This needs to be addressed, and many of you need to hear it. Regarding GTA 4.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
That was a good read and intelligently written. I thought the screenshots were bad but the gameplay video from Youtube that somebody posted in another thread looked pretty good actually. I will be buying this game. The respect for each other's opinions is essential to maintaining a good atmosphere within the forums. Thats something all of us need to remember myself included.

Forcedme

Super Elite
Oct 19, 2007
Why the hell did you use gargantuan sized font? I read halfway through before quitting. Please use decently sized font if you plan to write such an extensive article. However, up to what I did read, you made clear and interesting points, but it seems more people here were eager just to jump on the offense rather than read anything you typed. Of course...I'm in that boat as well, and I blame the font.

Dec 3, 2007
California
you cant compare to what you encountered on the ps2 and ps3 and xbox 360 are next greneration so you expect next generation graphics and gameplay and you want a good game not lopsisded good cameplay no visuals then you cant enjoy it but still i was expectin killa graphics for GTAIV

danlisa

Apprentice
Feb 22, 2007
www.subsim.com
I voted - Nope, game looks fun regardless.

Here's my reasoning and infact, it applies to all game purchases I make.

Let me set an example:

Ratchet & Clank: I have never played a previous version of this game, so I didn't know what the gameplay/storyline was like. In this respect, the graphics/presentation of the PS3 version sold me. I'm glad I did. Awesome

Uncharted: Again, not my choice of game. I have never purchased a game similar to it (i.e Tomb Raider) but the graphics sold me. I'm now a huge fan of this genre thanks to the initial selling point for me.

GTA: This game is in a different category for me. I have purchased/played every version of this game and I will categorically state that even if GTA 4 had PS2 graphics, I would still buy it. Why? Because of the storyline, the immersion but more importantly, the open world and infinite possibilities that this game brings to the user. While I'll concede that there should be a huge improvement in graphics with any next gen production, this can quite easily (in my mind) be sacrificed, in part, to ensure enjoyment and longevity in a title. I mean, honestly, how many people will be posting complaints that GTA 4 is too short.

This game has always been about immersion, longevity & replayability and if that comes with (in some peoples view) below par graphics but keeps me playing over & over again it's a 10/10 in my book.

I can't wait, day 1 purchase for me.

Edit - If GFX were so important, why is Riff doing so well.:)

Sep 26, 2006
Don't know if you addressed this in your article there.... - -

But I'm satisfied with the graphics, because I would much rather R* focus on the multitude of other factors that make up the game, instead of trying to visually impress forum-goers.
This is a matter of priority and resource, and I simply agree with Rockstar's development staff that it is much better to focus on things like - the multitude of game play mechanics, animations, physics, vast amount of dialog, online play, innovation, attention to detail within the world, AI, etc. etc. - then it is to focus on impressing people with pretty pictures.

The three factors that bog down understanding the most on this issue are ---
1. People don't understand Rockstar's objectives and "thesis statement" for the game.
2. They can't visualize how much time and effort it takes to achieve what R* is striving for.
3. They can't visualize what it would be like to actually play the game.

Taking all of this into account, there is of course a naturalize tendency for people on the interweb, especially on this forum, to analyze the graphics to death without comprehending the game in all of its totality.

Yes, I'm dismissing harsh critics of the game's graphics here. Go away. :lol:

Props to the OP though for intelligently presenting the minority/opposing view.
Second, I think the greater point Lord Arklon is trying to make is how all of a sudden now graphics dont matter. But yesterday on such and such thread about such and such game, they were ranting how the game is below par cause the graphics suck...
Its game-centric discussion. People expect shooters and racers to look much better it is much easier for the devs to accomplish. Sand box games, especially epic ones like GTA, are a completely different ball game. It is only logical for people to hold games in radically different genres to different standards.

Kamahl

Forum Elder
Sep 29, 2006
I still play GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas and have fun with them, doesnt matter if graphics arent great... IV offers more and i'm sure i'll have fun with it so there's no reason not to buy it, i'd still buy it even if the graphics were the same as SA

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Immortal_cries, post: 0]Wow, after reading some comments to you... I think I can say a large amount of people didnt get what you were saying (or what I got at least, I could be off). They didnt have to act like children about it though.

First and formost, the people saying these (this) threads dont matter... What? Why did you even bother clicking the thread topic, and further reply? Why are you even here, when threads like this pop up all the time? Check yourselves. Sorry, a personal gripe of mine.

Second, I think the greater point Lord Arklon is trying to make is how all of a sudden now graphics dont matter. But yesterday on such and such thread about such and such game, they were ranting how the game is below par cause the graphics suck... they wont buy the game. If anything is to truly be recieved from the poll, its to assert his point how people are saying they dont matter (cause its R*). But lets take a moment, track these peoples comments, and see just how many times graphics DID indeed matter.

Or at least thats the point I got from it all.[/quote]

[QUOTE="Immortal_cries, post: 0]Retsimco, you may just be right, haha. But I didnt mean these people here claiming the graphics for GTA4 are fine were saying they wernt 'good enough' before... I mean with other games aside from this one. Like R* can be dismissed in their eyes in the graphical department while other games must raise that same bar to even be considered. I dont exactly blame people for this either. I do know a few people in the past have said they wont get this game because the graphics wernt that great, but we both... no, im sure most if not all of us know... they will buy the game regardless (im sure it was speaking out of defense and hope R* would listen and work on it). But Lord Arklon mentions this as well, though only briefly. I should probably reread it, but I believe he says basically (in my words) that if thats how people feel, they should just say it. I think its another point he was trying to make with how people wont give an argument, but downplay the game outright, or justify it witout basis.

Ill have to come back when I get the chance, im insanely tired. Im just hoping I wont reread it and see how i was missing the more vital points, lol. Arklon, looking forward to your input for clairity. Cause the more I think about it, the less it appears to be GTA4 related... but more of the cause for your overflow.[/quote]
I think no one is saying that graphics don't matter. It's just that it is unfair to take a certain rule and apply it to all and every game you see. Because there are different circumstances and factors for each and every game, that each person or consumer bases and forms their opinions around.

In the end, graphics do matter, but at the same time, you take into account a developer's 'pedigree' and look out for different things, which make graphics secondary to you, for that particular title.

Jan 14, 2008
GTA IV's graphics do not impress me at all. Like I said in another post the gameplay is going to have to be astronomically good for me to overlook the last gen graphics. I better be able to do some crazy **** I've never seen before in a video game. But since this is Grand Theft Auto, I'm 90% positive that the gameplay will be impressive.

My biggest concern with this game is that the devs just took GTA III and slapped on a new story with slightly updated graphics and online multiplayer. What made GTA III so awesome was the innovation. I hope Rockstar didn't forget that.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Samurai Sushi, post: 0]GTA IV's graphics do not impress me at all. Like I said in another post the gameplay is going to have to be astronomically good for me to overlook the last gen graphics. I better be able to do some crazy **** I've never seen before in a video game. But since this is Grand Theft Auto, I'm 90% positive that the gameplay will be impressive.

My biggest concern with this game is that the devs just took GTA III and slapped on a new story with slightly updated graphics and online multiplayer. What made GTA III so awesome was the innovation. I hope Rockstar didn't forget that.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Hopefully Rockstar isnt just letting the title GTA sell the game rather than innovation.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 0]Good point. Hopefully Rockstar isnt just letting the title GTA sell the game rather than innovation.[/quote]

Rockstar screams innovation! Have you read what the targeting system is going to be like? How the computers in the game work? Hell, how they're manipulating the Euphoria engine? Innovation at it's finest imo. GTAIV is going to be an amazing game.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="retsimco, post: 0]Rockstar screams innovation! Have you read what the targeting system is going to be like? How the computers in the game work? Hell, how they're manipulating the Euphoria engine? Innovation at it's finest imo. GTAIV is going to be an amazing game.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Can you fill me in on the shooting system? And yeah I forgot about the working computers.

Nov 1, 2007
I think the game is lookin great, true the graphics arnt amazing, but at least they havn't tried to make everything ultra shiny like many releases that have gone for realism like cod4(looks weird). LOLhard at the video on official site for the irish/german bar! great to see the humour has stayed in the series

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
You are seriously taking this far beyond just mere opinion. Now you seem to be talking it personal that people still like GTA despite the fact that you seem not to. People are going to buy GTA4 regardless of what it looks like because they enjoyed playing it in the past, new visuals as well as new gameplay features are only going to make it more interesting to the people who liked it before.

You said something before about how it's not a problem to trash a game like Kane and Lynch but that's because it isnt a franchise that has earned a fanbase that respects the game and is willing to forgive a few graphical hangups as long as it delivers an enjoyable game.

Let this vendetta go, the poll already shows more than twice as many people would buy the game despite your perception of poor graphics quality.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
Not to start any kind of flame war or anything but I wonder how the GTA IV pre-orders for PS3 are stacking up against the 360 orders... I thought Amazon had a graph on the site tracking the orders but I don't see it anymore.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 0]Thankyou for that info. I'm giving you some well deserved rep for that.[/quote]

No problem at all. Thanks for the rep!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I didn't notice the post until afterwards.

Shadowfyre

Super Elite
Jun 26, 2007
I bought the PS3 because I wanted better graphics. If I wanted only improved gameplay I would have stuck with the PS2 which has thousands of games to choose from.

retsimco

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2007
[QUOTE="Shadowfyre, post: 0]I bought the PS3 because I wanted better graphics. If I wanted only improved gameplay I would have stuck with the PS2 which has thousands of games to choose from.[/quote]

Well, i could understand that. But what about when the PS2 becomes obsolete? Would you continue to search on EBay and through bargain bins just to play PS2? Or would you upgrade to the PS3 to stay current?

illusionstj

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2005
Forget the game. I think you're taking it too personal what other people say when you yourself supposedly could care less. If you did care less about their opinion you wouldn't have taken the time to write an essay about it. So they're hypocrites, let them say what they want and you say what you want. We move on. You aren't even face to face with these people.

On towards the game. In terms of graphics it's a half step up from it's PS2 predecessors, so at least they have that. Hopefully they're a full 2 steps up in terms of gameplay. That way they can feel like the game is next gen. I personally don't want the game. If you're ever going to dish out negative comments about anything, expect people to return fire. That's just the way the world is.

Jan 4, 2006
WATCH THE GAME IN ACTION. IE VIDEOS.

The screenshots are all bad, and I'd suspect that has to do with some sort of filter being used in the lighting effects.

WATCH THE GOD**** VIDEOS PLEASE.

GTA's graphics are superb in all of the trailers... and official site trailers...

you can view the trailers at www.gta4.tv

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
Great read Lord Arklon! I agree completely with your point of view and agree completely that people can't have it both ways. I also agree with the point that everyone has an opinion and that everyone's opinion should be respect regardless if it agrees with you or not.

I myself voted no. I believe that GTA:IV's graphics are crappy but it still won't stop me from buying it. I believe that there is still fun to be had. I cannot say the same thing about other games though. *cough* Turok! *cough*

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I think people that care about just graphics when it comes to GTA are just idiots. Since when has the graphics of GTA hampered the gameplay? I'd be fine with San Andreas graphics and just the new features added.

Jan 4, 2006
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 0]I think people that care about just graphics when it comes to GTA are just idiots. Since when has the graphics of GTA hampered the gameplay? I'd be fine with San Andreas graphics and just the new features added.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. well i'm not willing to go that far.. especially since GTAIV is gonna be smaller than GTA-Sanandreas was.

B

Burtybeetle

Anyone bitching about GTA's graphics is a moron. Period.

Sure it's not the best looking game out there, but it's miles ahead of what GTA3->SA looked like.

Regardless, the sheer size and scale of the world map makes your desires technically infeasible. What do you want? 1TB of compressed textures? On a dual-layer DVD? And then you're going to stream it in real-time?

Not on your life.

phalanges

Dedicated Member
Feb 18, 2007
Wow...you have a lot of time on your hand. Anywho, the graphics are pretty decent. As long as they keep the jaggies to the minimum, I'm a happy guy.If you go in expecting Gears/Uncharted/Crysis graphics you'll be disappointed.