TV suggestions?

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Ok so at the moment I'm looking for an absolutely ideal television for gaming. I literally will only use it in conjunction with my PS4; so all necessary specs for this use need to be good.
I'm currently running an LG 32LS575T and although I have no qualms with the current picture quality, I am however disheartened when comparing the picture I'm getting when compared to Full HD gameplay videos online.
Is an upgrade necessary? If so what is literally the best thing I can go for, 32-42 inches with a budget of upto around £800; though if an ideal replacement is significantly cheaper, please feel free to suggest it!
Many thanks guys.

LM

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
For gaming, here are some of the best, in order.

Sony W850B series
Samsung 8000 series
Vizio Eoi-B series
LG LB6300 series
Sharp Aquos Q series
Vizio M series ( I am personally using a 65" M series, and I love it)

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
I have the Sony KDL-55W905A part of my main setup and it was bought with gaming being the priority, input lag measures in at 7ms.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-55w905-review

For the upstairs tele I've got the Sony KDL-42w805abu, again main priority gaming and input lag on this set is 6ms which at the time of review is the lowest they had recorded.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl47w805a-201307043162.htm

I got the 42" in a boxing day Christmas sale last year at £599 which was a bargain of a price but currently unsure what the prices are for the set. Having used it for over a year I can highly recommend it, whether it be for gaming or for use as a general TV the image quality is fantastic.

The KDL-42w829b has exceptionally low input lag too and also has excellent reviews, I've seen this set for £650 with a 'free' Sony sound bar included in the package.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w829b-201409143910.htm

It is currently £530 delivered on amazon through a third party seller:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00IJ5RWOK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I've had LG and Panasonic plasmas in the passed but they're abit dated so can't really compare them with these.

Nov 1, 2008
Walking Dead starts back up real soon. After the season ends I believe they are bringing in The Walking Dead Companion series. Currently watching the two shows Stone Cold runs and slightly watching Shameless. I think The Flash isn't too bad and Gotham is better. Oh yeah, just started watch 12 Monkeys a couple weeks ago.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="jamesobachand, post: 6417116]Walking Dead starts back up real soon. After the season ends I believe they are bringing in The Walking Dead Companion series. Currently watching the two shows Stone Cold runs and slightly watching Shameless. I think The Flash isn't too bad and Gotham is better. Oh yeah, just started watch 12 Monkeys a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I guess you didn't read the OP. lol

I'll check out The Flash though. :p

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
[QUOTE="jamesobachand, post: 6417116]Walking Dead starts back up real soon. After the season ends I believe they are bringing in The Walking Dead Companion series. Currently watching the two shows Stone Cold runs and slightly watching Shameless. I think The Flash isn't too bad and Gotham is better. Oh yeah, just started watch 12 Monkeys a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]
Don't think he's after TV programme suggestions mate ;)

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="LM-93, post: 6417084]Ok so at the moment I'm looking for an absolutely ideal television for gaming. I literally will only use it in conjunction with my PS4; so all necessary specs for this use need to be good.
I'm currently running an LG 32LS575T and although I have no qualms with the current picture quality, I am however disheartened when comparing the picture I'm getting when compared to Full HD gameplay videos online.
Is an upgrade necessary? If so what is literally the best thing I can go for, 32-42 inches with a budget of upto around £800; though if an ideal replacement is significantly cheaper, please feel free to suggest it!
Many thanks guys.

LM[/QUOTE]

I'd look into the SONY BRAVIA KDL42W829 and the Samsung UE40H6700/UE40H6670.

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Cheers guys
I really can't decide from the ones you've all suggested though; which one should I go for?! Ha
I just want an absolutely awesome picture; mine is decent but I'm fed up of playing a game and then someone playing the exact same one next to me but it just looks so much more vivid and beautiful ha

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Guys help, :( im in currys now and I have no idea what I'm doing.
Also the sales rep is chatting so much shit it's unreal.
Obviously I've been looking at the W8 and the Samsung but he's claiming both of them are garbage and if I'm ps4 gaming I should opt for an LG 40ub800v a 4k TV for around the same price.
The only concern im having is the upscaling etc because games aren't running at 4k yet..
He's also claiming im gonna have to spend £40 on an HD 2.0 cable because the one I got with the PS4 box will not cut it

What do I do haha, quick! <3 you guts

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="LM-93, post: 6418476]Guys help, :( im in currys now and I have no idea what I'm doing.
Also the sales rep is chatting so much $#@! it's unreal.
Obviously I've been looking at the W8 and the Samsung but he's claiming both of them are garbage and if I'm ps4 gaming I should opt for an LG 40ub800v a 4k TV for around the same price.
The only concern im having is the upscaling etc because games aren't running at 4k yet..
He's also claiming im gonna have to spend £40 on an HD 2.0 cable because the one I got with the PS4 box will not cut it

Tell him to shove it and walk out.

Just go home, ask around on this forum (listed below) and see what they recommend:

https://www.avforums.com/

What do I do haha, quick! <3 you guts[/QUOTE]

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Yeah I told him to fucking ram it and went for a 50 inch w8 series.
Not quite sure how to get the best out of it so far though, Driveclub looks crumby.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="LM-93, post: 6418531]Yeah I told him to $#@!ing ram it and went for a 50 inch w8 series.
Not quite sure how to get the best out of it so far though, Driveclub looks crumby.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the PS4, but it likely has these settings somewhere.

Make sure you set your PS4 up to TV space color (limited) NOT full-RGB. There's a misconception that you should choose full-rgb to give you deeper black but all that will do is crush detail. TV's work in limited color space, monitors work in full rgb color space.

On your TV, select the normal setting and wind down sharpness, turn of any and all "motion flow" settings as well. Any of these "extra" things will screw up you image and timings.

I'm not sure if the PS4 has a calibration tool, but if it does, use it, you'll likely find the brightness needs a boost.

Have a read of this:

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6418550]Not sure about the PS4, but it likely has these settings somewhere.

Make sure you set your PS4 up to TV space color (limited) NOT full-RGB. There's a misconception that you should choose full-rgb to give you deeper black but all that will do is crush detail. TV's work in limited color space, monitors work in full rgb color space.

On your TV, select the normal setting and wind down sharpness, turn of any and all "motion flow" settings as well. Any of these "extra" things will screw up you image and timings.

I'm not sure if the PS4 has a calibration tool, but if it does, use it, you'll likely find the brightness needs a boost.

Have a read of this:

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/[/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJO8JG7SS4

I watched this dude, he did an awesome guide how to set up tv for gaming. close to your describtion. The config has lots to do with performance it seems. I didn't like this at all. I set everything on the game looks way better but there is a clear lag. Wish we could have TV's only for gaming.

[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6492620]Ceiling-mount a 1080p projector, purchase blinders, build a ~120 inch projector screen (aim at <$200) and sport closed headphones. Cost me roughly $800 (8000 NOK).[/QUOTE]

didn't you have already one projector before ?

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6492628]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJO8JG7SS4

I watched this dude, he did an awesome guide how to set up tv for gaming. close to your describtion. The config has lots to do with performance it seems. I didn't like this at all. I set everything on the game looks way better but there is a clear lag. Wish we could have TV's only for gaming.

didn't you have already one projector before ?[/QUOTE]

It's called a monitor!