Too Many Games

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I stumbled upon this thread online...
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...tion-to-finishcontinue-games-anymore-1794844/

There's a lot of interesting discussion there from people who have a hard time finishing games. I was surprised to see just how many people responded saying that they experience the same thing. I thought I'd pose similar questions here.
-How many games per year do you play compared to how many you actually finish?
-Can having too many games be overwhelming? Are games too long these days?
-Are games rehashing the same elements and concepts that long time gamers have seen in previous generations?
Feel free to share your thoughts.

In recent years, I've probably played an average of 20 - 40 games per year. I finish maybe 5 - 10 of those games within a year of starting them. Starting in 2017 I'm going to reduce the number of games I play to 10-20 per year instead of my usual 20-40. For me it's not a lack of interest but rather too much interest in other games so I end up jumping around. Within a few months of a good game I buy there's already something else out that peaks my interest. Now if they're primarily a single player experience then I've learned there's no need to jump in on day 1. However if the game has a strong multiplayer element, I usually want to be a part of it early. Some games such as Destiny I jumped into late (this year) and still found enjoyment.

I certainly think that having too many games can be overwhelming. I own about 650 physical games across various consoles so I speak from experience. Sometimes the older games can be more fun than modern games and vice versa. Other times I force myself to take a break from gaming all together for a week or a month. This allows me to step back from the hobby and do other things in life. There is such thing as "gaming too much" and a breath of fresh air usually fixes that for me.

The whole discussion about if games are too long is a personal one. Some people like shorter games and others like the epic 30, 40, 50+ hour experiences. For me it depends on the game or series. Something like a FF title I expect to take a long time to complete. Games such as a COD or BF game I expect shorter but fun campaigns. I like playing both long and short games. My only issue is that some of the more immersive games can give you too many side tasks to complete in order to move the game forward.

As for games rehashing elements from older games, yes it's there but not always apparent. In the same way that modern bands use similar chords or movies use familiar plot lines, you can usually find something to say "oh this has been done before". Part of the issue is that companies follow the motto of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" hence why we get a lot of the same stuff. Imagine how many games would be on a list of "Name every FPS for PS3 and PS4 only". How many different ways can you give someone weapons/powers and have them kill monsters or other players? So I guess my point is that some games are going to inevitably have familiar features. It's the fresh story lines, unique games, or fresh takes on old franchises that keep me interested in the modern age.

What about you? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
If i count from 2009 that bought PlayStation 2 is about 15 games per year till our days. The reason that i am playing this amount of games is that i dont like a lot of them but specific titles, so i am lucky, because saving me time and money , to can do other activities in my life and to concentrate on these ones that i want to play each time.

If you ask me how many games finish compared to how many i play, better to write whice of these games didnt finish till today,and these are the two Street Fighter titles,Commando from Capcom Arcade Cabinet and one Blazblue. I have two games that i can finish, and all the others are completed except if the servers are down before completed online.

Games arent too long in our days except some good classic titles and even these games in second and third playthroughs are much faster(for example Souls series). To have many games has to do with the gaming taste of each player and is fine. If i liked more genres i would have probably more games to play at each year.

For sure some new generation games step on the glorious and succesful path of previous titles, but there are a lot of new games too, that people will talk about them on the future decades. So the answer for me in this question is balanced. And i am sure that more and more good and fresh ideas will follow in the future. Same goes for music and movies, even if a lot of them repeat past works, always will be some new ones to remind us that if u love something and have fresh ideas, u can creat some prototype and brilliant.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
The sales don't help, they bombard you with cheap games and you think "ooo that is a bargain, must have" but never end up playing them.
I have loads of games on Steam I bought on sale that are unfinished,
The Witcher for less than £3, Deus Ex Human revolution £3, The Witcher 2, £3.75. Apart from The Witcher I have hardly played the others to which I ahve lost the game save so have to start over, and no way I am dong that.

I think part of the problem is these days I seem prefer to play single player on consoles which I have rarely an unfinished game story wise.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I have a ton of games on Steam that I have yet to even install. Thanks, humble bundle. Plenty of games on PS4 that I have not finished. Mainly because I am a bit impatient with games. If it doesn't grab me early then it is hard for me to stay motivated to drudge on. Other times I just get derailed. I was happily playing God Eater Resurrection, but then Watch Dogs 2 came out and I'm hooked on that. So I imagine I will put in 80+ hours into WD 2 and then wait for FFXV and Last Guardian reviews. If those are decent then God Eater will get pushed back some more. Then I get to the point where if I haven't played the game in a long time, trying to remember HOW to play it is too daunting. I just give up and uninstall the thing. Another in a long line of unfinished games, sadly.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6523731]The sales don't help, they bombard you with cheap games and you think "ooo that is a bargain, must have" but never end up playing them.
I have loads of games on Steam I bought on sale that are unfinished,
The Witcher for less than £3, Deus Ex Human revolution £3, The Witcher 2, £3.75. Apart from The Witcher I have hardly played the others to which I ahve lost the game save so have to start over, and no way I am dong that.

I think part of the problem is these days I seem prefer to play single player on consoles which I have rarely an unfinished game story wise.[/QUOTE]

I had no intention to post when I started but that was so on point. We have such an easy and cheap access to a giant library with a few buttons and clicks, yet I don't enjoy like I used to be. If I had witcher when I was highschool it would take months to milk that game at least 5. Now I jsut get bored or distract from an awesome game because another interesting one on my drive.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
Very valid subject @Chewbacca. This gen had been my first where I'm doing a much higher proportion of digital as opposed to physical purchases. There have been a few occasions where I have purchased several games on sale and they are still sitting on my hdd either completely unstarted or only briefly tried; and that's not including any of the PS+ ones that I usually add to library then fail to even download. Definitely to many games and not enough time. The trouble is there's always something bigger, better, faster round the corner and diminishing attention spans. Will I even get round to starting The Evil Within or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Not looking too good right now

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
2-4 games per year. So I don't really have this problem. I will say that for certain RPG's though, the time it tales to play through the entire game can bee too long. I don't necessarily want to spend more than ~40-50 hours at the top end on singleplayer.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
I am guilty of buying too many games just to "Have them" for that magical moment when I'll have enough time to play them all. Although I do tend to finish them at some point. I always buy new games and then continue to use my gaming time to play online and on games such as Battlefield, COD, and SWBF2. And after I play the MP games and I've used up my alotted game time for the day, I feel guilty for not having played some of the others I haven't gotten to yet! LOL! Nice 1st world problems to have aye? But As a married adult with a full time job, I just don't have the time I once did. Glad these games weren't out when I was a kid though. I never would have left the house and met real people!