabilities is either a bold faced lie or based only in supposition. None of which you can take to the bank with such ignorant statements against the exceptional performance that has been demonstrated lately on the PS3 games, including up and coming Killzone 2, GT-5 (Ray Tracing), Uncharted, MGS4 etc and so on and so forth!

Yes you put up 4 flame baiting points including picking prematurely on Playstation Network!
I could argue that Xbox Live (now celebrating it's 5th year) started it's first year with a whole lot less and with no plans for any virtual world of any kind ever. As you read (if you've taken the time) Ken Kutaragi and Sony have been thinking of a Virtual Gaming World since before the Original Xbox went to market. So I'll just leave it at 3 strikes and your out!

So you need to stop your "trolling" and "flame baiting" right here and now. Put up or shut up any links you may have to support these claims before you get banned!

Jan 17, 2006
Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
People don't you get it? Bust Nak was just being sarcastic, that is all.

And speaking of "using PS2 launch to attack PS3", they even use it to make it seem like there are no problems with 360. Someone claimed that his launch PS2 lasted very short time and his 360 is still working from launch, as a counter argument. And that is pretty laughable.

Whoops, maybe I got little bit off the topic. Anyway, perhaps the media hated PS3 so much because they fear(ed) that the Japanese will take over the world with their electronics, so they tried to downplay it. And of course, many people care only about what what is "NOW", and nobody cares about the future, and nobody cares about the past, because people are so impatient and have only short term memory.

B

Bust Nak

Ah ha! All you counter points are consistence with my statments! It disproves nothing! Look, I picked out those out four out of your big list because there is some element of truth behind them, but don't mind me, I accept I was playing with semantics.

-=*7*=-

[QUOTE="Terminator 101, post: 0]People don't you get it? Bust Nak was just being sarcastic, that is all.

And speaking of "using PS2 launch to attack PS3", they even use it to make it seem like there are no problems with 360. Someone claimed that his launch PS2 lasted very short time and his 360 is still working from launch, as a counter argument. And that is pretty laughable.

Whoops, maybe I got little bit off the topic. Anyway, perhaps the media hated PS3 so much because they fear(ed) that the Japanese will take over the world with their electronics, so they tried to downplay it. And of course, many people care only about what what is "NOW", and nobody cares about the future, and nobody cares about the past, because people are so impatient and have only short term memory.[/quote]

In any body's book, these statements "Bust Nak" made are inflammatory. It doesn't take a "Fired Gamespot Reviewer" to see that, whether or not all he was actually doing was just being sarcastic!

They both lead to flame baiting and the results have shown themselves with the responses he's gotten! I say let's hang him on a yardarm and make an example of him! ! .....let's see some blood on his skivvies. I call for castration at the very least! :DD .......let's keelhaul him!!! ...yar...mates, let him find out what barnicles feel like over raw semantics!!! LOLz

S

Stig

[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I don't think people know exactly what the 360 has in store next year:

Fable II
Alan Wake

Now bear in mind....that still doesn't quite compare to the PS3's 2008 line-up, but if you add that to the 360's already healthy library.....I think it's safe to say the 360 will still be around.[/quote]
These are the only 2 really big games that I care about for the 360 and I can't imagine either of them actually coming out in '08. I would imagine that they will get pushed back into '09.

[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]The Wii however.......all you have is Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. :([/quote]
Wow, you have forgotten the incredibly awesome looking Vanillaware project: Oboro Muramasa Youtouden.

oas

Superior Member
Aug 4, 2006
[QUOTE="To.Ken, post: 2243722]Maybe not at your location but I've got Resistance, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted and Motorstorm at my location. All pretty good stuff IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i see as normal stuff. Good stuff is a good online service as live. I was bored last weekend, went out to check if any new games i missed was out, it was just ratchet and that game is not my taste. So i whent home to psn try getting my friend in a online COD game, but he was allready in the game and to put it short we did not managae to get in the same party. I checkt PSN for new stuff, now not updated in over 3 weeks. Bought Crashbandicoot becuase it where not anything els to buy, got most of the other games. This is not how it was when i had the 360.

But im not bashing the ps3 then i would have sold it along time ago, im on the edge to buying a 360 after the streaming failed with the ps3. But becuase of tekken 6 i need to also keep my ps3 so im not sure what to do really.

M

MEMEROOT

-=*7*=-
As I said many of the issues were moot and would be negated next year. i was not trolling simply pointing out that most of the points made were still valid.

re:blue ray read speed.

just looking at your links
"In HD DVD terms 1x is equivalent to roughly 29.9x CD, 3.3x DVD or 1x BD (see chart)."
which if my maths serves me
2x blueray == 6.6 x dvd or 17.5% slower

as the links you provided satisfy that point I wont go double checking.
Is this realy an issue? nor realy, after all this is one reason every ps3 has a HD.

regarding your Cell remarks, just wierd!!!!!!
Ken certainly didn't design cell. nor are we playing the matrix. Ken also got sacked didn't he?

regardless, the cell is a great chip to have in the PS3, I think it will do some great things however the multi pipe route plied by ATI and Nvida was far more productive in terms of graphics (hence RSX) and homogeneous multi core chips, the route taken by intel and Amd (and IBM for the 360) seems to be the route for CPU's and perhaps in future, graphics also.

regarding the RSX.
550 MHz G70 based GPU on 90 nm process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'
Sony doesn't release full details because it wouldn't help it argue the case against the 360

Does this matter? No of course not it is roughly equivilent to the 360's card and was the best available when the ps3's specs were formulated.

So in sumary, yes the ps3 is great, however it isn't perfect (is anything?)

I'm sure a list of complaints made against the 360 a year ago would still stand as well.