Uefa 2008 (= Fifa 2008.5)

Jan 16, 2008
I have played Pro Evo all my life. Well, ever since it existed. I have bought every title since Pro Evo 1 on PS2, and never looked outside of it for my football gaming.

Well, this year, to be honest, it was a little bit ****e. Before they'd made few improvements year on year, but this year, they took loads of features out, completely inexplicably. The gameplay is ok on PS3, but it's quite slow, you can't edit kits and to be honest I can beat the computer way too easily. I am a huge football fan, and have a real need for realism. This year, Pro Evo just can't provide that for me.

So last weekend, my laser on my 60gb went. I took it back and got offered 40gb and a refund of the difference - which I took, in the form of EA Sport's latest football game, UEFA 2008. At first, I was amazed. There are some obvious plusses over Pro Evo. It certainly has realism by the bucket load. By holding down L2 and flicking around the right analog, all kinds of moves can be pulled. The passing isn't as crisp as Pro Evo - everything is alot slower, including players changing direction. It's all more realistic. At first, I couldn't get enough.

I ripped through a tournament with England (ha!) on easy. The commentary was fantastic, even comments that had nothing to do with the game came on during boring spells of play. It was very easy - I could walk through the defence and smack it home with Rooney whenever I wanted. I was loving this game - next I did some scenarios then I attacked a full qualification with Ireland on the professional level.

Oops. Suddenly this game took a turn for the worse. There's one set of rules for the computer, and another for the human. The skills are mostly useless - I find it impossible to make the player do the same skill every time, even though I'm moving the stick exactly as I was before. You can pass the ball up to the forwards easily - but every team plays such a deep back line at higher difficulties that you then hit a brick wall. Any passes are intercepted, and any skills are tackled. If they've got the ball, any tackles go to them or out for a throw in. Then 5 seconds are wasted as you're forced to look at the opposition's coach pointing around on the touchline.

If you wanted to sit down and play a 90 minute game of football on your PS3, this is the game to do it on. It's that realistic. But the problem is, no-one wants to do that! There has to be a balance between entertainment and realism. This game is so impressive, so realistic, but playing it honestly just makes me want to smash my PS3 into tiny, tiny little pieces. And if Andy Townsend tells me I've been reading comic books one more time I may hunt him down and kill him.

Also, it makes no difference whatsover what team you are. It's no easier with Italy against Liechtenstein than it is with San Marino against France. The game is also very buggy - quite often, I'd say every other game, one of the opposition players will just go invisible. He can still do everything he would normally do, but you just can't see him. It's so very annoying when you're passing around your back four and suddenly the invisible man makes an interception and smashes the ball home.

This game gives you realism, but way too much. In Pro Evo, the players are much more responsive, and the advantage is always with the attacker. It leads to exciting games, which are entertaining, although obviously that game has its huge faults. Here, I just can't extract any fun out of this game at all, apart from the initial amazement at the level of detail which just goes after a few hours play.

So if you want to play a football game, and you haven't bought one this year yet, don't. In my opinion, neither series deserves your money.

Apr 23, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
[QUOTE="deanosrs, post: 0]

This game gives you realism, but way too much. [/quote]

The more realism the better imo, this game with mates is the best football games since PES 3, plays better than fifa 08 and it's on a different level to the abysmal PES 2008.

Fifa 09 is going to be something extra special i feel, Can Seabass work his magic this year? If not then it's the end for PES.

Jan 16, 2008
Well, to be quite honest, I'd rather not end up screaming at my PS3 in frustration that yet again San Marino have spent 5 minutes of my life passing the ball around their back four.

I have found a mode which I can enjoy here though that I didn't mention before - captain your country two player. It means you can let the computer do the annoyingly frustrating job of winning the ball and focus on the best bits of the game, i.e. the forward play and skills.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for footie games next year though. PES2009 needs a massive, massive improvement over 2008. The one thing that's making me lean towards FIFA at the moment is the presentation of Euro 2008. It's all so neat, and I love that it has all the official kits and lineups (apart from, for some reason, Wales and Holland - what's up with that?!).

Feli

Veteran
Mar 5, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
but have you tried Fifa 2008? it is a GREAT game, in my opinion. like you, I've stuck to the Pro Evo series for years before getting Fifa. last year I needed my footie fix early and PES wasn't coming out until 2008, so I figured why not, I enjoyed the demo enough.

I play the game quite regularly, even until now. it has a decent dose of realism and while there are a few quirks, I can get past them because it really is a good game. if there's a game that makes me hold my hands up and admit that EA actually did something good with one of their franchises for once, Fifa is it.

I'm not buying Euro '08 though. I'll be watching the competition and rooting for Spain, but I don't feel the need to buying it when Fifa '08 has all the international teams. I did enjoy the World Cup game they brought out 2 years ago, but this is different since I have and still play Fifa.

Jan 16, 2008
Well I could get my hands on the Euro game for cheaper! I kind of wish I had the FIFA but there's a few features Euro has over it. For instance, the captain your country modes and the goal celebrations are both very nice additions.

Push comes to shove, next year I'll buy FIFA. I'm beginning to get more tolerant of UEFA the more I play! I really hope that Seabass can get PES going again though. It would be a shame for that series to die. But to be honest, the control system is less than ideal compared with FIFA - ie, R2 makes much more sense than R1 for sprinting because of the analog on the R2 shoulder button. Also, the tricks in UEFA feel like when you move the right analog stick, the players feet move in tandem with your thumb. Tapping L1 for stepovers in PES is hardly the same. I was thinking today - no PES buttons have changed since PES1 on the PS2. For a series now six years down the line, that I'm afraid is inexcusable.

Jan 16, 2008
2 more bugs discovered today. Not exactly small ones again either.

1. Having taken a corner, the opposition counter attacked. I brought one player back (the one I was controlling) but the others remained in the opposition's penalty box. Since it was like 9 vs. 1, they passed it through and scored.

2. The commentary in my third group game said I'd already qualified. So I pissed about a bit and lost, only to find out that I got knocked out and it overwrote my game save. Very, very annoying when I'd played all the way through the qualifiers with Ireland.

People complained about PES not being "finished" this year. Well, the bugs in UEFA are to be honest dispicable and far, far worse than a simple bit of slowdown.

Jan 16, 2008
Well I'd hope so Jikoo. I doubt they'd throw away the gains in UEFA and not bother to make it any better!

I hope they get all these bugs fixed, though, it's really hampering my enjoyment of the game.