This needs to be addressed, and many of you need to hear it. Regarding GTA 4.

Smog282

Super Elite
Aug 9, 2007
wow, GTA 4 is the best looking GTA yet (not just because it's on better hardware; in comparison to other games out at the same time)

all of the past GTA's have looked like crap yet have been very fun and sold record numbers. Rockstar really blew this one out of the water in terms of gameplay; and you want to ruin that for some prettier visuals?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not reading this.

The graphics won't stop me from buying the game. Anyone who wants the game buy won't get it because of the graphics is only cheating themselves.

G

Gogeta

[QUOTE="inToxic, post: 0]More "Sony" superiority. Devs are having trouble developing for PS3, as it's a newer architecture no-one is used to. You have no idea if the game could be better on the PS3 alone. Unless Rockstar tells me that, it's not fact, it's more assumption. How do you know they havn't done their best on PS3 and pushed the 360 to be equal? If you think that the PS3 version could be better that's fine, but don't claim facts when you have no idea.

As for DVD9 they have much better compressions than the PS3 has available to it, which allows them to have so far fit games that would only fit on a Blu-Ray otherwise.

This is the only reason to support what the person above is arguing, as it's true.[/quote]

Devs are having trouble with the PS3, maybe with Star Wars Force Unleashed but not with others.

Insomiac and Naughty Dog, beat that, they know the PS3 inside out.:eek:

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
Did you seriously make another thread... and wait... a poll about this? This is ridiculous. I hope this wasn't to prove your point that you couldn't get across this morning... because this looks more like it's proving my point.

Mr Turnip

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2006
Devs were having trouble, i think games out currently prove that devs just needed to get a little used to the PS3, i think everything's fine now.

And wow! This thread's still alive? With all this moaning about GTA's graphics it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we started seeing "gta b3TTERGRAFIX PETTItion sign herelol" threads appearing everywhere.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="P.S.3, post: 0]Why did you take so long to write that? Just to whine about the graphics? Well don't get the game. No one is forcing you too. Also, the poll tells the truth, so, there you have it.[/QUOTE]
Wow, comprehension much?

My point was to get people to stop whining about others having differing opinions. You're the exact type of person that the piece and the poll are for.

The poll was there to illustrate my point that even though some of us don't like the graphics, we still want the game. I voted No myself, genius, and it's also a public poll, so click the results to see my name right there underneath my choice. So much for "If you don't like the graphics, don't get the game", eh? Check and mate, and with that ignorant statement in light of the poll, you prove yourself as being in league with all the rest of the arrogant GTA4 elitists who can't handle a difference of opinion.

Stunning how you can misinterpret something for exactly what it ISN'T.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Wow, comprehension much?

My point was to get people to stop whining about others having differing opinions. You're the exact type of person that the piece and the poll are for.

The poll was there to illustrate my point that even though some of us don't like the graphics, we still want the game. I voted No myself, genius, and it's also a public poll, so click the results to see my name right there underneath my choice. So much for "If you don't like the graphics, don't get the game", eh? Check and mate, and with that ignorant statement in light of the poll, you prove yourself as being in league with all the rest of the arrogant GTA4 elitists who can't handle a difference of opinion.

Stunning how you can misinterpret something for exactly what it ISN'T.[/quote]

I just think you don't know how to convey messages very well. No offense, but you clearly bash "purists" for thinking that graphics don't make up the game but yet you sit here and say the point of the thread is to get everyone to respect each other's opinions. Crazy talk...

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]being in league with all the rest of the arrogant GTA4 elitists who can't handle a difference of opinion.[/quote]
People are entitled to an opinion, either way. Because people aren't agreeing with you here doesn't make them "arrogant elitists".

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]I just think you don't know how to convey messages very well. No offense, but you clearly bash "purists" for thinking that graphics don't make up the game but yet you sit here and say the point of the thread is to get everyone to respect each other's opinions. Crazy talk...[/QUOTE]
Negative, I oppose elitists because they don't respect other peoples opinions. They themselves don't truly feel that graphics don't matter, because if you'll notice, they only say such a thing when they're on the defensive, yet when they don't like how a game looks, graphics suddenly aren't the issue.

All I'm saying is that if you don't care for graphics, good for you. Don't tell me I'm wrong for having my opinion on the issue as well.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Negative, I oppose elitists because they don't respect other peoples opinions. They themselves don't truly feel that graphics don't matter, because if you'll notice, they only say such a thing when they're on the defensive, yet when they don't like how a game looks, graphics suddenly aren't the issue.

All I'm saying is that if you don't care for graphics, good for you. Don't tell me I'm wrong for having my opinion on the issue as well.[/quote]

That's the stupidest **** ever. You're such a hypocrite. You're telling the "elitists" they're wrong because they don't agree with you. You're complaining about the very same thing that you're doing. I don't consider myself an elitist because I don't believe that graphics don't matter 100%. I just believe that gameplay is the most important factor when creating a game, and I'm sticking with that no matter how far we go in the video game business. Me saying that gameplay is not the most important factor is not a defense mechanism. Bashing is a defensive mechanism which is what you, my friend, are guilty of. Case closed.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]That's the stupidest **** ever. You're such a hypocrite. You're telling the "elitists" they're wrong because they don't agree with you. You're complaining about the very same thing that you're doing. I don't consider myself an elitist because I don't believe that graphics don't matter 100%. I just believe that gameplay is the most important factor when creating a game, and I'm sticking with that no matter how far we go in the video game business. Me saying that gameplay is not the most important factor is not a defense mechanism. Bashing is a defensive mechanism which is what you, my friend, are guilty of. Case closed.[/QUOTE]
No, I'm not telling anyone that they're wrong for not agreeing with me. Again, I couldn't care less.

Once again, I take issue with when someone gives an opinion that's either asked for or related to the topic, a bunch of charges are levied against said person because the accusers disagree. How am I doing that here?

I'm telling elitists that they're wrong BECAUSE they do THAT, not because they don't agree with me. Once again, my stance is that I like the game, don't care for the graphics. You find me one instance where I chastise somebody for not sharing that point of view, and I'll freely admit to being the hypocrite that you accuse me of.

On the other hand, go to any GTA screenshot thread, and nearly anyone with a negative opinion on the game gets chastised for it. That's where I take issue.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hello, Whew! take a breath for a minute! OK.... feel better?
I personally feel that the GTA series has always had pretty decent graphics considering their particular "Artistic style". It's really a love it or hate it thing IMO. I remember the first time I played the new GTA, And I really was amazed at how they brought the world to life, (BTW, do you guys recall what GTA looked like a looong time ago?, top down view?). After having played the hell out of GTA Vice City, I always looked forward to the next game. And YES, I am a graphics whore as well! But, the gameplay was really enjoyable too! I like the game mechanics, On foot, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, helicopters and even planes! I thought they did this extremely well. I actually enjoyed the driving in GTA better than Gran Turismo! (Smashing a car at 90MPH and NO DAMAGE?!?!) yeah right! The other thing that sets GTA apart from the knockoffs was the music sound track and the voice acting. I loved it (Being a child of the eighties and all!), Well I could go on all day, but in short I think the new game is gonna be awesome!
That's just my opinion btw, and if anyone wants to disagree with me, that's OK too!

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="TOM2x, post: 0]Hello, Whew! take a breath for a minute! OK.... feel better?
I personally feel that the GTA series has always had pretty decent graphics considering their particular "Artistic style". It's really a love it or hate it thing IMO. I remember the first time I played the new GTA, And I really was amazed at how they brought the world to life, (BTW, do you guys recall what GTA looked like a looong time ago?, top down view?). After having played the hell out of GTA Vice City, I always looked forward to the next game. And YES, I am a graphics whore as well! But, the gameplay was really enjoyable too! I like the game mechanics, On foot, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, helicopters and even planes! I thought they did this extremely well. I actually enjoyed the driving in GTA better than Gran Turismo! (Smashing a car at 90MPH and NO DAMAGE?!?!) yeah right! The other thing that sets GTA apart from the knockoffs was the music sound track and the voice acting. I loved it (Being a child of the eighties and all!), Well I could go on all day, but in short I think the new game is gonna be awesome!
That's just my opinion btw, and if anyone wants to disagree with me, that's OK too![/QUOTE]
And this is all I'm trying to promote.

Why is it so difficult for opinions like this to co-exist?

I don't like the graphics, this individual here does, we can both enjoy the game in harmony.

No venom spewed, just opinions shared, compared, and we all move on.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]On the other hand, go to any GTA screenshot thread, and nearly anyone with a negative opinion on the game gets chastised for it. That's where I take issue.[/quote]
Can you post a link to an example of a chastising you received for having differing views on GTA IV?

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]Can you post a link to an example of a chastising you received for having differing views on GTA IV?[/quote]
It's not about me, it's about the group mentality in general, but sure. I'm speaking out about those who would do it to anybody, but yeah, gimme a sec.

On second thought, I don't want to put anybody in particular on blast here. I'll PM you.

R

#Rob

Now let me say a very hard to discuss point:

° Did we ever cared about the graphics on PS2 for the GTA series ? I've Played GTA,GTA2,GTA3,Gta vice city, Gta San Andreas , GTA Vice city Stories, GTA Liberty city stories. And did I ever cared about graphics with GTA ? No , is so much fun to kill people, running crazy in circles, get a tank and kill all cars, get 6 stars, get a car, do motor stunts,parachute jumps,jumping out a plane/helicopter

Now please, I didn't even cared about hraphics of GTA1 , It was 2D, ugly in now times and weird as hell , but that's a bunch of years ago and in that time, it was great. Always fun to get people of the mafia and those stuff.

I remember when i saw GTA vice city on PS2. It was in 2003 and I was like : Wow, that's a nice game. I went to the Flanders Gamepower Expo 2006 (Belgium :p) and I played GTA : Vice city on PSP, that was also a nice game.

GTA have never been about Graphics, the gameplay and fun in the game distracts the graphics look, depends if you are a graphics nerd.

First , Gameplay > Graphics, Crysis has a very bad gameplay IMO , that's why I didn't bought it.

And who doesn't want to destroy 100 cars in time with no lag with the PS3 ?. In PS2 , it was sometimes laggy, but for PS3 = MORE CARS TO DESTROY !!! :D

My opinion of all those bull crap threads.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]No, I'm not telling anyone that they're wrong for not agreeing with me. Again, I couldn't care less.

Once again, I take issue with when someone gives an opinion that's either asked for or related to the topic, a bunch of charges are levied against said person because the accusers disagree. How am I doing that here?

I'm telling elitists that they're wrong BECAUSE they do THAT, not because they don't agree with me. Once again, my stance is that I like the game, don't care for the graphics. You find me one instance where I chastise somebody for not sharing that point of view, and I'll freely admit to being the hypocrite that you accuse me of.

On the other hand, go to any GTA screenshot thread, and nearly anyone with a negative opinion on the game gets chastised for it. That's where I take issue.[/quote]

WHOA! You talk about I contradict myself? Ummm... no. That's what you do. Your entire thread is about how purists should get off their high horse and go play chat room games and **** because to them graphics don't matter. There are several instances in your post where you tell the purists that they ARE WRONG because they know graphics are important to games. You even go so far as to plainly state to the purists in question that "Graphics Matter". If you had of just left it like that and said "Well, graphics matter and that's the bottom line" I would have no issue with it. But you're sitting here trying to appease the situation now because you know that you're plan to prove your point has failed with over 90% of the members not caring about the graphics of GTA. NOW, you're trying to say "Oh, what I was trying to say is that we should all respect one another's opinions and be friends". You just tried to force your point of view on everyone by posting your extremely biased thread but once you see you're on the losing end you try to switch gameplans. Pathetic. You are a hyprocrite and you know it. Oh, and please don't say you couldn't care less because you made the ****ing thread... after there had already been five of these threads made just yesterday. You wrote a ****ing book on how much you could care less about what other people think? Get the **** outta here. You put a poll in this thread for a reason. C'mon, man... stop fronting.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]WHOA! You talk about I contradict myself? Ummm... no. That's what you do. Your entire thread is about how purists should get off their high horse and go play chat room games and **** because to them graphics don't matter. There are several instances in your post where you tell the purists that they ARE WRONG because they know graphics are important to games. You even go so far as to plainly state to the purists in question that "Graphics Matter". If you had of just left it like that and said "Well, graphics matter and that's the bottom line" I would have no issue with it. But you're sitting here trying to appease the situation now because you know that you're plan to prove your point has failed with over 90% of the members not caring about the graphics of GTA. NOW, you're trying to say "Oh, what I was trying to say is that we should all respect one another's opinions and be friends". You just tried to force your point of view on everyone by posting your extremely biased thread but once you see you're on the losing end you try to switch gameplans. Pathetic. You are a hyprocrite and you know it.[/QUOTE]
You and I aren't getting through to each other. Before this gets any worse, let's just end it right here. You genuinely don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Perhaps you're right, I don't illustrate and articulate my points as well I should, at least not your eyes, but I will say this. My intentions are in no way nefarious, nor am I being hypocritical. Tried to plead my case to you enough times before, as you have to me, and we just don't understand each other.

Let's simply leave it that. I don't understand you, so I can't call you a hypocrite. You don't understand me, same applies. This is done.

Apr 28, 2005
Maryland
I, like many others, owned GTA III, VC, and SA for the PS2 and not once did I ever complain about the visuals. I put in over 90 hours for each. GTA IV won't be any different. I'm just too big of a GTA fanboy to really care about graphics.

Now, somebody wake me when it's April 29th.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]It's not about me, it's about the group mentality in general, but sure. I'm speaking out about those who would do it to anybody, but yeah, gimme a sec.

On second thought, I don't want to put anybody in particular on blast here. I'll PM you.[/quote]
I'm not asking to get someone in trouble, I'm just interested to see what you consider a chastising.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]You and I aren't getting through to each other. Before this gets any worse, let's just end it right here. You genuinely don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Perhaps you're right, I don't illustrate and articulate my points as well I should, at least not your eyes, but I will say this. My intentions are in no way nefarious, nor am I being hypocritical. Tried to plead my case to you enough times before, as you have to me, and we just don't understand each other.

Let's simply leave it that. I don't understand you, so I can't call you a hypocrite. You don't understand me, same applies. This is done.[/quote]

Pfft. I'm dropping it alright but you're still a hypocrite either way. I understand you completely. I didn't earlier this morning but you've made yourself pretty **** clear now. If your argument was to explain to people that we can co-exist with multiple opinions then why didn't you just write about that? You didn't put that in your post at all. The intent of your entire post was to sway the views of the elitists into agreement that graphics matter and that's the bottom line. Whether you want to admit it or not that was your intent. It failed. I'm sorry.

oleoleole

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]You and I aren't getting through to each other. Before this gets any worse, let's just end it right here. You genuinely don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Let's simply leave it that. I don't understand you, so I can't call you a hypocrite. You don't understand me, same applies. This is done.[/quote]

Your both allowed to have different opinions on gameplay before graphics or vice versa there is nothing wrong with it.Personally i will buy G.T.A even if the graphics are average for the gameplay but that is my opinion and i don't want to force onto anyone else.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]Pfft. I'm dropping it alright but you're still a hypocrite either way. I understand you completely. I didn't earlier this morning but you've made yourself pretty **** clear now. If your argument was to explain to people that we can co-exist with multiple opinions then why didn't you just write about that? You didn't put that in your post at all. The intent of your entire post was to sway the views of the elitists into agreement that graphics matter and that's the bottom line. Whether you want to admit it or not that was your intent. It failed. I'm sorry.[/QUOTE]
You know, you're right. I went too far. I shouldn't have included the top four or five portions in the first place, that was purely out of frustration. Not saying that makes it right, but that's what it was rooted in. There was a lot of hyperbole in there, but to emphasize my point, but anyway, that's that.

skarekrow

Master Poster
Jun 13, 2006
www.3dbuzz.com
I put yes, the graphics will stop me from buying the game, but in reality, its the game play that is going to stop me from buying the game.

Ill get into that in a minute, first, I want to touch on something that I believe that you are over looking. Two generations ago GTA was practically the first underground to make it big. The graphics sucked but the game play was there. Controversial and extremely fun.

Gta 2 was about the same, just an expansion, so theres really no need go into the following the games. However, GTA 3 set the standards for the games that we would be playing on that generation of consoles. Honestly, GTA 3 was one of the most spectacular things that I had ever seen on a console.

My point is that they screwed themselves last generation by taking such a leap because it was expected again this generation and it didnt happen. The graphics throughout the series with games such as Vice City and San Andreas wasnt that big of a deal, they had pretty much proved themselves on the ps2 and xbox... So when SA didnt look leaps and bounds above the others, it was understandable, because they pretty much did all they could with their engine.
This generation is providing them with tools that would allow them to take another leap and set another standard and yet it didnt happen. In my opinion, I believe that is why everyone harps on the graphics like they do.

The reason why I will not be buying it is because after playing so many installments of GTA, its become boring to me. The games only real point is mindless killing.. The plot sucks, the missions are worthless and pretty much, if you played one GTA, youve played them all.
The game itself is not exciting, its just basically a time killer.
I would rather have something that draws me into the story and keeps me on the edge of my seat. I need new gameplay mechanics rather than the same old get a gun, steal a car, kill everyone crap that is GTA.

Of course thats just my opinion and thoughts on the subject.

ToonAssassin

!! Watch Your Step !!
Oct 26, 2007
Watching YOUR step !
[QUOTE="SillyHatMafia, post: 0]i agree that its not 100 percent either way but... I am the only one that thinks GTAIV looks decent?:p[/quote]

I'm with you my friend, i think it looks exactly as it should, if i wanted realism i would buy the getaway ! (not that i ever would) the package as a whole is what attracts me to GTA not the the hope that the graphics will be the best ever in a console game.

i would be disappointed if it looked any different GTA is GTA and that's why i love it, so the answer is YES i love the way it looks thanks :) and if it looks as good and smooth online too i'll be very happy indeed.

Sep 5, 2006
Skarekrow, for me though, I think a big selling point of 4 is the Euphoria Engine. I've been clamoring for that little piece of tech to be included in a game since '06.

I think R* never fails to introduce some cool features into the games with each successive installment, I thought VC was a pretty big jump compared to 3. Every single thing I wanted to do in 3, I was able to do in VC, so I was extremely happy with the results.

The graphics won't stop me from buying the game, I just don't prefer the way they look is all.

ToonAssassin

!! Watch Your Step !!
Oct 26, 2007
Watching YOUR step !
[QUOTE="skarekrow, post: 0]I put yes, the graphics will stop me from buying the game, but in reality, its the game play that is going to stop me from buying the game.

Ill get into that in a minute, first, I want to touch on something that I believe that you are over looking. Two generations ago GTA was practically the first underground to make it big. The graphics sucked but the game play was there. Controversial and extremely fun.

Gta 2 was about the same, just an expansion, so theres really no need go into the following the games. However, GTA 3 set the standards for the games that we would be playing on that generation of consoles. Honestly, GTA 3 was one of the most spectacular things that I had ever seen on a console.

My point is that they screwed themselves last generation by taking such a leap because it was expected again this generation and it didnt happen. The graphics throughout the series with games such as Vice City and San Andreas wasnt that big of a deal, they had pretty much proved themselves on the ps2 and xbox... So when SA didnt look leaps and bounds above the others, it was understandable, because they pretty much did all they could with their engine.
This generation is providing them with tools that would allow them to take another leap and set another standard and yet it didnt happen. In my opinion, I believe that is why everyone harps on the graphics like they do.

The reason why I will not be buying it is because after playing so many installments of GTA, its become boring to me. The games only real point is mindless killing.. The plot sucks, the missions are worthless and pretty much, if you played one GTA, youve played them all.
The game itself is not exciting, its just basically a time killer.
I would rather have something that draws me into the story and keeps me on the edge of my seat. I need new gameplay mechanics rather than the same old get a gun, steal a car, kill everyone crap that is GTA.

Of course thats just my opinion and thoughts on the subject.[/quote]

Are you seriously saying that both the graphics AND gameplay are not up to your standards??? i agree to an extent about wanting new gameplay experiences, i like to pick different styles of game too, but are you really not going to get GTA4 just because they have already pretty much perfected the game style they created? it's not like we're talking about NFS or MoH here, this game will be worth the price for the radio and mini games alone and there is so much more to it than that, plus online this time too. As i said, i understand where you are coming from to an extent but are you REALLY not getting it for the reasons you stated?

skarekrow

Master Poster
Jun 13, 2006
www.3dbuzz.com
[QUOTE="ToonAssassin, post: 0]Are you seriously saying that both the graphics AND gameplay are not up to your standards??? i agree to an extent about wanting new gameplay experiences, i like to pick different styles of game too, but are you really not going to get GTA4 just because they have already pretty much perfected the game style they created? it's not like we're talking about NFS or MoH here, this game will be worth the price for the radio and mini games alone and there is so much more to it than that, plus online this time too. As i said, i understand where you are coming from to an extent but are you REALLY not getting it for the reasons you stated?[/quote]

I think you missed my point. Me not getting the game has nothing to do with graphics, but rather the gameplay. Prototype doesnt look all that spectacular in the Visuals department, but it will more than likely be my multiplatform game of the year simply because while it has a GTA aspect, it also adds new elements.
Im not getting GTA because i have never completed a game due to the missions being boring, the story not being interesting and basically, I couldnt walk down the block without someone pissing me off so I would just end up going on yet another mindless killing spree... for hours and hours on end.
So, Then I buy Vice City... Try to beat the missions, same thing, I just up going on mindless killing sprees for hours on end. Move on to SA... Now im working out and eating in between my killing spree.... Its pretty much all the same and I think ive just grown out of it. I need something more involving, something with a Spine and GTA just doesnt give that to me.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="skarekrow, post: 0]I think you missed my point. Me not getting the game has nothing to do with graphics, but rather the gameplay. Prototype doesnt look all that spectacular in the Visuals department, but it will more than likely be my multiplatform game of the year simply because while it has a GTA aspect, it also adds new elements.
Im not getting GTA because i have never completed a game due to the missions being boring, the story not being interesting and basically, I couldnt walk down the block without someone pissing me off so I would just end up going on yet another mindless killing spree... for hours and hours on end.
So, Then I buy Vice City... Try to beat the missions, same thing, I just up going on mindless killing sprees for hours on end. Move on to SA... Now im working out and eating in between my killing spree.... Its pretty much all the same and I think ive just grown out of it. I need something more involving, something with a Spine and GTA just doesnt give that to me.[/quote]
So you've played GTA IV then?