To anyone who's seen Transformers 3 in 3D - How is it?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
My roommate and I are seeing this tonight, but we're stuck between 3D and Non-3D of the movie due to disappointments in the past (Hi Thor, you bitch). Reviews I have read led me to believe the 3D is done as well, if not better than Avatar's. I enjoyed Avatar's quite a bit.

Anyway I'm letting PSU help :D Thoughts?

PS: Don't care about the plot or anything. I only want to know how the 3D is. Spoilers piss me off a lot so I'm reporting anyone who tries to tell me if the story was good or bad, or any other plot-centric details. I only want to know if the 3D will be worth the extra $3.

Oh yea, thanks. :)

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I haven't seen it, but Ownzilla (old member who used to post here) posted on his Facebook that paying the extra money to see it in 3D just isn't worth it. He said the movie was good, and would see it again, but it's not worthy of forking out extra cash just to see a Transformer flying at you.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
I saw it in 3D and it was well worth it. There are some amazing scenes where it feels like you're literally there with them. Just get a decent seat at the back. I'd suggest watching it in IMAX 3D to get the best 3D experience as opposed to a regular screen or ULTRAVX.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
It has its moments, but for a movie that long and how much they boasted the 3D I wasn't impressed. Think I'm becoming immune to 3D. But hey, I'll gladly save some money, go to the cheaper shows and enjoy (or hate) a movie just the same.

I was gonna hit up the IMAX 3D version of Harry Potter Part 2, but I'm not sure I'll bother with the 3D. Plus I think it was post-converted, haven't heard anything about it being natively shot.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
It's really good. One of the more impressive 3D showings I have seen. And I somehow end up seeing many movies in 3D at the movie theater (family outings and such). Many of the action scenes lent themselves to the 3D very well. I'm convinced 3D is only tolerable when it isn't post-processed.

It's not anything I'd go out of my way for, though. Then again, that's just my opinion on 3D in general.

Last edited:

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
Every film that has 3D has post-processed 3D. Avatar, Tron: Legacy, and Transformers 3 all have it. Not just because they all have lots of CGI elements in post to contend with but also to tweak the 3D aspect after its shot.

(Coincidence that only blockbusters have 3D?)

The difference is they shoot the movie with 3D in mind.

Just to set the record straight...

Last edited:

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Oh my bad. Yeah, I was off on my understanding of things.

I guess I mean other movies like...Drive Angry or Sanctum. They had a much different quality in its 3D and it wasn't in a good way. Whatever creates that difference is what I was attempting to point out. But yeah, maybe it's just that the CGI is more flexible for 3D processing but I always felt there was more to it than that.

S

SnowHawk

[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5597070]I haven't seen it, but Ownzilla (old member who used to post here) posted on his Facebook that paying the extra money to see it in 3D just isn't worth it. He said the movie was good, and would see it again, but it's not worthy of forking out extra cash just to see a Transformer flying at you.[/QUOTE]

He didn't want to know if the movie was good, just the 3D.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
Read the part before the bolded where it states it isn't worth paying extra to see it in 3D.

Thank you, shut up.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
ive heard some very good things about the transformers 3d, its meant to be one of the better deploments of 3d

Last edited:

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5597234]Oh my bad. Yeah, I was off on my understanding of things.

I guess I mean other movies like...Drive Angry or Sanctum. They had a much different quality in its 3D and it wasn't in a good way. Whatever creates that difference is what I was attempting to point out. But yeah, maybe it's just that the CGI is more flexible for 3D processing but I always felt there was more to it than that.[/QUOTE]I realized as I was typing my post, it was a technicality. Your actually still right in the big picture. A lot of these movie like Pirates 4 just hand over their movie to a 3D post-convert house and then don't see it again till its released. I remember the Narnia 3 director saying he was never a part of the movie's 3D process. The studio gave it to a 3D house and that was it.

Interesting that you bring up Sanctum, I heard the 3D was good. I mean Cameron was the damn producer on it lol. Like I said though, I didn't see it so the 3D may have sucked for all I know.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5597238]Read the part before the bolded where it states it isn't worth paying extra to see it in 3D.

Thank you, shut up.[/QUOTE]
It's okay, I politely ignored that part :3

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5597070]I haven't seen it, but Ownzilla (old member who used to post here) posted on his Facebook that paying the extra money to see it in 3D just isn't worth it. He said the movie was good, and would see it again, but it's not worthy of forking out extra cash just to see a Transformer flying at you.[/QUOTE]
Sorry Jaeger but your friend is full of it or cannot see 3D properly. It's far more than a Transformer flying at you. It was done better than Avatar's.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5597067]My roommate and I are seeing this tonight, but we're stuck between 3D and Non-3D of the movie due to disappointments in the past (Hi Thor, you bitch). Reviews I have read led me to believe the 3D is done as well, if not better than Avatar's. I enjoyed Avatar's quite a bit.

Anyway I'm letting PSU help :D Thoughts?

PS: Don't care about the plot or anything. I only want to know how the 3D is. Spoilers piss me off a lot so I'm reporting anyone who tries to tell me if the story was good or bad, or any other plot-centric details. I only want to know if the 3D will be worth the extra $3.

Oh yea, thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

Its shit. enough said.

C

CarlineDailly

Well I am really happy about the “Transformers Dark of the Moon” I was totally surprised with the 3D output. What I saw the trailer for the 1st time I thought this going to be just another version of the transformers. But after the getting the 3D experienced I was totally stunned. Superb display of advance graphic. Overall it’s a grate movie.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5598188]It wasn't, so apparently enough wasn't said.[/QUOTE]

Oh it is...in my humble movie viewing experience.. Still, goes to prove shit sells...lmfao.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
The 3D was done well, but I always find 3D to make the image a bit blurrier than usual, and I think that's because 3D accentuates the motion blur. I'm assuming that's what The Hobbit's 48 FPS is trying to remedy....

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5598647]The 3D was done well, but I always find 3D to make the image a bit blurrier than usual, and I think that's because 3D accentuates the motion blur. I'm assuming that's what The Hobbit's 48 FPS is trying to remedy....[/QUOTE]

I noticed that, found it rather annoying. I like having a crisp clear view.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Chesser19, post: 5603347]Seen it the other night (not in 3D :() and I really enjoyed it. Much better than the second film I find.[/QUOTE]
You definitely should have seen it in 3D. It's worth every penny of the extra $3 or so. I almost feels like it makes it worth the ticket price being so high.

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
Might go for another screening in 3D. I got shitty seats last time, but wow, I felt like I was in the movie in some scenes. When they para-glide off the airplane in first person view and at the beginning when the camera follows a fly-through the moon, those were just amazing experiences. Shame it's not the same on a 3DTV, unless it's as big as the IMAX.

Chesser19

Forum Elder
May 22, 2008
Canada Eh!
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5603348]You definitely should have seen it in 3D. It's worth every penny of the extra $3 or so. I almost feels like it makes it worth the ticket price being so high.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, there are no cinemas around here that play 3D movies. :( I'd have loved to see it in 3D... :(

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
[QUOTE="ex nihilo7, post: 5605310]I must be the only one here that doesn't have to pay extra to see movies in 3d.[/QUOTE]

you're a film critic? they usually get free movies

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 5605312]you're a film critic? they usually get free movies[/QUOTE]
No I take back what I said after looking at the movie ticket prices at my theater online. All the movies I've seen in 3D except toy story 3 where in the IMAX, so the price was the same. When I saw Toy Story 3 opening night they didn't charge more than normal price.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5598647]The 3D was done well, but I always find 3D to make the image a bit blurrier than usual, and I think that's because 3D accentuates the motion blur. I'm assuming that's what The Hobbit's 48 FPS is trying to remedy....[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because...for whatever reason, Transformers 3 had the clearest 3D I have seen yet.