Top Gear on Gran Turismo TV for 0.99cents

Feb 13, 2008

On Friday, August 1st, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue owners will receive a significant update that will take their racing and automotive experience to a new level.

The heart of this update is a new line-up of exciting automotive programming for “Gran Turismo TV”, our in-game automotive media channel. Gearheads will enjoy a host of new free and pay-per-view programming, including “Top Gear“, UK’s premier car entertainment program, and Japan’s “Best Motoring” video magazine, dedicated to the pursuit of the pleasure of driving.
Whether you’re in the mood to tour Ferrari’s factory in Italy with Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi, or to be insulted by Jeremy Clarkson talking trash about your favorite cars, or even sitting down to watch some mad Japanese race drivers play ‘car soccer’, there is a variety of choices for all types of car fans. Gran Turismo TV is housed within Gran Turismo 5 Prologue so access and videos is all in-game!

A few other notes about Gran Turismo TV for you to keep in mind:

• For the first two weeks only, we are providing all pay-per-view content for at a discounted price of $.99! It’s a good way to get a taste Gran Turismo TV. The HD content we shoot for our exclusive stuff looks pretty amazing. Following the initial two-week period, content will start at $1.99. So start downloading away!
  • Be sure to check the full content list for a full content list, as we will be adding new programs on a regular basis.
  • Gran Turismo TV will also include new features that allow viewers to fast forward, rewind, and move between chapters when viewing video content.
  • Viewers can download up to 8 episodes simultaneously and pause individual downloads.
Personally, I would like to find some American content to beef-up the roster. What do you think? We welcome any suggestions you may have.
In addition, other gameplay enhancements come with this update, like fixes in penalty judgments, more tire choices for Time Trial and improved physics during collisions between cars during online races (YES! We’ve been carefully monitoring players behaviors online and all your comments on the forums.)
Stay tuned for more updates on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in the future. See you online!
Source

Well, I don't think the price is that bad at all, I just hope i can view content later on Under videos and don't have to always boot up the game, though i probably will. Gonna enjoy watching these! I hope they end up on the video store as well:p

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
$1 initially and $2 regularly.. that's actually pretty good. Wonder what the delay will be in getting the latest episodes of Top Gear and such. If they're up pretty quickly I can see myself using this heaps.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
Sorry for double-post, Edit keeps timing out..

Looks like I might be upgrading my HDD sooner than I thought too 8)

Y

Yip-Man

Wonder if we will haveto pay for them in the UK or not, as they part of our liecence fee ??

spose will have to wait until friday.

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
[QUOTE="Yip-Man, post: 0]Wonder if we will haveto pay for them in the UK or not, as they part of our liecence fee ??

spose will have to wait until friday.[/quote]

Oh we'll have to pay we pay for everything else that supposedly free take repeats of programs thats all we are really paying for anyways.

Mainspring

Dedicated Member
Aug 13, 2007
Can't wait to get the Ferrari tour and some Top Gear action.

And for $0.99, not too shabby.

I think this is a great addition to GT and good service for the car enthusiast.

I hope you can background DL so you can play the game without having to wait around forced to look at the DL screen.

Sep 28, 2007
In the UK you can watch top gear on bbc2, dave, bbci player, and virgin on demand all for free. So I hope we wont have to watch them on the ps3.

Also, why do Americans like Top Gear so much? Jeremy Clarkson holds some serious animosity towards you and your cars lol.

Do not double post. Edit your previous one ~Carl

RaceworX

Superior Member
Oct 26, 2007
im not fussed bout top gear iun the uk for obvious reassons but i carnt waitfor JGTC, option videos, Drift championship ect

Croyles

Super Elite
Apr 6, 2007
[QUOTE="VintageElise, post: 0]Top Gear is free on Dave ;)[/quote]
Oh yeah forgot about Dave lol, great channel.
"This is it for us today, unless of course you are watching this on Dave in which case we will be straight back on, as usual...."

Nov 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
[QUOTE="timwaters2007, post: 0]Also, why do Americans like Top Gear so much? Jeremy Clarkson holds some serious animosity towards you and your cars lol.[/quote]

Why are you generalizing non-British people as "americans". I for one am a Canadian and a huge car enthusiast. You really think Jeremy has real animosity to American cars? I love that show and download the latest episodes every week. I know Jeremy pretty well and thats all talk. You think he'll come the states and bash they're cars? No. He actually bought a Ford GT, but later returned it becuase it was malfunctioning. Later he bought a Gallardo Spyder which Im sure hes enjoying more. True, he doesnt like American cars but he respects the best. Ie. He put the new Z06 in high regard. Although at the end of the show he said what he didnt like about it. The only thing he doesnt like about American cars is the way they handle.

However, if you watch the show regularly, you'll see that his mood is always changing. Whenever they test a new super car, it becomes his 'new favorite'. Ive heard him say 'this is my new favorite car' a dozen times. For examples, those of you who are true TG fans, may remember the show when they compare the BMW M3, Benz C63, and the Audi RS4. During the whole comparo, he constantly bashes the M3 and the people who drive, only to admit at the end that he thought the M3 was the best car out of the three. Thats goes to show how he is. :DD

Croyles

Super Elite
Apr 6, 2007
Its Jeremy, you cant take him seriously, its just the way he is. Look at how many anti-german jokes there are on it but i dont care cause its all a joke anyway.

I was watching season 11 lately, saw both episodes with the R35 GT-R, man I love that car. I love it just as much in GT5P as I do watching it in real life!

L

Lymphatikz

On Jezza's attitude to the Americans and American cars - Priceless.

On topic ~ Any idea on the price for GTTV for England. If it's even launching over here that is

Edit: Was 100% off topic.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
AHhh good. I'll be downloading some then, even if they are free on Dave. Gotta lover Dave

B

Beltaine

Have you ever seen any American car shows?

Pimp My Ride?
My Classic Car?
Unique Whips?
Car Crazy?

Unless you want to rebuild an old wreck, or see some knuckle heads customize luxury cars for rich basketball players or people who can't take care of their car in the first place, we've got nothing. I think Car and Driver actually has a show, but damned if it ever comes on and all they review are econoboxes and minivans.

I can only get stale Top Gear episodes from BBC America but my Tivo grabs every one. Sure wish they'd put current ones on BBCA.

That said, I don't see myself dropping $1-$2 for episodes on my PS3 either.

Makinen

High on WRC
Jul 22, 2007
Toronto
I really don't see the point spending $1/$2 on episodes. Unless of course you just wanna watch them in HD. Am not sure, but can anyone confirm whether they are purely rental or once downloaded, they can be viewed and kept for as long as we wanted.

It would def be awesome to be able to watch stuff straight through the XMB rather than boot the game everytime.

Hope for the best tomorrow anyhow..!

Lethal-

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2007
[QUOTE="play_b3yond_313, post: 0]Why are you generalizing non-British people as "americans". I for one am a Canadian and a huge car enthusiast. You really think Jeremy has real animosity to American cars? I love that show and download the latest episodes every week. I know Jeremy pretty well and thats all talk. You think he'll come the states and bash they're cars? No. He actually bought a Ford GT, but later returned it becuase it was malfunctioning. Later he bought a Gallardo Spyder which Im sure hes enjoying more. True, he doesnt like American cars but he respects the best. Ie. He put the new Z06 in high regard. Although at the end of the show he said what he didnt like about it. The only thing he doesnt like about American cars is the way they handle.

However, if you watch the show regularly, you'll see that his mood is always changing. Whenever they test a new super car, it becomes his 'new favorite'. Ive heard him say 'this is my new favorite car' a dozen times. For examples, those of you who are true TG fans, may remember the show when they compare the BMW M3, Benz C63, and the Audi RS4. During the whole comparo, he constantly bashes the M3 and the people who drive, only to admit at the end that he thought the M3 was the best car out of the three. Thats goes to show how he is. :DD[/quote]
Well that just shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

He didn't generalise anyone, he was talking about the Top Gear American episode when he blatantly shown his dislike for all thing American. You, with your pathetic "we don't want to be left out" Canadian mentality have decided to look past that and make a retaliation post based on mindless assumption. Well done...

Back on topic, iPlayer shows loads of Top Gear episodes for free too, so that's worth checking out. :D

Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="timwaters2007, post: 3149476]In the UK you can watch top gear on bbc2, dave, bbci player, and virgin on demand all for free. So I hope we wont have to watch them on the ps3.

Also, why do Americans like Top Gear so much? Jeremy Clarkson holds some serious animosity towards you and your cars lol.

Do not double post. Edit your previous one ~Carl[/quote]

lol, to state fact i live in NA and dont like American cars, Top Gear is nice to watch because its humorous and involves cars, some great cars!

The content will do much better if its downloaded in HD 5.1ss, it then will be worth 0.99!

Nov 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 0]Well that just shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

He didn't generalise anyone, he was talking about the Top Gear American episode when he blatantly shown his dislike for all thing American. You, with your pathetic "we don't want to be left out" Canadian mentality have decided to look past that and make a retaliation post based on mindless assumption. Well done...

Back on topic, iPlayer shows loads of Top Gear episodes for free too, so that's worth checking out. :D[/quote]

Thanks for opening your mouth and showing us you're a complete *****.

I'm Canadian and don't have this "we don't want to be left out" Canadian mentality you talk about.

Oh by the way, you replyed with a stereotypical american ignorance response so you're no better.

When find time to take your head out of your *** feel free to reply.

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
Im a little confused about this.
Just what exactly are you paying $1 ($2) for? Is that a weekly subscription to that show? Are they one off shows? Repeats?
And if its $1 ($2) per show, would normal digital/cable subscriptions ( getting many channels) not work out cheaper?

Im love this addition, but Im just not sold on it for value for money.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 0]Well that just shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Back on topic, iPlayer shows loads of Top Gear episodes for free too, so that's worth checking out. :D[/quote]

Don't move about so much & those bee's under your bonnet will fly away of their own accord.;)
The simple fact is, Clarkeson takes the p*ss. Its what he does and adds to the humour of the show.

Do you think he hates his co-presenters? He takes the p*ss out of them all the time.....because its funny.
I also watched the shows about the GT40 etc and he loved that car....although did remark on the usual American buckets of power & less attention to handling. But then if you watched the shows, you would know he explained there is less need for handling in the streets of America than you would need in the likes of UK, France or Italy.

He routinely takes the p*ss out of French, Spanish, Austrailian and Japanese cars.
He wants SEAT to p*ss off and give him back his fish <<<Hilarious example :lol:

I think your zealous attitude is clouding your sense of humour. He doesn't hate America, Americans or anyone else.....he puts on a show for TV. Thats all.

Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Grinder911, post: 0]Thanks for opening your mouth and showing us you're a complete *****.

I'm Canadian and don't have this "we don't want to be left out" Canadian mentality you talk about.

Oh by the way, you replyed with a stereotypical american ignorance response so you're no better.

When find time to take your head out of your *** feel free to reply.[/quote]

Alright guys, keep this clean, Top Gear is great, no matter where or watched by who.

[QUOTE="GunTeng, post: 0]Im a little confused about this.
Just what exactly are you paying $1 ($2) for? Is that a weekly subscription to that show? Are they one off shows? Repeats?
And if its $1 ($2) per show, would normal digital/cable subscriptions ( getting many channels) not work out cheaper?

Im love this addition, but Im just not sold on it for value for money.[/quote]

well, the $1/2 dollar is paid to watch a single show, its not a subscription. There are various shows, not just Top Gear, there japan drift shows, Ferrar videos etc...

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]
well, the $1/2 dollar is paid to watch a single show, its not a subscription. There are various shows, not just Top Gear, there japan drift shows, Ferrar videos etc...[/quote]

Is there a point in doing this though? I mean, if you are only interested in Top Gear....whats the point?
Will the PS3 get the shows 6 months in advance of SKY or normal TV? Is there a benefit to using this considering you will see it free on TV anyhow ( apart from being in HD that is).

Nov 29, 2006
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]Alright guys, keep this clean, Top Gear is great, no matter where or watched by who.[/quote]

Sorry about that sir.

On topic, I do enjoy Top Gear a lot.

Just watching how some of those high end cars perform is just breathtaking.

I'll be downloading some of those episodes.

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="GunTeng, post: 0]Is there a point in doing this though? I mean, if you are only interested in Top Gear....whats the point?
Will the PS3 get the shows 6 months in advance of SKY or normal TV? Is there a benefit to using this considering you will see it free on TV anyhow ( apart from being in HD that is).[/quote]

Well, its not only Top Gear, there will be exclusive episodes like Ferrari making, and the Nissan GTr content, Top Gear is just a big contender, im not sure if the PS3 will get episodes faster, but it should get them in HD

[QUOTE="Grinder911, post: 0]Sorry about that sir.

On topic, I do enjoy Top Gear a lot.

Just watching how some of those high end cars perform is just breathtaking.

I'll be downloading some of those episodes.[/quote]

lol, thanks, just off topic, im from Canada aswell, and I wish we had Top Gear for free on national TV!

on topic, i will probably buy some, just too see how they are, but i will mainly by the exclusive episodes, like making of ferraro etc...

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
[QUOTE="play_b3yond_313, post: 0]Why are you generalizing non-British people as "americans". I for one am a Canadian and a huge car enthusiast. You really think Jeremy has real animosity to American cars? I love that show and download the latest episodes every week. I know Jeremy pretty well and thats all talk. You think he'll come the states and bash they're cars? No. He actually bought a Ford GT, but later returned it becuase it was malfunctioning. Later he bought a Gallardo Spyder which Im sure hes enjoying more. True, he doesnt like American cars but he respects the best. Ie. He put the new Z06 in high regard. Although at the end of the show he said what he didnt like about it. The only thing he doesnt like about American cars is the way they handle.

However, if you watch the show regularly, you'll see that his mood is always changing. Whenever they test a new super car, it becomes his 'new favorite'. Ive heard him say 'this is my new favorite car' a dozen times. For examples, those of you who are true TG fans, may remember the show when they compare the BMW M3, Benz C63, and the Audi RS4. During the whole comparo, he constantly bashes the M3 and the people who drive, only to admit at the end that he thought the M3 was the best car out of the three. Thats goes to show how he is. :DD[/quote]

I watch the show every week and I can say YES he has been like that for years saying it's new best car he even says this line a lot "There is nothing I have ever been that beats this car" along those lines he said that in the gorgeious Bugatti Veron.

JC always changes his mind a lot always has done since it was just him by himself doing the show I am starting to like cars more because I ain't interested in what each part does. Mainly what it looks like, how it sounds and what top speed it can do. And channel DAVE is alright makes me famous because everyone knows me lol.

Hotdog

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2008
I don't see why I should pay for something twice.
My hard earned cash went in the production costs so Top Gear could be made, so why should I pay for the content on the PS3?