The PS5 Launch

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I thought we could use a thread for discussing the PS5 launch. Instead of derailing other threads, like I did with my own thread about reviews and hands-on, it is probably better to have a dedicated thread about it. I think it would be interesting to hear what the launch situation is like where you live, since it's very different depending on what country you live in.

As I've said before, here where I live (Sweden) some retailers have been taking pre orders since april 2019. None of them seems to know how many units they are going to get. I've e-mailed several retailers and asked about the whole situation and they can't answer because they simply don't know. Not even the people who pre ordered back then is ensured to get a PS5. I pre ordered more than four months before the release (19th here) and my preliminary delivery date says may 3rd 2021 (almost 6 months after release). I pre ordered at two more retailers recently, so hopefully I don't have to wait more than two to three months to get one.

Apparently it's pretty much the same situation for the other nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Finland).

The launch in India has been delayed because of some idiot trying to claim the right to the PS5 trademark.

I heard that quite alot of the latest batch of PS5's in NA got picked up by scalpers. That really sucks. But atleast the people in NA don't have to wait that long for a new batch to arrive.

Please don't buy from scalpers. You are part of the problem if you do that. There wouldn't be a market for them if people didn't buy from them. Unfortunately there are people who are dumb enough and/or lack the patience that buy from them. I've seen prices as high as $2000 on Ebay and there are people who have payed that much. Mind-boggling, imo.

PS5: PlayStation's 'most extraordinary' pandemic launch (BBC)

I really hope that means they are going to focus more on getting units to the rest of the world now, since it's mosly been about the NA market so far. It really isn't fair that we should have to wait several months to get one while NA get several shipments before, during and right after the launch. Here we get one small shipment that covers some of the pre orders before launch and after that it might be several months until we get another batch.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
An update from a couple of retailers in Sweden, that I've been in contact with. Dustin.se says most people who pre ordered will have to wait until 2021 to get their PS5's. Mediamarkt.se says they will not have any units available for direct purchase until earliest march 2021. They are fully booked (with pre orders) until then. And a few other retailers that I have been in contact with don't know at all how many units they will get and when.

That doesn't sound very promising at all. Most of us here in Sweden, that want a PS5 at launch, might have to wait until at least march 2021.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Another Update. This time a positive one for me at least. The retailer I pre ordered at first (four months before release) haven't changed the estimated delivery date, it's still May 2021. But today I got a notification from one of the other retailers I pre ordered at (about a week before release) that said that they had shipped my order. I got a notification two days ago that said that their order from the supplier had been delayed and that they couldn't guarantee that I would get my order at all. Now all of a sudden it is shipped. So in a best case scenario I'm getting it before christmas and in a worst case scenario I'm getting it the week between christmas and new years.

Other than that the situation seems to be the same here in Sweden. Most retailers still doesn't seem to know when they are getting units and how many.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
WTF! My PS5 arrived today. That was way faster than I expected, they must have used some kind of super express service. I'm downloading and installing games (Spider-Man Remastered & Miles Morales) right now. :)