Too Human Official Thread of melee and firearms combat - Norse Gods are watching

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
Well with the game coming out this Tuesday, i haven't seen an actual discussion thread on this game, so figured make one instead. Haven't made a thread for so long.Anyway since BioShock, Mass Effect exclusives for the 360 which came out last year, this is the 1st 360 exclusive game that i am excited about this year.

Lets get the game discussions/suggestions/problems go in this thread rather than creating 10 different threads once the game comes out. This will also help out for those who want to do the Co-op over XBOX Live as this game supports 2-player online Co-op. Post your gamertags for those who are interested in the Co-op play.

For those who haven't got the glimpse of the game, just download the demo of XBOX Live. Try to play couple of times before making up your mind.

Post in this thread only if you have the love for the game, NO Trolling Please!!!

Too Human
Developer: Silicon Knights
Publisher: Microsoft
Genre: Action Role Playing

Release dates
North America: Tuesday, August the 19, 2008
Europe: Friday, August 29, 2008
Japan: Thursday, August 28, 2008

Overview:

GameStop
Step into the world of "Too Human," the third-person epic action game from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights. As the cybernetic god Baldur, players are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the gods' hand, and now Baldur is charged with defending humanity from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on the eradication of human life.

In "Too Human," players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep role-playing game (RPG) elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the powerful Xbox 360. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage with vast numbers of enemies. Gamers also can take it to the next level by playing the entire game individually or cooperatively via Xbox LIVE. "Too Human" is produced by Silicon Knights, which brings a wealth of knowledge, story-based design and gameplay expertise to the next generation of video gaming.
Features

• Thrilling action-RPG gameplay. Unlike some games that may force players to choose between two genres, "Too Human" combines all the creative economy features and social experiences of a typical RPG, such as collecting loot and leveling up, while maintaining the excitement of an action game. With a wide array of weapons, armors, cybernetic implants and skills, players have an unprecedented level of customization with their characters.
  • Explosive melee and firearms combat. It will take more than brawn and raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Using a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and high-tech weapons combat, players have the power to vanquish foes near and far. Witness the fluid grace of heroes and enemies in battle as enacted by the acclaimed motion-capture group Full Action Stunt Team (FAST). Feel each punishing blow through advanced visual effects made possible through the power of Xbox 360.
  • The birth of an icon. Fight as Baldur, a powerful cybernetic god battling his way through enemy armies to become one of gaming's renowned iconic heroes. From weaponry and armor to combat techniques and combos, players can fully customize Baldur to become the best possible hero.
  • Advanced cinematic presentation. Characters and environments come to life with amazing visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. Survive pulse-pounding battles against hordes of on-screen enemies set against the vast landscape of the "Too Human" world. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger and blood lust as each tune encapsulates the gamer within the immersive gaming environment.
  • New level of accessibility through intuitive combat. Perform Baldur's elaborate and complex combat maneuvers, and chain together rapid-fire attacks and combos with ease. Through the use of an intuitive combat system, "Too Human" delivers gameplay that is easy to learn and rewarding to master. Shared experience. Conquer the world of "Too Human" alone or with friends in advanced, online two-player co-op gameplay through the Xbox LIVE service. Online co-op play requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.
  • Modern take on classical Norse mythology. In a world ruined by centuries of war, "Too Human" chronicles the epic story of Baldur, favored son of Odin and one of a group of humanity's protector, the Aesir. As Baldur, you must destroy the ancient war machines that threaten the world, but to do so you must balance your sense of duty and honor against your lust for revenge — perhaps even sacrificing your humanity in the process.
TeamXbox
Too Human "Building Up Baldur" Screens

Step into the world of “Too Human,” the third-person epic action game from renowned Canadian developer Silicon Knights. As the cybernetic god Baldur, players are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the gods’ hand, and now Baldur is charged with defending humanity from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on the eradication of human life.

In “Too Human,” players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and firearms combat, plus deep role-playing game (RPG) elements fueled by breathtaking visuals enabled by the powerful Xbox 360. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage with vast numbers of enemies. Gamers also can take it to the next level by playing the entire game individually or cooperatively via Xbox Live.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17296/...aldur-Screens/

Too Human Baldur Profile and Screens

Silicon Knights has released new screenshots and info on the main character and hero of Too Human. In the gam, Baldur will battle his way through enemy armies to become one of gaming’s renowned iconic heroes. Below is the description and new screenshots of the game:
Evolution of Baldur

Baldur wasn’t always Baldur. In fact, he was originally much less of a god than he is now. When Too Human was first conceived as a cyberpunk influenced science fiction game, Baldur was known as “John Franks” – a somewhat uninteresting monicker for an understated hero. We had wanted Too Human to open up in a very mundane, clichéd manner to lure the player into a sense of “been there, done that” and had set Franks up accordingly as a beat cop whose family was killed and he was looking for revenge.

At this point there was almost no Norse Mythology in the game at all. As the story was developed, we began to see more and more of the mythology reflected in the story. Throughout this, Franks changed: had hair, had none; had a goatee, then none, etc. His design fluctuated with the whims of the artists or anyone else - no one had a clear vision of what he should, or shouldn’t, look like.

When the game was shelved, dreams of Franks and the rest of Too Human also fell to the wayside. Too Human wouldn’t be revisited for another 5-6 years, until a funny thing happened: someone jokingly suggested doing the whole thing as Norse Mythology. Although jaws dropped and heads were scratched, it galvanized interest in the game again and pushed development in a totally different direction.

John Franks was immediately shelved as a character - as was pretty much every bit piece of existing content and ideas relating to the old game. John Franks became Baldur, the sun god from Norse Mythology and his world change from cyberpunk metropolis to the war-torn, ice-encrusted purgatory of the current game. A design was quickly arrived at but there was a lot of controversy over whether he should have horns on his helmet or not.

Horned helmets have become an icon of Viking culture, but real Vikings wore no such thing. Historians agree that the idea of horned helmets came from confusion with the ancient Celts who often wore precariously horned, winged and other wildly decorated helmets. The Vikings were very practical people – horns and other distractions would only have weighed them down unnecessarily and made it harder to fight. Nonetheless, in Viking art, many gods wore winged and horned helmets – gods, not mortals, and so it was fitting that Baldur had horns on his helm. To satisfy both parties, the idea of holographic horns came to the fore. The horns would sweep to the front of the helmet, before Baldur’s eyes, forming a visible display. Both parties would be satisfied, but not for long as the publisher was soon to change.

After Microsoft took over the game, Baldur would change a few more times to suit their vision as a marketable character. For our “default” Baldur – the one that would be used throughout marketing and become the prime image of who Baldur is – we lost the helm altogether. We felt that it reduced his humanity by obscuring so much of his personality and made him look like a machine in the process.

It is in the last stages of character design that the most work is done - with subtle, sometimes almost unnoticeable changes taking many hours to visualize and get right. Here, we were less interested with costume and more with the dynamics of the face – making him more charismatic, impressionable, courageous, and ultimately more “human” - a face that could take charge and be serious, yet also emote and show compassion.

Eventually, we felt we had a main character that could live up to his part in the story and yet hold his own on the screen with some of the better known and more recognizable heroes and villains.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/17303/...e-and-Screens/
For all the other details, just browse around or check out at IGN.
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/748/748783.html

Again, this thread is not for the trash talk of the game or any console but actual game discussion, so please stick with the topic. If there is anything else you guys want me to add, feel free to let me know.

Scape

Forum Elder
Nov 7, 2007
i have been waiting on this game since the demo was released. i actually liked it so much , i shut the demo off half way through because i wanted the game to be totally new to me when i get it. i still have not made up my mind on what class i want to play though.

Xaor

Dedicated Member
Dec 13, 2007
I don't think I'm going to pick it up.. but I might. Just might. Really depends on whether I can wait another month or so til the next game I buy, which will be FIFA 09.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="X2, post: 0]You might want to add this to the thread.[/quote]

Yeah i added that, thanks buddy. You can probably edit your post now so that people dont see the same information again.

taxman

Dedicated Member
Sep 5, 2007
[QUOTE="FdMstng99, post: 0]Good stuff Sparc, will give this a shot later on. ;)

Just a couple more days until its released.[/quote]

Where are all the reviews?

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="taxman, post: 0]Where are all the reviews?[/quote]Most haven't yet been released. Here are the scores of those (from the minor mag/sites) that have:

GameInformer: 6.75 out of 10; second opinion: 7.0
Games Magazine (Greece): 93 out of 100
Neo+ Magazine (Poland): 8.5 out of 10
Maxim (Russia): 5 out of 5
Playboy Magazine: 2.5 out of 4

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sparc, post: 0]Most haven't yet been released. Here are the scores of those (from the minor mag/sites) that have:

GameInformer: 6.75 out of 10; second opinion: 7.0
Games Magazine (Greece): 93 out of 100
Neo+ Magazine (Poland): 8.5 out of 10
Maxim (Russia): 5 out of 5
Playboy Magazine: 2.5 out of 4[/quote]

Playboy magazine? lol Anyway some of those score are really good. The chasm between good and bad scores seem to indicate a love it or hate it kind of game. I consider myself to be in the former category based upon my enjoyment of the demo.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
None of the above are really the major review sites. I'm interested in Eurogamer and IGN those are the key ones for me.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sparc, post: 0]None of the above are really the major review sites. I'm interested in Eurogamer and IGN those are the key ones for me.[/quote]

TBH they are all just opinions. The best critic to decide if a game is good for me is me. But yeah reviews from sites like IGN will affect the sucess of the game to a large degree as sad as that may be. Plus I'm curious what sites like that are going to say about it.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
The reason I like reading IGN's and, even more so, Eurogamer's reviews are because they often mirror my own views and tastes to what a game should deliver. Not always, but mostly. However in this case I am getting the game even if they give a low score because I do think I will enjoy this one.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Sparc, post: 0] However in this case I am getting the game even if they give a low score because I do think I will enjoy this one.[/quote]

I agree. The demo really sold me on this game so its a definite purchase for me as well.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Went back and played the demo again last night, paying attention to the advanced combat.

It's about 5 kinds of awesome, once you "let go" of the camera, it's a hell of a lot of fun.
Doesn't come out in NZ till 28th. But I'm getting it.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
Alright i just got back from my trip and i started playing this game yesterday. I played the demo before and i would give it a 7/10. The rating goes down pretty good for the camera angles but rest is all alright.

When it comes to the main game for some reason though its the demo you start off with, it just got me hooked up into it that i want to play more. I haven't got addicted to a game since COD4(online) came out last year.

Though i played GTA IV & MGS IV, they are excellent but this game has something different. I love the loot, especially all the stuff you can customize and grab like an RPG.

So far i clocked around 5-6 hours into the game and i am around level 15. The Co-op is messed up. I played the same level thrice, one in the campaign and twice on Co-op because for some odd reason it doesn't save unless like you beat the whole Chapter.

What i would suggest is even if you were not satisfied with the demo, definitely rent the game and try it out because it is actually pretty good, atleast for the 1st chapter.

All the guys out there who go this game running on the 360, lets hook up and get some Too Human discussions and Co-op go on.