The "X" in Xbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_

Superior Member
Dec 19, 2005
Well, the original XBOX had an X on it's design, and I assumed Microsoft couldn't think of another new name, and went with the Sony method and just add a number to it.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
it's like asking why did Nintendo call their console Nintendo. :?:

i'm not even sure Nintendo is a word or a string of words merged together like Play Station.

It'd be very iteresting to hear how these companies actually came round to naming their consoles that, it's like asking how did certiain company's pertain that word, like Sony.

Usually companies are named after the surname of the founder of the company.

Jap Attack

Dedicated Member
Jul 10, 2005
Nintendo mean "Gaming Heaven" or something like that. Its hard to put in english. I just know Heaven is in there.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
Jap Attack said:
Nintendo mean "Gaming Heaven" or something like that. Its hard to put in english. I just know Heaven is in there.
oh thanks for that makes sense.

i guess X in the Xbox was the unknown factor of the Box's success?

well that's the most sense i can make out of it.

Xfactor.

pacman326

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2005
maybe its Pirate treasure... as in X marks the spot
Lol, I wouldn't go that far. I think as it has been said, Microsoft was brainstorming over the name of their console, and finally decided that an x looked best in front of the word "box"

G

GS kid

Although the "X" factor....or "unknown" factor I'm sure was part of the reason for the "X"...... I believe another big reason was because it's a Microsoft DirectX API based console.

But, instead of calling it "DirectXbox"...... it was reduced to simply Xbox.

I don't know...... Siren having worked there, might have a better insight as to the true reasons for the name. :wink:

Trinity

Elite Guru
Dec 3, 2005
the 360 is weird. Why? because 360 makes a circle right? so that means there is no beginning and no end, and it goes in circles. And you dont get anywhere in a circle.

T

Tribunal

Zero_ said:
Well, the original XBOX had an X on it's design, and I assumed Microsoft couldn't think of another new name, and went with the Sony method and just add a number to it.
Spiderman...Spiderman 2... Sony method? Thats just what most people do.

DDT

Superior Member
Sep 18, 2005
War Hawk said:
the 360 is weird. Why? because 360 makes a circle right? so that means there is no beginning and no end, and it goes in circles. And you dont get anywhere in a circle.
I think that is because a circle has no end, and its same way with the hardware of xbox 360, there is no end to its almost godlike powers, while the cell is just a cell weak and fragile, a circle is way cooler than a cell. Okay i will stop now. :wink:

Sep 28, 2005
I think that is because like a circle there is no end, and its same way with the hardware of xbox 360, there is no end to its almost godlike powers, while the cell is just a cell weak and fragile, a circle is way cooler than a cell.
I think it's the other way around. You get confused. :lol:

T

Tribunal

DDT said:
War Hawk said:
I think that is because a circle has no end, and its same way with the hardware of xbox 360, there is no end to its almost godlike powers, while the cell is just a cell weak and fragile, a circle is way cooler than a cell. Okay i will stop now. :wink:
ok, lol :lol: . Burn HIM!!! J/K

We should talk about how everything is based on cells, eh eh! :wink: YOU even run off Cells you Sony lover!

I just like how they made the Xbox 360. Contradictions make everything sound better.

n00body

Superior Member
Dec 13, 2005
www.gamefaqs.com
To the best of my knowledge, GS kid is right in this case. It's called the XBOX because of the DirectX 8 APIs that were utilized to develop for it. Though it's possible that the 360 kept the name for utilizing a DirectX 10 API derivative, I suspect it is now more for brand recognition. It wouldn't sound as cool if they called it the Windows Graphics Foundation Box (WGFBOX). :lol:

samoa_20

Apprentice
May 10, 2004
Speaking to Joystiq, Tecmo's Team Tachyon director Makoto Shibata has assured the world that the recently announced Quantum Theory is indeed a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Whew.

Quantum Theory is perhaps best described as what might happen if Gears of War got Devil May Cry 3 pregnant. There are plenty of muscle-bound space marines on show, albeit accompanied by some slip of a girl in skin-tight PVC, and the setting is a dark, post-apocalyptic city. A huge living tower has appeared in the middle of said city, and it's you job as protagonist to scale the innards of this construction, putting the hurt on a succession of bizarre monstrosities crafted from igneous rock.

Apparently the environments will change shape, much like those of a Japanese roguelike like the PlayStation 2's Baroque. They'll do this in real-time, however, which should lend the business of taking cover, popping out to shoot, etc a welcome element of unpredictability.

Quantum Theory is pencilled in for release late next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.