Turbo or V8

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
What floats your boat? Small engines with mass amounts of boost or is it all about cubes for you.

I tend to be a bit of a fence sitter on this as I see turbo six cylinders as more practical (and if done right equally fast if not faster) but the inner child in me gets weak at the knees when I hear a big V8.

La_Resistance

Superior Member
Sep 26, 2008
I love to hear a big v8 rumble, if done decently. But my love is hearin' that boost :) The v8 will have more immediate power but honestly there quite inneficient. Check out the castrol top shop challenge. My fave motor blew away the competition, 2.0 Liters, 4 cylinder, over a thousand HP. :) Even whooped on a V8 w/ twin turbo's, think it didn't even push like 50hp more than a 2.0 and it had 6.0. Efficiency + tuning = power and :)

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Funeralfog, post: 0]Muscle, i am not a fan of engines that need help. like 2 fast 2 furious, the only reason they could win was NOS, my favorite is Diesel[/quote]

Man I hate those 2f2f movies!!!! I assure you not all tuners are that bigger knobs. Its not so much that the smaller engines need "help" its just more efficient design.

Forgot to say in the OP that I'm also a big fan of rotaries. Engines that small that can generate that amount of power are just silly. Not very economical though :(

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I'm a fan of inline 6es, personally. The best way to offset turbo lag is with massive torque. While I'm at it, I'd like to give a shout out to rotary motors, as well.

Test drive an RX-8 with a manual transmission if you want to know what the word "responsive" means.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]I'm a fan of inline 6es, personally. The best way to offset turbo lag is with massive torque. While I'm at it, I'd like to give a shout out to rotary motors, as well.

Test drive an RX-8 with a manual transmission if you want to know what the word "responsive" means.[/quote]

Do you get many of the RX3's or RX2's kicking around in the USA. Guy I used to work with had an RX3 with a 13B putting about 480ish HP at the rears. Runs like 10.5 secs and is sreet registered. That thing is a complete weapon.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Personally I like turbo and the electronic like engine noise. The car I want is the Lancer Evo. An affordable family car.
Now that I think of it it has been the Evo since I was 12 and they used to grab first places in the WRC. Good times.

rykomatsu

Forum Elder
Sep 24, 2007
jpn-games.blogspot.com
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]I'm a fan of inline 6es, personally. The best way to offset turbo lag is with massive torque.[/quote]

what? you're not really offsetting turbolag....you're still going to end up with peaky power when boost kicks in since that really doesn't do much to lower the rpm at which you hit positive boost. better off going to either a ball bearing turbo or in the case of an I6 or V motor, going small twins...faster spoolup, smoother powerband.

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
I hate the way Japanese cars are seen (particulalry in USA) as crappy cars that make a lot of noise and not much else. I drive an Integra Type R and everyone has to appreciate what it is and what it can do. It is a 1.8 litre 4-cyl that produces 200BHP. That's A LOT for such a small engine. The car is designed to punch above its weight - it can embarass some much larger engined cars on a track or twisty road. It will beat a Ford Mustang on a twisty mountain road because it uses real in-depth intelligent engineering over brute-force.

I appreciate engines that produce a lot of power for their size, not just the power output. For instance a Ferrari 430 Scuderia produces 520BHP from a 4.3 litre V8 (no turbo) and a Viper produces 500BHP from a 8.3 litre V10 or a Corvette Z06 producing 500BHP from a 7 litre V8. The Ferrari's effort is far more impressive.

I love naturally aspirated engines of any configuration as long as they sound great and rev highly!

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I just hate the people that put an exhaust on their car and a bunch of stickers. I used to have a Supra back in highschool and was "rice" before the Fast and Furious came out. The scene got really big there for a while but then it just hasn't been the same since.

To this day I still get a laugh about this one girl at school in Houston, Kitty, selling her 3000GT after I spanked her in a race with my GT-4 Celica... Her boyfriend talked her into getting one of the new Mustangs thinking that a big beefy V-8 is what she needed to finally take me down..

No such luck..

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]I just hate the people that put an exhaust on their car and a bunch of stickers. I used to have a Supra back in highschool and was "rice" before the Fast and Furious came out. The scene got really big there for a while but then it just hasn't been the same since.

To this day I still get a laugh about this one girl at school in Houston, Kitty, selling her 3000GT after I spanked her in a race with my GT-4 Celica... Her boyfriend talked her into getting one of the new Mustangs thinking that a big beefy V-8 is what she needed to finally take me down..

No such luck..[/quote]

I like GT-Fours and was tempted with one but they are heavy so even with a 2.0 Turbo it is no faster than my Integra. Look awesome though

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="Scotracer, post: 0]I like GT-Fours and was tempted with one but they are heavy so even with a 2.0 Turbo it is no faster than my Integra. Look awesome though[/quote]

She was a fun car.. The Supra was much faster stock, but I managed to yoink about 310ish bhp to the wheels on the GT4 before it was all said and done. On that note, I don't recommend Supras for cold Colorado winters..

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 0]I'm a fan of inline 6es, personally. The best way to offset turbo lag is with massive torque. While I'm at it, I'd like to give a shout out to rotary motors, as well.

Test drive an RX-8 with a manual transmission if you want to know what the word "responsive" means.[/quote]

This man speaks the truth! The inline 6es are one of the reasons why I like the Skyline R34 models over any American muscle!

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
YouTube - Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale - Starting[/url]

Says hello ;)
close but not close enough:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-HrKbeQ1s"]YouTube - Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster Exhaust Note[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJYQ1Vc0nA&feature=related"]YouTube - Aston martin v8 vantage sound[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJJ7vM5eG8&feature=related"]YouTube - Aston Martin AMV8 Brutal acceleration!! Sick sound!![/ame]

This is the best 10 cylinder:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1q0pjd5uoo"]YouTube - lamborghini LP560-4 revving up[/ame]

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="saleenf5, post: 0]ahh give me an american v8 with turbos in it an ill be fine, just look at my username..... you know what i want
[/quote]

Meh.. If it wasn't such a blatant rip of the McLaren F1, I might like it more.

Oct 9, 2005
Canada
www.ArchNME.com
****, I am all about the muscle cars.

The new[2009] Dodge Challenger is a sick car, specifically the R/T with its V8 5.7L Hemi. It's got good rumble, power and better yet, it is fuel efficient with Chrysler's Multi-Displacement System [other companies do have similar things]. I guess its cuzz of my love for the old 70 Challenger R/T with its 426 Hemi...

Mar 17, 2006
Best car for your money, And also what some computers can do.

RAPEs lambo's and most other top end cars. 911 turbo=death

The power of a Twin Turbo V6. New 2010 skylines will pump well over 500Hp with over boost button. rape anything out, besides the Bugatti and viper ACR or other cars that cost more than a country's.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="BingBing, post: 0]Best car for your money, And also what some computers can do.

RAPEs lambo's and most other top end cars. 911 turbo=death

The power of a Twin Turbo V6. New 2010 skylines will pump well over 500Hp with over boost button. rape anything out, besides the Bugatti and viper ACR or other cars that cost more than a country's.

[/quote]

They already do put out over 500 hp. And where did you hear that they would be increasing the power, last I heard Nissan didn't increase the hp on the spec v GT-R.

http://jalopnik.com/5126884/nissan-gt+r-specv-super+godzilla-caught-on-tape