This needs to be addressed, and many of you need to hear it. Regarding GTA 4.

Strudel

Forum Elder
Sep 2, 2007
England, UK
www.playfire.com
1. the graphics are very good in GTA4
2. the gameplay is going to be great and you know it
3. graphics are important up to extant that it tricks the mind suitably.
4. You compare GTA4 to CoD4, the best game visually to date, have you not noticed how every other game looks rubbish in comparison to CoD4?
5. If you don't think the game is good enough for you, don't buy it

Zaxtor99

Superior Member
Nov 14, 2006
Boise, ID
Lord Arklon -

You did almost nothing but bash people who said that graphics didn't matter so much as gameplay in your original post here. You almost mocked them for saying that graphics didn't matter much.

..And now after your poll went entirely the opposite way that you expected it to go, you act like you're all cool and are even voting on your poll with the majority here who agree that they will buy GTA4 regardless of the graphics because it looks "fun as hell".

Yes, I'm sure you did vote with the majority in your own poll... AFTER waiting and seeing that it was swinging completely the opposite of how you originally suspected it would.

Look, I don't mind what you think about GTA4, and I don't care how important you personally think graphics are to any given game. What ruffles my feathers here is how you bash people so harshly in your OP and then AGREE with them when you find your self way, way outnumbered. If you are going to have such an opinion and make a super long post as you did here with your OP, then atleast have the nuts to stand by what you say. Your contradictions against yourself are very hypocritical. Be a man and stand firm with your beliefs, and not come on here just trying to be "Mr Popular" by swaying in the wind like a stream of pee from a lil' boy in a tornado.

- Zaxx

Jul 24, 2007
Sorry did i miss some major uproar about gtas gfxs i didint think ppl cared so much about this stuff to make ruckus over a game thats not even out yet.

Sep 7, 2007
I love how people say **** like, don't "hide behind your gameplay shield"...total bull ****. GTA games have always had borderline ****ty graphics and awesome, fun, addicting game play. Where the **** have you been for the last however many years that you seemed to miss this? Think of all the other games that didn't look jaw dropping yet the gameplay was what kept the game going....and GTA4 actually does look pretty good, if you have seen the latest screen shots. Sure it's not the final product, but I believe a few people might be surprised at the graphics, considering the scope of this entire game.

But it's simple...don't ****ing buy the game if you don't like...especially for something as 'tarded as the graphics complaint. Easy? Buy it if you want....but if you're not gonna buy it and just complain about it...then go complain to yo moms homeboy cause I don't want to hear that **** anymore than she does. ****, graphics aren't everything...and unless you started playing video games yesterday than you should already know this. Geeze :rolleyes:

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Ku16610, post: 0]Sorry did i miss some major uproar about gtas gfxs i didint think ppl cared so much about this stuff to make ruckus over a game thats not even out yet.[/quote]

Yeah, you missed a huge argument about it that has spanned over the course of two days. But it's pretty much squashed now as you can tell by looking at the poll...

skarekrow

Master Poster
Jun 13, 2006
www.3dbuzz.com
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]So you've played GTA IV then?[/quote]

Nope, But ive played every other installment and they are all pretty much the same, so in essence, I suppose I have... but with a different name. :DD

Zaxtor99

Superior Member
Nov 14, 2006
Boise, ID
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]Yeah, you missed a huge argument about it that has spanned over the course of two days. But it's pretty much squashed now as you can tell by looking at the poll...[/quote]

Absolutely. And I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling that the 12 people who voted that they won't buy this game because of the lame graphics is coming mostly from like one person who has made like 10 different names on these boards and just keeps voting "Yes graphics will ruin it, and I wont buy the game". LoL. And IF that is the case, I wonder who would do such a thing??? ;-)

- Zaxx

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[QUOTE="kaelell, post: 0]please do not troll. ~rikwakefield[/quote]
eh?someone voicing thier opinion is trolling now?do you even know what the word troll means?

the GTA series have never been about graphics,and if it had the most updated graphics the game would run at 5-10 FPS,and id rather have reduced graphics then slow gameplay.

Apr 1, 2007
Everyone here that is complaining about the graphics, should stop because of the simple fact that they are still going to get the game.
And the graphics are fine for the magnitude of the game.

Donmega88

Superior Member
Sep 26, 2007
Nope, game looks fun regardless.

If you worry too much about the graphics, then you obviously never played a gta game before, or maybe you never like them but with the next gen console you expect way more.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Zaxtor99, post: 0]I have this strange feeling that the 12 people who voted that they won't buy this game because of the lame graphics is coming mostly from like one person who has made like 10 different names on these boards and just keeps voting "Yes graphics will ruin it, and I wont buy the game"[/quote]

LOL!!! That's sad. Whoever would do that should seriously consider getting a life. It was probably the guy who started the thread. He did write a long 10 page essay on why graphics are important and then pretty much got slapped in the face by the poll. He was probably just releasing a little anger so he voted 11 times on different names :D

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
Obviously Lord Arklon will pm what I posted in another thread, it bothers him and it just pisses him off on what I wrote. It's understandable after I finally re-read what I posted, I can understand how that will piss someone off. When I read it I was really harsh on what I said and I apologize if I came off...as...some know it all. it wasn't my intention but I can tell it sparked something in him that probably ticked him off, it wasn't my intention to do that LOL.

Jul 22, 2007
I completely agree with your point. Accepting mediocrity is flaw all too common in the video game industry these days. The Madden series is the penultimate example of a mediocre series that manages to sell millions of copies, simply because EA owns the NFL rights.

Rockstar has absolutely no excuse for graphics that bad, when many other games look exceedingly better. I'm not talking LAIR, where the genre is completely different, I'm talking the Getaway. Compared to the Getaway, GTAIV looks like a PS2 game on beefed up hardware. Rockstar has no excuse, especially when a game sitting right next to it is having much better results.

In my opinion, Rockstar decided to save a few bucks in development costs and cut the quality of the graphics and lessened development time so they could push it out the door sooner.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="SuperiorIntellect, post: 0]I completely agree with your point. Accepting mediocrity is flaw all too common in the video game industry these days. The Madden series is the penultimate example of a mediocre series that manages to sell millions of copies, simply because EA owns the NFL rights.

Rockstar has absolutely no excuse for graphics that bad, when many other games look exceedingly better. I'm not talking LAIR, where the genre is completely different, I'm talking the Getaway. Compared to the Getaway, GTAIV looks like a PS2 game on beefed up hardware. Rockstar has no excuse, especially when a game sitting right next to it is having much better results.

In my opinion, Rockstar decided to save a few bucks in development costs and cut the quality of the graphics and lessened development time so they could push it out the door sooner.[/quote]

Well, that plan failed because they had to delay the game anyway so I don't think that's the case.

Jul 14, 2007
Im glad you caught the hypocrisy in it. I do think you did read a little to far into it at the beginning there, although I did still catch your point (im sure some people didnt).

For me personally, if I had to compromise graphics or gameplay for the other, id rather they take just a bit from the graphics. However I agree with just about all you have said, with less feeling. I can play games with lacking graphics (takes effort, I still groan as my eyes twitch from pain for a few but it passes), but I will always wish they looked better. Hell, I still pop in UT 99. Sometimes I hit up PS1 games... though its usually for story, but I certainitly wouldnt bother with them if the gameplay sucked.

So I agree to a lesser extent. I will always play a game with better graphics and gameplay (as many would im sure) over one lacking either, but it will never stop me from enjoying the 'gimped' games. I should note though that I will never contribute my money to any title that I feel was way under par with graphics or gameplay and didnt have to be.

PS... Ill take that cookie now kaelell. Have one for yourself and read it, it wont hurt.

Jul 14, 2007
Wow, after reading some comments to you... I think I can say a large amount of people didnt get what you were saying (or what I got at least, I could be off). They didnt have to act like children about it though.

First and formost, the people saying these (this) threads dont matter... What? Why did you even bother clicking the thread topic, and further reply? Why are you even here, when threads like this pop up all the time? Check yourselves. Sorry, a personal gripe of mine.

Second, I think the greater point Lord Arklon is trying to make is how all of a sudden now graphics dont matter. But yesterday on such and such thread about such and such game, they were ranting how the game is below par cause the graphics suck... they wont buy the game. If anything is to truly be recieved from the poll, its to assert his point how people are saying they dont matter (cause its R*). But lets take a moment, track these peoples comments, and see just how many times graphics DID indeed matter.

Or at least thats the point I got from it all.

Jun 4, 2007
I thought the graphics could be a little better regardless of their art style, but I'm still going to play it.

They've always been fun to play since gta3 dropped, imo.

Now if the graphics for the ps3 exclusive R* are working on isn't better than this, I will be pissed. I'll more than likely still play it though.:lol: That's if it's fun ya know?

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Immortal_cries, post: 0]Wow, after reading some comments to you... I think I can say a large amount of people didnt get what you were saying (or what I got at least, I could be off). They didnt have to act like children about it though.

First and formost, the people saying these (this) threads dont matter... What? Why did you even bother clicking the thread topic, and further reply? Why are you even here, when threads like this pop up all the time? Check yourselves. Sorry, a personal gripe of mine.

Second, I think the greater point Lord Arklon is trying to make is how all of a sudden now graphics dont matter. But yesterday on such and such thread about such and such game, they were ranting how the game is below par cause the graphics suck... they wont buy the game. If anything is to truly be recieved from the poll, its to assert his point how people are saying they dont matter (cause its R*). But lets take a moment, track these peoples comments, and see just how many times graphics DID indeed matter.

Or at least thats the point I got from it all.[/quote]

Well, you're just about the only that got that message out his post. For the record, the people who voted that the graphics wouldn't stop them from buying the game today mostly never said that they wouldn't buy the game b/c of the GFX. I was in just about every one of those GTA threads yesterday and the majority of the people we're complaining simply saying the graphics could be better but I don't recall ANY of them saying they wouldn't buy the game because of this. I personally don't feel that's the message he was trying to convey and I know i'm not alone because others have expressed similar opinions about his 'rant'. As a matter of fact (and I'm not trying to start an argument with you) Arklon even says to me earlier in this thread that the point of the post was actually to get people to understand the co-existence of opinions and not to call folks' bluff on whether they think GFX matter or not. So you actually got a completely different view of what he claimed his to be. In all actuality, if either one of those views we're in his interest to convey he would have plainly stated them just as he plainly stated that purists we're wrong to believe GFX didn't matter. However, he did not do that. It wasn't until after the poll started snowballing out of his favor that he changed the message behind his post. Now, I could agree with your point of view (Immortal) 100%... if that's what was actually going on in these threads, but it's not.

Jul 14, 2007
Retsimco, you may just be right, haha. But I didnt mean these people here claiming the graphics for GTA4 are fine were saying they wernt 'good enough' before... I mean with other games aside from this one. Like R* can be dismissed in their eyes in the graphical department while other games must raise that same bar to even be considered. I dont exactly blame people for this either. I do know a few people in the past have said they wont get this game because the graphics wernt that great, but we both... no, im sure most if not all of us know... they will buy the game regardless (im sure it was speaking out of defense and hope R* would listen and work on it). But Lord Arklon mentions this as well, though only briefly. I should probably reread it, but I believe he says basically (in my words) that if thats how people feel, they should just say it. I think its another point he was trying to make with how people wont give an argument, but downplay the game outright, or justify it witout basis.

Ill have to come back when I get the chance, im insanely tired. Im just hoping I wont reread it and see how i was missing the more vital points, lol. Arklon, looking forward to your input for clairity. Cause the more I think about it, the less it appears to be GTA4 related... but more of the cause for your overflow.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]Indeed, I was thinking the same thing.

Honestly, I can't, nor do will I expect people to read all of that, but that's partly why I put it into categories, so maybe someone would read bits and pieces and get a clue. At the very least, the heart of my message lies at the conclusion.

In any case, I'm glad there's been so much participation in the poll.

Surely some of the people who voted No don't like the graphics, yet they're still going to get the game.

And out the window goes all the

"You're a graphics whore"

"Don't get the game if you don't like the graphics"

and many of the other things that GTA zealots like to perpetuate.

We're all fans of gaming, and in particular, this game, folks. Some of us simply are not pleased with one aspect of the game. It's obvious though, that most us still want this game, so please, if you can't at least come to grips with a differing opinion, can you at least find solace in the fact that the people you're chastising still want the game?[/quote]

I don't think there is anything wrong with liking games for only one reason. You are spending money on it and it is up to you to decide what you enjoy or not. Just because some faceless crowd wants to attack others on their opinions doesn't make your opinion any less valid.

I personally haven't been upset at the graphics I have seen because IMO they are leaps an bounds over the last GTA I have played. My main concern is the story. If it is compelling and fast moving enough I might actually enjoy this game. The previous titles have only grabbed my attention for a very short period of time.

Oct 28, 2007
Lord Arklon.you post was a bit short but i still couldn't read 5% of it,Seriously who cares about graphics enough to read 1/10 of that.As long as it,s 60 fps and not looking inferior to ps2 games it,s alright.

Pipes75

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2008
Judging by the poll, almost everyone still wants to get gta IV! So why the pointless arguing! Get the game or don't, its simple. I will be getting it!

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
Quite frank;y, I don't really care. I do understand the importance of graphics, in terms of appeal. I have seen a few on here (and elsewhere)and say upon seeing a screenshot of a game for the first time, that they'll try it (solely due to the graphics being good).

However, with a game like GTA4, and with what I have heard and seen about the gameplay, it won't matter much to me or many others. As is apparent in the poll results.

Yes it would be nice, yes it would be good to get 'better' graphics with the gameplay, but we truly will never know what they could've done if they were solely working on a PS3 version with BR and standard HDD. Knowing R*, they're one of very few 3rd parties that actually would try and utilize to the fullest of BR and HDD capacity.