UK Price much more than N.A.s?

Dec 11, 2005
I was looking at Wikipedia and noticed that with the Xbox 360, the North American launch price was WAAY lower than the Europe/UK launch price, with both the core and premium versions. I'll just use the premium as an example.

It was $399 in the US, which comes out at roughly £225. But it sold in the UK for £280. That means that we're losing around £55, which is around $95. I would have understood if Microsoft made the price between £230 and £250, but if I bought an Xbox 360 in the UK, I would feel slightly cheated out of my money.

Anyway, to my question. Is the same thing likely to happen with the PS3? I mean, say the PS3 launches in N.A. at $500, which is roughly £285, would it be likely that Sony push the UK launch price up to around £350, maybe?

markyp23

Apprentice
Oct 4, 2005
Yes. It's a disgrace..

The PS2 launched for £299 and $299 respective to the countries.

The £299 price tag is equivalent to $500+ dollars, which is an outrage. I can't believe I paid it, and that I'll pay it again come launch later this year. Ah well, "boys will be boys". :eek:

D0nni3

Superior Member
Jan 5, 2006
yea it's the way life is they pay $500 we could even end up payin £500 althought i doubt it and the thing that gets me more we have to pay more to wait longer for the console :(

Dec 11, 2005
markyp23 said:
Yes. It's a disgrace..

The £299 price tag is equivalent to $500+ dollars, which is an outrage. I can't believe I paid it, and that I'll pay it again come launch later this year. Ah well, "boys will be boys". :eek:
Wow, that's a big difference - makes the Xbox 360 price increase look not too bad! If Sony DO give us, say, a $150 price difference or more then I'm writing a letter to complain. But this won't matter, will it? Because the PS3 will play all region CDs, PS2 games, DVDs, etc. right?

I'm hoping that the PS3 launches at $500 in the US and £300 in the UK. That would be very fair :).

S

Spike1977UK

Yep welcome to rip off UK, here we pay more than anyone else does in the world and are told we are better off for it - yeah right :roll:

proof

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2005
No, only the games will be region free, i am lead to belive that DVD's (or blu ray movies) are region coded

D0nni3

Superior Member
Jan 5, 2006
well from what ive heard the Japanese and NA consoles will have the same region, region free hasn't been confermed though

i think most likly it will launch here for about £300 the same as xbox and in the us $500

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
You have to keep in mind that companies aren't the only ones who price it higher. Things like a higher import tax, etc also push the prices up. Some countries have a 100% import tax on certain products while others only have 4%.

Jan 22, 2006
Well let's see what we pay here in Sweden ($)

Xbox 360 Core: $381
Xbox 360 Premium: $507
PGR 3: $88
Sony PSP: $320
Random PSP game: $63

Inc. tax (25%)

Nstriker20

Forum Elder
Jul 24, 2005
www.ps3forums.com
It depends on where you are around the world. IF something cost $400 in U.S.A and it sold in London for like £500, that means that the extra cost for those in London are being covered by Shipping & handling and also stocking in on shelves in a store or a warehouse. The company can't sell it at the same price in London because they will be losing money, and companies are here to make money plain and simple.

Same goes for London, If some is sold in London for Like £100 it would be sold in U.S.A for like $300. Thats how it works.

Dec 27, 2005
Nstriker20 said:
It depends on where you are around the world. IF something cost $400 in U.S.A and it sold in London for like £500, that means that the extra cost for those in London are being covered by Shipping & handling and also stocking in on shelves in a store or a warehouse. The company can't sell it at the same price in London because they will be losing money, and companies are here to make money plain and simple.

Same goes for London, If some is sold in London for Like £100 it would be sold in U.S.A for like $300. Thats how it works.
Not always true I'm afraid. I've seen items sold in US for say $50 and sold in UK for £50. Thats a huge difference, and u can't really say that is costs THAT much to ship it. UK always do have to pay more for goods than the US. It is a fact

Dec 27, 2005
well technically it is the Uk's fault... stupid strong pound... lol. Thats kinda why we pay so much, cause the pound is worth so much more than many other currencies

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Usually before we get the hardware we get hit by 3 taxes before it gets to us consimers, firstly there's the import tax to bring the hardware into the country, then there's a resellers tax, then we buy the item at another 17.5% tax, that's an awful lot of tax per item we get, but if you think about it, the UKs minimum wage is actually much higher than that in the US, in fact the average wage in the UK is one of the highest in the world, which is why we pay a premium on anything, that's why when we go aborad everything is so cheap, simply because our earnings are so high that it makes it seem that elsewhere is so cheap, but when we compare from other countries then we see as if we get ripped off, true, but our standard of living is one of the best and we have to pay premium for it, same for most European countries...

X

Xaor

if its £400 i'll really struggle to buy it...

£400 with game, extra controller, memory device.

NOT just for the main console.-

X

Xaor

if its £400 i'll really struggle to buy it...

£400 with game, extra controller, memory device (Not hd, the cheap-version of mem)

NOT just for the main console.

£300 for the core console =]

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
markyp23 said:
Yes. It's a disgrace..

The PS2 launched 5 years ago. 5 years ago, the pound was worth a lot less, so no, you did not pay an equivalent of 500USD. Back then, I think it was a pound to USD1.2 or USD1.3, which is about USD388.

Btw, if you think you're getting ripped off, you should check out what people in Australia and New Zealand have to shell out for their electronics.

Carousel

Superior Member
Dec 6, 2005
I've been waiting ages for a thread like this.

If the difference in price is so much more in the uk than us then hell, ill import it myself. Dont care about movies, if i''m saving a good £100 then ill gladly sacrifice the movies so i can buy more games.

D0nni3

Superior Member
Jan 5, 2006
yep cera is spot on there the pound is alot stronger now thx for remindin me of that so i would expect the console to not be a huge amount over the US and in the worst case being that in shops is madly overpriced suft the net for uk site that are selling you will be able to find a better deal

Carousel

Superior Member
Dec 6, 2005
I think my dad paid someting like £600 for a PS and 10 games when it came out in like 1995 or whatever. If I can get a similar deal on PS3 then I'll be ecstatic. But my thinking is itll cost like £400 for the console alone, and I reckon game prices will go up to about £50-£60 becaus of more expensive media formats and longer development times. So at th end, thats a console and 4 games, with no peripherals for £600 :(

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
People seem to forget about local sales tax in the US. UK prices always include tax, but US prices don't. An Xbox 360 at $400 + 10% sales tax works out at roughly £251, which is only around 10% cheaper than the UK price. Hardly worth worrying about, especially compared to the original Xbox fiasco.

Several years ago, the dollar was much stronger than it is now, which gave rise to the straight $ - £ conversions, like with PS2. $299 = £299...fair enough, I don't live in the US, and I don't want to, so that was the price to pay! However, the dollar is much weaker now, and so we now get $ - € conversions, as seen with the Xbox 360. The UK then got a reasonably fair conversion from euros into pounds.

This has only served to benefit the UK market, because whereas before we'd typically pay 33% more for our games consoles, we only pay 10% more compared to the US.

As long as currencies stay relatively still, there is no way SONY could force another $ - £ conversion onto us. They would have to do what Microsoft did, doing a $ - € conversion, giving the pound a fair conversion from there. If the PS3 launched at $450, I'd estimate a UK price of £319.99, maybe £349.99 absolute maximum.

Carousel, there is absolutely no way you'll save £100 by importing, certainly from the US. If what I say above is correct, by the time you factor in postage, import duty, and VAT on top of that lot, you'll be looking at spending way more than my estimated £319 - more like £350+. I personally would rather wait and pay a similar price for the UK model with full warranty.

B

Bhav

Britain is rip off nation. And even though you can't just convert between currencies to determine price, we do still pull the short straw every time.

Taking VAT into account usually brings the prices closer, but still doesnt do justice.

Mr Turnip

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2006
Okay, i get the price difference but how can it be that major? like Masterthug said in the second post of this thread; "us pay 400$ for ps3 while we will pay £400", if that is the case then we in the UK will be paying the equivalent of 700$, while we should be paying around £230 if i'm not mistaken. (£230 = about 400 USD). If this is true then me getting the PS3 at launch will be very unlikely.

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
Carousel said:
I've been waiting ages for a thread like this.

If the difference in price is so much more in the uk than us then hell, ill import it myself. Dont care about movies, if i''m saving a good £100 then ill gladly sacrifice the movies so i can buy more games.
You're forgetting customs duties and shipping costs. I'm pretty sure the PS3 won't weigh very light. And you'll also have to buy a converter as well because the North American/Japanese one will be 110 volts.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Bhav said:
Britain is rip off nation. And even though you can't just convert between currencies to determine price, we do still pull the short straw every time.

Taking VAT into account usually brings the prices closer, but still doesnt do justice.
Life isn't just about buying consoles and other "rip-off" items! You get what you pay for, and in my case, I pay to live in Britian because like it or not, it is one of the nicer places to live on this planet. Sure, there are cheaper places, but only if you don't mind risking your life on every trip out. OK, so that's a bit extreme, but in the overall scheme of things, while there are genuinely better places to live, there are also far worse places to live too.

Anyway, as I said earlier, things are moving forwards. 33% difference on consoles has dropped to 10%, and things like cars are also coming down all the time.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Mr Turnip said:
Okay, i get the price difference but how can it be that major? like Masterthug said in the second post of this thread; "us pay 400$ for ps3 while we will pay £400", if that is the case then we in the UK will be paying the equivalent of 700$, while we should be paying around £230 if i'm not mistaken. (£230 = about 400 USD). If this is true then me getting the PS3 at launch will be very unlikely.
Just read a few posts up and you'll see that there is absolutely no way SONY can enforce another straight $ - £ conversion. The exchange rates simply won't allow that. If PS3 launches at $400, then that will equate to €400, and therefore roughly £280, much like Xbox 360. Of course, exchange rates can change, so we'll just have to keep an eye on things.