The Real Lead Platform?

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
From Gamasutra:

http://gamasutra.pair.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16611

"We started developing this on the PC on the MT Framework -- the internal Capcom engine. The PS3 specs were not finalized at that stage when we started developing it, so we did start to develop it on the PC.

By developing it on the PC, it's very easy for us to work with the graphics and the gameplay, and see how the game is going to play. Actually, we're still continuing to develop it on the PC, as well as being able to check how it runs on the 360 and the PS3."

The producer went on to discuss exactly how the change, particularly to the Xbox 360, ended up affecting development of the title:

"In terms of any problems or any effect it had in the development of the game, we initially didn't have a schedule for releasing it on two platforms simultaneously, so that did have an affect on the amount of work that we had to do.

Because we developed it on the same engine -- on the MT Framework -- it wasn't double the work that we had to do, but it probably required about 1.5 times the work and 1.5 times the ability in order to be able to get everything done. There were some changes we had to make, and some extra work that we had to put into it."

Finally, with simultaneous development on multiple consoles still relatively rare in Japan, Kobayashi discussed the mindset change inherent in doing things this way round, as opposed to converting a lead SKU at a later date:

"As I mentioned before, it does take probably 1.5 times more work than it did before. One of the things that takes up the most time in developing simultaneously on different platforms is that before, we would develop it just for the PS2, and would check it running on the PS2 and make sure that everything's okay.

Now, even though we have the MT Framework in place, we still have to check the actual game that the customers are going to play and are going to have in their hands, so that means checking and going through not just the PS3 version, but the 360 and the PC versions, making sure that everything looks okay and runs smoothly. That does take a lot of time, and it really increases the amount of work that we have to do.

Having said that, developing it simultaneously for different machines is easier than developing it separately -- developing it for something, and then porting it over onto something else. But it does increase the amount of work that we have to do for the game."

I really don't seem to understand gamers reasoning nowadays. Just like with assassins creed people assumed DMC4 was developed on the PS3 first. As you can see it was really for the PC. This wouldn't be a surprise for anyone who knew about MT framework though.

I really hope that people would stop assuming lead platforms based off of history or initial announcements. Maybe this will also end some bickering and give deeper understanding to the way Capcom seems to be handling things from now on. In every way possible I feel that Capcom is going to try to avoid making exclusives unless their hands are forced.

Shadowstar

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2006
Well... I don't know for sure about everyone, and I don't know how Capcom specifically works, but I think that it's not what most people mean when they say "lead" platform. I think people mean, "focus" platform.

AFAIK, they're not releasing on PC-- why is that? Perhaps because the engine they're using on PC is good enough for development, but not good enough for release. That's not uncommon either-- make an engine on the platform where it's easiest to have everyone develop (because there's lots of code that is going to be straight out multiplatform), but have the real focus be on the release platform.

Jan 24, 2008
San Francisco, CA
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]From Gamasutra:

http://gamasutra.pair.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16611

I really don't seem to understand gamers reasoning nowadays. Just like with assassins creed people assumed DMC4 was developed on the PS3 first. As you can see it was really for the PC. This wouldn't be a surprise for anyone who knew about MT framework though.

I really hope that people would stop assuming lead platforms based off of history or initial announcements. Maybe this will also end some bickering and give deeper understanding to the way Capcom seems to be handling things from now on. In every way possible I feel that Capcom is going to try to avoid making exclusives unless their hands are forced.[/quote]

PS3 is the lead platform for DMC4. End of discussion.

First of all, Maya, Autodesk, etc., don't run on consoles. LOL. They build the tools on PC then develop the game targeting a specific console platform.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="erniezetroc, post: 0]PS3 is the lead platform for DMC4. End of discussion.

First of all, Maya, Autodesk, etc., don't run on consoles. LOL. They build the tools on PC then develop the game targeting a specific console platform.[/quote]

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070131/3dlp.htm

MT framework was made for dead rising and lost planet initially. But because of this program they saw how efficient it was an added PS3 support. Because of MT framework it seems like capcom (not talking about all devs here) is making a game development environment the makes MP seamless and easy to do in conjunction.

Games are developed on PC's but normally they are made to run on Dev kits. This program is made so they can run the game on the PC (simulating specs and environment then they iron out the kinks on the console. I am not sure how many devs are trying this approach but it seems like this might become common for those who favor bringing titles to the 360 and PS3 at the same time.

Kagari

Super Elite
Apr 25, 2007
PS3 is lead SKU for DMC... meaning the version they spent the longest on after moving from the PC base. They've mainly shown the just PS3 version around to the media as well. Same thing happened with AssCreed and the 360, and we all know how the PS3 version of that game turned out :|

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
Well, I have been looking for comments about lead platform's for both of those games an I really didn't find any firm statements. It seems as if gamers and even some of the media makes the assumption because of which console it was annonced for first. Take for instance Assasins creed was announced for PS3 first then less than two weeks later it was announced for the 360 at X'05. It seems more obvious that they were working on making the games for both versions and it is entirely possible they started work on the 360 version first because at that time, and not until many months later, they didn't have the final dev kit from sony.

So what is the real lead platform? I don't think announcements and early footage should be an indicator... wouldn't it be more of a choice?

Nov 6, 2005
NA
most of the games that came out (MP games) end of last year and for early this year were stated on PC's...so this is no surprise...most people made assumptions but nothing was final until capcom announced how they made the game...btw...Cagalli you are right...+rep...

Jan 24, 2008
San Francisco, CA
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 0]Well, I have been looking for comments about lead platform's for both of those games an I really didn't find any firm statements. It seems as if gamers and even some of the media makes the assumption because of which console it was annonced for first. Take for instance Assasins creed was announced for PS3 first then less than two weeks later it was announced for the 360 at X'05. It seems more obvious that they were working on making the games for both versions and it is entirely possible they started work on the 360 version first because at that time, and not until many months later, they didn't have the final dev kit from sony.

So what is the real lead platform? I don't think announcements and early footage should be an indicator... wouldn't it be more of a choice?[/quote]

PS3 was the lead console platform. there you go. there is no effin way DMC was optimized for 360 first.

daggy

Superior Member
Jun 29, 2007
[QUOTE="erniezetroc, post: 0]PS3 was the lead console platform. there you go. there is no effin way DMC was optimized for 360 first.[/quote]
PC was the lead platform on the development for DMC4. Capcom is has been doing this with several of their games recently like DMC4 and Bionic Commando, because they consider it's cheaper to develop for PC and port it to consoles.

Jan 24, 2008
San Francisco, CA
[QUOTE="daggy, post: 0]PC was the lead platform on the development for DMC4. Capcom is has been doing this with several of their games recently like DMC4 and Bionic Commando, because they consider it's cheaper to develop for PC and port it to consoles.[/quote]

Ok i won't be as annoyed because you're a PC guy first (xbot second?) judging by your posts and your admiration for planetscape. ;)

Moebius

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2006
this is more of a chicken and egg argument ...

didn't DMC4 release on PC a few months after the console release dates ?
and wouldn't all games then technically be considered PC then ?