Trouble connecting PS3?

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I recently purchased a Netgear Wireless D/G/N 1000 N150 Modem Router and it works brilliantly on my laptop and iPhone, but not so much on my PS3. My modem/router is situated downstairs in the lobby and my PS3, obviously, is upstairs in my bedroom. I can connect my laptop and iPhone to the router no problem from my room but my PS3 just refuses to connect or has trouble connecting and struggles to stream on Netflix, play games, load pages on the browser or even stay connected. Can anyone help?

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5838527]I recently purchased a Netgear Wireless D/G/N 1000 N150 Modem Router and it works brilliantly on my laptop and iPhone, but not so much on my PS3. My modem/router is situated downstairs in the lobby and my PS3, obviously, is upstairs in my bedroom. I can connect my laptop and iPhone to the router no problem from my room but my PS3 just refuses to connect or has trouble connecting and struggles to stream on Netflix, play games, load pages on the browser or even stay connected. Can anyone help?[/QUOTE]

Always best to directly connect your console via an ethernet cable to the router.

I bought a 20m one and drilled a whole through the ceiling for it to reach my PS3 without creating a mess. It's nicely hidden and the PS3 runs fast and smoothly when gaming online. Wi-fi is not so much suited for online games in the first place.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
The antennae on the PS3 seems kind of so-so, based on positioning other wireless equipment in the same location, and checking the various signal strengths.

Couple of options:

- Wired like Wrath said, I suspect that will solve the problem, just some cabling logistics

- Wireless AP with a better receiver/antennae (you’d connect wired from the PS3 to the WAP, and then the WAP would connected via WiFi to the Router)

For hoots, I move the PS3 up near the router to make sure it’s range issue vs. some kind of firmware incompatibility.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
Going wired isn't an option right now. I'm living with my parents temporarily and the PS3 is in my bedroom, situated right at the back of the house, while the modem router is located in the downstairs lobby. There's no way I'd be able to connect my PS3 via cable without having wires trailing everywhere which is something my parents wouldn't be too keen on. As it stands, I've managed to get it working somewhat, although it's nowhere near perfect. Netflix will stream in HD no problem but I tried playing Battlefield earlier and it just kept cutting me off and lagging.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Just an FYI I clipped th ethernet cable up the stair case finish stringer and the skirting at top of the stairs using a stapler then drilled a small ish hole through the plasterboard into the room then tucked it under the skirting you can hardly tell its even been done exspecially when the woodwork gets painted.

Luckily the phone socket is on the same side of the staircase in this house.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I've got it working perfectly. I don't know how I did it, but I've got wireless download speeds of 2.5MB, and a consistent connection at all times. It's perfect. Thank you to everyone for the help.