Transformers 2 will have IMAX scenes

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal

Holy crap. Parts of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen are being shot in IMAX, meaning you'll get to see literally five-story Transformers getting smashed, exploded and all of the usual Michael Bay craziness in the only screen size truly worthy of Michael Bay. Like The Dark Knight, non-IMAX scenes will be letterboxed, and it'll blow back up to full screen size for IMAX sequences. Man, if there was ever a movie that needed to be in IMAX, this is it.
LOS ANGELES, CA, September 30, 2008 – IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ: IMAX; TSX: IMX), DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures today announced that director Michael Bay will shoot key sequences of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with IMAX® cameras. Bay will integrate the IMAX footage with state of the art CGI to create an unprecedented look and feel for the highly anticipated sequel to last year’s box office hit, Transformers. As previously announced, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be released to IMAX® theatres simultaneously with the movie’s wide release on June 26, 2009.
The movie sequences shot in traditional 35mm will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The IMAX DMR scenes will appear in the traditional “letterbox” shape, while scenes shot with IMAX’s cameras will expand vertically to fill the entire IMAX screen.
“The extraordinary level of detail and intensity captured by the IMAX camera creates many exciting possibilities for us with this film,” said Michael Bay, the film’s director. “IMAX’s all-encompassing format will take this story to a new level, and I am once again very excited to share The IMAX Experience with Transformers fans around the world.”
“The addition of another amazing title from DreamWorks and Paramount, combined with more groundbreaking use of IMAX technology by Hollywood’s top filmmakers, are examples of how far we have come as a company and a distribution platform over the past several years,” said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. “The growth of the IMAX theatre network, fueled by the economical benefits of the new IMAX digital system, is driving interest from virtually all of the top studios, which is resulting in more IMAX movies for audiences to enjoy.”
“Michael Bay’s innovative use of IMAX cameras will create a spectacular cinematic adventure for moviegoers next summer,” added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. “We’re very excited to be integrated as a core part of the Transformers production, and with the skilled marketing and distribution teams at DreamWorks and Paramount, the timing is ideal given our expanding global audience and network footprint.”
Source

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! More reason to be excited IMO

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
I still have yet to see a movie in IMAX since the closest is an hour away. If they get TDK for it's January Oscar run then I'll go see it. TF2 should have a good IMAX run, I don't see this movie shattering any records, some people think this has a chance to break TDK Opening Weekend record :lol:.

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
It's the whole movie next year breaking opening weekend record, been happening for a bit but next year no movie will break the opening weekend breaking that trend. It's also like the $400M film only in even years which is still happening.... pretty weird.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="the_End, post: 0]I still have yet to see a movie in IMAX since the closest is an hour away. If they get TDK for it's January Oscar run then I'll go see it. TF2 should have a good IMAX run, I don't see this movie shattering any records, some people think this has a chance to break TDK Opening Weekend record :lol:.[/quote]I don't wish for this film to BREAK TDK's record, but come close to matching it. I simply believe this newly formed franchise deserves the recognition. Again, it doesn't have to break a record but come close. That would be a huge win in my book.
[QUOTE="Stewie Skywalker, post: 0]Yeah OKAY! Either way I say film the whole damn thing in IMAX, Nolan wishes he would have.[/quote]I do wish they would do that. Film the ENTIRE movie in IMAX. However it might be a little overwhelming... I don't know. But I would definitely be interested to see what it would be like.
[QUOTE="Stewie Skywalker, post: 0]The next film to break the record will be Chris Nolan's next Batman film. Unless however Spidey 4 gets a whole bunch of great press and hype, then that has a chance.[/quote]Your not going to love this comment, but please don't take this the wrong way. I DO think The Dark Knight was a great film without Ledger... but I honestly don't know if it would be as big as it was without him. Everything else aside from Ledger was very good and all, but Ledger gave it a boost that sealed the deal... so to speak. Now perhaps the next Nolan Batman will be just as great, I don't know but at this moment without Ledger or a performance just as incredible I don't know if it will be as big as TDK.

SP4 has a LONG way to go before it'll touch TDK's record. It has the worst chance IMO, out of any of these 3.
[QUOTE="G Status, post: 0]several scenes from transformers 2 were filmed in my hometown at the university of princeton[/quote]I'm REALLY hoping Bay comes back to Detroit again to film. I REALLLLLLLLYY want to be there this time. It would seriously make my day x1000.

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
[QUOTE="RedDragon7, post: 0]I don't wish for this film to BREAK TDK's record, but come close to matching it. I simply believe this newly formed franchise deserves the recognition. Again, it doesn't have to break a record but come close. That would be a huge win in my book.

I do wish they would do that. Film the ENTIRE movie in IMAX. However it might be a little overwhelming... I don't know. But I would definitely be interested to see what it would be like.[/quote]

It won't come close to matching it, it's going to need a $70M increase over the last film and I don't see that happening. Also, IMAX would cost way to much for the entire film, pretty sure the budget for TF2 is something like $300M so if it was all IMAX try adding anywhere from $100-$200M more to that because the cost of cameras, time, etc.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="the_End, post: 0]It won't come close to matching it, it's going to need a $70M increase over the last film and I don't see that happening. Also, IMAX would cost way to much for the entire film, pretty sure the budget for TF2 is something like $300M so if it was all IMAX try adding anywhere from $100-$200M more to that because the cost of cameras, time, etc.[/quote]70 Million for a blockbuster opening really isn't that much more. Considering box office sales are in the hundreds of millions.

However, I unfortunately think could be the case anyway. I don't know how much of a following the last movie had, but judging by this forum alone not everyone loved it as I do. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

If the movie is as good as it's already hyped up to be, then perhaps it can close that gap.

Come this November we should be getting a taste of what to expect.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
Man that film would be amazing in Imax.
With something like this, do you think you would have to book waaaay in advance? I've never seen an imax, and i know that would be the movie to first do it.

Stewie Skywalker

A God Amongst Men
Sep 4, 2005
NYC
romanmfrance.com
Transformers 2 doesn't have a chance of hitting TDK. TDK is a cultural phenomenon, to the point where if you haven't seen it you are looked at as a loser or crazy. Everyone in their momma damn near has seen TDK. Transformers 1 had a 70 million opening weekend, for it to beat TDK it would need an extra 90 million. The first film was recieved so so by critics, and good by fans. To expect even a 60 million jump would be madness. The first film just wasn't that good, and the hype around it isn't large enough. Maybe if Shia dies the film might have a chance of hitting 140 opening weekend, but hes no Heath Ledger so I take that back.

All in all I am looking forward to the film. Hopefully M. Bay could make a film with a bit more substance. Another thing that irked me was the fact that most people seemed to be oblivious to these huge Transformers until the end. The dialogue was pretty funny, but the story was eh, it was a bit too long, and Megan was...skinny. Good thing Bay cleaned up that last issue though.

EDIT: and yes be prepared to buy tickets 3-4 weeks in advanced.

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
Nice. This first one was so good, and Megan Fox is so hot. They actually did a scene near where I live... the old Bethlehem Steel Factory.

RedDragon7

Elite Sage
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Stewie Skywalker, post: 0]Transformers 2 doesn't have a chance of hitting TDK. TDK is a cultural phenomenon, to the point where if you haven't seen it you are looked at as a loser or crazy. Everyone in their momma damn near has seen TDK. Transformers 1 had a 70 million opening weekend, for it to beat TDK it would need an extra 90 million. The first film was recieved so so by critics, and good by fans. To expect even a 60 million jump would be madness. The first film just wasn't that good, and the hype around it isn't large enough. Maybe if Shia dies the film might have a chance of hitting 140 opening weekend, but hes no Heath Ledger so I take that back.

All in all I am looking forward to the film. Hopefully M. Bay could make a film with a bit more substance. Another thing that irked me was the fact that most people seemed to be oblivious to these huge Transformers until the end. The dialogue was pretty funny, but the story was eh, it was a bit too long, and Megan was...skinny. Good thing Bay cleaned up that last issue though.

EDIT: and yes be prepared to buy tickets 3-4 weeks in advanced.[/quote]Unfortunately you have facts to throw in my face, but regardless I thought Transformers was an AWESOME film.

I just hope people like you aren't the death of this movie franchise. Then I will be quite bitter.

We'll see how TF2 does in theaters, but being a sequel much like TDK was... expect box office sales to be bigger than the first. All the pros in the last film are amped up in this one.

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
The first movie has to be one of my favorite action movies, i grew up with transformers, and I'm a CG *****, but still... i thought it had the perfect blend of comedy/action.

chop_suey

Apprentice
Mar 26, 2008
I liked the first film, but there was couple of annoying things I found i.e the sector 7 guy, the (only person who could decipher the code in the world )hacker, and cheesy scene when searching for the glasses. So if the 2nd film does away with cheesy people and scenes and has much more robot battles I will be happy.

the_End

Master Guru
Jul 30, 2007
[QUOTE="RedDragon7, post: 0]70 Million for a blockbuster opening really isn't that much more. Considering box office sales are in the hundreds of millions.

However, I unfortunately think could be the case anyway. I don't know how much of a following the last movie had, but judging by this forum alone not everyone loved it as I do. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

If the movie is as good as it's already hyped up to be, then perhaps it can close that gap.

Come this November we should be getting a taste of what to expect.[/quote]

A lot of people disliked the movie but there was also a lot of people who liked it so who knows. I'll expect it to make $35M over the other's opening weekend so $105M OW is my guess. There's no way it's making an extra $70M over the other for a $140M OW. There's one person at Box Officemojo who thinks this has a chance of clearing $500M :lol:. Crazy dude, same one who said SM3 had a chance as well :lol:.

I'll wait till there's a bootleg of the movie to watch it, even though my theatre by me is $4 for a film I won't waste my money on it.