Tomb Raider (2018)

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I'm gunna pass. It looks like your typical generic action movie rubbish, imho. Most recent trailer i saw whilst i was watching the Black Panther didn't do much to change my mind.

No doubt this is the spawn of the travesty that was the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot... and that lara, as a character in a story, was utter trash.

It seems so... cringe inducing.

Like the character is so damn bland they need to pick a song which flat out tries to scream her prevailing trait at your face...

I miss the old Lara. Rich ass mofo who did shit because she damn well pleased... like a female batman just with less bat, and equally dead parents.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Does anyone really care enough about the old Lara Croft movies to watch them again? I'm wondering because I certainly don't. They likely have their fair share of cringe-worthy moments and generic action movie rubbish. Just because it wasn't directed by Uwe Boll doesn't make it good or "pretty good for what it is" (the latter of which I wish people would stop saying and be honest that they didn't like something).

And guess what? The old Lara Croft was rated PG-13 too. Not that it should surprise anyone but I still read comments from people begging for an R-rating instead, as if it will increase the overall quality of the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
The old Lara movies were really cheesy. But i was just musing on the old character herself, outside of any particular medium, the magazines included.

Old Lara was more like a Bruce Wayne, or Tony Stark. A reckless maverick, who got themselves into shit, but never really asked for help.

Now, she's kind of a generic cookie cutter character. Someone who's made to tick 'all the boxes'. I can almost guarantee the supporting characters in this show are gunna be junk. People are going to walk out the cinema and the only characters that people will be able to recall will be just Lara. If pressed on why Lara? I doubt they'll be able to point to one strong thing about the character (much like the game).

The from the trailers, it seem like the entire premise is to just ferry the viewer from set-piece to set-piece, and the narrative that joins these pieces together is going to be loose, at best. I mean, even in the trailer i posted, Lara herself gasps in confusion at the plane hanging over the waterfall.

The strengths of Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark are also their biggest weaknesses. Old Lara shared a similar premise.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The old Lara movies were really cheesy. But i was just musing on the old character herself, outside of any particular medium, the magazines included.

Old Lara was more like a Bruce Wayne, or Tony Stark. A reckless maverick, who got themselves into shit, but never really asked for help.

Now, she's kind of a generic cookie cutter character. Someone who's made to tick 'all the boxes'. I can almost guarantee the supporting characters in this show are gunna be junk. People are going to walk out the cinema and the only characters that people will be able to recall will be just Lara. If pressed on why Lara? I doubt they'll be able to point to one strong thing about the character (much like the game).

The from the trailers, it seem like the entire premise is to just ferry the viewer from set-piece to set-piece, and the narrative that joins these pieces together is going to be loose, at best. I mean, even in the trailer i posted, Lara herself gasps in confusion at the plane hanging over the waterfall.

The strengths of Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark are also their biggest weaknesses. Old Lara shared a similar premise.
Honestly, I only ever recall that she was rich, reckless and looking for her father. That said, this movie looks like it's hitting those same boxes, just with a younger Lara Croft. But I think it will be different from the reboot it's taking inspiration from in that it likely won't have that awkward sudden transition from "too scared to hold a gun or do anything" to "killing everyone who wronged her". Not to mention the uncomfortable moaning that makes you look around before sinking in your seat and covering your face with one hand (and quickly pushing X to skip the cutscene).

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Lara didn't just become Lara Croft tomb raider instantly, shit happened to her to shape her into that character from the first games 20 daft years a go.

Maybe its a kind of "LAra Begins" thing.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I have a major crush on Alicia Vikander so I'm going to see it anyway. Loved the games though so I'm sure I'll enjoy the movies. Just going to see this for silly fun.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Reviews have started dropping for this. The prevailing idea from reviewers at this points seems to be... it's wholly generic.

Ending statement from eurogamer:
So once again, a video game film crashes hard against the careless non-sequiturs of video game worlds, where story and action tend to be free-floating, only vaguely related neighbours, rather than tightly interlinked as film narrative needs them to be. What's new in this case is that the game the film is based on, heavy with cinematic pretence of its own, suffered almost exactly the same fate and failed in the same way. A funny sort of progress.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ilm-review-a-new-kind-of-game-to-film-failure
I think the point which hits hardest in the eurogamer review is the fact that the narrative does take itself very seriously.

The way it's put forward kinda sounds eerily similar to the way i thought it would be; weak narrative, weak characters, a lara no one knows what to do with, and a story that exists to take you from set-piece to set-piece.

Balls is Sony's court i guess. Hopefully they go for a more "The Mummy" feel with their interpretation of their franchise than Square have with their's...

EDIT:
Hate to say i called it, but i kinda think i called it with Lara :geek:
Gayman Layming were quite critical about the character. A sentiment i shared.

I thought the prevailing idea in Hollywood at the moment was to put woman in more 'powerful' roles - like Wonder Woman - yet it seems this Lara is kinda like a deflated balloon...

Last edited: