Top 5 contenders for Game of the Year

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006

As the holiday season approaches and many of the year’s biggest games are being let loose on retailer’s shelves, it is time to summarise what may be the game to own (or rather, the Top 5 games to own) this winter.

5 – Fable II

Coming in second, only to MGS4, in terms of hype and pompous rhetoric, Peter Molyneux’s latest creation is seemingly a massive hit this year. Initial reports from reviews are showing that it does indeed meet the expectations and many people who are enjoying the game say it is ridiculously in-depth and will require a large time dedication to get the most out of the title.

Of course not everyone likes the Western-style RPGs but Oblivion was a massive success in 2006 for the Xbox 360 and PC that this is likely to carry over. There is no reason not to play this game.
For the rest of the Top 5, click the link:

http://www.dailyjoystick.com/index....me-of-the-year&catid=46:editorials-&Itemid=55

Do you agree? I think it's pretty obvious what WILL be GOTY this year.

gruddy

Elite Sage
Aug 29, 2007
MGS4 should win it hands down.

There are loads of oustanding games this year but MGS4 was just epic and no game can surpass the experience. That is my opinion.

Feb 29, 2008
South Side
I'm thinking it may be between LBP- even though I'm not really interested in it - or MGS4. I'm rooting for MGS4 for the win though...you just can't tell me that it's not one of the most awesome games ever made in the history of games. GTA4 also deserves it's props, I don't care what NO ONE says. Great job Rockstar....now bring on L.A. Noire!!!

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="gruddy, post: 0]MGS4 should win it hands down.

There are loads of oustanding games this year but MGS4 was just epic and no game can surpass the experience. That is my opinion.[/quote]

How about for those who haven't ever played a MG game though? I mean, I have the game, I liked it, but I know I didn't get everything out of it. I know I'm missing a large portion of the game because this was my first ever MG game. This could put it off track because it's a game that isn't complete by itself. It does rely on a lot of prior knowledge, or experience, with previous games. At least, that's how it made me feel. I really felt lost with a lot of the story elements. I feel that if I go back and play the others, then replay 4, I'd be in awe though.

B

bruiser07

I think you have to throw Fallout 3 in the mix and Resistance 2. Ultimately it should be LBP that wins.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]How about for those who haven't ever played a MG game though? I mean, I have the game, I liked it, but I know I didn't get everything out of it. I know I'm missing a large portion of the game because this was my first ever MG game. This could put it off track because it's a game that isn't complete by itself. It does rely on a lot of prior knowledge, or experience, with previous games. At least, that's how it made me feel. I really felt lost with a lot of the story elements. I feel that if I go back and play the others, then replay 4, I'd be in awe though.[/quote]
I agree, All the thrill and fun of MGS4 came from it's niche aspects. For example the recap of playing MGS1 in Shadow Moses. That actually made me stand up and applaud Hideo-san. No joke.

Honestly if it comes to those 5 games. It's gonna be between LBP and Fable 2. However Fallout 3 hasn't come out yet so that might be thrown in as well. But honestly I see Fallout 3 as a niche game as well but Oblivion got GOTY so what the hell do I know.

B

Barlow007

LBP will no doubt be right up there due to its community based appeal. Obviously titles such as Fallout 3, MGS4 should be in there but i think sleeper hit Dead Space must be in with a shout at least!

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
[QUOTE="Barlow007, post: 0]LBP will no doubt be right up there due to its community based appeal. Obviously titles such as Fallout 3, MGS4 should be in there but i think sleeper hit Dead Space must be in with a shout at least![/quote]

Well COD4 came out in 2007 :)

COD5 could turn out to be excellent but we just don't know. Same goes with Resistance 2.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Scotracer, post: 0]Well COD4 came out in 2007 :)

COD5 could turn out to be excellent but we just don't know. Same goes with Resistance 2.[/quote]
He said MGS4 not COD4 :)

[QUOTE="UCONN for life, post: 0]I guess nobody cares about Resistance 2. That game looks like it will be excellent.[/quote]
Yes it's gonna be excellent. But is it GOTY worthy? I just don't see it being as attractive as LBP.

Feb 29, 2008
South Side
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]How about for those who haven't ever played a MG game though? I mean, I have the game, I liked it, but I know I didn't get everything out of it. I know I'm missing a large portion of the game because this was my first ever MG game. This could put it off track because it's a game that isn't complete by itself. It does rely on a lot of prior knowledge, or experience, with previous games. At least, that's how it made me feel. I really felt lost with a lot of the story elements. I feel that if I go back and play the others, then replay 4, I'd be in awe though.[/quote]

Yeah man you are truly missing out on a lot of stuff. To make any sense of this game you absolutely have to had played through the entire MGSSolid series or you'll be left in the dark. I highly reccomend that you - if you get the chance - go out and find the first three...I think they have it in a cheap bundle now. Either that or download the free MGS database add-on from the PS store. It has tons of valuable info in there.

Cooke_E_G

Forum Elder
May 12, 2007
1. MGS4
2. LBP
3. Gears 2
4. Fable 2
5. Fallout

I will be VERY VERY surpised if a PS3 exclusive gets it....I just dont see it happening.

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
[QUOTE="Alastor Mused, post: 0]He said MGS4 not COD4 :)

Yes it's gonna be excellent. But is it GOTY worthy? I just don't see it being as attractive as LBP.[/quote]

So he did. I'm losing it :|

B

bruiser07

yeah go play through the first 3. the story in mgs1 >>>> the story of almost any other video game. mgs3 was pretty bad *** too, and mgs2 was merely meh because of raiden. but definitely you should check those games out - as soon as you start playing you'll definitely get addicted.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
If MGS4 gets GotY, I'll be happy because for once something played to my favor... It'll be GTA4, though... Because it's got broader appeal, even if sandbox games bore me to no end.

B

Barlow007

[QUOTE="Scotracer, post: 0]So he did. I'm losing it :|[/quote]

It happens to the best of us mate!!

Nov 22, 2005
i would say the top 5 are: The winner i think is going to be LBP. if not lbp it will got to either mgs or Geow.
LBP
MGS 4
Gears of war 3
Resistance 2
Fallout

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="teedogg80, post: 0]Yeah man you are truly missing out on a lot of stuff. To make any sense of this game you absolutely have to had played through the entire MGSSolid series or you'll be left in the dark. I highly reccomend that you - if you get the chance - go out and find the first three...I think they have it in a cheap bundle now. Either that or download the free MGS database add-on from the PS store. It has tons of valuable info in there.[/quote]

[QUOTE="bruiser07, post: 0]yeah go play through the first 3. the story in mgs1 >>>> the story of almost any other video game. mgs3 was pretty bad *** too, and mgs2 was merely meh because of raiden. but definitely you should check those games out - as soon as you start playing you'll definitely get addicted.[/quote]

Can those be played on the PS3, 40GB model? If not, I'll just have to download that free content lol.

On topic - I think it will be between LBP, Gears, and MGS4.

Feb 29, 2008
South Side
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]Can those be played on the PS3, 40GB model? If not, I'll just have to download that free content lol.

On topic - I think it will be between LBP, Gears, and MGS4.[/quote]

Nah, I don't think they can be played on the 40 GB PS3...so downloading the database is your best bet.

Jul 27, 2008
I hope PSOne and 2 games can be played on 40GB, I lost my copy of MGS1 years ago, and Twin Snakes just didnt cut it.

Back on topic, I would like to see MGS4 win GotY, but a Multi Platform I would think is more likely. Fallout will be a good game and has 2 distinct fanbases to sell to, Elder Scrolls fans and Fallout fans.

T

TwentyThree

Carl you have to take in consideration other games that are exclusive to PC and 360... wich i think the two big ones will be Gears of War 2, and Fable II.

i think it will be between Gears2, MGS4, and Fable II .. in no particular order i think these three will be the big tittles fighting it out for Game of the year.

[velocity]

Master Poster
Dec 1, 2006
[QUOTE="gruddy, post: 0]MGS4 should win it hands down.

There are loads of oustanding games this year but MGS4 was just epic and no game can surpass the experience. That is my opinion.[/quote]

Yes, MGS4 is one of the best games all time. But hold your horses; Fallout 3 isn't out yet.

And that my friend, is GOING to be the GOTY.:cool:

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="TwentyThree, post: 0]Carl you have to take in consideration other games that are exclusive to PC and 360... wich i think the two big ones will be Gears of War 2, and Fable II.
[/quote]

Uhm yeah i was doing. I was just saying i think it will be MGS4 or LBP, and will be surprised if it isn't.