The Theory behind discontinuing 60GB PS3 & flooding the market with 80GB PS3 !!!

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
K guys. I don't know how many of you will agree with me but this is one of the smartest move by Sony to grab the Market Leader position as soon as possible. This is what they will be doing -

You know how most of the laptops come with an 80GB hard drive now. If not right now as 120 and 160's are out but at least in 2006 most of the laptops came out with 80GB hard drive. The production cost of the 80GB hard drive has got to be cheaper than the 60GB version.

As Sony is trying to cut the cost of production of PlayStation 3, i am sure it will cost them less to make a PS3 with an 80GB hard drive instead of the 60GB. Cutting off the production cost will allow Sony to do a price drop on the PS3 as well which will make things easier for Sony to gain the Market Leader for the Next-Gen systems.

Right now they took the price down on the 60GB version of the console and made the 80GB PS3 as $599 with MotorStorm bundled with it. Obviously when the 80GB PS3 comes out the 60GB will have more attention as it is a better deal. By the end of July all the 60GB PS3's will be out of stock.

From August, Sony will only be stocking up the 80GB PS3 bundles in stores until the end of August. Definitely by the end of August there will be only 80GB PS3's in stock in every store across North America. So Definitely they will be pulling down the price of the 80GB PS3 to $499 in September and bundling with MotorStorm right before the holiday season will make the PS3 even better deal.

So i think the price of the PS3 will be the same as $499 except that sometime in September the 80GB PS3 bundle will be down to $499 as the current 60GB PS3 and there will be no more of the 60GB PS3's anywhere across the continent.

Right before the holiday season, this will definitely be a good move to cut off the production costs and getting a price cut on the PS3 and also making it available as a bundle with MotorStorm.

If i am right, there are some negative effects as well. Once the 80GB PS3 comes out in August, there will be people who will buy them at the price of $599 when there are some 60GB PS3's still left in stock at some stores. I think these are the people who feel got cheated if at all Sony will bring the price down on the 80GB PS3. The price cut for the 80GB PS3 will definitely happen sometime this year if not in September. Otherwise this whole price cut on the 60GB PS3's wouldn't even make any sense.

What do you guys think ??

Sep 26, 2006
Good post, but this could have been posted in the other four page thread, other people were posting their own theories in it.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="AlternateReality, post: 0]Good post, but this could have been posted in the other four page thread, other people were posting their own theories in it.[/quote]

You're AV is evil. It scares me.

Sep 26, 2006
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]You're AV is evil. It scares me.[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what it is, but damn is it kool.

:DD

Just imagine it singing a child's song very slow in a Michael Jackson voice. :shock:

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="AlternateReality, post: 0]Good post, but this could have been posted in the other four page thread, other people were posting their own theories in it.[/quote]

Oh ... well i did not read all the replies. I though about it when they said they are going to bring the 80GB PS3 in North America which would not make any sense with the 60 GB PS3 also available.

RedSand426

Superior Member
Jan 24, 2007
I agree with your post. But we have no idea when they will sell standalone 80gb's @ $499 (hopefully soon). And I don't think they will bundle Motorstorm for Xmas, probably a different game by then...

Chromax

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2007
If they wanna win back all these people from every forum crying over this, they better drop the 80gb to $399.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="AlternateReality, post: 0]I'm not quite sure what it is, but damn is it kool.

:DD

Just imagine it singing a child's song very slow in a Michael Jackson voice. :shock:[/quote]

NO! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mist

Super Elite
Mar 5, 2007
Whilst it is good for people who will be buying a PS3 in the future, it's bad for the current owners, especially the EU owners who only got our PS3's under 4 months ago, 4 months in and we got an out of date system, that's not good at all!

I was expecting a long life out of the machine I just paid £425 for!

E

EVILEMPIRE

I think SONy knows what there doing WE cant doubt them guys :) they showed us a good killzone a good e3 they know what theere doing

May 25, 2005
[QUOTE="Mist, post: 0]Whilst it is good for people who will be buying a PS3 in the future, it's bad for the current owners, especially the EU owners who only got our PS3's under 4 months ago, 4 months in and we got an out of date system, that's not good at all!

I was expecting a long life out of the machine I just paid £425 for![/QUOTE]
How is it out of date? It's still the same console. It's still being updated through firmware. It's still able to play your games.

Relax, and sit back. Maybe there's a reason for all this. We'll hear about it either today or tomorrow.

Jan 23, 2007
United States
[QUOTE="sweetvar26, post: 0]K guys. I don't know how many of you will agree with me but this is one of the smartest move by Sony to grab the Market Leader position as soon as possible. This is what they will be doing -

You know how most of the laptops come with an 80GB hard drive now. If not right now as 120 and 160's are out but at least in 2006 most of the laptops came out with 80GB hard drive. The production cost of the 80GB hard drive has got to be cheaper than the 60GB version.

As Sony is trying to cut the cost of production of PlayStation 3, i am sure it will cost them less to make a PS3 with an 80GB hard drive instead of the 60GB. Cutting off the production cost will allow Sony to do a price drop on the PS3 as well which will make things easier for Sony to gain the Market Leader for the Next-Gen systems.

Right now they took the price down on the 60GB version of the console and made the 80GB PS3 as $599 with MotorStorm bundled with it. Obviously when the 80GB PS3 comes out the 60GB will have more attention as it is a better deal. By the end of July all the 60GB PS3's will be out of stock.

From August, Sony will only be stocking up the 80GB PS3 bundles in stores until the end of August. Definitely by the end of August there will be only 80GB PS3's in stock in every store across North America. So Definitely they will be pulling down the price of the 80GB PS3 to $499 in September and bundling with MotorStorm right before the holiday season will make the PS3 even better deal.

So i think the price of the PS3 will be the same as $499 except that sometime in September the 80GB PS3 bundle will be down to $499 as the current 60GB PS3 and there will be no more of the 60GB PS3's anywhere across the continent.

Right before the holiday season, this will definitely be a good move to cut off the production costs and getting a price cut on the PS3 and also making it available as a bundle with MotorStorm.

If i am right, there are some negative effects as well. Once the 80GB PS3 comes out in August, there will be people who will buy them at the price of $599 when there are some 60GB PS3's still left in stock at some stores. I think these are the people who feel got cheated if at all Sony will bring the price down on the 80GB PS3. The price cut for the 80GB PS3 will definitely happen sometime this year if not in September. Otherwise this whole price cut on the 60GB PS3's wouldn't even make any sense.

What do you guys think ??[/quote]
I think that they WONT cut the price during the holiday season and we will end up being ****ED OVER by sony. I thought this was a turning point for sonys success but I guess I was wrong. I have been loyal to sony even when they have fed me some of the most ridiculous bull **** I could hear. I would defend them on almost every point(in a non-fanboy way) but now, I dont think I can defend them anymore for this stupid move. Its not a permanent price cut on the current 60gb model, its a ****ing limited time promotion price cut. Theyre just indian giving pricks. I hope you're right that they drop the price in september, because if they dont then they are F U C K E D. Please do the right thing sony, and announce that this is either a rumor or that you will be dropping the price in september.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="vickers500, post: 0]I think that they WONT cut the price during the holiday season and we will end up being ****ED OVER by sony. I thought this was a turning point for sonys success but I guess I was wrong. I have been loyal to sony even when they have fed me some of the most ridiculous bull **** I could hear. I would defend them on almost every point(in a non-fanboy way) but now, I dont think I can defend them anymore for this stupid move. Its not a permanent price cut on the current 60gb model, its a ****ing limited time promotion price cut. Theyre just indian giving pricks. I hope you're right that they drop the price in september, because if they dont then they are F U C K E D. Please do the right thing sony, and announce that this is either a rumor or that you will be dropping the price in september.[/quote]

I am sure there will be a price cut sometime this year. There is no doubt about it. Be patient !

Also watch out when you write. You mention
INDIAN PRICKS
which might get you in trouble ...

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
After all this you really think they will drop it that soon? They annoucne it was doign well, they are not about to drop it at the end of this month

anh_duong

Apprentice
Jun 19, 2007
NO PRICE DROP FOR EUROPE. GRRRRRR.

i am a sony fan but i actually think that sony europe are a buch of retards.. look at all my post to see that i am generally a sony fan but sometimes i think sony europen executives are imbeciles to the nth degree.. nothing on europe psn network (although i register on the us), delay europe games (darkness, oblivion etc), more expensive PS3 and no price cuts.

if sony loses control of europe then they got only themselves to blame.. europe is key because japan is ps3 and usa is xbox so the battlefield is europe..

if sony keeps treating eurogamers like second class citizens compared to us and japan then i will jump ship.. i don't like xbox 360 (although i own an xbox original) because i don't like microsoft and hence i rather support sony but there are only so many straws that i can put up with before it breaks my back.

SONY cut the CRAP. SONY Stick your head out of the the SH1T andd listen and respect eurogamers. it is Europe that has given you hope in this generation so don't let them down.

Yours,

One p1ssed Sony fan

ps: if you don't complain you don't get.

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
1.The box said limited edtion
2.80gigs HDD are cheaper
2.NoEEC makes it cheaper
5.The game included with it will be taking out
6.Thus 1 SKU with the $500 again.

That is if they drop it

S

Sockpuppet

[QUOTE="sweetvar26, post: 0]

Also watch out when you write. You mentionwhich might get you in trouble ...[/quote]

You quoted the wrong part, it's 'indian giving.' It's a term to describe giving someone something but then immediately taking it back. Essentially 'Indian giving' is an insult. It wasn't a racial slur. Where or how the term originated however, could be but I wouldn't immediately associate it with anything derogatory.

Jan 23, 2007
United States
[QUOTE="Sockpuppet, post: 0]You quoted the wrong part, it's 'indian giving.' It's a term to describe giving someone something but then immediately taking it back. Essentially 'Indian giving' is an insult. It wasn't a racial slur. Where or how the term originated however, could be but I wouldn't immediately associate it with anything derogatory.[/quote]
Exactly. I'm not trying to be derogatory, I am merely describing an action which sony has done. And I do have a ps3 but I still get pissed off when news like this happens, because I am the only one with a ps3 that I know, and no one will buy it because of how expensive it is. I care about the issue because I dont want to see the ps3's fate to end up the same as the dreamcast's. I'm not as pissed off as i was earlier but I had to vent lol.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="Sockpuppet, post: 0]You quoted the wrong part, it's 'indian giving.' It's a term to describe giving someone something but then immediately taking it back. Essentially 'Indian giving' is an insult. It wasn't a racial slur. Where or how the term originated however, could be but I wouldn't immediately associate it with anything derogatory.[/quote]

oh well... never heard of it ... sorry buddy !!!

anyway ... i agree with ninja ... once the 80GB is in main circulation they will drop the motorstorm game and bring the 80GB console alone price down to $499.

I am expecting this to happen sometime in September or October !

ReZerO

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2007
Edmonton
i bet you that they don't just drop the price of the 80gig to 499, but they drop it even lower (with the 80gig saving them more money, why not?)
that would work into a pretty decent fiscal plan for them. get this negitave press started about "there was no price drop" make everyone believe that the most you'll do is drop it to 499 and then BAM!
suprise everyone. negitave press can be good when you cause/plan for it.
Do that just before the holiday season, they're going to be sitting in a good spot.

you have to remember Sony is a big company i'm sure to have people who plan all sorts of things like this, just look at the music busniess (a busniess we all know sony is part of)

the marketing dep't for sony is bound to be much larger and more experianced than microsoft and nintendo combined.

nzitser

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2007
I think in september/october after there's no 60gbs anymore adn the bundles aren't selling, Sony will take the 80gb, and lower it to 399 to compete with the premium, after which MS will lower the price f the premium to 349. Sony will comeout with a new 120gb version (since they would have already released their movie on demand service) for 499$ and 2 movies on the hard-drive

Dec 20, 2006
The 80 gig lacks the emotion engine as well so that is further incentive to make that the standard system as soon as possible as that is further cost reduction.

Loudninja

Master Sage
Jul 7, 2006
[QUOTE="RedOrb_collector, post: 0]The 80 gig lacks the emotion engine as well so that is further incentive to make that the standard system as soon as possible as that is further cost reduction.[/QUOTE]

And the 80gig HDD is cheaper as well.

Ladynaye

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2007
The 80 gig unit will be the new SKU and it will be $500. Count on it after the 60 gig version and the 80 gig Limited Editions run out.

That is my guess of course, but still, I bet that will be the case so I have no worries.