Turning a dead PS3 into a media centre

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Lately I've been clearing out all of the rubbish that I own and I came across my old PS3 that died back in 2009. As I now own two Raspberry Pi's, I thought that an idea would be to gut out the entire PS3 and put in a Raspberry Pi Model B+ and possibly use the PSU, Caddy, and the Blu-ray player for the Pi.

A few things that need to be researched are:
  • Creating a separate circuit board to step down the power from 100v~3.8A to 5V~2A so that I don't blow the Pi
  • Have the Pi turn on/off via a PS3 controller or the finger sensor buttons on the PS3
  • Enable the Blu-ray player to be detected by the Pi
  • Modify the electronics to create extensions, such as the HDMI to HDMI, CAT5 to CAT5, etc.
For now I'm just going to gut the entire thing and keep what is necessary for a working Pi media centre. Some of the electronics should be reusable, especially the on/off and reset switches. Plenty and plenty of screenshots and research will be put in this thread to show my progress. Hope you'll be interested on knowing how this goes as it'll be an interesting learning process for me and I bet lots of compromises will come into play.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Gonna sub the thread Altough it is impossible for me to handle , it will be interesting to watch your progress

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Just been messing around with various things and I've managed to do the following:

USB 3.0 hub plugged into the wall. The USB ports each provide V5~2.5A. This means that with the Pi 2 it can run at its rated*V5~2A for adequate power (it can run on 1.5A*just!). So I have the Pi 2 powered using the USB hub, the wireless dongle and the wirless keyboard are plugged directly into the Pi 2 and work fine, they don't work via the USB hub though. The USB powered Blu-ray player is working via the USB hub, so the only thing that's remaining is testing a USB HDD powered via the USB hub, if that works then there is zero point in using the PS3's PSU and optical drive, however I would need to purchase a slot based BD player and position it in PS3's slot position. The USB hun is also plugged into the Pi 2 so that it can recognise the BD player and eventual USB HDD.

This would save me a lot of tinkering and a hell of a lot of weight! As a lot of things already work out of the box without issue, all I would need to do is purchase a slim laptop BD player, a new USB 3.0 hub (3*ports - must have V5~2.5A), a non-data USB 3 cable (used only for charging), and various extension cables to go to each PS3 socket. As the PS4 has 4 sockets and an HDMI socket, I will want extension cable to fill these spaces.

If and when the Tiko3D is manufactured, then I'll make custom parts so that I can fit everything together properly. Instead I'll just get everything ready until then.