This needs to be addressed, and many of you need to hear it. Regarding GTA 4.

Sep 5, 2006
As many of you are likely aware of, whether you agree with me or not, I'm sick of this senseless controversy that surrounds Grand theft Auto IV. It doesn't need to exist, and people are blowing it way out of proportion. I'm tired of this sh*t. I'll tell you now, this will be fairly lengthy, as there's a lot of ground I need to cover, and in detail so it sinks into the stubborn little heads that we've got running amok here. Sad thing is that I see this trash from some of the most level headed folks on this board at times. Anyway, here goes, breaking things up into sections

"It's always been about gameplay, not graphics!"

What a bunch of pretentious crap. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the town called "You just described every single video game in history" Population: You.

No bloody crap. We ALL know that part of what separates games from other mediums of entertainment is the fact that they're interactive. Welcome to the real world, glad you could join us. The reasons why this notion is so foolish are many, so allow me to elaborate.

1. In it's strictest sense, a game literally without gameplay would either be a movie, a cartoon, show, anime, comic book, or art book. Heck, maybe even a picture. Story and graphics minus the interactivity are those mediums of entertainment in a nutshell. You find me something sold, advertised and categorized as a game that fits this description and I'll go right along and agree with this cretinous claim. Until then, please quit preaching to the choir. An ape could tell me this for crying out loud.

Now, we all have an understanding that developers craft games with the mindset that playing the game is the primary thing that we as gamers will be doing. Quite the revelation, indeed. Sorry to burst the bubble of all of you elitist, snobbish GTA zealots, but your precious covenant of a game...*gasp* isn't the only one in the history of video games to be about gameplay!!! Next point.

2. If it's all about gameplay and not graphics, then why play games at all? If you're such a diehard purist, play chat room games and MUDD type games.

At least there, all of your purists can get together and not have to bother with ignorant, senseless, immature graphics whores like myself right? Sure. Get off your high horses and get back down to planet Earth. Graphics matter.

3. The notion that graphics don't matter is a big fat F-U to every single individual, every visionary, every team that works hard to crank out the special effect and visual breathroughs we've seen in projects across all mediums. The Matrix, Lord of The Rings, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and with games Like FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Mario, Zelda, Halo, Bioshock, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet, ad any multitude of projects.

You elitists that say graphics don't matter, or games aren't about them, are effectively calling the work these individuals put in, including their very participation, irrelevant. I'm sure that I can speak on their behalf and say that such a notion is at it's worst insulting, and at the very least completely ridiculous. That's an elitist though. Never thinking more than two feet beyond their petty ideologies.

4. Like it or not, graphics is what makes the worlds in these video games that we play. Without them, or if they're not as important as you all like to let on, we may as well either be playing 2D black and white games with stick people, or colorless, greenscreen type 3D worlds with wireframes for characters and objects. Have fun without your graphics. What would GT be without graphics? Still one of the best racing sims around, with ZERO authenticity, NO feeling of connection to the real world that it's clamoring to emulate. How about Call of Duty 4? Would you call a colorless wireframe a U.S. Marine?

In conclusion, it's for these reasons why I KNOW you petty folks don't believe the bullcrap that you yourselves spout, because it's peppered with fallacies of thought. Quick Recap: If graphics don't matter, watch movies. If graphics don't matter, play chat room games, purist. If graphics don't matter, let's fire everyone who creates them. If graphics don't matter, say a nice, hard goodbye, to any artistic and stylistic differences in the worlds of these games that we love to explore.

For the record, I know how stupid all of this sounds so far. I know how extreme it sounds. That's how you sound when you go off on your illogical rants and persecutions. Stupid and extreme. Moving right along.

"R* has NEVER been adept with graphics, so stop picking at it!"
Wrong again, my logically challenged friends. This mentality does not cut it...ANYWHERE.

1. First of all, If you ask me my opinion on the graphics of the game, and I comply with your request and tell you my outlook, don't come at me defensively, attack me, and tell me I'm wrong, especially for such idiotic reasons. Wanna know why they're ridiculous? Here's why.

2. You're being unnecessarily submissive. Settling for mediocrity, and then, making fallacious excuses of why you SHOULD do it!

3. Would you tell a subordinate who's job entailed fixing generators that it's ok for him/her to not be good at their job, simply because they have a history of not being good at it?

How about an athlete? Some of the biggest superstars and legends of any given sport had shortcomings. Although that didn't hamper their ability, a shortcoming is still a shortcoming, and you're a filthy liar if you make excuses for them and try to cover them up. A Center in basketball who can shoot from the baseline yet has no post up moves STILL should better themselves in the post. A QB who's got one hell of an arm but lacking in the accuracy department HAD BETTER be doing drills in practice(Hello, Mike Vick) to better themselves.

Your child? "Little Vinny has never been good at math, I just can't understand why his teacher keeps on failing him!" Do I even need to explain that one?

How about civility and ethics? If you're gracious enough to give your friend a ride home because he doesn't have a vehicle(good thing, GTA's good gameplay), should you be allowed to punch him in the face(bad thing, GTA's lackluster graphics) simply on the grounds that you did SOMETHING right?

I should hope not. So tell me, elitists, why on Earth is it not ok to accept mediocrity in life and other areas, yet it is with this game? Why isn't it ok in life to let your abilities and skills stagnate under the pretense of "I've never been good at that, so why should I work on it!", but for the omnipotent Gods that work at R* who can do no wrong:rolleyes:, it's all fine and dandy?

Oh, that's right...it isn't ok, unless of course, it's just a fallacy that you cling to so you can have a false sense of security about your own beliefs.

I would say that this is one of the most ridiculous arguments posed, but they're all so far out there, and it baffles me.

It's as simple as this folks: Good gameplay doesn't mean you're allowed a free pass on graphics. A track record of bad graphics is an even worse excuse for continued bad graphics, period. The world didn't get where it is today because people throughout history didn't want to better themselves. The world didn't get where it is today because people just kinda figured "well, this is good enough!". Wrap your head around that one.

"The graphics aren't bad, that's just art style!"

I'll concede this point...but only to an extent.

1. Every game has their own art style. No matter how cliche it may be, every game possesses this. Nothing new. GTA does indeed have it's own distinct style that separates it from other games...but this brings me to my next point...

2. I've said this time and time again...and it puzzles me how there are so many people that can't comprehend such a simple notion. Art style does not mean you get a free pass on sacrificing or comprising detail. It's quite the opposite, actually. The reasons why we notice most things with a certain art style is because it's so meticulously detailed, right there along with it's inherently different aesthetic qualities.

What I'm seeing here with GTA is indeed an art style...you know, part of the identity that every game has, but severely lacking in the detail department. Once again, art style is great, and I love the style GTA goes for, especially this new one. I like how it's breaking away from the oh so typical Italian mafioso godfather knock off crap that's been regurgitated since the 50's. I'm also happy that they aren't continuing this sickening trend of faux 50-cent wanna-be wanksta trash that's being liberally exploited in pop culture today. Bleh. Regardless of my liking the style, I still feel that it was executed slightly poorly. SLIGHTLY in case any bullheaded folks intend on missing that. I know how people love to refrain from accepting different opinions sometimes.

3. Examples include Valkyrie of the Battlefield, Tales of Vesperia, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII, MGS 4, Gears of War, Killzone 2, Mafia 2(bold because it's another open world game, and I know how those of you who love to grasp at straws will freely exercise your right to hang off of this one), DBZ Burst Limit, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Fight Night, Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Resistance, Halo, Bioshock, Resident Evil, among many, many, many others.

These games not only have a very distinct, unmistakable art style, but they're also meticulously detailed to their credit. So please, don't try to play off bad graphics as good art style. Cool style, yes, good graphics, no(MY OPINION).
others.

I shouldn't even have to say that though. If you ask me, half the reason why all of you defend it so vehemently, is because you yourselves don't like the way it looks either, you just don't want to come to terms with it. Please, let me know if I'm off base, but I don't think so this time. Here's why.

Instead of being civil, and either admitting that you yourself also don't like the graphics or simply stating that you do, you will...
  • ...call me(and others) a graphics whore
  • ...say it's ok because it's never had good gfx
  • ...say that gameplay is all that matters
  • ...say that graphics are irrelevant
  • ...say that console X can't handle anymore(prove it)
  • ...say that it's because it's a multiplat
  • ...say I don't understand games
  • ...tell me to stop b*tching, when all I gave was my opinion
And with these on display, none of them make a shred of sense. Here, we see ad hominem fallacies, denial, straight up falsified reasons, assumptions that can't be proven, and baseless accusations. Let me know if I missed any. Can any of you GTA dogmatics tell me why any of this nonsense is not only acceptable, but how on earth does any of it make SENSE?

"Here's some mature, civil responses we've seen to a different opinion..."

• Well, that's your opinion, I see it differently.
  • Yeah, I don't like the graphics either, but the game looks great
  • Why don't you like the graphics?
That's just a few, but really, in response to a simple, genuine opinion, what more really needs to be said? Either comply, state your personal opinion in retort, ask why, or MOVE ON! Is that such a strange notion, to simply accept someone else's opinion as being different? I guess when uncertainty and insecurity plague your mind, you resort to that sort of thing.

I realize that the internet is a haven for instigators and trolls. When we encounter those, there's a fairly distinct difference between those idiots and a simple member just giving their take on things. Beyond that, aren't we smart enough to know not to feed trolls? I fly off the handle on a troll often times myself, but it d*mn sure isn't productive, and I shouldn't do it. REPORT trolls if you see them, folks, don't feed them, because a troll, by their very nature, gets off on seeing YOU p*ssed.

Don't treat someone like a troll, if you're not dealing with a troll, simple as that.

Why it's hypocritical

This hearkens back to the very first point I made. You love to say this trash that makes you feel noble, or correct..."It's not about graphics, it's about gameplay!"

Tell me then, why don't you take that little mentality with all games? Why is it that I see some of the same characters who preach this gameplay nonsense voicing their displeasure with the visuals of other games?

The same people I see claiming "it's all about gameplay" never seem to be the ones saying such things when they're stating their own negative opinions about games like K&L, Sonic, Timeshift, Lair, Tony Hawk, NBA Live, and ALL THE REST of the games that we just love to hate. Suddenly, it's okay to say that graphics are bad. Suddenly, graphics matter this time. Suddenly, graphics are somehow part of the equation, right along with all of the other stuff we say to trash these games.

• I don't have a problem with this in and of itself, because hey, they're simply opinions and there's nothing wrong with a negative opinion so long as it isn't contrived(trolling). But when you're running to GTA's, or any other darling for that matter, defense and preaching all of this righteous, purist gamer babble, then you had better wear that on your sleeve when you talk about any game. It's simply not fair to allow and engage in certain criticisms about certain games, yet not apply them to others. That's hypocrisy. In that same light, you hypocrite are no better than the perverted priests and bishops who preach about their creator and His values only to turn around and molest children, kill people, steal money, and commit crimes. Take that to the bank.

I'm looking for consistency in this little "graphics don't matter, but gameplay does" argument, and I have yet to see it from ANY of you perpetrators...any. If you've ever said that graphics don't matter, you're implying that they're irrelevant, therefore excluded from criticism because they are of no consequence. That means that any of you who have ever said that graphics don't matter just to run to another thread and make a statement so innocent as "I'm not fond of those visuals", consider your credibility gone, your arguments hollow, and mentality hypocritical.

Basically though, this applies to any of this crap. Any of the defenses you all love to levy in favor of GTA yet you won't for any other game, makes you full of it, period.

The worst transgression...

Believe it or not, all of this trash, as ridiculous as it is, isn't even where the brunt of my beef lies. I take issue with the mentality that you simply refuse to accept or deal with the different opinion of another human being. WHY on earth is this so difficult to come to grips with for some of you? I mean, the excuses are just ridiculous!

"They never had this, they were never about that, what did you expect, what do you want, you're an idiot, you're this, you're that, you don't know anything, blah blah blah, yak yak yak!"

My goodness...why, just WHY!?

In such a simple situation as this:

THREAD TITLE: What do you think of GTA 4 gfx? New Screens of GTA4! I do/don't like GTA 4's gfx, what do you think?

Response: I don't like the graphics, they're ugly, they look like crap, etc. so forth.

Okay, understanding that some of those are tame, some are abrasive, but is anyone directly insulting you when they say a game looks bad, whatever their choice of words? I'd love to hear someone say yes to this. I'd be the first one to point you in the direction of the nearest loony bin. Maybe the farthest one would be more appropriate, so that sick mentality doesn't spread to others.

So really folks, if the topic of discussion is visuals, screenshots, and opinions, whats the problem? Why do so many of you catch feelings? Why can't you just live and let live? You don't see me calling you an a*s for LIKING the visuals, do you? Why do it to me? Why do I have to be a graphics whore, why do I have to be an idiot? How come I'm the one who doesn't understand gaming? How is it that I don't know what I'm talking about, when the only fundamental difference between my words and yours is preference?

Am I getting through to people here?

In conclusion

I don't know what else to say, I really dont...so I'll end it with a very simple revelation.

If some of you will simply stop attacking and hating people for having different opinions, all of this garbage that I listed above wouldn't be an issue. This thread, long and drawn out as it is, wouldn't have to exist.

All of the angst and division created wouldn't have been if we would simply respect one another's opinions, agree to disagree, and move on to better topics of discussion. The bickering and controversy of something so stupid need not ever be an issue like this.

However you slice, we're literally battling one another simply because the person on the other side doesn't share the beliefs as I do. You're NEVER going to change that, so why be a pr*ck about it?

We could all do much, MUCH better with a little bit more civility around here. That's all folks.

By the way, I've included a poll to prove a point, I hope to get as much participation as possible, even if you don't care to read this or post a response.

Oct 24, 2006
I think you're reading too far into it.

Your argument suggests that it's either 100% graphics and 0% gameplay, 100% gameplay and 0% graphics or nothing at all.

Developers do not have unlimited budgets or unlimited time so IMO I would rather them spend resources ensuring gameplay is top notch, rather than spend that time on ultra-super-mega graphics; leaving the gameplay lacking.

I think an analogy here would be Lair. That game looks unbelievably good, but the control mechanics suck (control mechanics are a part of the gameplay experience). If they had spent more time on the gameplay/controls than they did ensuring they had the best water effects of the time, then I'm sure it would have been better received and a better game to play.

In a world with unlimited time, resources and budget, I would agree with you, why shouldn't we aim for the best? The fact of the matter is, we don't live in this magical unlimted world, so there has to be a balancing act between certain factors.

G

Guilty-X-Shell

Are you mad because i've never seen someone write so much just to get his/her point across.Whats up with a new thread popping up evey two minutes its getting rediculous.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]I think you're reading too far into it.

Your argument suggests that it's either 100% graphics and 0% gameplay, 100% gameplay and 0% graphics or nothing at all.

Developers do not have unlimited budgets or unlimited time so IMO I would rather them spend resources ensuring gameplay is top notch, rather than spend that time on ultra-super-mega graphics; leaving the gameplay lacking.

I think an analogy here would be Lair. That game looks unbelievably good, but the control mechanics suck (control mechanics are a part of the gameplay experience). If they had spent more time on the gameplay/controls than they did ensuring they had the best water effects of the time, then I'm sure it would have been better received and a better game to play.

In a world with unlimited time, resources and budget, I would agree with you, why shouldn't we aim for the best? The fact of the matter is, we don't live in this magical unlimted world, so there has to be a balancing act between certain factors.[/QUOTE]
I see what you're saying. 100% agree. What I'm trying to say is that I'm sick of EITHER of those points of view.

My point was that graphics are every bit as relevant to games as gameplay, sound, control, or any of the other crucial parts that comprise them. I don't think like the elitists do that one feature upstages or takes precedence a particularly substantial amount more than the other.

Every aspect of gaming contributes to and supplements the others. Without any, games, good and bad, would not be what they are, period.

My main gripe though is that I'm just of people harassing me and others for simply voicing their displeasure with something.

People really need to come to grips with others is my main point, the things above are me just trying my d*mndest to dissect the foolish things that people tell themselves to supplement their insecure mentalities.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]I see what you're saying. 100% agree. What I'm trying to say is that I'm sick of EITHER of those points of view.

My point was that graphics are every bit as relevant to games as gameplay, sound, control, or any of the other crucial parts that comprise them. I don't think like the elitists do that one feature upstages or takes precedence a particularly substantial amount more than the other.

Every aspect of gaming contributes to and supplements the others. Without any, games, good and bad, would not be what they are, period.

My main gripe though is that I'm just of people harassing me and others for simply voicing their displeasure with something.

People really need to come to grips with others is my main point, the things above are me just trying my d*mndest to dissect the foolish things that people tell themselves to supplement their insecure mentalities.[/quote]
I agree, people are entitled to their opinions.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="kaelell, post: 0]Wow most pointless thread ive seen all month... a free cookie to anyone who actualy bothered to read all that.[/QUOTE]
Well friend, all your post says to me is that I wrote something that your simple mind either can't comprehend, or you're just too stubborn to consider even trying to understand.

If you can't honestly understand the point to addressing exactly what's wrong with hypocrisy and condescending, unfair attitudes, then not only is that your problem, but there's a good chance that since you feel that way, you're probably part of the problem I'm addressing.

Kudos to you on a post just as pointless as your perception of mine.

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
i dont think u fully understand what people mean when they say graphics dont matter, the gfx of nearly all games released, on any next gen system or computer, have reached a level where graphics is something thats almost taken for granted...essentially we know we will get a game with at least half decent graphics, and something that will surely far surpass the gfx in last generation titles...now dont get this confused with art style thats another matter entirely and IMO equally if not important....so when people say graphics dont matter its because they dont, the gfx allready look pretty dam good especially for a sandbox game, and the art style is fantastic

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Well friend, all your post says to me is that I wrote something that your simple mind either can't comprehend, or you're just too stubborn to consider even trying to understand.

If you can't honestly understand the point to addressing exactly what's wrong with hypocrisy and condescending, unfair attitudes, then not only is that your problem, but there's a good chance that since you feel that way, you're probably part of the problem I'm addressing.

Kudos to you on a post just as pointless as your perception of mine.[/quote]
Please don't feed the trolls.

i dont think u fully understand what people mean when they say graphics dont matter, the gfx of nearly all games released, on any next gen system or computer, have reached a level where graphics is something thats almost taken for granted...essentially we know we will get a game with at least half decent graphics, and something that will surely far surpass the gfx in last generation titles...now dont get this confused with art style thats another matter entirely and IMO equally if not important....so when people say graphics dont matter its because they dont, the gfx allready look pretty dam good especially for a sandbox game, and the art style is fantastic
QFT.

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
I think what your trying to get at Lord Arkon... and don't quote me on this, your trying to say how important graphics are for emersion.

A game is about feeling like you are the character your playing. Beleiving the world you are in and enjoyment comes from living this life you can't normally live (speaking in generalities). From this point of view, the importance of graphics is huge. Just as audio is, so is the animations, the models, the textures, the voices, everything comes together to emerse you into this world.

Where other people are coming from, and poorly explaining themselves is that Rockstar, and the style behind their games, is more emersive than most... and they place more importance on their story telling, their voice acting, their characterisation to emerse you and get you interested than graphics.

Seperate to this I do beleive no-one is seeing what GTA4 will look like yet. Until I've seen it playing on the PS3 I won't say the graphics are good or bad. I do beleive the physics, the emotion engine and all the other little elements we can't see on these pre-determined videos will help the visuals massively, and we won't see that until the game is released.

As far as the main problem, which I too notice on this forum. People's attitudes here are closed and they don't care what you think, they just have to get their opinion out there to increase their E-go sizes. This place in particular, an internet gaming forum, is not the place to expect or demand level headedness. But I have noticed some around.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
Hmm, i may be one of those guys.I do think graphics matter, but there aren't that many better looking sandbox games.Mafia 2 does look a lot better, but there was absolutely nothing to do in the city in Mafia 1.

I'll judge the graphics when i can see the gameplay videos or when i have the game.

E: I did have a grip on people who clearly exaggerated.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="ps3isthebestobe, post: 0]i dont think u fully understand what people mean when they say graphics dont matter, the gfx of nearly all games released, on any next gen system or computer, have reached a level where graphics is something thats almost taken for granted...essentially we know we will get a game with at least half decent graphics, and something that will surely far surpass the gfx in last generation titles...now dont get this confused with art style thats another matter entirely and IMO equally if not important....so when people say graphics dont matter its because they dont, the gfx allready look pretty dam good especially for a sandbox game, and the art style is fantastic[/quote]

See, that's all perception though, but that's not what bothers me. Also, it's not the "graphics don't matter" talk per se that bothers me, it's what motivates people to say such things, and that is simply rooted in the stubborn mentality that one opinion is wrong, and the other right.

I absolutely hear what you're saying, and I agree, and actually think that's part of whats helping to make games more engrossing these days, but like yours, that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, I'm just tired of people who can't come to grips with the opinion of another, and then making up reasons why they feel that way.

I'm fully aware that people don't actually mean that when they say graphics don't matter, which is why i said at the end there "I realize this sounds stupid and extreme, well so do those of you who slander other people's opinion"

My point there was that all of the excuses people like to levy when they're trying to chastise someone for having an opinion, are purely pretentious, and they know it.

cool6611

Dedicated Member
Aug 24, 2007
ohh God u seriously have this much time to write this long article ?? What do u do in life ? anyway good article though and I say GTA IV is the Father Of All Games

Mr Turnip

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2006
Why isn't there a "I think the graphics are awesome" Poll option...

And if graphics were the main selling point of a game, then GTA wouldn't be a big title at all - proving that people care more about the gameplay than how it looks, seriously would everyone STFU about the graphics, just don't buy the game if you don't like them

DeanoIV

Forum Elder
Jul 24, 2007
I'm one of those people who has stated that I don't like the graphics of GTAIV from the screens I've seen. But what is the big deal? What does that have to do with anyone else and why do people constantly have to call me names just because I HAVE AN OPINION which I am entitled too.

This has more to do with Rockstar and Sony and their relationship over the years. How come it's fine for people to bad name other developers and games that don't look so good but not GTAIV. People expect alot from next-gen and that's just fact, deal with it, there's no reason why GTAIV couldn't have looked more impressive than it does and I know for a fact that if it did, the people who are defending it's graphics would be drooling over it so don't be hypocritical here.

It does not matter if a game is about graphics or not, does thta mean that all the stunning looking games that have been released could have looked like PS2 games and everyone would have been fine about it? Would Uncharted have been such a hit with PS3 fans if it had looked like a PS2 game? And developers are the first guys to talk about graphics, so if anyone is a graphics whore then it's developers, we're just the people who hand over the cash for the products we want.

ivo150

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2007
Bassically GTA4 is gonna be brilliant and stop moaning about graphics, not everything is about graphics!!!
Anyway if you are so displeased with the current situation why dtont you just not buy the game?

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
It's amazing how many people are posting here that you should stop complaining about the graphics Arkon. And this just proves your point. People havn't bothered to read, and just want something new to argue about.

Mr Turnip

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2006
[QUOTE="inToxic, post: 0]It's amazing how many people are posting here that you should stop complaining about the graphics Arkon. And this just proves your point. People havn't bothered to read, and just want something new to argue about.[/QUOTE]
People might be more inclined to read it if there wasn't like 10 words per line.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="inToxic, post: 0]It's amazing how many people are posting here that you should stop complaining about the graphics Arkon. And this just proves your point. People havn't bothered to read, and just want something new to argue about.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, I was thinking the same thing.

Honestly, I can't, nor do will I expect people to read all of that, but that's partly why I put it into categories, so maybe someone would read bits and pieces and get a clue. At the very least, the heart of my message lies at the conclusion.

In any case, I'm glad there's been so much participation in the poll.

Surely some of the people who voted No don't like the graphics, yet they're still going to get the game.

And out the window goes all the

"You're a graphics whore"

"Don't get the game if you don't like the graphics"

and many of the other things that GTA zealots like to perpetuate.

We're all fans of gaming, and in particular, this game, folks. Some of us simply are not pleased with one aspect of the game. It's obvious though, that most us still want this game, so please, if you can't at least come to grips with a differing opinion, can you at least find solace in the fact that the people you're chastising still want the game?

ToonAssassin

!! Watch Your Step !!
Oct 26, 2007
Watching YOUR step !
Here's my 2p worth for you, GTA has always had it's own graphical style, and probably always will have, i both accept this fact and embrace the distinctive look that R* give their games, for this reason i have never thought that there was anything wrong with the graphics in GTA4 and i'm looking forward to the 29th april more than ever.

this will be an awesome game, and in it's own way will be pleasing to the eye, i have no doubts about that at all.

Rynoboy

Mod In Training
May 9, 2007
I am mad because they would have been able to do A LOT more if they had 100% exclusivity to the PS3
they would be able to have better graphics

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
[QUOTE="Rynoboy, post: 0]I am mad because they would have been able to do A LOT more if they had 100% exclusivity to the PS3
they would be able to have better graphics[/quote]

Do you know this as fact? Or do you assume so?

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
I don't mind people saying that the graphics suck, but the thing that bothers me is those people saying
that "there's no reason why GTAIV couldn't have looked more impressive than it does".. Apparently a lot of people think that making games is a piece of cake, and if a game like GTA looks bad then it's because the dev's didn't care about it, and got nothing to do with them not having enough time.

[QUOTE="inToxic, post: 0]Do you know this as fact? Or do you assume so?[/QUOTE]

If they only had to make the game for one console then of course it would look better, doesn't matter if it was 360 or PS3. They would have a lot more time on their hands if they only had to focus on one console.

G

Gogeta

[QUOTE="inToxic, post: 0]Do you know this as fact? Or do you assume so?[/quote]

It's a blatant fact, if this game was exclusive to PS3 it will be much better just like DMC4, they tone down our version so that it's equally as good as the 360 version. A DVD9 ain't gonna give you nothing from here to Jericho.

Even though i din't vote, i'm kind of in the middle, i think that the graphics aren't the best and aren't the worst, the gameplay also isn't the best or even the worst. However i still thought this was the next gen era, so i expected a much higher graphical improvement from the PS2 games to GTAIV, but i just don't see it.

The graphics arent bad, if you want bad graphics then buy Spiderman 3, i think the graphics are kind of well balanced between itself and gameplay.

I wasn't gonna get this game in the first place, infact i believe this game should be banned.:DD

Mar 3, 2007
Well, I've been playing GTA:SA for a bit here lately and I personally think people are having short term memory on stating that GTA4 looks like a PS2 game. GTA:SA looks like crap, but I still think the game is amazing and when going from playing that to watching the new GTA4 videos the game looks amazing. However, I also agree graphically it's not on par with other games.

Anyway, I voted that it's still going to be major fun...

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
[QUOTE="Gogeta, post: 0]It's a blatant fact, if this game was exclusive to PS3 it will be much better just like DMC4, they tone down our version so that it's equally as good as the 360 version. A DVD9 ain't gonna give you nothing from here to Jericho.[/quote]

More "Sony" superiority. Devs are having trouble developing for PS3, as it's a newer architecture no-one is used to. You have no idea if the game could be better on the PS3 alone. Unless Rockstar tells me that, it's not fact, it's more assumption. How do you know they havn't done their best on PS3 and pushed the 360 to be equal? If you think that the PS3 version could be better that's fine, but don't claim facts when you have no idea.

As for DVD9 they have much better compressions than the PS3 has available to it, which allows them to have so far fit games that would only fit on a Blu-Ray otherwise.

[QUOTE="Redman_DK, post: 0]
If they only had to make the game for one console then of course it would look better, doesn't matter if it was 360 or PS3. They would have a lot more time on their hands if they only had to focus on one console.[/quote]

This is the only reason to support what the person above is arguing, as it's true.

P.S.3

Elite Member
Oct 25, 2006
Why did you take so long to write that? Just to whine about the graphics? Well don't get the game. No one is forcing you too. Also, the poll tells the truth, so, there you have it.