The X-Files (2018) is over!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I get that most people are focusing on the revelation that Cigarette Smoking Man is the father of William (which series creator Chris Carter confirmed was secretly the case back in Season 7) but I haven't read anyone talk about how we finally see a grown-up William at the very end, covering his ears in a dark room as he struggles to drown out the sounds of aliens speaking in his mind.

I am speaking as a big fan of The X-Files, I thought the last season could have been better, but the season premiere last night with "My Struggle III" (written and directed by Chris Carter) made me believe again. The series' long-running alien mythology is finally coming to a head with them finally focusing on the apocalyptic future and finding Scully's son, William.

I haven't been this excited about a television show in years!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This will likely be the last season of The X-Files since Gillian Anderson won't be returning for another one and Chris Carter says the show is about Mulder and Scully.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
So there will be 10 episodes this time around instead of 6. So far I only missed "This". This week's episode, "Plus One", was kind of boring.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This week's episode was surprisingly good. Pretty funny too. Especially during the alien encounter recollection when Mulder supposedly finds out "the truth" from the crazy guy, Reggie -- that aliens want nothing to do with us and are building a wall to prevent us from leaving our solar system.

Oh, and get excited!

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
I have the whole collection. Watched each one of the seasons many many times. Is the only series that can sit and watch again and again. Compared to X-Files, all the rest series lacking in quality.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
This final episode was going so well until the last three minutes:

Dana Scully is miraculously pregnant (again).
William is shown to have survived getting shot point blank in the head.

And then there's the irony of Cigarette Smoking Man presumably dying after getting shot several times in the chest by Mulder, even though, in the Season 9 finale "The End", he survived a helicopter strike out in the desert where we literally see his burning skeleton.

I love The X-Files but damn, the writers really want you to believe.